How about one more "LIVE" from Edge in Alaska? August 16 - 23. 2024

mac_tlc

1 hour ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

in a SV which is the only way I can do an E class ship…can’t afford retreat and need a proper balcony.

I am of the same mindset even though I haven’t sailed on an Edge-class vessel yet.

But when I finally do (next month) I will be in a SV.

I think the Infinite “Verandah” might be an option I would consider only on a cold-weather itinerary at an amazing price.

Looking forward to having a closer look at the pair of SVs with the divider open if that is possible.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

I am of the same mindset even though I haven’t sailed on an Edge-class vessel yet.

I think the Infinite “Verandah” might be an option I would consider only on a cold-weather itinerary at an amazing price.

Looking forward to having a closer look at the pair of SVs with the divider open if that is possible.

If you find an amazing price let me know…

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Looking forward to hearing the opinions from your kids…are they new to cruising or just E class? 

Just to E-class. Before the kids were married and out of the house, they went on every cruise we took. Both are Diamond + on Royal on their own. Well, they sailed to earn the points but the $$$ were paid by “someone else”. They would be almost Elite on their own points on X. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Looking forward to hearing the opinions from your kids…are they new to cruising or just E class? 

Just to E-class. Before the kids were married and out of the house, they went on every cruise we took. Both are Diamond + on Royal on their own. Well, they sailed to earn the points but the $$$ were paid by “someone else”. They would be almost Elite on their own points on X. 

mac_tlc

Posted (edited)

let’s try a mid air update from 36,000 ft above Montana. Very smooth travel day so far, no issue with departures or connections. Currently a little under an hour from Seattle. We are flying Southwest and they do have some free entertainment options, about a dozen or so live TV stations, a bunch of movies and TV series episodes. 

But for me they have a flight tracker! 

IMG_6719.png

There are a number of different views: For instance, the cockpit view:

IMG_6721.png

And some flight information…

IMG_6718.png

They do have internet access for a flat $8 per device fee, if you need to do important stuff like post to cruisecritic. 🙄. You do get 25% back if you use their credit card. 

Speed is acceptable:

IMG_6717.png

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

I will get copious cabin photos, especially if we have some of those elusive loungers. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

It is cruise day!!

Our overnight at the Hilton Airport was ok. Not the newest hotel and the furnishings certainly show their age. Not a lot of dining choices nearby, at least not nearby as defined with a wheelchair…

Scheduled an UBER for 9:30 as we have a 10:30 boarding time. As many other here do, I did a comparison between LYFT and UBER. 

Here is LYFT:

IMG_6725.png

IMG_6726.png

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

So what kind of plans do we have at the ports? And oh, what about dining?

Well, when I booked this a very long time ago, there was a promotion that included $200OBC per cabin. We also had a carryover of $600 of OBC from the twice cancelled Fall 2024 Transatlantics on the Apex and Beyond. So we booked all ship excursions. 

Juneau : Whale watch and salmon bake

Ketchikan : City tour and lumberjack show

Skagway : White Pass Railway

Victoria: Stay on board

It Is often a challenge to find any tour that can accommodate the wheelchair. In fact, I am not 100% sure of the Juneau tour. I will confirm on board. Ketchikan is a new port for us, the others we have been to before. There will also be some shopping and purchasing everywhere! The grandkids need something! 

As far as dining, the only specialty we have booked is Eden. It’s our favorite and I think my son and DIL will really like it. We will be experiencing the four main dining rooms for the first time in a while. My wife is excited about that since the Luminae menu has run its course with her. We have been very fortunate to be able to experience the Retreat a lot in the past 3 years. The menu does get a bit “familiar”, as would any menu when you go a lot. We will most likely do the Rooftop Garden Grill —- especially since it’s not Caribbean-hot in Alaska. It’s the least expensive specialty and the E+ gets 15% off. And —- my DW wants the cookie!

I booked AI, and upgraded both the drink package and wifi during a Black Friday sale that was really reasonable. I think the drink package upgrade was $7pp and the wifi was $4pp. 

T- 2 1/2 hours to UBER!

mac_tlc

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

So what kind of plans do we have at the ports? And oh, what about dining?

Well, when I booked this a very long time ago, there was a promotion that included $200OBC per cabin. We also had a carryover of $600 of OBC from the twice cancelled Fall 2024 Transatlantics on the Apex and Beyond. So we booked all ship excursions. 

Juneau : Whale watch and salmon bake

Ketchikan : City tour and lumberjack show

Skagway : White Pass Railway

Victoria: Stay on board

It Is often a challenge to find any tour that can accommodate the wheelchair. In fact, I am not 100% sure of the Juneau tour. I will confirm on board. Ketchikan is a new port for us, the others we have been to before. There will also be some shopping and purchasing everywhere! The grandkids need something! 

As far as dining, the only specialty we have booked is Eden. It’s our favorite and I think my son and DIL will really like it. We will be experiencing the four main dining rooms for the first time in a while. My wife is excited about that since the Luminae menu has run its course with her. We have been very fortunate to be able to experience the Retreat a lot in the past 3 years. The menu does get a bit “familiar”, as would any menu when you go a lot. We will most likely do the Rooftop Garden Grill —- especially since it’s not Caribbean-hot in Alaska. It’s the least expensive specialty and the E+ gets 15% off. And —- my DW wants the cookie!

I booked AI, and upgraded both the drink package and wifi during a Black Friday sale that was really reasonable. I think the drink package upgrade was $7pp and the wifi was $4pp. 

T- 2 1/2 hours to UBER!

mac_tlc

This sounds like a great plan.  We had one or two days that would have been conducive to Rooftop Garden Grill, especially the last sea day (Victoria port day) as it was quite warm and the whale watching was excellent so you might see some from that location.

Just curious, any reason why you will stay onboard at Victoria? 

We have done tours there but would enjoy another look around near the hotel area..

Sounds like you have a great vacation planned..will enjoy your posts!

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Just curious, any reason why you will stay onboard at Victoria? 

We have done tours there but would enjoy another look around near the hotel area..

Sounds like you have a great vacation planned..will enjoy your posts!

We are only there a couple hours, and we have been there before. We went to Buchart Gardens which was phenomenal. I also want to hopefully find some less crowded time in the Solarium.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

And this is how you know I am onboard:

IMG_6750.jpeg

But first a little timeline of this morning. 

UBER pickup at hotel : 9:22am

Arrive at Pier 91: 10:19am

Through check in: 10:27am

Boarding Started: 10:50am

Onboard: 10:56am

At Cafe alBacio: 11:30

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

We are only there a couple hours, and we have been there before. We went to Buchart Gardens which was phenomenal. I also want to hopefully find some less crowded time in the Solarium.

mac_tlc

great idea.. yes we loved the gardens, wineries and chinatown but missed any  time near the hotel.. maybe next time!

Posted (edited)

Who says you need to be in the Retreat to get one of these?

IMG_6761.jpeg

It’s my favorite Bourbon and Peaches. Got this one at the Sunset Bar. At first the bartender wasn’t sure, but after a back room discussion there it is! @GenerationX understands 😂😂.

The Rooftop Garden is a great spot, but it is just Rooftop and no Garden.

IMG_6759.jpeg

All the plants have been removed —- not sure if it has been that way all Alaska season. They are painting the black frame pieces, but no plants to be found. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

IMG_6761.jpeg

It’s my favorite Bourbon and Peaches. Got this one at the Sunset Bar. At first the bartender wasn’t sure, but after a back room discussion there it is! @GenerationX understands 😂😂.

IMG_6759.jpeg

All the plants have been removed —- not sure if it has been that way all Alaska season. They are painting the black frame pieces, but no plants to be found. 

mac_tlc

When we were on a few weeks ago they were taking the plants out.  

Posted (edited)

I read that they had to cover the plants while in Australia.

I’m very curious about what they are going to do in that area since the Edge is heading back to Australia.

Edited by scrapcreator

11 minutes ago, scrapcreator said:

I read that they had to cover the plants while in Australia.

I’m very curious about what they are going to do in that area since the Edge is heading back to Australia.

dreaded pickle ball  courts,?

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, scrapcreator said:

I tried for years to have a nice rooftop style garden with lush plants but it turns out that deer like such things as well...learned that the hard way 🤦🏻‍♀️.  Perhaps Celebrity would like my source for realistic fake plants as the Edge journeys back to Australia.  Sure fooled the deer!!!  and now I have a lush garden year round. 😎

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hcat said:

dreaded pickle ball  courts,?

I know you will be looking forward to any pickleball tournament results, but as I took a quick stroll through the Rooftop Garden area, I don’t think the courts will fit. The seating and planter arrangement is different than Beyond/Ascent and there is a smaller central area. 

Of course, you will be the first to know if I am incorrect 😜😜😜😜.

And, your Celebrity Today for Day 1:

IMG_6763.jpeg

IMG_6764.jpeg

IMG_6765.jpeg

IMG_6766.jpeg

IMG_6767.jpeg

IMG_6768.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

IMG_6761.jpeg

IMG_6759.jpeg

mac_tlc

We were on a B2B including theTP from Sydney to Hawaii.  The plants were covered on the 1st leg  and when the ship left Australia they started uncovering them. They looked really bad, many looked to be beyond saving.

Since the ship will go back and forth Australia/ Alaska it wouldn’t make much sense to replace the plants only to cover them a few months later.