Enchanted - Cleanliness Issues

bandp407

DH & I returned last week from our sailing on the Enchanted. This was our 42nd cruise ( 2nd with Princess) having sailed mainly on Celebrity, Royal & HAL. This was the very 1st time we actually had complaints with onboard cleanliness. The restrooms( both men & ladies) were simply put-  DIRTY! . The carpets on the stairs had the same ( primarily aft) dropped food on them all week. We never saw anyone vacuuming or wiping down the handrails. We ate breakfast and lunch primarily outdoors at the World Marketplace. The same food on the floors around the tables was there day after day. We picked up a few plates and cups in the clean stack, that were not clean. There were hardly any Purell stations anywhere or any encouragement to clean one’s hands. The most upsetting to us was the condition of the restrooms. Yes, we did visit guest services and share all of this with them. Also we included this detail in the survey. We sailed on the Enchanted in May and saw none of this. We are booked to sail her again next May and hopefully these will not be the conditions. If anyone experiences any of this hopefully you will report it. 

On the brighter side, our cabin attendant was great, the staff in Amalfi dining room took fabulous care of us and we thoroughly enjoyed the House Band Pinnacle!  

Unfortunately we arrived home Saturday afternoon and tested positive for Covid!! 🥲🥲

‘Happy and healthy sailing everyone! 

I would have reported it immediately and been on their case until improvements were made.  Sorry this was your experience. Take care.

• Like 4

That is sad to hear.  We’ve not experienced it on the Enchanted.

I would contacted the head of Housekeeping right away.  Or, the Hotel Director.  I know GS should have done something.  But, who do they report it to?  Let’s hope they correct it.

Sorry to hear you got covid!  Hope you recover quickly!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

That is sad to hear.  We’ve not experienced it on the Enchanted.

I would contacted the head of Housekeeping right away.  Or, the Hotel Director.  I know GS should have done something.  But, who do they report it to?  Let’s hope they correct it.

Sorry to hear you got covid!  Hope you recover quickly!

Yes, it is very sad. The ship is beautiful and this has somewhat soured us. The General Manager onboard is Richard Harry. I am going to try sending an email. 

thank you for your good wishes. As to Covid- the worst is over! 

• Like 1

We were on the Sky Princess and although didn't see the cleanliness issues you did we did notice two pieces of dropped popcorn on the center stairs that was there for several days.  We never saw anyone cleaning the stairs or railings.  Might be a staffing issue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dickinson said:

We were on the Sky Princess and although didn't see the cleanliness issues you did we did notice two pieces of dropped popcorn on the center stairs that was there for several days.  We never saw anyone cleaning the stairs or railings.  Might be a staffing issue.

In our case it could be staffing across several departments. 

• Like 1

This sounds like a staffing issue. I believe the Enchanted Princess has repositioned from the Caribbean to the northeast for New England / Canada sailings. There is sometimes a staff changeover when there is a major change in itineraries. It can take a few days for the new crew to get up to standards on their duties on a new ship. There also could’ve been a Covid outbreak among some of the crew since there have been reports of high levels of Covid across the country recently.

3 hours ago, bandp407 said:

I just sent an email off to Collin Steinke, Director, Customer Relations. 

Good luck with that. I have not received a response to the email I sent him two months ago.

We are currently on Enchanted repo cruise, have not witnessed anything standing out as simply dirty or not cleaned but do agree, very hard to find hand sanitizing stations and was very surprised about lack of hand washing encouragement.

• Like 1

Just off the Caribbean P.  Crew were wiping railings all the time.  Cleaners were in the (women's) bathroom most of the times I visited the public ones (not often).

Someone stationed at the wash basins in the buffet.  Purell stations every where.  What was interesting is that there were barf bags out on several sea days but no trash cans to dispose of bags.

I did not test positive for covid, although on these longer voyages, the hackers started up around day 10.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Just off the Caribbean P.  Crew were wiping railings all the time.  Cleaners were in the (women's) bathroom most of the times I visited the public ones (not often).

Someone stationed at the wash basins in the buffet.  Purell stations every where.  What was interesting is that there were barf bags out on several sea days but no trash cans to dispose of bags.

I did not test positive for covid, although on these longer voyages, the hackers started up around day 10.

But maybe you missed that piece of popcorn in the corner on the rear staircase under the overhang on deck 4 on the way to the Medical center?

29 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Good luck with that. I have not received a response to the email I sent him two months ago.

Between contacting their customer service team overseas  and what you are saying is not good.

Their competitors are reachable & responsive.

51 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

This sounds like a staffing issue. I believe the Enchanted Princess has repositioned from the Caribbean to the northeast for New England / Canada sailings. There is sometimes a staff changeover when there is a major change in itineraries. It can take a few days for the new crew to get up to standards on their duties on a new ship. There also could’ve been a Covid outbreak among some of the crew since there have been reports of high levels of Covid across the country recently.

51 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Ours was the last Caribbean 7 night. They are on a 14 night repositioning to NY. Perhaps you are correct. However staff that we spoke with were staying on . 

47 minutes ago, loupana said:

We are currently on Enchanted repo cruise, have not witnessed anything standing out as simply dirty or not cleaned but do agree, very hard to find hand sanitizing stations and was very surprised about lack of hand washing encouragement.

Glad to hear you have not witnessed what we did. Hopefully our comments reached the right people! 

Enjoy your next 7 nights! 

43 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Now this sounds like it should be!!! Hope Enchanted gets their act together! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dickinson said:

I would have picked them up. 

• Like 4

Well unfortunately you chose the busiest time of the year for family vacations & had to experience some if the nastiest things it brings. We've sailed on the Enchanted many times (not summer season) & haven't seen most of the items you mentioned. It only takes a few minutes to dirty up a bathroom from people who don't care what mess they leave behind.

Next time try sailing in late Sept through early Dec or mid Jan to mid May and you'll notice a big difference.

• Like 2

As much as I love the Enchanted (been on her 3 times this year, and one more in October), I have to agree about the public area cleanliness issue.

Just last month, in the middle of the Caribbean season (read: not a repositioning issue), we noticed the same chunk of breakfast pound cake on the stairs for 3 days. 

Also, the bar area floor at the Retreat pool was constantly dirty with random straws, etc. that didn't get picked up the next day or the day after that.  I did mention it to the Bon, the bartender, and he raised it to his manager to alert whomever is tasked with outdoor cleaning.

After tripping on a small item on stairs and doing a full somersault down, I try to bend over and pick up stuff  like those mentioned.

Shame that Princess ships are so understaffed and will be more understaff with increased capacity and premier package people’s expectations. 

I have a second booking on the Enchanted and hope things improve.

I will be at GS right away to make them aware of issues, and not wait until I disembark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dog said:

After tripping on a small item on stairs and doing a full somersault down, I try to bend over and pick up stuff  like those mentioned.

Shame that Princess ships are so understaffed and will be more understaff with increased capacity and premier package people’s expectations. 

I have a second booking on the Enchanted and hope things improve.

I will be at GS right away to make them aware of issues, and not wait until I disembark.

We were on the Enchanted for 11 days in March 2024 (Caribbean) and didn't see any of these issues. We commented that there was a staff member always cleaning or picking up after passengers. Even in the Vista lounge during the CC HH. Really no different from any past cruises. 

• Like 3

We sailed her mid-June.  While I did not notice the more egregious examples cited by the OP, it did appear there was a shortage of crew which would explain the shortcomings.  About the worst I saw was a server using a dirty napkin to smear food all over a cocktail table instead of wiping it down with a sanitized cloth. When he brought our drinks, we moved to another table nearby. Which probably wasn’t any cleaner but the evidence was less obvious.

Fully staffed ships aren’t necessarily clean.  But short staffed ships are definitely not clean.

• Thanks 1