Hotels and Map

Posted (edited)

Hi All. Happy Summer!

We are leaving on our cruise July 29th. We are flying in to FLL on July 28th. So we are looking for a 1-night stay there.

I just have a few questions that I am hoping someone can answer for me.

1. Has anyone stayed at the Marriott North hotel on 650 North Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309? Is this a nice hotel and good location to the Port? Is there any Grocery Store and Pharmacy in walking distance?

2.  Does anyone have some other hotel suggestions that are not to far from the port, is a nice hotel, has a grocery store and Pharmacy close by and maybe close to the water taxi? Water taxis is not a priority, just thought it would be nice.

3. The last time I was in Ft. Lauderdale, we stayed at the Hilton Marina. I think it was a Marriott at the time. We liked it but there were really no restaurants around and a long walk to the market and pharmacy. We ended up taking an UBER.  We would rather have some restaurants and markets near by.

4. Has anyone stayed at the Hyatt Place on 17th st. and booked it through Value Trips? What was your experience?

4. Last but not least, does anyone know where I can find a map of the different Ft. Lauderdale areas with the hotels so I can see what the distance to the port would be from the hotels we look at?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer us. It is greatly appreciated.

Nancy 

Edited by NRichard10
added a question.

Google maps will answer all your questions, very easily. Just put in the address of the hotels you are researching. You can zoom either in or out to check nearby services and distances. 

For reviews, go to hotels dot com, kayak dot com, tripadvisor dot com.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, NRichard10 said:

4. Has anyone stayed at the Hyatt Place on 17th st. and booked it through Value Trips? What was your experience?

Nancy 

I have used Value Trips a few times with no problem.  My last visit I saved $90 over booking direct with the hotel price.

The price you see on their site does not include taxes. A credit card is used to hold the booking.  They do have black out dates.  You will receive a confirmation email with your booking number, it will show the total hotel cost.  If you need to cancel/change your booking, you call direct to the hotel.  

I always call after receiving the confirmation email, to make sure I am booked.

I have not used the shuttle from airport to hotel, there is a small charge.  At check in, if you want the $ shuttle to Port Everglades, sign up.  Taxi might be cheaper.

It can get busy in the morning on embarkment days for breakfast - buffet, scrambled eggs, sausage, bread, yogurt, tea/coffee/juice, enough to get you to the ship.

There are many restaurants around the hotel, grocery.

Edited by phabric

The hotel you have listed is at least 10 miles from the port and I have never been there. Hyatt Place is the cheapest in the 17th. street area though V.T. this time of year, but this late of a booking I am sure they would have no rooms at the V.T. rate. You could still try but I would just try Trivago  being so close to your trip. We love Hyatt Place and stay there often. Any hotel along 17th. street would be fine for 1 night.

The Marriott property you listed is several miles from the port. I just made reservations at the AC Marriott at the Fort Lauderdale airport.

They have a complementary shuttle from the airport to the hotel and according to the information I found it is within walking distance to several restaurants and shopping. We haven’t stayed there yet, but it’s coming up soon.

I stayed at the Hyatt on 17th earlier this year, and it was lovely. I arrived VERY early (just before noon, when all of the previous night's people were checking out and waiting for port shuttles, and I think there were 4 ships in that day, so it was VERY busy), and the desk very happily stored my luggage so that I could go out and do my running around. 

I'm a walker/public transit rider, so my idea of what is walkable might be a bit skewed, but the Publix was easily accessible, there's a CVS on the corner (turn left on 17th off the street the Hyatt is on), and a Starbucks in one of the strip malls across 17th.

The breakfast was quite busy, but I got my food and took it back to my room.  

On 7/14/2024 at 11:17 AM, NRichard10 said:

4. Last but not least, does anyone know where I can find a map of the different Ft. Lauderdale areas with the hotels so I can see what the distance to the port would be from the hotels we look at?

Nancy 

On 7/14/2024 at 12:04 PM, EatonDoolittle said:

Google maps will answer all your questions, very easily. Just put in the address of the hotels you are researching. You can zoom either in or out to check nearby services and distances. 

For reviews, go to hotels dot com, kayak dot com, tripadvisor dot com.  

Google maps will answer your questions.  At the top of the page are tabs for restaurants and hotels,  You can also inpur pharmacy and grocery stores in the map search bar.

12 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

stayed at the Hyatt on 17th earlier this year.

The breakfast was quite busy, but I got my food and took it back to my room.  

additional seating is available in the conference room. Plenty of seating.

Now, Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon (in Miami) had barely any room to sit down for breakfast, so we ate in our room.

12 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

additional seating is available in the conference room. Plenty of seating.

Now, Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon (in Miami) had barely any room to sit down for breakfast, so we ate in our room.

I ate in my room because I was trying to minimize my potential exposure to covid before getting on a ship for 2+ weeks. (I'll be doing the same thing next March.)  

On 7/14/2024 at 12:17 PM, NRichard10 said:

Hi All. Happy Summer!

We are leaving on our cruise July 29th. We are flying in to FLL on July 28th. So we are looking for a 1-night stay there.

I just have a few questions that I am hoping someone can answer for me.

1. Has anyone stayed at the Marriott North hotel on 650 North Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309? Is this a nice hotel and good location to the Port? Is there any Grocery Store and Pharmacy in walking distance?

2.  Does anyone have some other hotel suggestions that are not to far from the port, is a nice hotel, has a grocery store and Pharmacy close by and maybe close to the water taxi? Water taxis is not a priority, just thought it would be nice.

3. The last time I was in Ft. Lauderdale, we stayed at the Hilton Marina. I think it was a Marriott at the time. We liked it but there were really no restaurants around and a long walk to the market and pharmacy. We ended up taking an UBER.  We would rather have some restaurants and markets near by.

Nancy 

To All:

Thank you everyone for all the comments and suggestions. I really did appreciate all of them.

I think I have narrowed it down to 3 hotels and I'm hoping to get comments and suggestions from everyone as to which one you would suggest. I would like to book something by tomorrow if possible.

1.  ALOFT       2.  HYATT PLACE       3.  COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT DOWNTOWN

Thank you once again for your help. ☺️

We go for Hyatt properties when we travel and take advantage of any/all price saving methods.  Since we always do at least two nights pre-cruise and pick up a rental at the airport, we book either of the Hyatt's in Dania [House and Place across from each other]. Both  17th St and Dania have lots of dining options, stores, etc., within walking distance. 

Last November we arrived very early from a transAtlantic cruise into PE and caught a taxi to Hyatt on 17th from one night - they gave us a room at 9:am. 

I was at Hyatt Regency in Greenwich this past weekend, always a good choice. 

If you do Hyatt, be sure to join the Hyatt Loyalty program, free. 

Darcy

1 hour ago, WatchHill said:

We go for Hyatt properties when we travel and take advantage of any/all price saving methods.  Since we always do at least two nights pre-cruise and pick up a rental at the airport, we book either of the Hyatt's in Dania [House and Place across from each other]. Both  17th St and Dania have lots of dining options, stores, etc., within walking distance. 

Last November we arrived very early from a transAtlantic cruise into PE and caught a taxi to Hyatt on 17th from one night - they gave us a room at 9:am. 

I was at Hyatt Regency in Greenwich this past weekend, always a good choice. 

If you do Hyatt, be sure to join the Hyatt Loyalty program, free. 

Darcy

Darcy, Have you used “Value Trips” when booking the Hyatt Place? Their rate is a little less then published rates, but other people have stated on this board that they use them all the time when booking the Hyatt Place. 
I don’t know if the pricing they show on the site includes taxes and fees. I’m trying to find that out before I give them all my information and find out they are higher priced the published rates. 
Do you have any experience with them. 
Thank you, Nancy

Since we used DH’s business points when booking Hyatt, that beats any other  option. Value rates look good but be sure to verify/confirm with the hotel and be sure it isn’t a black out date. 
As a Hyatt member you can go to “my reservations” on a pull down. I never pre pay. 
Not sure about all the taxes and any added fees. 

Darcy

2 minutes ago, NRichard10 said:

Darcy, Have you used “Value Trips” when booking the Hyatt Place? Their rate is a little less then published rates, but other people have stated on this board that they use them all the time when booking the Hyatt Place. 
I don’t know if the pricing they show on the site includes taxes and fees. I’m trying to find that out before I give them all my information and find out they are higher priced the published rates. 
Do you have any experience with them. 
Thank you, Nancy

On Value Trips website only shows hotel price with no taxes added.  When you get your confirmation email it will show total price - hotel + taxes.

I have used them a few times with no problems.  I saved $90 from their direct hotel price on my last stay.  I called the hotel after receiving my confirmation email to confirm my booking.

The breakfast can be crowded in the morning.  You can sign up for $ shuttle to Port Everglades.  I believe there is a charge from airport to hotel, have to call and request pickup.

I would go ahead & try VT for your dates it may not be available.  If you don't like the rate you can just cancel by calling the Hyatt.  You aren't charged by VT, you pay at the hotel.  Also, as someone suggested Google maps lets you see restaurants, shopping, & other hotels if you want to see what is around one you are considering.

I am a little confused. 

Everyone keeps quoting the Hyatt Place on 17th Street in Ft. Lauderdale, but on their website I only see one that they show as 1851 SE 10th Ave Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Is 17th St. & 10th Ave the same hotel? 

Thank you, Nancy

Yes.  They are referring to the 10 Avenue hotel.  17th Street is the major road on the north side of the port and SE 10 Avenue is a small road off 17th Street.

9 hours ago, capriccio said:

Yes.  They are referring to the 10 Avenue hotel.  17th Street is the major road on the north side of the port and SE 10 Avenue is a small road off 17th Street.

Thank you very much for responding to me so quickly. It was driving me crazy trying to figure that out. 
Nancy