Storm may keep us from going on our cruise

5 hours ago, cruzemaven said:

Weather forecasts down here in South Florida are predicting possible storms and rough seas hitting the Bahamas and South Florida this Sunday and Monday- not sure what we’re going to do yet…guess we’ll have to wait until Sunday to decide if we’ll want to board The Reflection that’s embarking on Monday. Don’t mind the rain squalls but rough seas are a problem for us…will be very disappointed if we can’t go- hoping for the forecast to change 🤞🏻

Some people are immune to all OTC seasickness meds so just call your doctor's office, tell them you are susceptible to seasickness, and ask if they can write a script WITHOUT an office visit.  If they really want an office visit to write a script for seasick meds, one should strongly consider changing doctors because they're doing it to bill your insurance

55 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Some people are immune to all OTC seasickness meds so just call your doctor's office, tell them you are susceptible to seasickness, and ask if they can write a script WITHOUT an office visit.  If they really want an office visit to write a script for seasick meds, one should strongly consider changing doctors because they're doing it to bill your insurance

Whether your PCP sees you in person, or responds to your phone call, you are asking them to do the same amount of work. They will need to pull up your chart, review your health history and your med list. Then they will have to consider what precautions you need to be aware of and address those with you. 

For example: if you apply and scopalamine patch and then touch your eye or insert a contact without thoroughly washing your hands, you will probably get pupil dilation in that eye. Then you will wonder what in the heck is wrong with you and you will probably end up seeing the ship's doctor. (Don't ask me how I know).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

When I lived in NY we couldn't get cancel for any reason insurance. I recently found out by accident that you can't even purchase insurance from the cruise line if you are a NY resident. I found this out when booking a Princess cruise. I tried to add the Platinum insurance to my booking and it wouldn't accept it. When I called it turned out that it was because Princess still had me tagged as a New York resident even thought I updated my profile to a Florida address.

We are NY Res and buy pvt ins...much better coverage...for med, evac, etc.  Essential for us as US Medicare does not cover  med for travel outside US

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Tudy said:

Whether your PCP sees you in person, or responds to your phone call, you are asking them to do the same amount of work. They will need to pull up your chart, review your health history and your med list. Then they will have to consider what precautions you need to be aware of and address those with you. 

For example: if you apply and scopalamine patch and then touch your eye or insert a contact without thoroughly washing your hands, you will probably get pupil dilation in that eye. Then you will wonder what in the heck is wrong with you and you will probably end up seeing the ship's doctor. (Don't ask me how I know).

I agree with everything you state, it comes down to how they want to communicate with you.  Some doctors will only do something with an office visit resulting in a copay and then billing your insurance.  When it comes to disclosing precautions, people may not even retain anything they're being told whether in person or by the phone, and will probably be giving a printout anyway.  I can message my doctor and he's done anything I've asked without an office visit often the same day.  On the other hand, I forget some people do enjoy physically going to their doctor and of course, that's an option for them

Edit, to summarize...If you have a doctor who makes you come into the office for any request and you do not want to, you can shop around and find doctors who don't always require an office visit

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

3 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

love a refreshing Dark ‘n Stormy (and not just for the ginger.)😉

Try a Sidecar.  They are refreshingly delicious. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Current track of the storm takes it slowly over Cuba, and it has little chance of strengthening until after then. Right now, the sea state 150-250 miles north of the storm (same distance you'd expect on your cruise) is running 2.5 on the Beaufort scale. That's no more than a gentle breeze, wind less than 10 knots and seas less than 3 feet. Unless something significantly changes, I doubt you'll have any problem.

I am subject to seasickness which hasn't prevented me from going on 90 cruises so far.  I've been in seas up to 30' high.  Buy some meclizine (cheapest at Walmart) and some sea bands as extra protection.  No need to go to or call a doctor IMHO as this works as good as the patches.  In fact, I don't like the patches at all as you wear them all the time - pills you only take when you need them.  The patches didn't work very well for me either.  And please take care when drinking with any of these meds!  Not saying you can't at all, but even the meclizine (which is the medicine in non-drowsy Dramamine) can make you sleepy, just not as sleepy as original Dramamine.  And drinking a lot if you're seasick is definitetly not a good idea.

One note, the most common RX med for motion sickness is the scapalomine patch.  It is NOT recommended for people over 65 because the side effects, especially the more mental ones seem to be worse.  Stuff you learn when the doc says sure but the insurance company questions it and refuses to cover it.  It took some questioning but that was the bottom line answer and Bonnie and the OTC things cause other conflicts here so we ended with one of the "homeopathic" ones on Amazon.  It worked well.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We also stock a few cans of gingerale that we let go flat..

Our local Fla weather station..west coast.. says path is not certain..either west or up alibg Fl west coast..but there will be effects/:rain by Sunday am.

Edited by hcat

5 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

They no long have Kraken on the Celebrity 

Oh, that's going to be a problem for me.  I have to have at least one Kraken Colada per 7-days. 

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Oh, that's going to be a problem for me.  I have to have at least one Kraken Colada per 7-days. 

They didn’t have in November, and on the PDF it is not list , and it use to be 

Kraken is not a rum to be drink straight 🤢

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/drinks-flyer-11-06-2023.pdf

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hcat said:

We are NY Res and buy pvt ins...much better coverage...for med, evac, etc.  Essential for us as US Medicare does not cover  med for travel outside US

I don't buy it for medical reasons. It's cheaper to buy cruise line for  cancel for any reason insurance than booking the cruise with a refundable deposit. Plus you do get insurance benefits if you need them. We drive to port so air travel isn't an issue

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't buy it for medical reasons. It's cheaper to buy cruise line for  cancel for any reason insurance than booking the cruise with a refundable deposit. Plus you do get insurance benefits if you need them. We drive to port so air travel isn't an issue

NY residents cannot buy cruise line ins.  They refer you elsewhere..not the best rates.  We drive to port from west coast Fla,  but need medical and evac benefits.

Weather for Fl west coast looks like lots of rain by Sunday a.m. ( glad we are in NY.....heat warnings here)

South Florida weather forecast was updated this morning and tropical storm warnings may be issued as early as this afternoon. The forecast predicts that storm track could lead to the west coast of Florida but that the storms would still impact the east coast of  South Florida for several days with heavy rain and strong winds starting tomorrow…I guess  we’ll see how bad it is here (we’re not far from Port Everglades ) on Monday and make a decision on whether to go on the ship or not- still hoping that the storm system never forms

The map from the Sun Sentinel this morning shows it's headed towards the west coast. This storm may affect today's Reflection sailing more so then ours on Monday. Keeping fingers crossed for all.    

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hcat said:

NY residents cannot buy cruise line ins.  They refer you elsewhere..not the best rates.  We drive to port from west coast Fla,  but need medical and evac benefits.

Weather for Fl west coast looks like lots of rain by Sunday a.m. ( glad we are in NY.....heat warnings here)

That is recent since covid as I used to be able to get it years ago. I only found out this year when I booked a Princess Cruise and couldn't add insurance because they still had me listed as a NY resident even though I changed my address 

10 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I just took a peak at the radar, I do not get  the angst over this..

I would agree with you.  Years ago, there was a hurricane and we still had a great cruise with a modified itinerary.  The cruise will leave in nearly all cases.

They say green apples help. I always get some crystallized ginger to take on cruises. Some of the organic food stores have candied ginger or ginger mints that help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

That is recent since covid as I used to be able to get it years ago. I only found out this year when I booked a Princess Cruise and couldn't add insurance because they still had me listed as a NY resident even though I changed my address 

in effect for a few yrs now.. cruise line said it was due to NYS law.. no idea,  but has worked out okay for us

tonight's weather update says tropical storm will form..go along Fl west coast/ tampa bay..  high winds and lots of rain. Suggest folks. check port Ev website and  weather for east coast updates .

Hope it works out for cruisers  and for those   along Fl west coast