Getting from Quebec City to Boston

Kopy

We are taking a cruise one way from Boston to Quebec City in May and would like go get some suggestions on the best way to get back to Boston

We did a Montreal to Boston cruise last year, and took the bus up to Montreal.  If you have the time and want to see the countryside that was good way.  Spent a few days in Montreal before the cruise and that was great.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kopy said:

We are taking a cruise one way from Boston to Quebec City in May and would like go get some suggestions on the best way to get back to Boston

Presumably you want to disembark and make your way to Boston as soon as possible?

I second the suggestion to take a B2B as the best option. Another option is Porter Airlines. Although you will have to take a connection in Toronto, it will be at the Island Airport, right in the heart of the city. There are fantastic views to be had when landing and taking off.

Another option, if you prefer a nonstop, is to take the VIA Rail train to Montreal and fly from there.

10 hours ago, Kopy said:

Hello @Kopy and welcome back to Cruise Critic and the message boards! I see it has been a while since you have posted.

Thank you for your new thread, however it was off topic where posted. To help you out, your new thread has been moved to the North American Homeports - East Coast Departures forum where it will be on topic. Browse through the thread titles in this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you are posting again! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list of the various forums. I suggest you put the page link in your browser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

I also suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies such as this one. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Rome2Rio is ok to get a general idea of options but ALWAYS double check to see if they still work.  I have yet to review a R2R suggestion without seeing something that hasn't been in place since Covid or whatever.  I find Google Maps is more uptoday on bus lines and air options and ferry choices than R2R is, but their lists also need to be double checked for accuracy

We've done this on Holland America. We took the cruise line offered bus for $54 a person to YUL (the Montreal airport) and flew home on Air Canada. The cruise line transfer was cheaper than the train, and, in my opinion, easier. It's about a three hour drive.

On 8/9/2024 at 7:20 AM, Fouremco said:

Another vote for checking Rome2Rio. Here's the Quebec-to-Boston link:

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Quebec/Boston#trips

Not really great info on here-- or at least not very current. 

Amtrak Adirondack service is currently suspended due to track improvements and even if it were running there aren't great connections to Boston-- essentially you have to take it to New York Penn to then take a Regional or Acela up to Boston and it can take up to a day to do it this way. The train is a fun way to get to New York but a lousy one to get to Boston in this specific case. Service resumes in late September apparently. 

Flying Quebec to Boston is easy-- I agree that Porter is a fun option that has a layover at Billy Bishop Airport on Toronto Island. The problem with Rome2Rio here is that it lists that trip as taking over 6 hours when that Porter trip is about 5 hours and the Air Canada flights through Montreal Trudeau only take about 3 hours. 

Driving yourself can take 6-7 hours. Just make sure to check with the rental car that the one way drop and international fees don't make it cost prohibitive. 

For me the Air Canada flight through Montreal Trudeau at a little over 3 hours total travel time by far is the best option here. And its priced right-- I saw as low as $180 pp if booked in advance. 

Honestly I haven't spent much time looking at Rome2Rio but if this is emblematic of what info they offer I would double and triple check them every time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Not really great info on here-- or at least not very current. 

Amtrak Adirondack service is currently suspended due to track improvements and even if it were running there aren't great connections to Boston-- essentially you have to take it to New York Penn to then take a Regional or Acela up to Boston and it can take up to a day to do it this way. The train is a fun way to get to New York but a lousy one to get to Boston in this specific case. Service resumes in late September apparently. 

Flying Quebec to Boston is easy-- I agree that Porter is a fun option that has a layover at Billy Bishop Airport on Toronto Island. The problem with Rome2Rio here is that it lists that trip as taking over 6 hours when that Porter trip is about 5 hours and the Air Canada flights through Montreal Trudeau only take about 3 hours. 

Driving yourself can take 6-7 hours. Just make sure to check with the rental car that the one way drop and international fees don't make it cost prohibitive. 

For me the Air Canada flight through Montreal Trudeau at a little over 3 hours total travel time by far is the best option here. And its priced right-- I saw as low as $180 pp if booked in advance. 

Honestly I haven't spent much time looking at Rome2Rio but if this is emblematic of what info they offer I would double and triple check them every time. 

Consider the vast transportation options in any given country, and the frequency with which schedules change, flights are added or subtracted, routes are modified, prices increase, etc., etc., and then multiply these to include most countries in the world. IMO, it would be highly unreasonable to expect R2R to maintain a constantly up to date detailed listing of global transportation options.

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

The train is a fun way to get to New York but a lousy one to get to Boston in this specific case. Service resumes in late September apparently. 

As R2R allows you to input your travel dates, next May in the OP's case, the problems you mention with respect to the Amtrak Adirondack won't be an issue if service resumes a few weeks from now.

I view R2R as an excellent initial resource for researching options. Once I've determined my preferred option(s), I can then drill down to get detailed current information from the transportation providers' websites. In your case, you clearly have a good idea of what the options are and which you are likely to choose, so R2R is really not a necessary step. But if you were travelling in a country that you had never visit and knew little about, R2R would probably serve you very well as an initial starting place.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I view R2R as an excellent initial resource for researching options. Once I've determined my preferred option(s), I can then drill down to get detailed current information from the transportation providers' websites.

I think my umbrage with it is that it is a bit too AI and doesn't take into account the human factor. Can you take a VIA train from QC to St Lambert and transfer there as it suggests? Sure. Would it be vastly easier, less time consuming with passport control, and more enjoyable to make the transfer Gare Centrale in Montreal? Absolutely. 

It's like when GPS advises you to go weird route because it thinks it will save 30 seconds but you end up turned around because it was overly complicated. 

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I think my umbrage with it is that it is a bit too AI and doesn't take into account the human factor. Can you take a VIA train from QC to St Lambert and transfer there as it suggests? Sure. Would it be vastly easier, less time consuming with passport control, and more enjoyable to make the transfer Gare Centrale in Montreal? Absolutely. 

It's like when GPS advises you to go weird route because it thinks it will save 30 seconds but you end up turned around because it was overly complicated. 

LOL. I'm a big proponent of both R2R and Google Maps, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree!

Porter Airlines are very civilized, but as a caution, those local flights are all on Dash-8s, so turbo-prop planes, which are quite loud, and quite small - bring your noise-cancelling headphones! The Toronto Island Airport (aka, Billy Bishop) is small, so you don't need to worry about finding your gate - all of the gates are from the same central area. 

VIA Rail does have a train that stops at Montreal airport (but I think you need to change at the Gare Centrale, and looking at the VIA site, the train is about 4.5 hours), or you can take a cruise transfer to Montreal, for a non-stop flight to Boston from Montreal - it looks like Air Canada will be your only option for that flight. 

Unless things change by the time the OP travels, the biggest downside to using Porter through Billy Bishop is that you have to clear US immigration in Boston. If you use Montreal, you clear there and land in Boston domestically. I've heard they are trying to get US Preclearance at the island, but haven't heard if there is a timeline for it yet. I'd also want to compare the flight times to see whether it is worthwhile flying all the way to Toronto compared to sitting on a bus for 3 hours to Montreal for a shorter flight. And yes, the Q400, while a fine aircraft, might not be preferable to fly that much in (although neither is sitting on a bus that long either). 

I say just book the cruise back to Boston lol. 

They've been discussing pre-clearance there for at least 6-7 years.  FWIW, clearing Customs in Boston isn't hard if you are arriving in off hours.  We landed mid day from Toronto on Porter and were landside in under 20 minutes, without Global Entry

On 8/17/2024 at 9:53 AM, DanJ said:

Unless things change by the time the OP travels, the biggest downside to using Porter through Billy Bishop is that you have to clear US immigration in Boston.

I would say thats the second biggest downside. The biggest one here is having to fly to Toronto in the first place which is significantly out of the way. Taking Air Canada with a stopover in Montreal is much faster and more direct-- it cuts 2 hours total travel time off going through Montreal vs Porter to Billy Bishop. 

46 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I would say thats the second biggest downside. The biggest one here is having to fly to Toronto in the first place which is significantly out of the way. Taking Air Canada with a stopover in Montreal is much faster and more direct-- it cuts 2 hours total travel time off going through Montreal vs Porter to Billy Bishop. 

Depending on when the flights are. I'm not going to make a deep dive on when the flights leave YQB and how long the respective connections are in YUL, YTZ or YYZ. There is also United to Newark and American to Philadelphia to compare to as well.