Is Princess PLUS worth it for me personally?

Nothing can be described as a money grab if you are willing to pay and feel you got your money’s worth. After 20 years if spending weeks in inside cabins and having to pay ala carte for all drinks. We are now glad to pay for full suites and plus packages. We used to have to budget over $50 a day per person just for drinks when the cost $6 each

• Like 2

We don't buy packages simply because we would drink more. We have stayed in all-inclusive resorts in places like Cancun and know this. We start our late afternoons in one of our cabins or balconies, having happy hour with regional beer, wine, or liquor that we have brought back from ports, then move to one of the bars for a glass or two of wine.

Maybe a package would save us money, but we usually pay for our drinks with OBC. We also try more local beverages this way. 🤪

• Like 1

Just an observation, no complaints per se.  This is the latest thread that begins with a question about bundle package values and evolves into debate.  After a lengthy absence from here, I see another thing that has not changed at all.  I do hope when I continue down the topic list on page one I will no longer see a dress thread.  🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Just an observation, no complaints per se.  This is the latest thread that begins with a question about bundle package values and evolves into debate.  After a lengthy absence from here, I see another thing that has not changed at all.  I do hope when I continue down the topic list on page one I will no longer see a dress thread.  🤪

Oh you know a dress question is right around the corner probably about ball caps. That seems to be the thing going on now 

39 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I'm sure you will but don't let it scare you away! 😁 I've been taking breaks for years at a time, and the most common thing I've noticed since way before I joined is people saying they were leaving Princess forever over some minor slight. A week later, they are back. 😉

Edited by Teechur
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I only drink one or two drinks containing alcohol a day, if that, but I always purchase the Plus package. I like the freedom to order whatever I want, whenever I want, without worrying about the bill at the end. I also like to order bottled water, soda, mocktails, and specialty coffee. It’s worth it to me. 

I’m supposed to be sailing tomorrow on a 17 day cruise with Princess Plus. I had to cancel due to a medical emergency, so everything has been refunded or is in the process of being refunded. I received the “Have a great cruise” text messages today…I’m so sad. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

After having spent some months in the Sun Princess group on Facebook, I learned that there is no enforced dress code there. It´s on paper, but not enforced ever.

Being a working class kid, I hated dressing up. It took me decades and especially my first cruise with Celebrity in 2012 to understand why dress codes were there and why now I would want them to be strictly enfored.

But while I evolved, the world seemingly retrogressed in the name of progress of liberty and free choice. So, now we have the right to sit in a tuxedo next to a guy in undies. 

PERSONAL COMMENT NOT INTENDED TO START THE BILLIONTH DRESS CODE DISCUSSION 😇😉

Again thanks very much to help me decide about PLUS. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Watch out for tipping threads!

8 hours ago, memoak said:

Oh you know a dress question is right around the corner probably about ball caps. That seems to be the thing going on now 

Actually, there had been quite a decline in frequency and so forth of those threads.  I think most everyone has realized that reality is something different than the written word and that varying styles of attire are accepted.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nemanoxer said:

After having spent some months in the Sun Princess group on Facebook, I learned that there is no enforced dress code there. It´s on paper, but not enforced ever.

Being a working class kid, I hated dressing up. It took me decades and especially my first cruise with Celebrity in 2012 to understand why dress codes were there and why now I would want them to be strictly enforced..

But while I evolved, the world seemingly retrogressed in the name of progress of liberty and free choice. So, now we have the right to sit in a tuxedo next to a guy in undies. 

X changed their dress code/recommendations almost 9 years ago, but the enforcement had relaxed well before then.  Princess has not changed much in their wording at all in that time, but similarly has relaxed the situation (it's a recommendation or request after all).  The thing is, folks are welcome to continue their tradition if they like.  But it isn't as "bad" as you indicate - although I am sure you were joking about underwear.  There's always going to be one or two outliers in a crowd of thousands.  I cannot be bothered getting bothered about it.

3 hours ago, Nemanoxer said:

Being a working class kid, I hated dressing up. It took me decades and especially my first cruise with Celebrity in 2012 to understand why dress codes were there and why now I would want them to be strictly enfored.

All in all, you've got to admit that having a choice isn't that bad.

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2024 at 1:14 PM, nbsjcruiser said:

You can order 350ml bottles of liquor to your cabin at a reasonable price. Check it out on your booking. I usually pre-order a bottle of Cognac or scotch (depending on the selection)

Or onboard call room service to order whatever bottle of liquor (350 ml) you prefer.

On 7/31/2024 at 11:55 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

Interesting comments on both sides.  

We have just booked Princess after almost 20 years away.  We went with the plus because we won’t have any repeaters perks and are not in a suite. By the time we paid for gratuity and internet it only takes a couple of drinks and bottled water to make it “worth it”.  

We do have a ton of OBC which we can use for excursions right?  Can those be purchased ahead of time with OBC? 

Yes

On 7/30/2024 at 12:07 AM, qoap24 said:

This is why I usually get the drink package. I am not a big drinker, but when I am on a cruise, I like to try different drinks. The one time I didn't have a package, I got a few drinks I didn't like and I felt like I couldn't go order a different drink because I had just bought one and wasted my money. 

I also like to try different drinks and don’t want to worry about a budget . Hence, for me drinking package is worth it. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 10:30 AM, Treasure Hunter said:

If you go 20 minutes early to the theater you will get a seat and nobody needs extra desserts. 

20 minutes early??? You must be sailing on ghost ships.  I have never gone less than 45 minutes before any 30 minute show starts and we have to scope out 2 seats together. The Princess venues are too small to accommodate the amount of passengers they carry. Now it will be worse with reserved seats.

We were planning to just do just the Plus package for our next trip, which was originally a West Caribbean cruise in April but I've decided to surprise her with a bucket-list 7-day Eastern Mediterranean trip aboard the Sun Princess in May, and they now offer what is called Sanctuary Collection rooms which include Premier along with all the other perks. For $500 more P/P I thought it was worth it. I can't wait to see her expression when I give her this at Christmas...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

We were planning to just do just the Plus package for our next trip, which was originally a West Caribbean cruise in April but I've decided to surprise her with a bucket-list 7-day Eastern Mediterranean trip aboard the Sun Princess in May, and they now offer what is called Sanctuary Collection rooms which include Premier along with all the other perks. For $500 more P/P I thought it was worth it. I can't wait to see her expression when I give her this at Christmas...

The anticipation and pre cruise planning is a huge part of the excitement for many of us.

Surprises would not go over that well in our case.

Great choice re: sanctuary class.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

20 minutes early??? You must be sailing on ghost ships.  I have never gone less than 45 minutes before any 30 minute show starts and we have to scope out 2 seats together. The Princess venues are too small to accommodate the amount of passengers they carry. Now it will be worse with reserved seats.

I suspect that it will be even harder than ever to get a seat if you arrive only 20 minutes before showtime. Since there doesn't seem to be any limit to how many Premier package they'll be selling, we'll have to adjust our eating schedule accordingly. 

I've just booked Princess for the first time (although have sailed multiple times on several other lines like Cunard, Celebrity, P&O, RCI etc.) and decided to go for the Plus package as we could easily make up the value despite not being big drinkers of alcohol. What surprised me hugely though, and I recognise that this won't impact many on here, is that you don't need to buy the package for the third guest in the cabin (in our case our teenage son). Normally we would expect to be gouged for the additional fee even though he'll only go through a couple of diet cokes a day, so it was a really pleasant surprise when my TA phoned me back to suggest only buying for two of us. 

It might not seem like much, but even this alone has given me a very positive feeling about Princess and the upcoming cruise.

• Like 5

On 9/12/2024 at 6:38 AM, King Amo said:

I've just booked Princess for the first time (although have sailed multiple times on several other lines like Cunard, Celebrity, P&O, RCI etc.) and decided to go for the Plus package as we could easily make up the value despite not being big drinkers of alcohol. What surprised me hugely though, and I recognise that this won't impact many on here, is that you don't need to buy the package for the third guest in the cabin (in our case our teenage son). Normally we would expect to be gouged for the additional fee even though he'll only go through a couple of diet cokes a day, so it was a really pleasant surprise when my TA phoned me back to suggest only buying for two of us. 

It might not seem like much, but even this alone has given me a very positive feeling about Princess and the upcoming cruise.

I don’t know if you would want this for your son, but there is an unlimited soda package that also includes mocktails for a daily charge. 

On 9/12/2024 at 7:38 AM, King Amo said:

Yup, it's lovely that Princess doesn't require it for all passengers, regardless.

The third passenger will be charged daily crew appreciation, $17-19 depending on cabin type.  And of course, any drinks he may charge or wifi, etc is at cost, including eating at whatever casual dining or such.. 

FWIW - even when it comes to beverage packages on their own, Princess has never required all people in a cabin to buy one (or the same one) or none could.  While other lines have implemented that over the years, Princess hasn't ever had that rule.   One of the many things to like about Princess..

On 9/11/2024 at 10:02 PM, Iamcruzin said:

Reserved  seating has been part of the Premier Cruise Package since Feb 2023

It's not something new .

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Yup, it's lovely that Princess doesn't require it for all passengers, regardless.

The third passenger will be charged daily crew appreciation, $17-19 depending on cabin type.  And of course, any drinks he may charge or wifi, etc is at cost, including eating at whatever casual dining or such.. 

FWIW - even when it comes to beverage packages on their own, Princess has never required all people in a cabin to buy one (or the same one) or none could.  While other lines have implemented that over the years, Princess hasn't ever had that rule.   One of the many things to like about Princess..

Except that the drink only packages are more expensive that

n the actual plus package. Then the would still have to pay for CA and Wi-Fi