My Experience on Celebrity Beyond – July 6, 2024

many port workers do not live near the port..some told  me they are a distance away..cheaper housing. Some park  offsite and must shuttle over .

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

many port workers do not live near the port..some told  me they are a distance away..cheaper housing. Some park  offsite and must shuttle over .

is that different from any other job? 

10 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

is that different from any other job? 

Maybe yes for a part time job..but not going to argue here.

.We find port check in staff helpful and nice!

25 minutes ago, hcat said:

Maybe yes for a part time job..but not going to argue here.

.We find port check in staff helpful and nice!

I would say most are helpful even when there are other problems perhaps caused by bad management.

Civitacvecchia, wonderful experience.

Valparaiso, a 2 hour plus wait in line to board buses to the ship.  However, when our friend couldn’t stand, the staff tried to help even when that friend was a little frustrated.

I’ve only been on 4-5 ocean cruises but I can’t say I’ve seen bad employees.

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

Does the luggage at the porter show up by magic or are there names on those suitcases that can be traced to specific people in the event something bad happens?

Have you not cruised before?

Luggage has the name of them so they know where to send it on the ship. I never make any reference as to how our luggage gets to our rooms. My concern is that we have to be with our carry-on at all times inside the terminal ( according to that employee )but the one you give to the porter can be standing inside the car for at least 30 minutes or maybe more alone. Not to mention that sometimes you give them to the porter and they move it 6 feet away from you and that's all they do. The luggage will be alone standing on their wheels. 

10 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Luggage given to the porters is not unattended. There are people who take it and load it onto pallets to be loaded onto the ship. Just like when you check a bag at the airport - it is taken from you and loaded into the pallets for loading onto the plane.If you just dropped it and didn't ensure that it was given to a porter then yes, I'd expect it to be removed and/or destroyed.

I don't always agree with @zitsky but in this case absolutely. You do not leave luggage unattended. ANYWHERE. I'm guessing you don't live in a large city either - random bags just left around cause all kinds of law enforcement activity.

The luggage given to the porters is unattended. As I said before, sometimes they even put it to the side before loading it into the cart while they are trying to figure out what passenger will tip the most and will approach them. Contrary to an airport in which luggage is taken from you and no one can have access to it except airport employees. I could never leave my luggage unattended at an airport, but inside a cruise terminal is different. The lady that went to the bathroom was already in the back of the terminal and since I know you are familiar with the terminal that E class board, the bathroom is also at the back of the terminal. She will be back in 3 minutes, no big deal. But again, employees are Port Everglade are special lol 

• Like 1

We have been very impressed by all of the workers at Port Everglades. We were there twice in the last year. In December we boarded the Ascent where a wonderful older man man took time to explain the meaning of the Menorah at the base of the escalators.  He was working the same area in February when we boarded the Silhouette. What a great way to start a vacation, with smiling employees!

As a couple who were fortunate to retire early we appreciate all those seniors who are still working and do not have the same opportunities that we have. Our children are successful millennials who travel extensively with their families and are also very positive and grateful adults.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

The luggage given to the porters is unattended. As I said before, sometimes they even put it to the side before loading it into the cart while they are trying to figure out what passenger will tip the most and will approach them. Contrary to an airport in which luggage is taken from you and no one can have access to it except airport employees. I could never leave my luggage unattended at an airport, but inside a cruise terminal is different. The lady that went to the bathroom was already in the back of the terminal and since I know you are familiar with the terminal that E class board, the bathroom is also at the back of the terminal. She will be back in 3 minutes, no big deal. But again, employees are Port Everglade are special lol 

Darn it!  Now the terrorists will give the porter a fake room number and fake name when they give him the luggage with a nuclear bomb inside.  They just need to make sure they don’t go to the bathroom.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Darn it!  Now the terrorists will give the porter a fake room number and fake name when they give him the luggage with a nuclear bomb inside.  They just need to make sure they don’t go to the bathroom.

🙂

Yeah, clearly the OP has never flown. Carry-ons in the airport go through screening too but you still can't leave them unattended.

@mcatmcat

Having sailed the Beyond 2x in the last 2 years, and out of FLL many times, that is NOTHING like our experience. 

Now, situational experiences can occur anywhere, anytime.

6 day cruise to true beach destinations in the summer--yeah, you are gonna get a lot of families & kids, even on Celebrity (our craziest cruise was 5 day spring break on Constellation that was 75% FSU students!)

Overall on all cruises, all lines, crew has been amazing. But here & there we have encountered less than stellar service. You cruise enough, bound to happen.

Have not encountered such behavior of port staff, though overall definitely not the level of service one expects on a ship. 

Having also sailed out of MIA numerous times--my opinion is that MIA port is a hot mess. Road infrastructure insufficient--could take 20 min. to get to the terminal or 40 min. NCL & MSC boarding was a hot mess. Perhaps RCCL does a better job there.

Regarding leaving one's bag to go to the restroom--not sure why they just didn't go one at a time. When I sail solo, I'm taking my carryon with me to the restroom even in the terminal--I agree, just the ways of the world today.

Glad you still enjoyed your cruise & booked Ascent. We sail her in Dec.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

@mcatmcat

Having sailed the Beyond 2x in the last 2 years, and out of FLL many times, that is NOTHING like our experience. 

Now, situational experiences can occur anywhere, anytime.

6 day cruise to true beach destinations in the summer--yeah, you are gonna get a lot of families & kids, even on Celebrity (our craziest cruise was 5 day spring break on Constellation that was 75% FSU students!)

Overall on all cruises, all lines, crew has been amazing. But here & there we have encountered less than stellar service. You cruise enough, bound to happen.

Have not encountered such behavior of port staff, though overall definitely not the level of service one expects on a ship. 

Having also sailed out of MIA numerous times--my opinion is that MIA port is a hot mess. Road infrastructure insufficient--could take 20 min. to get to the terminal or 40 min. NCL & MSC boarding was a hot mess. Perhaps RCCL does a better job there.

Regarding leaving one's bag to go to the restroom--not sure why they just didn't go one at a time. When I sail solo, I'm taking my carryon with me to the restroom even in the terminal--I agree, just the ways of the world today.

Glad you still enjoyed your cruise & booked Ascent. We sail her in Dec.

I’m glad you had an amazing experience. 

After sailing in smaller ships my expectations were higher on bigger ships. I still have the ascent for the end of the year, and I tried to look for an alternative ship but RCL is more expensive and the ship is older. The alternative is older ships from X but at this point, I had a better deal with the ascent since I booked it a year in advance. I met a couple at the whirlpool that was in the retread and didn’t like the service. I spoke to a lady that had an ascent hat and I asked for the ascent and she said it was good but didn’t like the beyond. Another couple at the theater didn’t like the beyond either. By the way, they were all millennials. 

Ships are almost the same but the service I told is different. 

11 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

After sailing in smaller ships my expectations were higher on bigger ships. I still have the ascent for the end of the year, and I tried to look for an alternative ship but RCL is more expensive and the ship is older. The alternative is older ships from X but at this point, I had a better deal with the ascent since I booked it a year in advance. I met a couple at the whirlpool that was in the retread and didn’t like the service. I spoke to a lady that had an ascent hat and I asked for the ascent and she said it was good but didn’t like the beyond. Another couple at the theater didn’t like the beyond either. By the way, they were all millennials. 

So what you’re saying is that some people don’t like certain things?   What do you think Celebrity needs to do to make Millennials happy?

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So what you’re saying is that some people don’t like certain things?   What do you think Celebrity needs to do to make Millennials happy?

Clearly get rid of the Boomers who work at the port, allow you to just drop your bags anywhere in the terminal and leave them unattended... And I've forgotten their other complaints. But start with those two.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mcatmcat said:

We found our service similar to all our other Celebrity cruises--very very good.

Isn't Captain Kate the captain? We had her on the Edge & found service to even be an uptick.

We did Retreat on Beyond last year. We liked it but I wouldn't pay a premium (we got a great deal). Not enough benefits for the price, imo. 

We are not millennials--GenX. Have cruised over 40 cruises in 20 yrs & Eclass is our fav.

I would say your service was a one off. 

Will be interested to hear how your Ascent goes.

1 hour ago, KKB said:

We found our service similar to all our other Celebrity cruises--very very good.

Isn't Captain Kate the captain? We had her on the Edge & found service to even be an uptick.

We did Retreat on Beyond last year. We liked it but I wouldn't pay a premium (we got a great deal). Not enough benefits for the price, imo. 

We are not millennials--GenX. Have cruised over 40 cruises in 20 yrs & Eclass is our fav.

I would say your service was a one off. 

Will be interested to hear how your Ascent goes.

So you say you are Gen X?  I’m Gen X too.  Do you find it hard to keep up with the Millennials onboard?  You must be, like, 150 or something?

I’m thinking to cancel my next cruise because I don’t want to ruin someone’s vacation by having too many old people on board.  😭

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So you say you are Gen X?  I’m Gen X too.  Do you find it hard to keep up with the Millennials onboard?  You must be, like, 150 or something?

I’m thinking to cancel my next cruise because I don’t want to ruin someone’s vacation by having too many old people on board.  😭

I'm 58. DH is 61 so OFFICIALLY a Boomer, but the guy golfs 5-6 days/ week, so he's not slowing down anytime soon!

We have always been pretty active cruisers--like to keep busy, like to do a lot of things.

We meet people of all ages we connect with. We are usually median age on most cruises (tho our 16 dayTA in April, we were the young ones!)

I have to brag a bit--on a recent solo cruise I was sitting down to play 80s trivia & a couple who were clearly younger than me sat with me & said they would help since I was too young to know 80s trivia! HA--that is my jam! They were about 10 years younger than me, so that was VERY flattering. (DH gets the same--well, when he has a baseball hat on, lol)

11 minutes ago, KKB said:

I'm 58. DH is 61 so OFFICIALLY a Boomer, but the guy golfs 5-6 days/ week, so he's not slowing down anytime soon!

We have always been pretty active cruisers--like to keep busy, like to do a lot of things.

We meet people of all ages we connect with. We are usually median age on most cruises (tho our 16 dayTA in April, we were the young ones!)

I have to brag a bit--on a recent solo cruise I was sitting down to play 80s trivia & a couple who were clearly younger than me sat with me & said they would help since I was too young to know 80s trivia! HA--that is my jam! They were about 10 years younger than me, so that was VERY flattering. (DH gets the same--well, when he has a baseball hat on, lol)

Millennials are so helpful.  Maybe because of how their parents did everything for them so they want to do the same for others.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Millennials are so helpful.  Maybe because of how their parents did everything for them so they want to do the same for others.

As a mother of a millennial (and friends with many) & 2 GenZ & and a teacher of many of both, I can say that making generalizations about a widely varied group of people is terrible.

I've seen spoiled people of ALL ages. 
And I've met wonderful people of ALL ages.

I personally try to avoid stereotyping.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 7

Regarding age - Different cruise lines do attract travelers of a certain style. I'm usually younger than the average cruiser on Celebrity but style wise I feel like I fit right in. On Holland America, I felt like I was visiting a nursing home. 

I'm surprised Celebrity is leaning more into families and not trying some Adults only cruises. 

57 minutes ago, KKB said:

As a mother of a millennial (and friends with many) & 2 GenZ & and a teacher of many of both, I can say that making generalizations about a widely varied group of people is terrible.

Tell that to the people complaining about too many old people on their cruises, not me.  I joke about old people on Viking but I don’t whine about how they ruined my cruise.

It’s also not necessary for people to start every sentence with “As a Millennial….”.

30 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Tell that to the people complaining about too many old people on their cruises, not me.  I joke about old people on Viking but I don’t whine about how they ruined my cruise.

It’s also not necessary for people to start every sentence with “As a Millennial….”.

Millennials are so helpful.  Maybe because of how their parents did everything for them so they want to do the same for others.  Or making blanket statements lumping everyone in one group as being the same.

36 minutes ago, Liao said:

Millennials are so helpful.  Maybe because of how their parents did everything for them so they want to do the same for others.  Or making blanket statements lumping everyone in one group as being the same.

Maybe you should raise your complaints with the OP.  You know, the one who judged an entire group of people because they kept him from having a good time?  🙄

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KKB said:

Don’t fall for this. I can’t believe y’all still get reeled in..  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, KKB said:

Reportedly Captain Kate is back on the next sailing (yay!!) - her Insta indicates that too.

It’s currently Captain Leo.

(oh, and GenXer here too)

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart