Experience with "Late Riser Taormina" Excursion

PATRLR

Posted (edited)

We're trying to figure out what to do in Messina next June.  The Princess excursion "Late Riser Taormina" I believe has mistakes in the description, or, maybe I just don't understand something about this area.  The excursion is described here: Princess Cruises - Excursion - Late Riser Taormina

Anyone here on CC have experience with this specific Princess excursion? 

Looking at the Excursion Details, a summary seems to be:

1. Travel by coach to Taormina - 1 hour
  2. Walk from parking lot to Palazzo Corvaja - 30 minutes

3. Proceed to Greco Roman Theatre - 45 minutes

4. Free time at Greco Roman Theatre - 2.5 hours

5. Travel by coach back to ship - 1 hour

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but isn't the Greco roman Theatre only about 10 minutes from Palazzo Corvaja?   If so, I suspect Item 3 in my list is the walk to Grec Roman Theatre and spending time there.

Is there any way one would want/need to spend 2.5 hours of free time at the Greco Roman Theatre?  I assume the free time is intended for anywhere in or around Taormina.  I think this excursion appeals to us if it's more like:

1. Travel by coach to Taormina - 1 hour
  2. Walk from parking lot to Palazzo Corvaja - 30 minutes

3. Greco Roman Theatre - 45 minutes

4. Free time Taormina - 2.5 hours

5. Travel by coach back to ship - 1 hour

Appreciate feedback, especially from anyone who's done this specific Princess excursion.

Edited by PATRLR

FWIW, we have been to Taormina many times.  For us, the best way to get there from Messina is to hire a taxi just outside the cruise terminal.  The taxi will wait for you just outside the town gates.

This way you see what you want on your own time schedule.  To reduce the cost of the taxi, you can always share with another couple.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

1. ...........................

Is there any way one would want/need to spend 2.5 hours of free time at the Greco Roman Theatre?  I assume the free time is intended for anywhere in or around Taormina. 

Agree - would not be least interested in that much time there.  I don't see why you could just leave and walk back towards town as long as you know where to meet the bus.

That said, I would follow the advice in Post #2 as we don't do PCL excursions except in very rare circumstances.  @LACruiser88 is very experienced at self-touring.

We did a private tour in Messina for the say and saw much more, but not really a focus on the theater at all.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

I probably should have mentioned that we're travelling with a small group some of who are adamant about NOT doing anything but Princess excursions (a couple stories in the press of people being left behind will do that).  When we travel on our own, 9 times out of 10 we are booking on our own.  So I get it.   

But in this case I'm just trying to figure out what this excursion is likely to REALLY be like (vs what they describe in the description details).

• Like 2

Have you tried calling PCL and using the phone tree to get shore excursions desk?  IDK if they are trained to answer the details of an excursion, but try.

First, I would call my TA/CVP, if you

have one.  They should be able to get an answer for you.

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Have you tried calling PCL and using the phone tree to get shore excursions desk?  IDK if they are trained to answer the details of an excursion, but try.

I'd be surprised if a guest can get detailed excursion info from HQ or the call center.  

• Like 1

Just now, Steelers36 said:

I'd be surprised if a guest can get detailed excursion info from HQ or the call center.  

I called on one that was not written clearly and the excursion desk, sent a message to the tour operator in Rome to clarify.  I did get an answer, 2 weeks later.  😮

It really depends if they are trained properly. I would call during the week, not a weekend.

IDK about the excursion desk these days. Worth a shot or call the TA/CVP. 
🙄

16 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

13 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I agree, I wouldn't expect to get much better detail - I can almost hear them reading back to me the same content I can see on the web site.  As for the TA, I guess I assumed they would get the same result as I would from the excursions desk so hadn't really considered asking them.

16 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I called on one that was not written clearly and the excursion desk, sent a message to the tour operator in Rome to clarify.  I did get an answer, 2 weeks later.  😮

It really depends if they are trained properly. I would call during the week, not a weekend.

IDK about the excursion desk these days. Worth a shot or call the TA/CVP. 
🙄

That's some nice service.

We did the excursion to Taormina twice, both times from Catania.  First year on HAL we did the tour.  The bus lets you out in a parking garage and your guide takes you through the town to the amphitheater and the rest of the time you browse the village and shop for souvenirs, maybe have a snack.  Second time was on Celebrity and we just did the transfer to Taormina and tour on your own.  Both times you have the time to rejoin the bus.  EM

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

maybe have a snack

Must have a yummy Sicilian cannoli. 😋

I’ve been to Taormina a few times while on cruises doing independent tours and once spending 2 nights there during a Perillo tour…that was so much more enjoyable than with the hordes of cruise ship passengers in town.

• Like 1

We did a Princess excursion (which we hardly ever do) to Taormina in Sept. of 2022. I checked my journal, and although I didn't specifically say it was the "Late Riser" one, I think it was because we left on the bus at 1:15 and arrived in Taormina at about 2:30.(We had arrived in port about 11:15 or so.) The driver let us off at the bottom of a parking garage and we took an elevator up to the 7th floor where the main street was. We walked through the narrow streets to the ruins of the Greek theater. The guide took us around part of it, then gave us free time and said to meet at 5:45. We had plenty of time to look around the theater, then return to where the shops were and look around there. (We even had time to have some delicious cannoli!) We were late leaving (6:05) due to some tardy people. We got back to Messina about 6:55 and to the port at 7.

There were some beautiful views looking down to the coast and villages below Taormina, and the main street was very picturesque--iron balconies and flowers on all the old stone buildings. We enjoyed the day very much.

• Like 2

I suspect the tour is really like the one you are wishing for.   Once you've reached the Greek Theatre (and heard the guide's spiel), the rest of the time is yours alone.  No need to stay with the group.  Just be sure to be back at the bus on time.  We have done Taormina twice, each time with provided transportation, and free time on our own.  

• Like 1

I haven't done a Princess excursion, but think your take on the Taormina tour sounds about right.  While walking you will pass a fantastic bakery- this is the same bakery that Anthony Bourdain scoffed at when he was told they make the best Cannolis in the world, until he tasted one and had to agree!  They also make some of the best Torrone I've ever had (orange was my favorite). Past the bakery in the big square area you can find a place that sells some wonderful arrincini!

On 8/19/2024 at 10:58 AM, konatyme said:

We did a Princess excursion (which we hardly ever do) to Taormina in Sept. of 2022. I checked my journal, and although I didn't specifically say it was the "Late Riser" one, I think it was because we left on the bus at 1:15 and arrived in Taormina at about 2:30.(We had arrived in port about 11:15 or so.) The driver let us off at the bottom of a parking garage and we took an elevator up to the 7th floor where the main street was. We walked through the narrow streets to the ruins of the Greek theater. The guide took us around part of it, then gave us free time and said to meet at 5:45. We had plenty of time to look around the theater, then return to where the shops were and look around there. (We even had time to have some delicious cannoli!) We were late leaving (6:05) due to some tardy people. We got back to Messina about 6:55 and to the port at 7.

There were some beautiful views looking down to the coast and villages below Taormina, and the main street was very picturesque--iron balconies and flowers on all the old stone buildings. We enjoyed the day very much.

We also did this tour & had a similar experience - it was a great day.

I wanted a tour that offered the most total time in Taormina; the "On Your Own" version was shorter.      Everything went smoothly; we had a short visit to the amphitheater, then plenty of time to walk back down through town on our own; our stop was for a lovely pizza.      It was really fun later to see that season's "The White Lotus" as it was filmed in Taormina 🙂

Mary

The earlier you get to Taormina, the smaller the crowd. It just gets busier and busier after that.

I usually skip the theater not wanting to pay for admission. There could be a long line for tickets if not included.

Earlier this year I tried the app, GPSMyCity and Taormina is one of the cities include. Some of the app is free, but if you want the navigation part it costs extra. It did seem to work fine, but I already knew where most of the locations were.

1 hour ago, Roatanfans said:

I haven't done a Princess excursion, but think your take on the Taormina tour sounds about right.  While walking you will pass a fantastic bakery- this is the same bakery that Anthony Bourdain scoffed at when he was told they make the best Cannolis in the world, until he tasted one and had to agree!  They also make some of the best Torrone I've ever had (orange was my favorite). Past the bakery in the big square area you can find a place that sells some wonderful arrincini!

😋