My Experience on Celebrity Beyond – July 6, 2024

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Don’t fall for this. I can’t believe y’all still get reeled in..  🙂

Yeah…after I got a come back I was done.

fool me once…

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Reportedly Captain Kate is back on the next sailing (yay!!) - her Insta indicates that too.

It’s currently Captain Leo.

(oh, and GenXer here too)

Why do people care who the Captain is?

5 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I was answering @KKB who asked. But I have sailed with Captain Kate before and she is very personable.I'm sure Captain Leo is fine too.

Ok but why do you care if a Captain is personable?  They run the ship.  I don’t understand the personality cult some people get into with a cruise line.  I don’t know or care whether the CEO of Starbucks knows me by name.

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Ok but why do you care if a Captain is personable?  They run the ship.  I don’t understand the personality cult some people get into with a cruise line.  I don’t know or care whether the CEO of Starbucks knows me by name.

That's fine. You do you.

I came up cruising on Disney where the major officers are in the atrium nightly to speak with guests (obviously if the Captain is needed on the bridge they are not - and they are usually out the least amount of time as the others), so I'm much more used to approachable officers. That's something I appreciate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

That's fine. You do you.

I came up cruising on Disney where the major officers are in the atrium nightly to speak with guests (obviously if the Captain is needed on the bridge they are not - and they are usually out the least amount of time as the others), so I'm much more used to approachable officers. That's something I appreciate.

So Captain Kate says “hello”.  Well, that’s nice but I don’t book cruises based on who the captain is.  I’ve never been very impressed by celebrities either on land or at sea.  I don’t understand the fan club mentally.  That’s just me.

On 7/22/2024 at 1:34 PM, zitsky said:

So what you’re saying is that some people don’t like certain things?   What do you think Celebrity needs to do to make Millennials happy?

I think they are going in the right direction, adding coco cay to their itineraies and combine it with bimini at the same time. Short cruises for 2024 and a captain that focuses on social media posting in IG, btw IG is a simple abbreviation for Instagram. 

On 7/20/2024 at 6:20 PM, zitsky said:

It’s not being “sensitive” to ask “why do old people bother you”.  I’d rather have cruises with a mix of people.

If someone says “I’m not bothered if you take forever to do things that I could do in 5 seconds”, I can figure out what that means.  I wasn’t born yesterday.

Have a great time on Virgin!  

I complain about those OLD people all the time.   Then Iain reminds me they are probably YOUNGER THAN YOU.  

OK I have a Dorian Gray mirror....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I complain about those OLD people all the time.   Then Iain reminds me they are probably YOUNGER THAN YOU.  

At home we see these two friends, a 75 year old woman who moved into a CCRC.  We visited.  It’s like visiting a funeral home.  And a couple who moved into a 55 plus community.  Neither are for us.

We live in a neighborhood with an HOA.  Many different ages.  We like it that way.  I’ve already said that Viking is not for us.  But we’re not cool enough to be those hip old people on the Virgin cruise.

Living with people of all ages has its downsides.  The current issues in our neighborhood are teenagers driving their Mercedes Benz (!) way over the 25 mph speed limit.  The 10 year olds who are too lazy to sell lemonade when it’s 95F outside.  And the golfers who are always hogging the bar at the club.

I draw the line when the kids drive nicer cars than me.

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Bet not many people remember Dorian Gray 😂😎

On 7/22/2024 at 5:00 PM, KKB said:

As a mother of a millennial (and friends with many) & 2 GenZ & and a teacher of many of both, I can say that making generalizations about a widely varied group of people is terrible.

I've seen spoiled people of ALL ages. 
And I've met wonderful people of ALL ages.

I personally try to avoid stereotyping.

Best post on this thread so far!

If we pay our fare and enjoy cruising..age should be  a non- issue!  

Poor manners, stereotyping  and disrespect of others...at any age, that's more troubling!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting conversation first let me say I am always nice until it is time not to be nice.

As far as people go I don't care how old or young I can dislike any of them if they are @zzholes. I grew up holding doors open for people saying thankyou and good morning to strangers. I also grew up having no problems telling someone if they are rude and disrespectful to check their behavior. Case in point just got off a cruise my wife and I were sitting at the bar some guy just bumped into my wife almost knock her off the stool he said nothing. I switched seats with her and once he got his drink I shoulder checked him and asked how that felt he looked surprised at first but then realized when I handed my wife my glasses while I was  saying that he had bumped into her first he then apologized. When you "accidently" bump into someone you say excuse me  obviously he had never learned that lesson so I taught it to him. Also I was will to pay the tab if it escalated. In closing let me say  people are why I love animals (dogs and cats) more. 😁

Edited by AllenF
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, AllenF said:

Interesting conversation first let me say I am always nice until it is time not to be nice.

As far as people go I don't care how old or young I can dislike any of them if they are @zzholes. I grew up holding doors open for people saying thankyou and good morning to strangers. I also grew up having no problems telling someone if they are rude and disrespectful to check their behavior. Case in point just got off a cruise my wife and I were sitting at the bar some guy just bumped into my wife almost knock her off the stool he said nothing. I switched seats with her and once he got his drink I shoulder checked him and asked how that felt he looked surprised at first but then realized when I handed my wife my glasses while I was  saying that he had bumped into her first he then apologized. When you "accidently" bump into someone you say excuse me  obviously he had never learned that lesson so I taught it to him. Also I was will to pay the tab if it escalated. In closing let me say  people are why I love animals (dogs and cats) more. 😁

I also have a big mouth, but I don’t see how you teach people to be polite by being rude.  I see it in forums often “you need to be more polite, you jerk!”.  Why not say “you bumped my wife, please apologize”?

Edited by zitsky

On 7/21/2024 at 3:47 PM, hcat said:

Ports are lucky to have folks willing to work there..It's,not such an easy commute or dealing with a few  self important impatient people..

And aren’t they port employees not Celebrity?

On 7/28/2024 at 8:46 AM, zitsky said:

I also have a big mouth, but I don’t see how you teach people to be polite by being rude.  I see it in forums often “you need to be more polite, you jerk!”.  Why not say “you bumped my wife, please apologize”?

Your method is way easier. 

Overall people have been nice on this cruise.

There was one guy at the bar at the entrance to the OVC yesterday who just jumped to the counter in spite of a clear line to get his “Two waters”. I was not in a confrontational mood so I just rolled my eyes. It just added a couple of minutes to me getting my Diet Coke, but still. Annoying.

We did this same cruise (July 7 to July 13th, 2024). It was our first Celebrity but not our first cruise. We came in from Edmonton, Alberta.  While we were impressed with the ship overall, along with the passenger vs crew ratio, we felt a couple of the MDRs did not cut the mustard (lol). Tuscan was a disappointment as was Cosmopolitan - the food quality was terrible (not being dramatic) and yes we did send items back. Cypress, which we were going to avoid, turned out to be the best of the MDR along with the best waitstaff. We also ate at Eden, Le Grand Bistro, Raw on 5 and Roof Top Garden. Each one exceeded my expectations. The food and service were amazing and the premium dining. 

Oceanview Cafe was really good. We never experienced any issues there and thought the choice and quality of the food were above average for a buffet. The pizza at midnight was always welcomed as was the Mast Grill on the pool deck. Great burgs with grilled onions!

I agree with the amount of kids on the ship. I wasn't expecting it to be devoid of younger kids, but there were more than we figured. On a few occasions, I saw Celebrity staff (in suit jackets) tuning up a gang of kids that were a little overzealous. The pool was crowded for sure, but to be expected for a July cruise. 

We ended up often in the Club as we migrated right from the early show in the theatre and the Abba night was absolute pandemonium. Really a great time! We were told the ship was full, but aside from maybe one or two instances, we never felt the passengers on the ship detracted from the enjoyment. 

Embarkation was pretty uneventful. We had a boarding time of 11:30 am and were there around 10:40 am. We were given group 4 seating and then about 10 mins later began to walk up the gangway. Debarkation was a bit of a different animal to start. We chose early debarkation as we had an 11 am flight. They made Eden the area to gather at 7:45 am and when we got there at that time, it was closed and we had to walk back to the main debarkation point. It wasn't just us, there were quite a few other passengers who did the same as us. That being said, after we got into the terminal it was clear sailing and we grabbed a cab to FLL with zero issues. 

Overall, we had a great time. We even won the "Guess the sculpture weight" but we were eating lunch at Raw on 5 and it totally slipped our minds to show up. Damn it!!  

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2024 at 1:46 PM, Gumbey said:

We did this same cruise (July 7 to July 13th, 2024). It was our first Celebrity but not our first cruise. We came in from Edmonton, Alberta.  While we were impressed with the ship overall, along with the passenger vs crew ratio, we felt a couple of the MDRs did not cut the mustard (lol). Tuscan was a disappointment as was Cosmopolitan - the food quality was terrible (not being dramatic) and yes we did send items back. Cypress, which we were going to avoid, turned out to be the best of the MDR along with the best waitstaff. We also ate at Eden, Le Grand Bistro, Raw on 5 and Roof Top Garden. Each one exceeded my expectations. The food and service were amazing and the premium dining. 

Oceanview Cafe was really good. We never experienced any issues there and thought the choice and quality of the food were above average for a buffet. The pizza at midnight was always welcomed as was the Mast Grill on the pool deck. Great burgs with grilled onions!

I agree with the amount of kids on the ship. I wasn't expecting it to be devoid of younger kids, but there were more than we figured. On a few occasions, I saw Celebrity staff (in suit jackets) tuning up a gang of kids that were a little overzealous. The pool was crowded for sure, but to be expected for a July cruise. 

We ended up often in the Club as we migrated right from the early show in the theatre and the Abba night was absolute pandemonium. Really a great time! We were told the ship was full, but aside from maybe one or two instances, we never felt the passengers on the ship detracted from the enjoyment. 

Embarkation was pretty uneventful. We had a boarding time of 11:30 am and were there around 10:40 am. We were given group 4 seating and then about 10 mins later began to walk up the gangway. Debarkation was a bit of a different animal to start. We chose early debarkation as we had an 11 am flight. They made Eden the area to gather at 7:45 am and when we got there at that time, it was closed and we had to walk back to the main debarkation point. It wasn't just us, there were quite a few other passengers who did the same as us. That being said, after we got into the terminal it was clear sailing and we grabbed a cab to FLL with zero issues. 

Overall, we had a great time. We even won the "Guess the sculpture weight" but we were eating lunch at Raw on 5 and it totally slipped our minds to show up. Damn it!!  

Relative to the MDRs, as you can order any meal at any of the 4 (including the speciality dishes from any of the 4) for me it comes down to the service and getting the desired dining time.   Therefore when we embark we go to the hostess guest at one of the 4 MDRs and request a 6 PM dining with the same table and wait staff and we are accommodated without an issue and each night we go straight to our table (unless we are doing a specialty restaurant that night).