HAL looking at new designs

About a year ago, HAL invited me to join a HAL sponsored forum, similar to this one, except that in addition to general discussion, HAL often ask questions to the group, and asks for responses. Kind of like a focus group. Last week, HAL posed this question: 

Hello all,

The user research team wants your input around a booked experience. We'd like to meet online with 4 people who will look at new designs, and answer questions.

If you're interested, and have:

1. been on a cruise in the last 3 months;
  2. have been the primary person to plan and reserve for this cruise; check in online, etc.

- respond and let me know!

20-minute sessions will be available next week:

• Tue 7/30 11am-5:30pm

• Wed 7/31 8am-9am / 10am-11am / 12pm-5:30pm

• Thu 8/1 10:30am-2pm/ 3pm-5:30pm

I thought it interesting that HAL is asking for feedback on "new designs" -- so obviously HAL has been working on alternative ship designs (plural) and is now ready to test them out with experienced HAL cruisers in their focus group forum. There's been a lot of recent discussion and speculation on Cruise Critic on the future of HAL, new ship orders or lack thereof, etc. but this indicates that there has been some investment in new designs for either a new ship class, or significant modifications to an existing class (likely Pinnacle class IMO). 

I responded late and so was not selected to participate in that design review process but I would be very interested in anyone else on this forum could share on any insights gained from that review process.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Interesting, fun for you! But the "new designs" could be a lot of things besides new ships, particularly as they say you need to be the person to research, book and check in for the recent cruise. Could be website, app, procedures and policies, etc, all related to those special focuses.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

They say that they want your input around a booked experience so when they say designs it could be anything that involves passengers from customer service, to entertainment, to a dining venue, etc. Not necessarily a new ship, though it could.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

First thing that came to my mind was new "Web" design,

1 hour ago, CafeBruno said:

I thought it interesting that HAL is asking for feedback on "new designs" -- so obviously HAL has been working on alternative ship designs (plural) and is now ready to test them out with experienced HAL cruisers in their focus group forum.

I didn't read anything 'obvious". I thought the message was a bit clandestine.

. First thing that came to my mind was a new web design. Lord knows that is desperately needed. 

As previous posters mentioned, new design could mean just about anything. When they moved the shore excursion desk to crows nest wasn't that was a 'new design'?

Of course, it could be a new ship design, but if so, why wouldn't they just say 'new ship design' since that is positive advertising?

Do you have other information that made a new ship build the  'obvious' intention of the focus group?

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We had a similar kind of e-mail a little more than a year ago (after a 6 week Westerdam voyage).  Like most e-mails we get from HAL, it was immediately deleted without much thought.  

45 minutes ago, Lunar Dragon said:

HAL should just read our posts here on cruise critic.  We have all expressed opinions on numerous topics and know what we want!  It would save HAL time and money.😁

Except they have full control in their own environment and know the identities of their members. 

And what’s discussed there is not supposed to leave there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lunar Dragon said:

HAL should just read our posts here on cruise critic.  We have all expressed opinions on numerous topics and know what we want!  It would save HAL time and money.😁

Keep in mind that in the world of market research there are 2 main reasons for gathering information.

1. To determine how well operations are performing and how well you are executing current programs. That information you gather from current customers.

2. What you want to plan for future programs. That information you gather from your future targeted customer base.

Those 2 groups may not be the same, though they will most likely overlap.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Except they have full control in their own environment and know the identities of their members. 

And what’s discussed there is not supposed to leave there.

😎

Edited by Haljo1935

On 8/3/2024 at 2:45 PM, CafeBruno said:

The user research team wants your input around a booked experience. We'd like to meet online with 4 people who will look at new designs, and answer questions.

I

I am part of a Princess "group" and it's about marketing , page layout , cruise labeling ( sun fare vs southern fare ) some days it seems never ending. 20 questions addressing right handed servers on the buffet VS left handed servers 🤷‍♀️ but occasionally very interesting.... topics we hear about all the time , kids/ discipline, policy changes , what we as cruises think of as " extras" VS standard.if you get the opportunity I would recommend it. interesting to to see the " thought " process that goes on behind closed doors

• Like 3