Celebrity Solstice

seb530

Hi all, we are looking at Asia 2026 and choices of cruise lines seem limited to Princess, Celebrity and Norwegian
Having looked at a few videos of Solstice it seems, in my wifes words, a little dark and dull - i realise the ship is fairly old but is that the realistic view?

From reading the material, celebrity seems to employ a class type system which seems to mean all passengers dont get equal access to all restaurants etc, for those that have sailed "steerage" 😉 how much of an issue was that? is it simply a couple of venues or are fairly large sections of the ship closed off

Posted (edited)

@seb530, as to a "class type system" regarding Celebrity, they offer a selection of standard staterooms to include inside, ocean view, and balcony, with differing amenities available with some.  They also offer suites which carry a higher luxury of stateroom sizes, finishes, and amenities.  Along with that is a dedicated restaurant and private lounge along with a top deck outside area that is exclusive to suite guests.  All other venues are open to all guests.  

This is far from any class structure and is common amongst most cruise lines, including the others you mention.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Since at this point no announcement has been made of what ship will be doing Asia at that time, it might be too soon for you to be pushing a decision

thanks for the reply, bookable on celebrity website for Jan 2026 from what i can see

Edited by seb530

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As to a "class type system" regarding Celebrity, they offer a selection of standard staterooms to include inside, ocean view, and balcony, with differing amenities available with some.  They also offer suites which carry a higher luxury of stateroom sizes, finishes, and amenities.  Along with that is a dedicated restaurant and private lounge along with an outside area that is exclusive to suite guests.  This is far from any class structure and is common amongst most cruise lines.

Thanks, we have only sailed princess, P&O and marella and they dont have any dedicated lounges or restaurants hence my quesion

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, seb530 said:

thanks for the reply, bookable on celebrity website for Jan 2026 from what i can see

There are other cruise lines that provide similar regional itineraries.  Many just don't yet have them available for bookings.  I would suggest contacting a travel agent to explore your options and address your questions.

Posted (edited)

I was curious about the limited number of lines given for Asia 2026, so I did a search on one of the large internet booking sites. There were offerings from Azamara, Celebrity, Costa, Cunard, Holland American, Norwegian, Oceania, P&O, Princess, Regent, Ritz-Carlton, Royal Caribbean, Seabourn, Silversea, and Viking. Any or all might be eliminated due to price, preferred itinerary, timing, ship size preferences, etc. It just seemed strange to me that only three lines were given as having released 2026 itineraries. 

Edited by ExArkie

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, seb530 said:

Thanks, we have only sailed princess, P&O and marella and they dont have any dedicated lounges or restaurants hence my quesion

Perhaps you should look at the Princess Sanctuary Collection which provides access to an exclusive top deck area, private elevated menu dining room, and suite lounge for those participating guests.

2 hours ago, seb530 said:

Not totally accurate. Princess has their "Reserve Collection" (formerly Club Class) which is a dedicated *section* of one of the main dining rooms for those booked in that category of cabin. Not a completely isolated restaurant...

3 hours ago, seb530 said:

Hi all, we are looking at Asia 2026 and choices of cruise lines seem limited to Princess, Celebrity and Norwegian
Having looked at a few videos of Solstice it seems, in my wifes words, a little dark and dull - i realise the ship is fairly old but is that the realistic view?

From reading the material, celebrity seems to employ a class type system which seems to mean all passengers dont get equal access to all restaurants etc, for those that have sailed "steerage" 😉 how much of an issue was that? is it simply a couple of venues or are fairly large sections of the ship closed off

As for Solstice, it is a nice ship.  Have sailed it many times and have enjoyed our vacations.  There are  specialty restaurants available to all in addition to a main dining room and buffet..  However, the ship shows signs of her age.  

Posted (edited)

Hi seb530!

All our cruises to date have been with Celebrity.

Our most recent was Nov 2024 on Solstice from Sydney.

We were in a balcony room and were more than happy with it. The ship is not one of the new E Class, all singing, all dancing, but for us, this size of ship is preferred. 

It had a lovely vibe & the staff were wonderful.

Personally I wouldn't say it was 'dark & dull'

But that's only my opinion.

We certainly didn't feel like there was a 'class system' in place.

As previously stated, speciality restaurants are available at an extra cost for all.

Luminae restaurant for suite guests and Blu restaurant for aqua class guests.

We weren't aware of any sections of the ship that were 'closed off'

Good luck with your decision 😊

Edited by Chrisclaire
Spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, seb530 said:

That’s interesting. We sailed the Solstice in May 2023 as well as having done a number of cruises on other S-class ships and have not noticed any of them being dark and dull. As far as steerage, we have only booked regular balcony cabins and haven’t felt excluded from any restaurants. If we wanted the two we couldn’t go to, we could have paid a lot more money to book those categories. 

I've sailed most of the ships in the Celebrity fleet an find that the S-Class is our sweet spot.   Many of the features of the E-Class that many rave about are the reason we have decided to never sail another E-Class.  

Probably 95% of the ship is open to all.    The main areas you may refer to are things Like the Retreat, Retreat Deck, Luminae and Blu.   

Solstice never went through The Revolution so all passengers have access to the two front facing decks while on the E-Class have much larger restricted areas and the Revolutionized M- and S- Class ships have dedicated sun decks. 

There are disadvantages on E-Class ships but you either lover them or hate them and the same with S and M class ships.   To be honest I really only notice the decor on the first day I arrive and then it just becomes the norm.

I would have no qualms on booking Solstice.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, seb530 said:

Celebrity does in fact employ a class system. Aqua class passengers have a dedicated restaurant called Blu. Retreat guests have Luminae as their dedicated restaurant as well as a dedicated lounge and, on most ships, a dedicated sundeck.

You wouldn't really feel this except on their newest E- class of ships (Edge, Apex, Beyond, Ascent and Xcel). On those ships much of the front of the ships' upper decks are dedicated to the Retreat leaving no forward facing view for "steerage".

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It is a disappointment on E class where you don't get a front view.

On S class it is not bad at all.  You can visit the Sky Lounge and get front views for all.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Celebrity does in fact employ a class system. Aqua class passengers have a dedicated restaurant called Blu. Retreat guests have Luminae as their dedicated restaurant as well as a dedicated lounge and, on most ships, a dedicated sundeck.

Based on your criteria above, Royal Caribbean does the same. 

14 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Based on your criteria above, Royal Caribbean does the same. 

Your qualification has me curious. What other criteria is there besides certain cabin classes having exclusive access to certain areas of the ship?

8 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

@seb530, as to a "class type system" regarding Celebrity, they offer a selection of standard staterooms to include inside, ocean view, and balcony, with differing amenities available with some.  They also offer suites which carry a higher luxury of stateroom sizes, finishes, and amenities.  Along with that is a dedicated restaurant and private lounge along with a top deck outside area that is exclusive to suite guests.  All other venues are open to all guests.  

This is far from any class structure and is common amongst most cruise lines, including the others you mention.

And Aquaclass with Blu. You forgot that level of cabin and that restaurant.

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Your qualification has me curious. What other criteria is there besides certain cabin classes having exclusive access to certain areas of the ship?

But  is that a class system?  You are basing it on only social factors and are discounting individual achievement that is part of a traditional class system.  You are discounting Zenith access to the Retreat Lounge.  That is an individual achievement that gives them access to an exclusive area on the ship regardless of cabin class. 

It's all semantics and people tend to associate a class system with a bad thing, I just happen to not see it that way.  

20 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

But  is that a class system?  You are basing it on only social factors and are discounting individual achievement that is part of a traditional class system.  You are discounting Zenith access to the Retreat Lounge.  That is an individual achievement that gives them access to an exclusive area on the ship regardless of cabin class.

I'm not including social factors or individual achievement. After all, these are just staterooms, not living beings. If you pay up to get a suite on Celebrity, you get access to certain areas that come with it. If you pay up to get a suite on Carnival, or Azamara, or Oceania, or Explora, all you get is a larger cabin with maybe a few extra perks, but no exclusive access anywhere. Ultimately, we're talking about stateroom class privileges, not social class privileges. I don't get Retreat Lounge access because I'm an aristocrat or VIP, I get it because I pay to stay in a Retreat cabin.

20 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

It's all semantics and people tend to associate a class system with a bad thing, I just happen to not see it that way.  

The class system as relates to cruises (or air travel for that matter) is what it is, neither a good nor bad thing. Some people simply enjoy nice things. For them, a more egalitarian cruise line or all biz class airline works well. Others enjoy nice things more when there are others that have less nice things. For them, mainstream cruise lines that are class based fit better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RichYak said:

If you pay up to get a suite on Celebrity, you get access to certain areas that come with it. If you pay up to get a suite on Carnival, or Azamara, or Oceania, or Explora, all you get is a larger cabin with maybe a few extra perks, but no exclusive access anywhere. Ultimately, we're talking about stateroom class privileges, not social class privileges.

The class system as relates to cruises (or air travel for that matter) is what it is, neither a good nor bad thing.  Some people simply enjoy nice things. For them, a more egalitarian cruise line or all biz class airline works well. Others enjoy nice things more when there are others that have less nice things. For them, mainstream cruise lines that are class based fit better.

Exactly how I see things. My one and only Carnival cruise was in a PH room and when I left my large suite I was the same as everyone else.

The same on my recent Silversea bookings. My first Silversea sailing was in their standard Veranda Suite - their ship's cabins are all suites and 85% are Veranda suites - and I had access to all areas of the ship and all restaurants. My subsequent Silversea sailings have been in their much more expensive upper suites. My room was larger with a separate dining and living area and included unlimited laundry, but when I left my room I had no special recognition and really appreciated that everyone had amazing service and was treated the same. Every room has a full bar setup, unlimited decent real champagne, caviar... and, at a bar or restaurant no one ever asks what package I have because there are no "packages" - what a relief!

I recently sailed on MSC in their YC class. Someone I chatted with in the YC lounge expressed great dissatisfaction when sailing on one of the luxury cruise lines because having booked one of the largest suites on the ship he was treated the same as everyone else. In the YC he books one of their upper suites and is treated as a special person. As you stated: Some people simply enjoy nice things...  Others enjoy nice things more when there are others that have less nice things.

It is great to have choices. Cost wise, the Retreat and the luxury lines are often similar but the experience is very different in many ways. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Scratching my head here....a bit of time traveling, maybe? 😄

Something_wrong_here.jpg

Hahaha 😆 

Well spotted!

I was just testing to see how much attention people pay to the replies 😜

Top of the class.....10/10

Joking......my mistake 😅