Line most likely to have table for two for dinner

Breckski

Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2024 at 7:14 PM, TrojanGal said:

We never had an issue getting a table for 2. We did scurry downstairs quickly from the lounge to the dining room after the evening port talk to grab a table but one night we missed the port talk and were later than usual going into the dining room and still found a table for 2.

I arrived home Monday after my second Scenic cruise this year. The first this year was 75% full, the second was 63.4% full, so we often had tables for 4 or 6 to ourselves. But a 2 top is so - less than a foot - close to another table you have to acknowledge anyone already sitting there.

I noted as the cruise went on and people were making friends that they preferred to sit together, so the 6 and larger tables were packed leaving the 2 tops vacant.

image.thumb.png.5e69767ba7cbf0d075e70590514deb3a.pngView from our 2 top at dinner. The 4 top next to us was empty, the 6 top next to us (on the right of the picture) was full.

Edited by pontac
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, pontac said:

Errr - I subscribe to both. 🙂

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

I read both online as well. 

Indeed. Those of us who desire to be well-informed, not placated, tend to obtain our news from a variety of sources. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2024 at 9:08 AM, Roz said:

For me,  dining with others and meeting new people is part of the cruising experience. I guess I'm some sort of weirdo. I  prefer a 4 or 6 top table. 

Hey Roz, you are NOT A weirdo! As a solo guest, I also enjoy dining with other folks. We are of the same mindset😀

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hey Roz, you are NOT A weirdo! As a solo guest, I also enjoy dining with other folks. We are of the same mindset😀

Me too. However if at a table for 6 I prefer it to be a round table rather than rectangular; to me it works better for conversation. 

• Like 4

On 8/21/2024 at 7:53 AM, pontac said:

I arrived home Monday after my second Scenic cruise this year. The first this year was 75% full, the second was 63.4% full, so we often had tables for 4 or 6 to ourselves. But a 2 top is so - less than a foot - close to another table you have to acknowledge anyone already sitting there.

I noted as the cruise went on and people were making friends that they preferred to sit together, so the 6 and larger tables were packed leaving the 2 tops vacant.

View from our 2 top at dinner. The 4 top next to us was empty, the 6 top next to us (on the right of the picture) was full.

Thanks for sharing your recent experience on Scenic and the sailing's occupancy.  Our Avalon sailing in June was also at low occupancy.  I wonder if river cruising hasn't fully recovered or if it's a case of softening demand?

3 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Thanks for sharing your recent experience on Scenic and the sailing's occupancy.  Our Avalon sailing in June was also at low occupancy.  I wonder if river cruising hasn't fully recovered or if it's a case of softening demand?

Or mushrooming supply?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Our cruise in 2018 wasn't at full capacity, so not sure if it's because fewer people know about Avalon, or most don't do research and choose one main one that does a lot of advertising.

On 8/12/2024 at 9:40 AM, Breckski said:

we ended up getting in between a conversation with the couple to our left and the other couple to our right.  We just left the restaurant after our appetizer and ate elsewher

Did you ask if one or the other of the couples would like to switch tables with you? I would have done this as soon as I saw the problem, probably before food arrived or before orders were even taken, so would have been pretty simple.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2024 at 1:55 PM, cbr663 said:

I wonder if river cruising hasn't fully recovered or if it's a case of softening demand?

I think @gnome12 has the answer. The Programme Director said all departures from September onwards were 100% full. Maybe people avoided August as it might be too hot for them.

Edited by pontac

4 hours ago, pontac said:

I think @gnome12 has the answer. The Programme Director said all departures from September onwards were 100% full. Maybe people avoided August as it might be too hot for them.

Our Avalon Rhine cruise was in June.  We were actually looking for travel in 2025 and when researching saw that there were options for June in 2024 and decided why wait for 2025.

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2024 at 11:29 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

When I'm with Brits and the conversation tends to the political, I ask "Would you characterize yourself as a Telegraph or a Guardian reader?"  Then I know where I stand vis à vis.

I love this! I am political & will always start a conversation. Good to know where they stand before getting into it.

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Jazz I’m impressed by your knowledge of the U.K. newspapers political leanings but I can never work out where the Donkeys or Elephants sit surly they’d need a much bigger table than a two top!

My question adapted to a Yank would be Wall Street Journal vs New York Times.  Or Fox News vs MSNBC. 

• Like 1