Is it too much to expect to receive what you have paid for??

10 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

If they don’t have it, what do you expect? It’s not a yacht charter where they go on shore to buy exactly what you want. I can say with 99.9% confidence they had something else available they offered you. Acqua Panna, San Benedetto, San Pellegrino, or some sort of mineral water.  

If one person asks, and they don't have it, big deal, nobody cares.  We get that sometimes things are not available.

If 20 people ask for it, and they never have it, then I'd say that Celebrity needs to do something, either improve inventory or take it off the list.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

If they don’t have it, what do you expect? It’s not a yacht charter where they go on shore to buy exactly what you want. I can say with 99.9% confidence they had something else available they offered you. Acqua Panna, San Benedetto, San Pellegrino, or some sort of mineral water.  

I am fine with AP, as I do not drink mineral water; I am a no-gas type of girl, so as long as it is premium the majority of the time, I am fine with that.  Remember, you commented on my post with your own set of expectations, so stop with all the "what do you expect dribble,” as what I expect is a premium water substitution and not just the ordinary.  That wasn’t available, so for me, that was not what I had paid for at all with the premium package.  Even yacht charters can have issues with anything, so try to understand that some of us do not get 99.9% of what we ask for on our package with substitutions. like you always do.  That is all that I am saying...not higher than normal expectations, but at the very least, a choice of premium water with no-gas.  Instead of asking me specific questions to clarify what I was saying, you wanted to provide your own scenario of me to justify your own comments for some unknown reason.  I bet if I met you on a cruise, you would just be charming and get me a premium water?

Edited by Lastdance
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

If one person asks, and they don't have it, big deal, nobody cares.  We get that sometimes things are not available.

If 20 people ask for it, and they never have it, then I'd say that Celebrity needs to do something, either improve inventory or take it off the list.

if the ship can’t get it (just like Diet Coke vs Coke Lite in Europe) you aren’t getting it. No matter how many people wave their VIP card. My earlier comment stands. It’s clear why some people routinely have so many service issues.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

if the ship can’t get it (just like Diet Coke vs Coke Lite in Europe) you aren’t getting it. No matter how many people wave their VIP card. My earlier comment stands. It’s clear why some people routinely have so many service issues.

I go to Brixx a lot for pizza and pasta.  I had to ask them every time, what do you NOT have when I ordered my wine.  They finally got smart and removed from the wine list the things they never had.  Celebrity should do the same.

If I get another cheap wine in Luminae I will comment on it on my feedback form.  Maybe mention it to Guest Services or the Food and Beverage manager.  I think we all need to do that.

If I was not paying extra for a wine package, I wouldn’t care.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

If one wants to be guaranteed then they can carry it on with them.  The 2% while very loud, are not going to effectuate change.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Oh goodie.  I guess we will be watching every move.  Such BS.  Someone else mentioned tipping seems to help which we were inclined to do anyway (I realize with the premium package I’ve already tipped) but a $1 here and there for good service is worth a shot to us.  

Good service doesn't include pouring well brands in place of premium when you paid the premium price. That calls for removal of tips.  My experience is that tips help when you paid for the classic and they pour the premium without asking. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Good service doesn't include pouring well brands in place of premium when you paid the premium price. That calls for removal of tips.  My experience is that tips help when you paid for the classic and they pour the premium without asking. 

That’s a good way to think about it. Someone else suggested tips seem to get them what they are supposed to. We planned to tip extra anyway but I get your point.

1 hour ago, Liao said:

If one wants to be guaranteed then they can carry it on with them.  The 2% while very loud, are not going to effectuate change.

Saying “excuse me, this isn’t right” doesn’t need to be  rude or loud.  I come from a place where, whether you like it or not, we can be polite, but we can also speak our minds.  There is no contradiction there.  Polite does not mean being a sheep.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, canderson said:

And if that doesn't net an improvement, the next stop is the Hotel Director.  It's a matter of eventually figuring out where the buck stops aboard, though...

One hopes that this practice isn't known and approved out of Miami.

Start with the hotel director and the QR code to let them work their way downward.  No one should have to spend their time on vacation having to negotiate or beg for what they paid for.  Of course, never let the immediate staff in vicinity escape accountability.  And, email @Laura Hodges Bethge.  And keep a record, take pictures and video and share publicly the bait and switch.  

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

Start with the hotel director and the QR code to let them work their way downward.  No one should have to spend their time on vacation having to negotiate or beg for what they paid for.  Of course, never let the immediate staff in vicinity escape accountability.  And, email @Laura Hodges Bethge.  And keep a record, take pictures and video and share publicly the bait and switch.  

Nor should we have to spend our vacation time emailing the company president or taking pictures and videos of the wrong product.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I am fine with AP, as I do not drink mineral water; I am a no-gas type of girl, so as long as it is premium the majority of the time, I am fine with that.  Remember, you commented on my post with your own set of expectations, so stop with all the "what do you expect dribble,” as what I expect is a premium water substitution and not just the ordinary.  That wasn’t available, so for me, that was not what I had paid for at all with the premium package.  Even yacht charters can have issues with anything, so try to understand that some of us do not get 99.9% of what we ask for on our package with substitutions. like you always do.  That is all that I am saying...not higher than normal expectations, but at the very least, a choice of premium water with no-gas.  Instead of asking me specific questions to clarify what I was saying, you wanted to provide your own scenario of me to justify your own comments for some unknown reason.  I bet if I met you on a cruise, you would just be charming and get me a premium water?

Luv the verbiage! 👏❤️ well said!

• Thanks 1

I find this very interesting.  I have been sailing on NCL for the past few cruises and in the dining rooms the sommeliers always bring the bottle to the table and pour in front of us after confirming it is the wine we requested.  I would expect the same service on Celebrity but apparently not.  

We were planning on upgrading to the Premium package but might not bother if it's something we will constantly be having to watch for.  We want to relax on vacation, not worry about getting ripped off.

• Like 2

Quick question as I'm now to Celebrity, do all of the main dining rooms have a Sommelier and is that the person I would be ordering wine from or the server, or whoever gets to us first?

15 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

Quick question as I'm now to Celebrity, do all of the main dining rooms have a Sommelier and is that the person I would be ordering wine from or the server, or whoever gets to us first?

Celebrity is very generous with the title of Sommelier.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

38 minutes ago, bzeus1924 said:

I find this very interesting.  I have been sailing on NCL for the past few cruises and in the dining rooms the sommeliers always bring the bottle to the table and pour in front of us after confirming it is the wine we requested.  I would expect the same service on Celebrity but apparently not.  

We were planning on upgrading to the Premium package but might not bother if it's something we will constantly be having to watch for.  We want to relax on vacation, not worry about getting ripped off.

3 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

As far as I've seen all the dining rooms have a "sommelier", at least in title. And I've always seen them present and pour from the bottle at the table, in the dining room.

I could be wrong, but I read the OP having issues outside the dining room where it would not be unusual for a bartender or server to simply bring you your drink. Without showing the bottle.

I don't understand why they would attempt a substitution without asking you. There's no financial sense for most of the wines on the ship, especially with the packages. I mean at cost the Villa Maria should absolutely be in the Classic Package; it's neither expensive nor premium. Which is true of almost everything in the Premium Package. A Chilean Sauvignon Blanc will have a different flavor profile from a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, but the only reason it's less expensive is Chilean land and labor is less than New Zealand land and labor and the shipping costs are probably lower. The Marlborough style of SB has become the most popular style in the US. A Sancerre is also made with Sauvignon Blanc, will taste completely different, and is certainly not inferior to a Marlborough SB. I don't see those on the ships. 

I can probably tell a cheap gin from a good one in a martini. Once there's a mixer involved I couldn't tell you the difference between Grey Goose and Titos (or Stoli, etc.) in a cocktail. I can definitely tell the difference between whiskies served neat. So I'll order a named gin for a martini out of the premium package, a Bloody Mary is from the well for me, and I'll be picky as heck about any form of whisk(e)y. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bzeus1924 said:

My DH and I are not doing any drink package, but have ordered and are bringing water onboard for our next trip.  This will be our first experience without the premium package, so a new experience for us, but directly related to Celebrity.  Not sure how it will work, but it is definitely worth a try.

Edited by Lastdance

3 hours ago, Liao said:

Celebrity is very generous with the title of Sommelier.

The first level sommelier test is offered at the end of a weekend course, and around 90% of students pass it. The next level, the Certified Sommelier, has about 66% of its applicants passing. The Advanced Sommelier exam pass rate is about 25%, and the Master Sommelier pass rate is around 5%. 

Sommelier Exam: 27 Question Categories to Anticipate (binwise.com)

I don't know if the "sommeliers" on cruise ships even take a weekend course and pass the Level 1 exam. Highly trained sommeliers are going to be found in fine dining restaurants, not on cruise ships.  It's theater. 

17 hours ago, mnocket said:

The first level sommelier test is offered at the end of a weekend course, and around 90% of students pass it. The next level, the Certified Sommelier, has about 66% of its applicants passing. The Advanced Sommelier exam pass rate is about 25%, and the Master Sommelier pass rate is around 5%. 

I don't know if the "sommeliers" on cruise ships even take a weekend course and pass the Level 1 exam. Highly trained sommeliers are going to be found in fine dining restaurants, not on cruise ships.  It's theater. 

Hello,

Theatre?

It's either a Brian Rix Whitehall farce or a Greek tragedy!

Regards,

Cublet

20 hours ago, mnocket said:

You're traveling on the wrong line if that's what you're after.  We took our first Silversea cruise last year, and at least on the ship we sailed (Silver Dawn), their head and his assistant had the WSET / CMS bona fides.

20231210_194139.thumb.jpg.33c27a703ce43f3b031c20098ab26617.jpg

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, canderson said:

You're traveling on the wrong line if that's what you're after.  We took our first Silversea cruise last year, and at least on the ship we sailed (Silver Dawn), their head and his assistant had the WSET / CMS bona fides.

20231210_194139.thumb.jpg.33c27a703ce43f3b031c20098ab26617.jpg

Perhaps, or perhaps you are overly impressed without knowing their certification levels.  As I pointed out in my previous post, a Level 1 certification can be obtained by taking a fairly short online course followed by an exam that almost everyone passes.  Here's another example of an online course.  This one is a 4-week online course followed by an exam that 98% of the students pass.

WSET LEVEL 1 AWARD IN WINES - ONLINE – Wine Academy of Las Vegas (wineacademylv.com)

Without knowing the certification level, WSET / CMS bona fides mean very little.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'd be very surprised to find a highly trained and certified sommelier working on a cruise ship rather than a find dining restaurant where they would be far better paid and given access to a far better wine inventory.  It's theater.  Theater isn't bad, many people enjoy it.  Nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by mnocket

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Perhaps, or perhaps you are overly impressed without knowing their certification levels.  As I pointed out in my previous post, a Level 1 certification can be obtained by taking a fairly short online course followed by an exam that almost everyone passes.  Here's another example of an online course.  This one is a 4-week online course followed by an exam that 98% of the students pass.

WSET LEVEL 1 AWARD IN WINES - ONLINE – Wine Academy of Las Vegas (wineacademylv.com)

Without knowing the certification level, WSET / CMS bona fides mean very little.

I wouldn't have even mentioned it if I didn't know his certification level (3), received back in 2018.  I'm not a wine rube.

His name is Goran Storga (zoom the photo).  WSET #201044241418.  He's since also picked up a BA in business administration. No idea where he finds the time.

Anyway, if you're fortunate enough to run across him on Silversea, he'll steer you right.

Edited by canderson
typo

48 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Without knowing the certification level, WSET / CMS bona fides mean very little.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'd be very surprised to find a highly trained and certified sommelier working on a cruise ship rather than a find dining restaurant where they would be far better paid and given access to a far better wine inventory.  It's theater.  Theater isn't bad, many people enjoy it.  Nothing wrong with that. 

I wouldn't be surprised to find a credentialed sommelier in some roles on the ship. In fact I have in the past. I know years ago on HAL the chief wine steward/wine manager not sure of the exact title was probably a CMS Advanced Sommelier (HAL at least at the time called their wine servers wine stewards, not sommeliers, which was more appropriate). Although HAL had their wine stewards wearing tasting cups, so that part of the theater was definitely present.

I've run into at least one on Celebrity who had worked as a sommelier in London and was at least Certified, maybe Advanced. He was doing the cruise gig for experience (and he was an Indian national so the pay was probably decent).

If you look at the roles CMS discusses for their graduates, it would be entirely appropriate for an Advanced Sommelier to run the "B" of the F&B operation on a cruise ship. The real drop off, as you say, is in compensation for a Certified Sommelier who'd probably run the wine operation in a specialty restaurant. But they probably would have more responsibility and compensation on the floor in New York, London, San Francisco, etc.

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

I wouldn't have even mentioned it if I didn't know his certification level (3), received back in 2018.  I'm not a wine rube.

His name is Goran Storga (zoom the photo).  WSET #201044241418.  He's since also picked up a BA in business administration. No idea where he finds the time.

Anyway, if you're fortunate enough to run across him on Silversea, he'll steer you right.

I have been on a few Silversea sailings and was impressed by the training and land experience of the butlers, sommeliers, and bar tenders. Very different from Celebrity that promotes from within. One of my butlers on a 4 week Celebrity sailing initially was part of the security team, scanning cards as one entered/exited the ship at ports among other tasks. She move over to being a butler on her next contract. 

On 7/24/2024 at 8:05 PM, Cap_D said:

If it that bad that one has to take pictures, videos

keep records, etc I wouldn’t bother, I would stop complaining, emailing and just change cruise lines.