Temporary government ID ?

We are cruising Sunday and one of our cruisers just lost his wallet. He doesn’t have a drivers license, just state issued ID. If her gets a temporary one, which does have his picture, will that suffice? Anyone have experience with this?

23 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

We are cruising Sunday and one of our cruisers just lost his wallet. He doesn’t have a drivers license, just state issued ID. If her gets a temporary one, which does have his picture, will that suffice? Anyone have experience with this?

Where are you sailing to?  Personally, I always take my passport with me, as that covers every eventuality.  In some instances, a birth certificate and a picture ID will work, also.  So, just to understand, the lost wallet had a state ID, but that's lost?  To me, any temporary ID would be a roll of the dice.  Check with NCL.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Where are you sailing to?  Personally, I always take my passport with me, as that covers every eventuality.  In some instances, a birth certificate and a picture ID will work, also.  So, just to understand, the lost wallet had a state ID, but that's lost?  To me, any temporary ID would be a roll of the dice.  Check with NCL.

Nice non answer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Simple question, though the website is best, but, are you stopping in Canada?  If yes, you'll need a passport. 

That's what I was wondering, too!

24 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Simple question, though the website is best, but, are you stopping in Canada?  If yes, you'll need a passport. 

Incorrect answer. If it is a closed loop cruise it is not necessary. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Incorrect. If you are on a shore excursion that crosses a border (e.g., Skagway), you will need a passport. If you are just getting off in Victoria, you're fine without one.  

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

Sounds o.k. I have no idea what a "temporary" state ID is. If they print out a card with his picture on it, sounds kinda permanent to me. 

21 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sounds o.k. I have no idea what a "temporary" state ID is. If they print out a card with his picture on it, sounds kinda permanent to me. 

A temporary state ID is usually just a piece of paper with a grainy photo on it that you can use until your actual card is received. Arizona used to print out an actual card while you waited but now give you the paper one and mail the permanent one to your home.

The proper person to give you an answer is @Ferry_Watcher. She actually works check in at Seattle (though not for NCL, but all the other lines). She should know what check in people are taught to look for, and if temporary id is enough what at a minimum it would have to contain.

(I would not be surprised if she said you will be sent to a supervisor.)

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

7 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

A temporary state ID is usually just a piece of paper with a grainy photo on it that you can use until your actual card is received. Arizona used to print out an actual card while you waited but now give you the paper one and mail the permanent one to your home.

What am I missing?  Looking at the link, it sounds like a "temporary" ID (piece of paper) might not work.  Personally, would not risk it, especially given the BMV will print out a non-driver's license ID (at least they do in my state).  But, if they're sailing tomorrow, guess they'll find out soon enough if they can sail.

U.S. Citizens

For Cruises Leaving From a U.S. Port to the Caribbean, Bahamas & Florida, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Canada & New England, Pacific Coastal

On cruises that begin and end in the same US port and do not sail through the Panama Canal or to any South American ports, you are required to carry one of the below documents:

A Valid Passport

OR

Proof of Citizenship (see below) AND Government-issued photo ID 

(Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.)

• State certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship
  • U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad
  • Enhanced Driver’s License (enhanced driver’s licenses are only issued in Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington)
  • A valid passport card

Photocopies or pictures of documents will not be accepted. 

*A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 does not require a government-issued photo ID.

A valid passport is required on all sailings that begin in one US port and end in another US port. 

Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their cruise vacation for the following reasons:

• If you miss the ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet the ship, a passport would be required to travel internationally by air.
  • If you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to travel internationally by air.
  • International ports of call can change their travel requirements at their own discretion and may unexpectedly require all guests to have a valid passport to go ashore.

If you need to obtain a passport quickly, please contact VisaCentral at 844-834-5702 and reference account 75006 for discounted VisaCentral service fees. VisaCentral can obtain a passport in as little as 48 hours.

Edited by graphicguy