bar measures

brian1

Hi all, just a quick question,is 2 ounces still the standard spirit measure and also what is the standard wine pour,TIA,Brian.

Depends on the bartender and how well you get to know him/them.  I always sit at the bar and talk to the bartenders and have frequently had them offer to "freshen up" my drink when it was about halfway done.  An unmarked envelope to the barstaff midway through the cruise is certainly appreciated...😉  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Depends on the bartender and how well you get to know him/them.  I always sit at the bar and talk to the bartenders and have frequently had them offer to "freshen up" my drink when it was about halfway done.  An unmarked envelope to the barstaff midway through the cruise is certainly appreciated...😉  

AMEN!  Take care of your bartender, always!

Don’t really get a much larger pour but once I get to know the bartenders I find that some drinks just don’t show up. Makes that 15 last all day and night

• Like 1

Standard drinks are a 1 oz pour, not sure if this is what you’re asking but a Long Island Ice Tea for instance that has multiple shots of alcohol is charged as one drink.

Strictly guessing here but I think wine is 3 oz but we order doubles and are each charged for 2 which is as it should be.

Double shot of Bailey’s in my latte in the morning is also 2 against my total.  

Hope this helps!

Shots are 1oz (29.57 ml)

wine is 5oz (147.85 ml) - glasses are marked @ 5oz in vines.

In the UK we are normally served

25ml for a single shot 
125ml for Champagne
125ml 175ml 250ml (S/M/L) for wine (small is rarely seen despite if being the law to offer a small wine)

by UK norms, shots are generous and wine is a little stingy.

36 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Shots are 1oz (29.57 ml)

wine is 5oz (147.85 ml) - glasses are marked @ 5oz in vines.

In the UK we are normally served

25ml for a single shot 
125ml for Champagne
125ml 175ml 250ml (S/M/L) for wine (small is rarely seen despite if being the law to offer a small wine)

by UK norms, shots are generous and wine is a little stingy.

Thanks I wasn’t sure about the wine pours 5 oz is correct.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sprocket said:

Standard drinks are a 1 oz pour, not sure if this is what you’re asking but a Long Island Ice Tea for instance that has multiple shots of alcohol is charged as one drink.

Strictly guessing here but I think wine is 3 oz but we order doubles and are each charged for 2 which is as it should be.

Double shot of Bailey’s in my latte in the morning is also 2 against my total.  

Hope this helps!

They do not pour a standard 1 oz shot for each liquor in the Long Islands. It’s more like 1/2 ounce for each. Still a good drink though. ETA: My go to is the Beverly Hills Iced Tea, so good.

Edited by tonit964
  • Like 1

Just go to Good Spirits at Sea.  Their special nighttime menu is the best on the ships.  But the new menus on the Sun look fabulous and will result in an upgrade to Premier for us because of the number of intriguing drinks between 16-20 dollars.

Cheers guys,we haven't sailed Princess for at least 8 yrs.IIR a standard shot used to be 2 oz.Back in the day we used to have x amount of voddy and cokes and a bottle of wine in the bar.We used to buy the wine package then and I had to go to a restaurant,get it and bring it back to the bar as they didn't serve bottles.Do they still do the wine packages,if so what's the deals,sorry for the extra question,Brian.PS 1 oz is a bit stingy,almost as small as a Brit single,lol.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Cheers guys,we haven't sailed Princess for at least 8 yrs.IIR a standard shot used to be 2 oz.Back in the day we used to have x amount of voddy and cokes and a bottle of wine in the bar.We used to buy the wine package then and I had to go to a restaurant,get it and bring it back to the bar as they didn't serve bottles.Do they still do the wine packages,if so what's the deals,sorry for the extra question,Brian.PS 1 oz is a bit stingy,almost as small as a Brit single,lol.

I will ask what size Jigger Princess bartenders use, but I believe the most common one is 1.5 oz and 3/4 oz on the flip side.

On Princess, mini bar is only stocked if you are in a suite and or Elite loyalty tier, if both then u receive 2 minibars, Items provided will depend on availability, but normally will have 8 alcohol minis and 2 beers, with 10 non alcohol items being combination of bottled water, sparkling water, soft drinks and tonic/club soda mixer. You are allowed to swap alcohol for alcohol/non alcohol and non alcohol for any other non alcohol item available, such as you want all bottled water or all soft drink or total minibar for 1 bottle of wine from a selected list(many feel this is not a great trade).

Have not seen wine package offered in a long time, will ask on upcoming 17 day sailing if Princess plans to reintroduce.

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tonit964 said:

They do not pour a standard 1 oz shot for each liquor in the Long Islands. It’s more like 1/2 ounce for each. Still a good drink though. ETA: My go to is the Beverly Hills Iced Tea, so good.

May I ask what the difference is between a Long Island and a Beverley Hills Ice tea?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Esprit said:

May I ask what the difference is between a Long Island and a Beverley Hills Ice tea?

On a repo on Coral,Alaska to FL I had a Bollywood ice tea.I think the barman was Indian,lol.All top shelf 2oz measures,after 3 I was dancing on the deck to the band in the rain and in my tux.Too old for that now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember years ago when Cunard reduced their standard shot from 2 to 1.5 oz.It caused quite a stir.When we sailed with them it was just about acceptable.but we often paid the extra for the half ounce,lol.

18 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I believe most recipes of Long Island incorporates Coke/cola as mixer with the ‘spirits’ whereas the Beverly Hills uses Prosecco/sparkling wine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Esprit said:

As others have said, instead of Coke, they put simple syrup & Prosecco. They are refreshing & go down easy. 😁

IMG_2211.jpeg

Edited by tonit964
To add pic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually drink scotch, so I ask for my drinks neat ( without Ice)  that way I'm guaranteed a correct pour.  Seems liked mixed drinks ( with water added) have more water, and  just a touch of alcohol for added color.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/6/2024 at 5:50 PM, KreinKrunker said:

It depends on the drink.  A shot of Stolly Elite on the rocks is covered with the Plus package, but a Stolly Martini is not.

This is the primary reason we get the premier package.....

On 8/7/2024 at 2:44 AM, wallyj said:

I will ask what size Jigger Princess bartenders use, but I believe the most common one is 1.5 oz and 3/4 oz on the flip side.

On Princess, mini bar is only stocked if you are in a suite and or Elite loyalty tier, if both then u receive 2 minibars, Items provided will depend on availability, but normally will have 8 alcohol minis and 2 beers, with 10 non alcohol items being combination of bottled water, sparkling water, soft drinks and tonic/club soda mixer. You are allowed to swap alcohol for alcohol/non alcohol and non alcohol for any other non alcohol item available, such as you want all bottled water or all soft drink or total minibar for 1 bottle of wine from a selected list(many feel this is not a great trade).

Have not seen wine package offered in a long time, will ask on upcoming 17 day sailing if Princess plans to reintroduce.

@brian1, just boarded Emerald and I asked bartender what is the size of the Jiggers, answer is 1.5 oz and smaller/bottom size being .75 oz . 

Have not seen any wine packages offered, but will try to remember to ask at Vines. Vines does have quite a few wine tastings offered. Maybe because this sailing has so many sea days. Prices ranged from $29 - $79 .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wallyj said:

@brian1, just boarded Emerald and I asked bartender what is the size of the Jiggers, answer is 1.5 oz and smaller/bottom size being .75 oz . 

Have not seen any wine packages offered, but will try to remember to ask at Vines. Vines does have quite a few wine tastings offered. Maybe because this sailing has so many sea days. Prices ranged from $29 - $79 .

Thanks for that 1.5 is acceptable.I think they don't do wine packages now.It used to be a book of vouchers and it worked out if you paid for 10 bottles one was free.Something like that, correct me if I'm wrong,cheers,Brian.

7 hours ago, wallyj said:

For martinis on the Grand the last 3 weeks they have been using 3 of the smaller jiggers. Fills the glass to the brim

• Like 1