Having laundry done on cruise?

JWMid1

I'll be on a 10 day cruise later this year and I'm curious how the experience is with having laundry done? Not having laundry done means I'll need to pack way more clothes than I'd prefer to (or that I even own at the moment)

My concern with having laundry done on the cruise is that the clothes may be run on a heat drying cycle which would cause them to shrink. It may be a little unusual, but I air dry my clothes at home.

Does anyone have any experience using the laundry services while on a Princess cruise? Should I buy/pack more clothes or go with a little less and use the laundry services?

11 minutes ago, FlutePrayer said:

Princess does have Laundromats where you can wash and iron your own clothes. That might be helpful.

I wasn't aware of this. I'll take a look. Thank you!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure any laundry you send out will be on a heat/dry cycle.  For sure they won't be hung out to air dry.  😀

In my experience, once clothes have bee through a few wash/air dry cycles, they won't be subject to much shrinking from the dryer.  I won't give a money back guarantee, but this is what I experience.   

• Like 1

You can do your own. Self service laundries on each deck. $3 wash, $3dry. You can also purchase detergent & dryer sheets or bring your own. Regarding sending it out. 

I send my laundry out all the time. It's an elite loyalty benefit. I never had damage. I will mention it's expensive. Cost is according to the item. A bag full of regular items might be $40/$50.

• Like 1

Hopefully someone will post a laundry rate sheet, as I recall seeing other kind people here on CC doing that before.  I do recall it's rather pricey to do.

• Like 1

The laundry facilities on each deck give you control over heat, delicates, etc. We pack a folding laundry basket that fits well in closet, pods, dryer sheets and do anything that needs special attention ourselves. We do send DH underwear, socks, pj's etc to ship laundry to use Elite perk.

There is a line in bathroom to hang things to dry.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eqj60 said:

There is a line in bathroom to hang things to dry.

We bring magnetic hooks to dry items in the cabin.  Things don't seem to dry very well in the bathroom.  🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20231005_065508_Firefox.thumb.jpg.243cf78f4b403d088a97e3fb3d09f0ad.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Nope.  Ain't happening.  I'm not washing clothes and hanging them all over the cabinet to dry.  

Of course that does not mean anyone wanting or needing to do this shouldn't go for it.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

This is from late last year, prices might have gone up???

20230401_073929.thumb.jpg.83957b5483d7e396120dc695152a3962.jpg

Yikes!  Well, this price list is pretty much a "we don't want to wash your laundry for you" pricing approach!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Yikes!  Well, this price list is pretty much a "we don't want to wash your laundry for you" pricing approach!

Good thing they have laundry facilities to do your own!

I prefer to do my own laundry. The self service laundry rooms on each deck are $3 each for washers and dryers. They also sell detergent and dryer sheets. I only send items like socks, underwear, and dress shirts out to avoid having everything put in a commercial dryer

43 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Laundry is very pricey, but dry cleaning is a bargain compared to my local cleaner

I do my own for anything that requires special care. Like others, I'll send underwear,  socks, shirts, pants, etc. I bring my own pods for the wash and dryer sheets for the dryer. And if you do get the free laundry as a benifit, some ships will give you tokens for the laundry at Guest Services. Or so I've heard.

• Like 1

The Elite perk is great for free laundry, but I have yet to use it. Like others I like to have the control to do it right, or at least the way I like it. Guess what, if you are Elite, you get free tokens at Guest Services. So, still free. I love it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, judithzuz said:

The Elite perk is great for free laundry, but I have yet to use it. Like others I like to have the control to do it right, or at least the way I like it. Guess what, if you are Elite, you get free tokens at Guest Services. So, still free. I love it.

I really don’t feel like going 6 decks down and to midship from my aft suite and laundry room just to save $3. I bring my own soap sheets and just pay for drying. We only do a few things once a week so $6 over a 14 day cruise. Most things like underwear, socks T shirts and jeans get sent out to ship laundry. Yes being Elite/Suite guests is great

We are Elite and send out laundry every morning. Nightgown, socks, T-shirts, polo shirts, underwear. We’ve had chinos dry cleaned great. Just don’t send any Chico pants that are stretchy material as they come back misshapen. Otherwise they do a great job

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We are Elite and send out laundry every morning. Nightgown, socks, T-shirts, polo shirts, underwear. We’ve had chinos dry cleaned great. Just don’t send any Chico pants that are stretchy material as they come back misshapen. Otherwise they do a great job

That is good to know about Chico brand pants. Those pants are great for traveling. I’ll wash them in the laundry room and hang them dry in my cabin near the balcony/window.

39 minutes ago, memoak said:

I really don’t feel like going 6 decks down and to midship from my aft suite and laundry room just to save $3. I bring my own soap sheets and just pay for drying. We only do a few things once a week so $6 over a 14 day cruise. Most things like underwear, socks T shirts and jeans get sent out to ship laundry. Yes being Elite/Suite guests is great

I get that. I just pick up my tokens when I'm in the area.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, judithzuz said:

My wife  has been denied free laundry tokens the two times she asked about them. Two different ships.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I will not take up my cruise time doing laundry, and as such I bring enough clothes, etc., for everyday without repeating.  I do have the Elite laundry benefit, and I did send a pair of white shorts to laundry as some gravy spilled off my tray, when walking back to my table, and they came back promptly and immaculate with no shrinkage.

But I should also mention that I do not do longer cruises anymore, so for many I know that is a factor with luggage weight limits, etc.

Edited by 1emerald1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

My wife  has been denied free laundry tokens the two times she asked about them. Two different ships.

And I have yet to see any written proof of free laundry tokens for elites. If you send  it out yes it is free. As I said we usually spend $6 a cruise for dryers whibh is less than the price of a beer

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Strange, I haven't had that problem. But you may be right, different ships.