Pride of America cancelled for May

Mitina

21 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

How much or the retail price of an item in a HI store is comprised of the cost of the raw materials?  Labor?  Overhead?  Profit in a very limited market?  How many bags did that store in Orange County sell monthly vs. that store in Hawaii?  Pricing is certainly NOT based upon what "the economy" will tolerate.  Was there only one store in Hawaii selling sugar?  That would be weird.

ChiefMate, I live in Hawaii more than half time. (Remember during the pandemic, I was posting photos of the poor POA tied to the dock, then floating off Magic Island after they changed the cruise terminal into a COVID center). I am well aware of the the economy and the drivers of that economy in Hawaii. Lots of people think that they are experts after watching John Oliver and I can tell you that the show had to hunt long and hard for worst case scenarios to bolster their sensationalize story. 

On 8/21/2024 at 10:01 PM, Panhandle Couple said:

At worst, the OP can use their airline tickets, use the $$ saved from not cruising, and doing a land vaca instead. 

I did that when my Lisbon roundtrip got cancelled. I usually book flights very early for good prices but I try to book tickets that can be time changed but not necesarily refunded. This time it led to a wonderful time in Lisbon. REALLY wonderful!

There may come a day when I sit with an airline ticket I can't use, but with all the cheap ones I have bought I can eat that loss. (Actually I just remembered have one next year I won't use because a cruise got cancelled but it was less than $80 and the 10% FCC I got, used on an upcoming expensive cruise more than paid for that.)

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 11:55 AM, Seas2mountains said:

We are on the POA in 30 days.

Totally missing the point of the thread…but we are on the same sailing! We originally booked before COVID for a sailing that was canceled due to COVID. After COVID we rebooked for our 10th wedding anniversary this September. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 2:55 PM, Seas2mountains said:

They are likely to choose a month where they are least impacted from a profitability perspective. 

Not really.  Dry dock scheduling is set by the classification societies (in this case DNV) on set schedules (i.e. class sets a 2 month window every 2.5 years for a dry dock), and setting the time within that window is determined by dock availability, as dry docks are in constant demand, as this docking was set 9 months in advance.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not really.  Dry dock scheduling is set by the classification societies (in this case DNV) on set schedules (i.e. class sets a 2 month window every 2.5 years for a dry dock), and setting the time within that window is determined by dock availability, as dry docks are in constant demand, as this docking was set 9 months in advance.

Thank you for sharing your industry expertise on the dry dock date selection. 

When observing the dates for dry docks, I noticed that the scheduled ones seemed to occur more frequently in the January- early March, mid-April to May and September- early December time periods.  I found a few summer dry docks but those seemed to occur less frequently than the ones during the non-peak cruise dates. Any insights into why the cruise lines avoid the peak travel periods?

Here is why the internet thinks summer and December dry docks are not typically selected. 

Cruise lines typically avoid scheduling dry docks (maintenance periods where ships are taken out of service for repairs and updates) during the summer and December for the following reasons:

1.    Peak Travel Season: Summer and December are peak travel periods. Many people go on vacation during the summer due to school holidays, and December is popular for holiday travel. Cruise lines generate significant revenue during these times, so they prefer to keep their ships in operation rather than out of service.
    2.    High Demand: During these peak seasons, demand for cruises is at its highest. Dry docking a ship during these times would mean losing out on potential bookings and revenue. Cruise lines aim to maximize the availability of their fleet when demand is strong.
    3.    Weather Considerations: In some regions, weather conditions are more favorable during the summer and winter holiday season, making it an ideal time for cruising. Dry docking typically occurs during less favorable weather periods when demand is lower.
    4.    Operational Planning: Cruise lines often schedule dry docks during shoulder seasons (spring and fall) when demand is lower, allowing them to carry out necessary maintenance without significantly impacting their revenue or customer satisfaction.

On 8/21/2024 at 7:51 PM, ronrythm said:

If you can get a space in the parking lot! I thought California Costcos were busy. Oahu, wow!

The best time to go Costco is before noon on a Wednesday. IMO

49 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

Here is why the internet thinks summer and December dry docks are not typically selected. 

The dry dock "clock" starts when the ship is delivered from the newbuild shipyard.  At that point, the 5 year clock starts.  That 5 year clock remains the same for the remainder of the ship's life.  All ship's certifications, surveys, and documents are renewed every 5 years.  So, while class may allow a dry dock a month earlier than 5 years from delivery, it will not allow any deviation later (i.e. if the renewal date is March, they will allow a dry dock in February, but not any later than March).  And, when the ship reaches 15 years old, the "mid-period" dry docking (ships are required to dry dock "twice in 5 years"), which up until then has been substituted with an underwater survey, is no longer allowed, so the ship has to dry dock every approximately 2.5 years.  The allowable window for this "mid-period" dry docking has more flexibility, in that it can be anywhere from 27 months to 32 months since the last dry docking (so a 6 month span), and a cruise line could try to schedule according to peak periods for this inspection, but again the second factor comes into play:  when is a dry dock available.  Remember that every ship in the world follows the same dry dock calendar, and cruise ships only account for about 5% of world shipping.  So, the cruise ships need to contend with all the cargo ships taking dry dock slots when trying to schedule a dry dock.  Cargo ships don't have "peak seasons", so they will take any slot that fits their statutory calendar, and will typically book those slots two or more years in advance.  So, the cruise line has to say, "here's our statutory window of time, what shipyard is in our operating part of the world, that has a slot available?" and take that slot, regardless of market concerns.

So, unless the cruise lines arrange with the newbuilding shipyard for a specific delivery date that would fall in those "shoulder" months (and given the full order books at those newbuild yards, that isn't likely), the cruise line's choice of dry docking months is set when the contract to build the ship is signed, and doesn't change until the ship is scrapped.

• Like 2

So, for the POA, it was delivered in June, 2005.  Therefore her renewal dry docks will be: (past) June, 2010, June 2015, and June, 2020 (or a month earlier).  So, the next renewal dry dock is May - June 2025.  The only variable is whether or not they suspended the ship's certificates during Covid.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The dry dock "clock" starts when the ship is delivered from the newbuild shipyard.  At that point, the 5 year clock starts.  That 5 year clock remains the same for the remainder of the ship's life.  All ship's certifications, surveys, and documents are renewed every 5 years.  So, while class may allow a dry dock a month earlier than 5 years from delivery, it will not allow any deviation later (i.e. if the renewal date is March, they will allow a dry dock in February, but not any later than March).  And, when the ship reaches 15 years old, the "mid-period" dry docking (ships are required to dry dock "twice in 5 years"), which up until then has been substituted with an underwater survey, is no longer allowed, so the ship has to dry dock every approximately 2.5 years.  The allowable window for this "mid-period" dry docking has more flexibility, in that it can be anywhere from 27 months to 32 months since the last dry docking (so a 6 month span), and a cruise line could try to schedule according to peak periods for this inspection, but again the second factor comes into play:  when is a dry dock available.  Remember that every ship in the world follows the same dry dock calendar, and cruise ships only account for about 5% of world shipping.  So, the cruise ships need to contend with all the cargo ships taking dry dock slots when trying to schedule a dry dock.  Cargo ships don't have "peak seasons", so they will take any slot that fits their statutory calendar, and will typically book those slots two or more years in advance.  So, the cruise line has to say, "here's our statutory window of time, what shipyard is in our operating part of the world, that has a slot available?" and take that slot, regardless of market concerns.

So, unless the cruise lines arrange with the newbuilding shipyard for a specific delivery date that would fall in those "shoulder" months (and given the full order books at those newbuild yards, that isn't likely), the cruise line's choice of dry docking months is set when the contract to build the ship is signed, and doesn't change until the ship is scrapped.

And yet, practically all cruise lines and all cruise ships still have managed to avoid summer season and holiday season for the last 20 years. Incredible how they did that.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

And yet, practically all cruise lines and all cruise ships still have managed to avoid summer season and holiday season for the last 20 years. Incredible how they did that.

Exactly!

They are going to find the dates within the dry dock window that least impactful for revenue. For POA, the month of May seems to be a low travel month compared to other month in the window.

Edited by Seas2mountains

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2024 at 8:36 AM, Mitina said:

Just received word that sailings from May 3, through and including May 24, 2025, have been cancelled.  Just booked this itinerary last month and NCL drops this on us.   Supposedly for ‘routine maintenance’ during a peak sailing month?  We have air and private excursions booked and NCL is unapologetic, unless you consider a discount voucher worthwhile.  They had to have known about this last month.

We would have been first time NCL cruising and had booked a suite, but considering the difficulty in booking, pricey excursions, and nickel and diming 

add-ons, we won’t consider them again.  I know NCL has its fans, but we’ll stick with a more transparent cruise line like our usual Viking sailings.

Consider it your good fortune that you're not going on Pride of America.  It's a dumpy, old ship.  You have to pay really exorbitant gratuities because this is a U.S.-based crew.  And because the workers are American, they're very lazy and service is really bad.  

• Haha 1

And why do I have to pay gratuities, anyway?  The Pride of America charges an additional $8.55 per person per day on top of the $20 per day per person, which is the sales tax for Hawaii (4.275%).  Of course, with NCL, the tips are "discretionary".  I always have them removed once I'm on board so I can choose to tip as I please.  This is for all cruise lines.

57 minutes ago, kaysha2004 said:

Consider it your good fortune that you're not going on Pride of America.  It's a dumpy, old ship.  You have to pay really exorbitant gratuities because this is a U.S.-based crew.  And because the workers are American, they're very lazy and service is really bad.  

We sailed POA earlier this year and this is not true. It is older, and a unique design that wouldn't be duplicated today.  It was showing a little more rust than other NCL ships, hence the drydock next year.  As with anything 20 years old, it doesn't have all the new bells and whistles.  The decorations are also very nice and unique.  Wood and Americana.

We did not pay any more gratuities than we did on any other cruise.

Overall the staff was similar to other cruises (note that 30% or so are not US citizens).  We did run into 2 less than enthusiastic bartenders, but also found 2 excellent ones.  Many staff are US college aged people entering the hospitality industry, and learning things from the service side vs sitting in a classroom. 

How do I know this?

We TALK to people, bartenders, servers, and other staff.    

1 hour ago, kaysha2004 said:

We sailed in February, and I have the opposite feeling about this ship and cruise.  You are paying for a floating hotel.  If you want all the bells and whistles, this is not the ship for you.  You don't need big and fancy for this itinerary because it is jam packed with ports every day and no sea days. We were off the ship exploring every day!

With that all being said, yes, it is a smaller, ship however we felt it was in good condition and clean. I disagree that it is "dumpy". 

Also, we had excellent service however we tipped extra for drinks and thought the servers were great. Overall, a great cruise for us, sorry yours was disappointing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

You don’t have to pay any gratuities or service charges. They are easily removed by a trip to guest services.  

40 minutes ago, zqvol said:

You don’t have to pay any gratuities or service charges. They are easily removed by a trip to guest services.  

Gratuities, which are applied to meal & drink packages, are not optional and cannot be removed. You may remove the daily service charge.