Teppanyaki, Moderno or La Cucina

uneamie

i dont believe that moderno offers any type of fish, it's strictly set  up for carnivores.

you can however, log into your reservation, click on the "dining" look up moderno and it will show you a copy of the menu.

1 hour ago, uneamie said:

Do they have ANY fish at Moderno? Party of 4 and all of us like meat except for hubby. He is a fish eater. We want to this restaurant but not sure unless there's some fish on the menu. 

I don't believe there is any fish, but there is chicken if he eats that.  there is also the salad bar, which includes soups, some veggies, sushi and some salmon

• Like 1

My husband does not eat red meat but there was enough for him eating chicken and pork.  There’s cooked (cold) salmon fillet in the buffet too.

Catherine

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EngrJones said:

Easy.  Teppanyaki.  I love the shrimp and scallops hot off the grill (or whatever that thing is called).  I also like the show.  It's the same every time, so if you're so inclined you can memorize the lyrics to "can't help falling in love with you" (Elvis) before you go.  Those are good lyrics to donate a few memory cells to anyways.😎

The rice is good, but I would like it better with about twice as much garlic butter.

At least we agree on one thing on these boards! 

17 hours ago, cruiser1961 said:

That's where we're at.  Love the food - it's amazing! Yet getting tired of the same old same old after 6 times.  

Earlier on, we thought Teppanyaki would be a great way to meet other travellers and somehow connect for future onboard things.  We could do the same old thing if it meant connecting with new folks.

However, the last 3 times, we've only been teamed up with groups of 6 or 8 who have no interest in interacting with others at the table.  (Maybe it's our choice of dining time?)  In any case, we have decided that we won't do this any more.

Lita

We always go, as a couple, exactly the opposite of you. We hope for no interaction with others. We've always been paired with other couples, never a big group. And, thankfully, other than a cursory hello, we all slide into conversation with our beloved and don't have awkward group conversation. I do apply the liquor as liberally as possible before and during dinner, in case a strident talker decides to announce their presence. I've been so grateful to not have this....I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment next time I'm in Teppanyaki/Hasuki. 

uneamie

i would also like to point out (should have mentioned it prior post) if your husband isnt a meat eater, unless he can gorge himself at the salad bar, moderno is probably a waste of money, or the freebie dinner. even with the all you can eat salad bar, it's probably not worth the price.

unless you absolutely must try it, i would "STRONGLY" recommend you pass on this restaurant. le bistro has a vey nice sea bass offering, and if he likes chicken, coq au vin

regardless, enjoy your cruise and bon voyage

19 hours ago, Scubadoc said:

What should we do for our final choice? We are not fans of Asian food so that’s out.  

I'm so confused. Is Teppanyaki NOT Asian? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You can keep to yourself. Most do. But, Teppanyaki is the hardest seat to get on the ship. If you didn't book it immediately at 120 days prior to departure, it will be hard to get a seat. They have very limited seating. 

I’ve booked it several times well under that amount of days.

While that is obviously “ideal,” it is far from required.

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

uneamie

i would also like to point out (should have mentioned it prior post) if your husband isnt a meat eater, unless he can gorge himself at the salad bar, moderno is probably a waste of money, or the freebie dinner. even with the all you can eat salad bar, it's probably not worth the price.

unless you absolutely must try it, i would "STRONGLY" recommend you pass on this restaurant. le bistro has a vey nice sea bass offering, and if he likes chicken, coq au vin

regardless, enjoy your cruise and bon voyage

Disagree completely. I STRONGLY recommend that you avoid Le Bistro. The menu has gone down hill more than any other speciality restaurant. 

zqvol i appreciate y our position, but arent we comparing apples to oranges?  op's husband doesnt eat meat, so moderno imho would be a waste of $$$.

i'm sure they dont want to end up in the buffet or mdr's every night, and even with some  other things on the menu, cagney's is still a carnivores hangout. it was just a suggestion as an alternative to moderno

while the menu may have gone south (or downhill) if you will, they still offer dishes he can  eat, and maybe enjoy. i dont really have anything negative to say about their fillet, especially since they removed that horrid liver. the sea bass isnt bad, lobster thermidor is good, although not necessarily worth the $25 upcharge, and my wife is very happy with the coq au vin. i concede that le bistro is not my #1 choice for specialty dining, but i find most of the specialty dining choices have also gone downhill in the past few years, so it's a matter  of choosing the lesser of 2 or 3 or four evils. note, i havent been on a ship with any other specialty restaurants, other than moderno, cagney's la cucina or le bistro, so i cant comment on the  others.

we'll be on the prima in sept, i'll be sure to give the others a try

I'm a little late to the table here (no pun intended), but I want to put in a strong vote for Teppanyaki.  It's not a restaurant you'd go to more than once on a cruise, but it's good for a single dinner, especially to have some variety.  I generally order the steak and shrimp, which is still good even after they downgraded the type of steak.  The show is "fun" if you've never seen it before.  There's no problem interacting or not with the others seated around the table.  (Avoid the green tea ice cream dessert.  Yuck.) 

And I want to put in a strong vote against Moderno, at least on the Jewel-class ships, of which the Pearl is one.  NCL just can't pull off a churrascaria imho.  We've given Moderno a number of tries, and the meats just are not good, period.  Go to a good one on land, pass on this one on a ship.  If you need more meat, go to Cagney's again.  🙂  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, complawyer said:

we'll be on the prima in sept, i'll be sure to give the others a try

Be sure to try the food court for dinner.  It's not just for breakfast and lunch.

On another note, I know you avoid using the shift key whenever possible, but if you want to "knock on someone's door" on Cruise Critic, so to speak, using the "at sign" and spelling the first few letters of their user name will bring up a list of all the similar names registered on CC.  Just scroll and click, then @complawyer will pop up in a blue bubble.  That will send them an alert so you don't have to wonder if they got your message.  Try it.  Hope that helps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Traveling Man said:

"knock on someone's door" on Cruise Critic, s

I don't think he cares...I find it endearing as it means I always have to read all my friend's posts to see if he mentioned me. 🙂 

We used to love Le Bistro, but really disliked how it's been remodeled on the Gem.  Has it been remodeled on the Pearl?  On the Gem, it's now totally sterile, there's no warmth to the place at all.  

1 minute ago, complawyer said:

hey turtle, while i agree in principle, unless you're using one of your freebies, at this point i no longer feel that teppanyaki is worth the price of admission

I assumed the OP was asking about using one of their freebies.  🙂  

traveling man, for many years (to many to mention i'm afraid) ive always been impressed with your comments and knowledge re ncl questions. however, as ive posted many times before, i admit to being technologically challenged, and i doubt i'll be "knocking on anyone's door.

i also hate to admit this, but i have absolutely no idea what you're talking about

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

Of the three La Cucina is our choice these days!!   We are too old for Teppanyaki and Moderno is "off" compared to 5 years ago.

I agree with you, Mike.  While the seafood in Teppanyaki is still very good, the "show" is a "been there, done that" experience for us.  The salad bar in Moderno is still a real winner, but the meat offerings are no longer very appealing.  Many are either bland or overcooked.  La Cucina can be hit or miss, but we usually are able to find something appealing.  In fact, the best steak I ever had on an NCL ship was in La Cucina on the Epic a couple of years ago.

James

• Like 1

I'll be the La Cucina fan.  One of my favorite and would choose it over Cagneys.  The Teppanyaki doesn't seem to be a value to me when I look at what I pay for it at home.  At La Cucina I love the osso bucco and also the filet with blue cheese ravioli is better than any steak I have gotten at Cagneys.  

29 minutes ago, hladygirl said:

My favorite restaurant on the last 2 cruises was the complimentary Asian restaurant. Spring rolls, fried pot stickers and Peking chicken was awesome.

I've been on ships where that is very good and, more recently, very bad.  That's a shame, because I really like it when it's good.

What about cagneys good meat and fish. Maderno is not great meat tough. Pineapple for desert that you can make at home. Tepanaki had great meat and fish and if you dont want rise ask fir the noodles. All good. Cagneys and tepanaki way to go. Maderno not worth the dining voucher fir the salad bar.