Infinite Balcony Question

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

You’re losing me here, how do you get fresh air into an ocean view cabin? 

IVs are an upgrade to the OceanView.  They open/close and are larger ...

Edited by NMTraveller

Just now, NMTraveller said:

Unfortunately this happens all too often.  People think that the IVs are balconies and then get on the ship and are disappointed.  This is the #1 complaint while on E class.

Got a link? Maybe showing the much lower % capacities of the Edge class of ships compared to M &S class..it has to be much lower, based on your continued comments..

• Haha 2

IVs are an upgrade to the OceanView.  They open/close ...

Pretty sure a balcony is considered an upgrade to an ocean view too. When you were a kid, was your cat an upgraded hamster because it wasn’t a dog? 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

IVs are an upgrade to the OceanView.  They open/close and are larger ...

That didn’t answer my query…let’s stay on point..

Edited by PTC DAWG

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Got a link? Maybe showing the much lower % capacities of the Edge class of ships compared to M &S class..it has to be much lower, based on your continued comments..

As I said before the balconies cabins on E class are sold for more money.  Royal has a 27 IV /73 balcony ratio on their ships.  All cabins sell out on most cruise ships.  Even the President conceded that they will fix this issue on their next class of ships.  They will have a ratio based upon preference.

Edited by NMTraveller

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Unfortunately this happens all too often.  People think that the IVs are balconies and then get on the ship and are disappointed.  This is the #1 complaint while on E class.

People who think an IV is a balcony cabin did not do their homework.  It states Infinite Veranda, does not say balcony.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Liao said:

People who think an IV is a balcony cabin did not do their homework.  It states Infinite Veranda, does not say balcony.

It is not a veranda either when you look at the definition.  It is inside and not outside of the cabin.  People are also used to cruising in balconies on most ships and not the open/close window.

The Celebrity marketing is rather over the top and does not provide important details about the cabin as have been discussed here.

Edited by NMTraveller

As I said before the balconies cabins on E class are sold for more money.  Royal has a 27 IV /73 balcony ratio on their ships.  All cabins sell out on most cruise ships.  Even the President conceded that they will fix this issue on their next class of ships.  They will have a ratio based upon preference.

I fully expect some changes on the next class, much like M to S to E..

It is not a veranda either when you look at the definition.  It is inside and not outside of the cabin.

I'm not getting into the what it is drama, been enough of that.  My point is, if one books it, it says Infinite Veranda, if someone books it then gets in the cabin and is pissed because they don't have a balcony, they did not do their homework.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

So no real data, got it..opinions I get..we all have one. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Liao said:

I'm not getting into the what it is drama, been enough of that.  My point is, if one books it, it says Infinite Veranda, if someone books it then gets in the cabin and is pissed because they don't have a balcony, they did not do their homework.  

A veranda is similar to a balcony.  This is not either.

1 minute ago, Liao said:

And apparently they all report to NMT when they realize this.  🙂

agreed, most folks don’t do much research, which is amazing to me.  

6 minutes ago, Liao said:

I just went to the Celebrity website to see how they advertise the veranda/balcony staterooms. Balcony staterooms are called veranda staterooms. The IV opening window "sunrooms" are also called veranda. Many people would not do a lot of further homework and would assume a veranda is a balcony.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

So no real data, got it..opinions I get..we all have one. 🙂

I just gave you a bunch.  You can look up the price of balcony cabins on E class and compare them to IVs on E class.  The SVs and suites are more expensive.

The 27% IV/73% balcony ratio is another set of data that was researched by Royal to build their ships.

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

As I said before the balconies cabins on E class are sold for more money.  Royal has a 27 IV /73 balcony ratio on their ships.  All cabins sell out on most cruise ships.  Even the President conceded that they will fix this issue on their next class of ships.

Seems like faulty logic at best. Ncl sells smallest inside cabins for solos for much higher than larger inside rooms. It doesn’t mean value is there - people don’t research and the algorithms see them as less supply than demand.  RC is the lower class brand - the fact they put fewer on those ships probably means they expected fewer of those passengers to afford them at a premium. But supply and demand screws the numbers. I still think the majority of people are mostly indifferent until you get to the sunset balconies and such. I agree they get complaints but I doubt it’s that people expected a balcony.  The photos make them fairly clear what they are. 

3 minutes ago, vswan said:

I just went to the Celebrity website to see how they advertise the veranda/balcony staterooms. Balcony staterooms are called veranda staterooms. The IV opening window "sunrooms" are also called veranda. Many people would not do a lot of further homework and would assume a veranda is a balcony.

I recall reading Celebrity marketing at some point where they said that by opening the window, you turn your entire cabin into a veranda. That's how they justified the "infinite veranda" name.

Posted (edited)

I just gave you a bunch.  You can look up the price of balcony cabins on E class and compare them to IVs on E class.  The SVs and suites are more expensive.

The 27% IV/73% balcony ratio is another set of data that was researched by Royal to build their ships.

The suites are more expensive?  Who knew?  SV are more expensive too, on all ships..

Insides are cheaper if you’re curious.  

I find the balcony cabins on S Class to be cheaper than the IV Cabins on E Class…I wonder if anyone has access to the profit margin each class of ship generates..

Edited by PTC DAWG

1 minute ago, vswan said:

Then that is on them, do the research or don't complain if you don't.  They have pictures during the booking process.  I see Veranda, with a very big picture of a woman standing in fron of a window, I also see Concierge Class, same picture.  It's quite clear.  For the record I could give a flying fig what it's called, and the hoopla here is people getting in a dither over what it's called, especially the ones who will never stay in one.  It's humorous to me now, but research is key, if one doesn't do it, oh well, they own it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liao said:

Then that is on them, do the research or don't complain if you don't.  They have pictures during the booking process.  I see Veranda, with a very big picture of a woman standing in fron of a window, I also see Concierge Class, same picture.  It's quite clear.  For the record I could give a flying fig what it's called, and the hoopla here is people getting in a dither over what it's called, especially the ones who will never stay in one.  It's humorous to me now, but research is key, if one doesn't do it, oh well, they own it. 

On point^^^

19 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

The suites are more expensive?  Who knew?  SV are more expensive too, on all ships..

Insides are cheaper if you’re curious.  

I find the balcony cabins on S Class to be cheaper than the IV Cabins on E Class…I wonder if anyone has access to the profit margin each class of ship generates..

The fact that Celebrity put real balconies and not IVs in the SVs and suites shows that Celebrity views a real balcony as an upgrade over a IV ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

It would be more appropriate to compare it to an OceanView cabin. A window to window comparison.  IVs are more like an upgraded OceanView ...

Except the OV cabin windows...don't open.  😉 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Liao said:

Well the purpose of marketing is always to present an honest view of a company’s product.  Right?

When I research cabins I look at YouTube videos.  But I don’t blame someone who reads the Celebrity marketing material and gets confused.  If we explained that these are cabins with windows would that be accurate?

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

Pretty sure a balcony is considered an upgrade to an ocean view too. When you were a kid, was your cat an upgraded hamster because it wasn’t a dog? 

OMG...that is one of the funniest posts I have read in a long time.  Thanks for the laugh!!  😄 😄 

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Where did you get this information, total nonsense?

• Haha 1