Additional individual tips when on cabin with a butler.

Good morning.

I was told that those who work in cabins serviced by a butler are not part of the general tip pool and that as such individual tips are suggested for them, i.e. the cabin attendant, butler, etc. 

I find this surprising that one would pay the daily gratuity and have to tip on top of that.

We booked the Viva for next April and are thinking of upgrading or cabin but I'd like to know first what is expected as far as tips are concerned.

Thank you.

The cabin attendant is part of the tip pool, but the butler is not as not every cruiser utilizes the butler. I think the tip would be dependent on what your butler does for you. When I booked a suite with a butler, all our butler did for us was deliver our extra birthday desserts to our cabin from Cagneys and replenish the coffee. Yes, we could have asked for more, but didn't.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jacketwatch said:

Good morning.

I was told that those who work in cabins serviced by a butler are not part of the general tip pool and that as such individual tips are suggested for them, i.e. the cabin attendant, butler, etc. 

I find this surprising that one would pay the daily gratuity and have to tip on top of that.

We booked the Viva for next April and are thinking of upgrading or cabin but I'd like to know first what is expected as far as tips are concerned.

Thank you.

We normally tip our butler $10-$15 per person in cabin per days of cruise. And the Concierge $5-$10 pp/pd. We also give our room steward extra on top of the buck a day they earn from the tip pool $5-$10 pp/pd. 

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-about-gratuities

What about gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.
  • Like 1

The people not included in the tip pool are butlers, concierge staff and children's counselors.  Don't feel pressured by people who love to tell you how much they tip.  Tipping is obviously a personal choice, and just because someone says it on the internet doesn't make it true.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We normally tip our butler $10-$15 per person in cabin per days of cruise. And the Concierge $5-$10 pp/pd. We also give our room steward extra on top of the buck a day they earn from the tip pool $5-$10 pp/pd. 

The room stewards only get a buck a day? 😔

6 hours ago, gizfish said:

The people not included in the tip pool are butlers, concierge staff and children's counselors.  Don't feel pressured by people who love to tell you how much they tip.  Tipping is obviously a personal choice, and just because someone says it on the internet doesn't make it true.

Tipping the butler per day makes absolutely no sense to me, as it is in no way related to the services rendered.

We tipped per service, as it occurred so butler would be available for future requests.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-about-gratuities

What about gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

On a 12 day cruise,  if you add up the $25 per day,  p/p,   DSC, that comes to $600,  then add up an average of $10 per day,  p/p, extra tips,  that comes to $720.   Total, $1320 for tips??  We always tip extra to everyone,  butler, concierge, steward,  wait staff,  bartenders,  etc.  But $1320 extra for tips, I think not.   That's ridiculous.  And to make it sound like that should be the norm,  is scaring people off from trying the Haven.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Beach Life 1 said:

On a 12 day cruise,  if you add up the $25 per day,  p/p,   DSC, that comes to $600,  then add up an average of $10 per day,  p/p, extra tips,  that comes to $720.   Total, $1320 for tips??  We always tip extra to everyone,  butler, concierge, steward,  wait staff,  bartenders,  etc.  But $1320 extra for tips, I think not.   That's ridiculous.  And to make it sound like that should be the norm,  is scaring people off from trying the Haven.

It's like being in a land based hotel where you leave a tip daily for your housekeeper. You should not give a housekeeper less if you're there 2 weeks versus just an overnight stay.

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

It's like being in a land based hotel where you leave a tip daily for your housekeeper. You should not give a housekeeper less if you're there 2 weeks versus just an overnight stay.

Housekeeper is in no way analogous to a butler. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jacketwatch said:

Good morning.

Thank you.

First off there is no daily tip pool.  You are most likely (as do many) confusing the DSC with tips.  Both are fully covered in the FAQ on the NCL site.  Basically while tips are not at all required, they are encouraged for any direct personal service.  Having said that, there is no usual, suggested, customary, or expectd amount.  The ONLY rule about tipping is to tip anyone you want, any time you want, in any amount.  No one will turn down your tip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Sorry, I disagree.   To pay out to the butler, conceirge, and steward, an average of $10-$15 each, a day, p/p, above the DSC,  even if it's for one day, is not the norm.  Add in, if there is more then two people in the cabin, then it really starts to get  crazy.   If you ask for special treatment (as I saw you stated in your original answer, before you edited it out, and that was a big ask),  that's different.  Like I said,  we always tip extra, but to say it should be a certain amount per day,  in my opinion is not how tips should be thought of.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Every cruise we have ever been on charges so much money per person per day for cabin. This goes to a gratuity or tip pool. This is always the case.  

Just asked the crew about this. They will tell you the same thing.

That being said, I always tip extra to the waiter, the assistant waiter, the dining room, concierge, and the cabin attendant their service is usually above. 

5 minutes ago, jacketwatch said:

Every cruise we have ever been on charges so much money per person per day for cabin. This goes to a gratuity or tip pool. This is always the case.  

That being said, I always tip extra to the waiter, the assistant waiter, the dining room, concierge, and the cabin attendant their service is usually above. 

But the butlers and concierge are not a part of that pool.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

But the butlers and concierge are not a part of that pool.

Exactly. And guests very greatly in how much or how little they avail themselves of the services of a butler and concierge. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacketwatch said:

The crew on NCL never sees that as part of their salary. It partially funds their salary, but does not go directly to the crew. It also funds crew parties and other crew activities. Just ask the crew, they will tell you how it works. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2024 at 10:48 AM, jacketwatch said:

If you are asking about a butler, you are likely booked in the Haven.  As you probably read by now, the butlers and the concierge in the Haven are not part of the NCL gratuity pool and tipping them brings about a lot of different opinions on how, how much and even whether. 

If you’d like to really dive in, this thread will offer for you more than enough information about the Haven and you’ll also find quite a bit of tipping experience from other Haven guests. 

Cheers!

Edited by McGarrett5oh
Typo
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2024 at 9:37 AM, BirdTravels said:

Does anyone actually tip a housekeeper at hotels anymore? Seriously...I'd love to see the percentage on that. Oh! There's a study. 23%.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/etiquette-expert-the-no-1-place-americans-forget-to-tip-but-should.html

Count me among the 77% that don't tip housekeeping on land.

As for sailing - NCL is clear that tips (except for butlers/concierge/youth staff) are not necessary. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Does anyone actually tip a housekeeper at hotels anymore? Seriously...I'd love to see the percentage on that. Oh! There's a study. 23%.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/etiquette-expert-the-no-1-place-americans-forget-to-tip-but-should.html

As for sailing - NCL is clear that tips (except for butlers/concierge/youth staff) are not necessary. 

I do tip housekeepers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

We absolutely do. Housekeeping jobs suck, I happily tip, grateful for all the crazy jobs that I had cleaning rooms wasn’t one of them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Just because people are "cheap" and don't mind stiffing their housekeepers does not mean that they shouldn't tip. For the record, I travel 2-3 times a month and tip my housekeepers. 

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2024 at 11:20 AM, jacketwatch said:

The "money" is not a gratuity. It is part of their salary and pays for enrichment activities. 

Kind of like being at home the good 'ole USA. Around our parts, minimum wage is $12.00/hour. If you are in a position that receives tips (like a waiter), your employer can pay you as little as $2.13/hour assuming that the first $9.87/hour in tips goes to getting you to minimum wage. Now, there may be a lot of people like the 77% group who stiff hard working people, so just getting to minimum wage may be hard. There are a lot in the diner that I frequent that will tie up a table for hours sucking endless cups of coffee and leave lose change as a tip.

The cabin steward has a minimum contract wage. They are paid part of that by the cruise line and part of that comes from the DSC. And your DSC covers all of the room stewards, all of the complimentary restaurant workers (waiters, busboys, dishwashers, cooks), forward facing and back of the house cruise staff. 

And the DSC pays for crew enrichment activities like crew parties, Wings and Brew nights and raffles. 

image.png.462fb48d8ea58be7fd2cabe1db15043d.png

image.thumb.png.7d8275e2eb34a832cdaf013ad44fc12b.png

• Haha 1