Galveston cruise terminal

Hi Everyone, we are looking at cruises on the Regal this winter out of Galveston. From some things I have read it sounds like it can be a pain to get from Houston airport to cruise terminal. Does anyone have any  input or experience with this? We would fly in the day prior to the cruise. Also looking for recommendations on hotel for the night. 

Neither airport is very close to the cruise port. When we sailed out of Galveston we used a Princess transfer to get from the ship to the airport.  Hobby is about 40 minutes away but Princess didn't offer shuttle service to that airport so we ended up taking a longer ride to George Bush Intercontinental.

We rented a car at Bush airport from Enterprise- dropped off Sat by noon in Galveston. Stayed at Harbor House hotel- they shuttled us to ship. Used Galveston Express from ship to Bush After cruise.

23 minutes ago, LucknowLaura said:

Hi Everyone, we are looking at cruises on the Regal this winter out of Galveston. From some things I have read it sounds like it can be a pain to get from Houston airport to cruise terminal. Does anyone have any  input or experience with this? We would fly in the day prior to the cruise. Also looking for recommendations on hotel for the night. 

I've sailed out of Galveston a few times on both Princess and Carnival. Yes, it's costly to get from either Houston airport to the terminal and yes, it's a good distance away.

Since your group will be coming into town the day before, I do not recommend going with the Princess shuttle. Those are designed for travelers that go straight from the airport to the terminal.

On the one occasion when I got in two days before (long story), I stayed at the La Quinta nearest the airport (IAH). It was a nice place, comfortable, not too many frills. 

Overnight stay options in Galveston are, I have found, limited and expensive. YMMV. It might be best to find a hotel for the night somewhere between Houston and Galveston, and then find a way the rest of the way the next morning.

Good luck, and enjoy your upcoming cruise on the Regal!

1 hour ago, LucknowLaura said:

Hello @LucknowLaura and welcome back to the Cruise Critic website and our message board! I see it has been quite a while since you have posted on the boards. 

Thank you for your new thread, however it was off topic where posted. To help you out, your new thread has been moved to the North American Homeports - Gulf Coast Departures forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that live in the area or have sailed from there frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles in this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you are posting again! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list of the various forums. I suggest you put the page link in your browser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there. 

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

LucknowLaura,

We stayed at the Tremont House in Galveston this March when we sailed out on the Regal this past March. We loved it, it is only a couple of blocks to the terminal (5 to 10 minute walk) there is plenty to see and do in the Strand district. Lots of shops and restaurants.

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Neither airport is very close to the cruise port. When we sailed out of Galveston we used a Princess transfer to get from the ship to the airport.  Hobby is about 40 minutes away but Princess didn't offer shuttle service to that airport so we ended up taking a longer ride to George Bush Intercontinental.

How much did Princess charge for the shuttle and did they have multiple times?

Our first time at Galveston is this coming April. So far we are planning to have Saltwater Moms to pick us up at Bush and take us to the Hilton (Galveston).  Then next morning have the shuttle service at the Hilton to take us to port ($15 per person). Once we return we will use RC shuttle to take us back to Bush.  I hope that helps. 

Loved the cruise but getting to & from the port was a nightmare.

The port itself was quite big. We had hired a private car for the return trip to the airport.

We had to call him twice because trying to get though the port took a VERY LONG TIME.

Thank goodness he waited.

I actually loved Galveston itself. Can't remember the name of the hotel but it was right next to an IHOP on one side & a grocery store on the other on Seawall Blvd. It was across from the ocean. Right across the street was the trolley stop. The trolley was free & took you around the whole island.

Lots of antiques stores    :O)

I would love to go there again but am to old for the journey....

If you've ever sailed from Port Canaveral it's about the same from Orlando to the port from Hobby.  Intercontinental is on the north side of Houston and about double the time/distance.  Although everything is measured in time instead of distance in Texas, and can vary greatly depending on traffic and road construction.  Weekends are usually lighter.  

• Like 2

On 8/15/2024 at 5:05 AM, NC State said:

Our first time at Galveston is this coming April. So far we are planning to have Saltwater Moms to pick us up at Bush and take us to the Hilton (Galveston).  Then next morning have the shuttle service at the Hilton to take us to port ($15 per person). Once we return we will use RC shuttle to take us back to Bush.  I hope that helps. 

This is exactly our plan, except we are cruising with Princess.

On 8/15/2024 at 8:48 AM, Shippy said:

Loved the cruise but getting to & from the port was a nightmare.

The port itself was quite big. We had hired a private car for the return trip to the airport.

We had to call him twice because trying to get though the port took a VERY LONG TIME.

Thank goodness he waited.

I actually loved Galveston itself. Can't remember the name of the hotel but it was right next to an IHOP on one side & a grocery store on the other on Seawall Blvd. It was across from the ocean. Right across the street was the trolley stop. The trolley was free & took you around the whole island.

Lots of antiques stores    :O)

I would love to go there again but am to old for the journey....

Please post the hotel you stayed in, sounds like a great location. 

4 hours ago, NC State said:

Good to know that's the one we are staying in. 

Actually the Convention Center is between grocery store and Hilton. Ihop is adjacent to San Luis on same property. Landry’s is in there also . 

3 minutes ago, ssb said:

Actually the Convention Center is between grocery store and Hilton. Ihop is adjacent to San Luis on same property. Landry’s is in there also . 

Correct but isn’t this the same grocery store for San Luis when PP said the grocery was on one side and IHOP on the other, or is there another one closer to San Luis?

I said the Hilton was “between”.

Posted (edited)

Location sequencing on Seawall Blvd facing Gulf of Mexico   

Krogers, Convention Center, Hilton, Landrys, Rainforest, IHop, San Luis, Holiday Inn 

Edited by ssb