Having sticker shock on the price of Fort Lauderdale Hotels Feb 2025

21 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Yes, there are Airbnbs in the US. You can go through airbnb or vrbo for most rentals. I was going to check one we liked in Ft. Lauderdale but can't go that far ahead to get a quote. I checked random dates in November, and it is $308 USD (425 CAD) which is outside OPs budget. Though that wasn't the exact dates and was only one Airbnb. 

I believe the OP was looking for B&Bs (bed & breakfast) not Airbnb, which is a self-catered thing. 

There are B&Bs,  but they can be harder to find. I googled for B&Bs in Fort Lauderdale, and a few came up (including a number of Airbnb pages, unsurprisingly). 

18 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I believe the OP was looking for B&Bs (bed & breakfast) not Airbnb, which is a self-catered thing. 

You're exactly right, and I wasn't thinking obviously. We use Airbnb frequently and that's the first thing that came to mind when asked. Thanks for the correction.

@TryinCruisin - To assist looked and found..

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/sea-club-ocean-resort.en-gb.html?aid=356980&label=gog235jc-1FCAMYkwQo7AFCD2ZvcnQtbGF1ZGVyZGFsZUgJWANoUIgBAZgBCbgBB8gBDdgBAegBAfgBAogCAagCA7gC3NSutQbAAgHSAiQwMDNmMDVmNy1kYTkwLTRkMTEtOTM3Mi1jMGU3MjE2ZDNmNjPYAgXgAgE&sid=7047615132c86b865e83158f09b01913&all_sr_blocks=7851805_88757996_0_0_0_205849;checkin=2025-02-06;checkout=2025-02-08;dest_id=20022339;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=5;highlighted_blocks=7851805_88757996_0_0_0_205849;hpos=5;matching_block_id=7851805_88757996_0_0_0_205849;no_rooms=1;req_adults=2;req_children=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=price;sr_pri_blocks=7851805_88757996_0_0_0_205849_25764;srepoch=1722526431;srpvid=e30a6d3cd370003a;type=total;ucfs=1&

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/plaza-fort-lauderdale.en-gb.html?aid=356980&label=gog235jc-1FCAMYkwQo7AFCD2ZvcnQtbGF1ZGVyZGFsZUgJWANoUIgBAZgBCbgBB8gBDdgBAegBAfgBAogCAagCA7gC3NSutQbAAgHSAiQwMDNmMDVmNy1kYTkwLTRkMTEtOTM3Mi1jMGU3MjE2ZDNmNjPYAgXgAgE&sid=7047615132c86b865e83158f09b01913&all_sr_blocks=411528304_372544551_2_0_0_407489;checkin=2025-02-06;checkout=2025-02-08;dest_id=20022339;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=6;highlighted_blocks=411528304_372544551_2_0_0_407489;hpos=6;matching_block_id=411528304_372544551_2_0_0_407489;no_rooms=1;req_adults=2;req_children=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=price;sr_pri_blocks=411528304_372544551_2_0_0_407489_26468;srepoch=1722526686;srpvid=a66d6dc41936000d;type=total;ucfs=1&

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/fort-lauderdale-tamarac-east.en-gb.html?aid=356980&label=gog235jc-1FCAMYkwQo7AFCD2ZvcnQtbGF1ZGVyZGFsZUgJWANoUIgBAZgBCbgBB8gBDdgBAegBAfgBAogCAagCA7gC3NSutQbAAgHSAiQwMDNmMDVmNy1kYTkwLTRkMTEtOTM3Mi1jMGU3MjE2ZDNmNjPYAgXgAgE&sid=7047615132c86b865e83158f09b01913&all_sr_blocks=42864102_147733190_2_1_0;checkin=2025-02-06;checkout=2025-02-08;dest_id=20022339;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=11;highlighted_blocks=42864102_147733190_2_1_0;hpos=11;matching_block_id=42864102_147733190_2_1_0;no_rooms=1;req_adults=2;req_children=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=price;sr_pri_blocks=42864102_147733190_2_1_0__28877;srepoch=1722526744;srpvid=a66d6dc41936000d;type=total;ucfs=1&

• Like 1

Yes I looked closely at ES m, Days Inn, and the 3 main Choice hotels in the same price range. Almost booked ES until I researched reviews from other booking sites. 
We may choose one if these for our 1-night pre-cruise, but only because we arrive 11PM. The problem is the reviews on nasty bedding, bathrooms, etc from all of these properties…Not how I want my wife to start her vacation…

So we will likely look at a higher price ($250 all in) for peace of mind…Snd definitely the Hilton Tru, Hyatt, or a similar property for our 2-night post-cruise stay…

Let me know if you find a “decent” price at a hotel you are more comfortable with!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

I would definitely look at other options. Days Inn is going to be cheap; it's a low end budget hotel. Be sure to check out reviews at multiple sources (Google Reviews, TripAdvisor, Yelp) rather than reviews on the hotels website or booking agencies such as Expedia/Hotels.com/etc. 

You are correct. The reviews are not very good. I am hoping to find a better choice but at 40% of the average hotel rate, I decided to put the trigger just in case. In the end its just a landing pad til I get on the ship. I wish I could find a better hotel for a decent price but Since I am Canadian, 300+ USD  for one night looks ridiculous to me after currency conversion.  I looked at some B&B situations but they were just as expensive when  it was all added up.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TryinCruisin said:

You are correct. The reviews are not very good. I am hoping to find a better choice but at 40% of the average hotel rate, I decided to put the trigger just in case. In the end its just a landing pad til I get on the ship. I wish I could find a better hotel for a decent price but Since I am Canadian, 300+ USD  for one night looks ridiculous to me after currency conversion.  I looked at some B&B situations but they were just as expensive when  it was all added up.

Get away from the port and beach area. You might pay a little more for Uber, but save a lot more on your hotel and end up with a much nicer place. 

Many "beach towns" in south Florida have placed rules on short term rentals to limit the weekend party house experience.  Neighbors are often displeased by rowdy, drunken, late night activity, partying, parking etc.

That may show up as fewer homes available on the various home share services.

On 7/31/2024 at 11:23 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

cruise friends have stayed at Extended Stay America and Days Inn.  They found them simple, clean and reasonably priced.

I read the reviews for the Extended Stay next to FLL, and they are awful.

38 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I read the reviews for the Extended Stay next to FLL, and they are awful.

That’s why one used the words ”not inviting” as an understatement, and quickly searched for stays around the price point OP wishes to achieve, giving three online links.

Posted (edited)

I have stayed both in Dania beach & Hollywood FL instead of near the cruise port on several occasions.  The hotels were not good and cost me under 300.  I wont do it again.  I want to start my vacay out on the right foot.  I say splurge a bit if you can on this one.  Your sleep will thank you and so will your mind.  You will be in a cleaner, safer place and hopefully without too much filth and bugs and you wont be "stuck" and out of the nice area where tourist things like restaurants, liquor stores, coffee shops etc prevail.  The others sound tempting as many offer shuttle services along with the stay.  Dont be fooled. These places can be terrible in sketchy places with literally nothing to do and in a terrible run down condition.  DOnt even get me started on that.  Err on the side of safety & peace of mind.  Traveled to FLL for years now.  Embassy suites and Hilton Marina are decent (not terrific) hotels by the port.  Terrific will cost you an arm and a leg.  Still expensive though.  Brace yourself.   Been there and done that and learned valuable lessons.  Good Luck!

Edited by sally1
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

We’ve stayed in the Danai Beach and Hollywood areas at decent rates (<$225 in March/April) and never had a problem, there are a few decent options. For a little more you can “upgrade” to the Hilton Tru, for example, which we will do for our longer post-cruise stay. 
For one night, arriving at 11PM, Cambria or a similar property is fine for us…reviews do not seem to be as mixed as the closer Choice hotels

Edited by blue_water

We have stayed at the Best Western Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port.  They offer (charge) a shuttle to the port.  The company brings a big van and a trailer for the luggage.  

It is not real close to restaurants.  There is a Mc Donalds next door and a nice German restaurant down the street that takes reservations.  

We are staying again in February.  Rewards rate is $190 plus taxes.  Last time our room was nice.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yes we’ve priced the various nearby Choice hotels, BW, Comfort Suites (cruiseport and cruiseport south), and Cambria. 

The member rates for our late-March date (refundable, all taxes) are between $185 & $206. Based on WTMDR (Way Too Much Darn Research! 🤪) we’ll probably choose Cambria for our one-night pre-cruise.

Looking at a bit nicer options for our two-night post-cruise stay, but still not willing to pay over $300 all in…Prices drop in April, surprisingly…

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

We are cruising on Oasis from Port Everglades in August 2025 (next year) with our two daughters and their families. Ten people in all and we will need three rooms. We will be looking for a place to stay one night before our cruise. Thanks for all the tips you have mentioned. 

12 minutes ago, jjtt said:

We are cruising on Oasis from Port Everglades in August 2025 (next year) with our two daughters and their families. Ten people in all and we will need three rooms. We will be looking for a place to stay one night before our cruise. Thanks for all the tips you have mentioned. 

August is low season (due to heat, humidity and hurricane season) and has correspondingly lower prices than high (Thanksgiving thru Easter) season.  I would keep an eye out for the release of the 2025 Hyatt Place with Value Trips prices.  That can be anytime in November or December.  The hotel is a cruiser favorite in an excellent location.  You can look at this year’s pricing at www.valuetrips.com.  This year’s May thru September rates are $109 (Sun-Thur) and $119 (Fri-Sat).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

August is low season (due to heat, humidity and hurricane season) and has correspondingly lower prices than high (Thanksgiving thru Easter) season.  I would keep an eye out for the release of the 2025 Hyatt Place with Value Trips prices.  That can be anytime in November or December.  The hotel is a cruiser favorite in an excellent location.  You can look at this year’s pricing at www.valuetrips.com.  This year’s May thru September rates are $109 (Sun-Thur) and $119 (Fri-Sat).

Thank you capriccio! 

Given some thought… It appears that Hotel prices are fluid “high”.  This particular time frame must be because of the number of ships in port, also large events happening throughout the area, all creating a high demand, with Hotels responding with price uplifts.
Therefore, a suggestion.  
Book a Hotel room asap at the price one would consider paying “at a stretch”, so one has somewhere booked.  Then, watch prices an a daily basis, for the possibility of a price reduction, which can happen 4/6 weeks prior to one’s stay, to then book/rebook (first) and cancel next.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zqvol said:

What does this even mean. That link makes no sense at all.

Copied and pasted link from a UK site….. OP was seeking accommodation at the lower end price point, and one tried to assist.  Screenshot to verify.

Perhaps the link suffers from loss of translation when opened in the USA

IMG_0675.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Copied and pasted link from a UK site….. OP was seeking accommodation at the lower end price point, and one tried to assist.  Screenshot to verify.

Perhaps the link suffers from loss of translation when opened in the USA

IMG_0675.png

Notwithstanding the rude response you just received, there's nothing wrong with your link at all. Perfectly understandable here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2024 at 7:34 PM, WELDON said:

Which Days Inn did you book?  Is it Days Inn by Wyndham? If so, the area is not the greatest. It is not a place you would want to walk around. 

I booked into the Days Inn Airport/Cruiseport on West Broward. A couple miles east of the New River downtown area. It's two star and cheap but close to the touristy stuff. I will be looking for some good deals on a nicer place but I just couldn't choke down the price after CAD to USD conversion for a nicer place right now.

Either I will panic about it closer to February and bite the money bullet, or find a great deal or just hope for the best with the cheap one. I admit I am concerned about cockroaches and being in a bad part of town!