Extending Final Payment Date?

Long story short.  Final payment date is 8/12.  Will find out 8/13 if I just "live" with a knee issue or have surgery.  If I have surgery, then no cruise.  

Anyone here have success asking for a very short extension?

I called about a week ago the person told me I would have to call back on 8/12 to find out.  And they added it would be unlikely unless I have already paid for 50% or more of the cruise.  So far have just paid the $250 deposit.  Easy to walk away from that.  No chance I pay a non-refundable 50% before asking.

Posted (edited)

I have heard of people getting a very short extension like 24-36 hours. Never hurts to ask. But yes, you'll need to call the day it's due.

Edited by mz-s

I agree with @mz-s. On the 12th call, try to get to a Supervisor, and tell him/her your exact story. See if you can get 24-48 hours. I have heard anecdotal stories suggesting it's possible. Good luck both with the cruise and your knee.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I would call my Dr's office on the 12th, explain your situation and see if they can accommodate you with the information a day early. I'm sure they already have the report in the office. ETA: Or schedule the surgery after your cruise, if possible.

Best of luck to you and I hope you're able to make your cruise.

Edited by tonit964
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, tonit964 said:

I would call my Dr's office on the 12th, explain your situation and see if they can accommodate you with the information a day early. I'm sure they already have the report in the office. ETA: Or schedule the surgery after your cruise, if possible.

Best of luck to you and I hope you're able to make your cruise.

Not to get too deep into it, but the 13th is a second opinion so face to face discussion is needed.  Would not even consider postponing surgery for a cruise.  My thought is there is a chance for surgery and enough recovery prior to our cruise, but that is part of the second opinion. 

Edited by Badfinger
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

Not to get too deep into it, but the 13th is a second opinion so face to face discussion is needed.  Would not even consider postponing surgery for a cruise.  My thought is there is a chance for surgery and enough recovery prior to our cruise, but that is part of the second opinion. 

Completely understand. Hoping for the best results for you. 

I have intentionally left the final payment lapse on a couple cruises, assuming that I would get an email that it was called due to non-payment (only $100 deposit).  Instead I  received emails for around three weeks, that there was still time to prevent the cruise from being canceled.  It may have been that there were still plenty of unsold cabins on those cruises, and if they were sold out our cruises would have canceled on the day payment was due. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I have intentionally left the final payment lapse on a couple cruises, assuming that I would get an email that it was called due to non-payment (only $100 deposit).  Instead I  received emails for around three weeks, that there was still time to prevent the cruise from being canceled.  It may have been that there were still plenty of unsold cabins on those cruises, and if they were sold out our cruises would have canceled on the day payment was due. 

Yep, my guess is that if the published cruise fares on deadline day are materially higher than when you booked, you are less likely to get that "last chance" email. 

Just did this a few weeks ago and was able to get an extension twice (for a total of 12 days). I have a great PVP and I emailed her and she made it happen, so they will definitely do it.

Well, called this morning a couple minutes after they opened.  Waited on hold about 13 seconds.  The agent basically told me you always get a 2-day grace period (really only needed one day), so all is good.  But did find out there is a time as well, in my case 7:55pm CS, for which payment is due.  Always assumed midnight.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

As the patient, the choice is yours whether to have the surgery or not.  And also, very generally (within reason of hospital availability) when.

Patients can agree or not.  Sometimes people forget this.

23 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

@Badfinger what is the outcome? 🤞

9 hours ago, nydney1 said:

Outcome? Inquiring minds want to know

On 8/12/2024 at 9:33 AM, Badfinger said:

Well, called this morning a couple minutes after they opened.  Waited on hold about 13 seconds.  The agent basically told me you always get a 2-day grace period (really only needed one day), so all is good.  But did find out there is a time as well, in my case 7:55pm CS, for which payment is due.  Always assumed midnight.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 5:47 AM, nydney1 said:

Outcome? Inquiring minds want to know

Paid for the cruise but also bought insurance so I can cancel for any reason should my knee not respond as expected before the cruise.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3