Canada/New England

DrewCC2225

Hey all. I’ve always wanted to do the Canada/New England cruise out of NY. For those that have done it, what are your thoughts? We have mostly done Caribbean cruises along with Hawaii and Panama Canal. NY is obviously cold in October which is when we would want to do it and we have two children 12 and 6. Would the pool be too cold to swim in? 

We have done this itinerary twice now...once R/T NYC and the second one-way NYC to Quebec City.  In order to answer about the pool(s) we would need to know which ship.  We almost *never* use the pools...but someone else will likely chime in if you can share the ship. (Some ships have indoor pools...)

It also might depend on where you live now? If you live in a colder climate, kids are kids and our experience is they go swimming even if the adults think they are nuts.

Just recently back from Alaska and kids were in the pool even on the coldest, nastiest days....

🤷‍♀️

The October Canada/New England cruises out of NY (Brooklyn) are all 7 night RT on the Enchanted Princess.  Unfortunately, the Enchanted Princess does not have a covered pool.

If you decide to take one of these cruises, look for one with only one sea day and a stop in St. John, NB, rather than the one with two sea days and no stop in NB

We did the 10 day, NYC to Quebec City and then the return 10 day QC to NYC - LOVED IT

even though we hit some of the same stops coming and going, we got off the ship at all stops and walked around and did some ship excursions.  We were fortunate to have beautiful weather but it is a great cruise.

I have sailed one way Quebec to Brooklyn. Great cruise. It's not a grab a lounge and sit around the pool cruise. Pools are not over crowded. Kids usually handle colder weather. Do you swim outdoors in NY in October? Same on the ship. This is a very nice itinerary which you sail mainly for the ports and being on board.

• Like 1

I did a 10-Day one-way NYC to Quebec on the Emerald in mid-October in 2012 and the weather was surprisingly nice. Now the one ways only start or end in Boston I think.

The weather on my cruise was surprisingly nice and I used the Lotus pool and hot tubs a lot. But I also grew up swimming competitively in freezing pools in cold climates and love to be in a pool no matter the weather. I don't remember very many other people being in the pools. Getting out was definitely cold but only until I could get covered up.

12 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

The October Canada/New England cruises out of NY (Brooklyn) are all 7 night RT on the Enchanted Princess.  Unfortunately, the Enchanted Princess does not have a covered pool.

If you decide to take one of these cruises, look for one with only one sea day and a stop in St. John, NB, rather than the one with two sea days and no stop in NB

We are sailing  at the end of this month and got both...two sea days AND a stop in NB.  It's because they cut a stop in R.I, but I think I'm happy with the extra sea day since this will be our first time on this ship. 

15 hours ago, DrewCC2225 said:

Hey all. I’ve always wanted to do the Canada/New England cruise out of NY. For those that have done it, what are your thoughts? We have mostly done Caribbean cruises along with Hawaii and Panama Canal. NY is obviously cold in October which is when we would want to do it and we have two children 12 and 6. Would the pool be too cold to swim in? 

I'm on a Canada/New England cruise RIGHT NOW on the Emerald. It sailed out of Boston. It's been a very nice cruise. The temperatures have been decently warm (highs in the 70s) and the pools are open. I've seen some takers. 

For more details than you could possibly want, here's a link to my LIVE thread: 

Loved this cruise twice.  Enchanted week before Halloween was fun and the colours still visible mid to 3 rd week in October.  Hot tubs ok.  Did d new t use pools but some did.  It was nice t cold on my cruises.

We do a Canada /New England from the UK this September. I have looked at what sort of temperatures we can expect. Obviously there's no guarantee and on past cruises at that time of year we have missed our last port of call which was St. John's Newfoundland due to hurricanes in fact one year it followed us up the cost. We left New York and it hit a few days later. Travelling up the coast we went down the St Lawrence river into Quebec where the hurricane passed by. It got to St john's before we did so we got in. But this year due to them apparently not dredging the harbour we are unable to get in. We have an inside cabin as we deem a balcony as probably not worth the extra due to crossing the pond and the weather not really being good enough to justify the extra outlay. We maybe would have bid on a balcony but Princess want another £1300 pp and that's a minimum.