The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 23rd, 2024

richwmn

Good afternoon from the Zuiderdam

Last day! Bags are packed, mostly.

it has been a fabulous trip. The crew is outstanding and very upbeat and friendly. 
    We have an early debark and then a mad dash to the airport. I had a 3pm flight which was perfect. Delta changed it to noon. At least it is still direct! Just hope we can get thru immigration and into an Uber quickly. It will be fine!

@Vict0riann a very happy birthday to you! May you enjoy many more!

I wish Debbie, Sue and Sharon a great trip as they board tomorrow. 

stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 22

A Cuban sandwich wouldn't be on my list (pork) even if anyone here knew what it was. The kabobs are also off, because of the yogurt marinade. I might like the drink but I would never admit it. Many FLX chardonnays are unoaked, but for one with oak we might look to Silver Thread Vineyard, 2022 Chardonnay, $25. "2022 was a dry vintage with small, instensely flavored grapes. Our 100% estate grown, old vine Chardonnay provided us with the opportunity to capture that ripeness and preserve it for the ages. This was fermented and aged in twenty-year-old French oak. Capturing both fruit flavor and the minerality of our site, it is true to the Silver Thread style."

I have been near Prince Rupert on the AMHS Matanuska, but the AMHS no longer docks there.

Yesterday after donating blood I felt, well, drained, and needed a nap and an early dinner. Today I had to pick up prescriptions at CVS-in-Target and noticed a customer in the Target checkout with a rope basket similar to what I wanted, although I needed it smaller and in a different color. Lo and behold, they had such a thing, saving me a lot of potentially fruitless shopping.

adopted.jpg.0757e66770bb9df344c9119327a0ee3a.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 6

Good afternoon, everyone!

We've been going nonstop today since breakfast.  We sure are getting our steps in!   @Crazy For Cats Yes, it has been a beautiful day for doing all our touristy stuff around Boston.  I bought a t-shirt and sweatshirt on my travels around.  Looking forward to seeing you and Juan on board tomorrow.

@Vict0riann and @AroundWithMAPTravels

HappyBirthday3.jpg.8e0a9dc5af7e35b1438dc6b5c2ec0e98.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful rest of the day!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon after a long day.  So much for not going into triple digits.  It's 100F and feels like 110F.  We have a 14mph wind from the south, so while it's hot, it was not too bad out for a few minutes at a time.

The traffic to Dallas and from Dallas to Fort Worth was not heavy, somebody let all the crazy drivers loose today.  We had many people cutting from the outside lane to the far inside lane without signaling or really looking.  Fortunately, the other drivers were paying attention, even though most of the traffic was going about 20mph over the speed limit.  The one that takes the cake was at a red light in Dallas.  We were the first car at the light, and a truck was next to us in the left turn lane, only he did not turn left.  Instead, he sped around us and through the intersection.  Just glad DH was not hurrying through the intersection.  And people wonder why we like living in a small rural town.  😁

The good news is the shunt is working, but the bad news it is working too well.  The simplest way to explain it is, if too much fluid is drained, the brain can pull away from the skull which can cause an even bigger problem.  The last CT scan showed some space there, so the nurse practioner reset the shunt back to where it was originally, which worked.  We'll see her in two weeks.  

The side trip to Fort Worth was partially successful.  One watch was ready, but the other one was not back yet.  The stop at Costco was frustrating since the register would not take the debit card I've been using there for 26 years, and which I've used at least three times in the last four months.  With DH sitting in the car, I had to leave the items, and I'll figure it out when I'm not so tired.  I'm ready for more of our calm, boring days.

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites 

It's a beautiful morning on the patio. Our cardinals are chirping away. Expect it to hit 100 today. The next 10 days look to be in the 90's.

Prayers lifted for our friends and family. Thinking of each of you. My DSis had her incisions checked. All looked good. Waiting on pathology results.

Happy Birthday to @Vict0riann and @AroundWithMAPTravels

My girlfriend and family are stuck at the Athens airport. So far thier delayed flight is going on 6 hours. But she said they had a fabulous cruise and air travel troubles won't take the smile from her face.

Today is an easy going day. I watered my friends plants and trees already, and I have a lunch date with MSH. 

I would like to say a non political comment about the DNC last night. I thought the "Chicks" and Pink were awesome! The music really was upper crust. The drummers were great and the guy playing the drums upside down was wow!

Wishing you all a lovely weekend and sending you blessings. 

Joy, I'm glad your DS's incisions looked good.  I'm sorry your friends flights were delayed, but at least, it's after the cruise not getting to the cruise.

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  I woke early, tummy wasnt happy, went back to sleep, slept until 8:45, fed cats, caught up on posts today and now I am off to work.  I will catch up with you all I hope before 11 at night, like yesterday.

I had the largest sale for our group in Orlando last night.- 2K.  and then another dale fright afterwards, and then nothing.  Oh well, it was a good sales day.  Hugs to all

Annie, congratulations on the sales.  I hope Momma Munchkin is doing all right.

5 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Final week of 50 days of celebrating 50 years of “wedded bliss” in England and onboard the beautiful Oceania Marina. Many spectacular days in the Arctic Circle, with icebergs, anniversary celebrations and Northern Lights. Smooth sailing until last night’s rocking & rolling (and a missed port, Eskifjordur, Iceland) in the Norwegian Sea.

Thanks to all who post on The Daily, our basic internet has been flawless & I enjoy keeping up with the Daily-ites. Prayers and good wishes to all. IMG_1961.thumb.jpeg.d52c7091b12a65113d3b7e4921e42ee0.jpegIMG_2010.thumb.jpeg.8cca0325b32df8d8eb1622009c917082.jpegPHOTO-2024-08-20-14-37-52.thumb.jpeg.75af486be43eb8cf57c5a5c55d931113.jpeg

Katherine, thank you for the pictures.  I loved the anniversary swans, and that was so nice of your stewards.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's a wet, cool morning here and I even heard thunder awhile ago. 85-90% chance of rain tonight too, there will be no outdoor concert for us. 😞  

Interesting collection of days, I like the quote, maybe on the drink, probably on the wine, and the meal looks good.  I've printed off the first recipe to make when the weather is better again, probably after tomorrow.

We were in Prince Rupert on the Koningsdam last year in early May.  It was a chilly day but sunny.  We walked across the street to the Sunken Gardens, then walked around town up to Walmart and back.  It was a 5-day Pacific Coastal -- unusual though because it went up to Alaska too with one Alaskan port (Ketchikan).  We will be in Prince Rupert again next year on the 28-day Alaska cruise.  This time we'll be there on July 4, so the flowers in the Sunken Gardens should be better than they were in early May.

The only thing on the agenda today is my mammogram and ultrasound this afternoon.  It's a good day to stay inside otherwise.

Happy Birthday Ann @Vict0riann!  I hope your DH is doing better and that your appointment goes well today.

Happy Birthday @AroundWithMAPTravels!

Terry @smitty34877  I'm happy to hear that your DB will be visiting this weekend -- and bringing dinner!

Here are my photos of our day in Prince Rupert in early May last year.

To get to the gardens we walked through this tunnel.  You can see one bit of color from here --

Walkthroughthistunnel.thumb.jpg.450cbe212aa4575dbfc3f1f773b98fdd.jpg

And we knew we were in the right place when we saw the sign

SignforSunkenGardens.thumb.jpg.9983d6e79a7bcaec212060d0355baec7.jpg

Looking down at the sunken area. There are benches all over, a really lovely spot.

thesunkenarea.thumb.jpg.dab77efd0f795b269ce7906e0188057b.jpg

The ship was very, very close.

shipisveryclose.thumb.jpg.ef6727a4e7bb9301f3c732af4f427115.jpg

moresunkenarea.thumb.jpg.f69026b95390a6986276f4d2bb013e84.jpg

It was so early in the spring, flowers were just emerging.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in July next year, I could see all the possibilities of later blooms.

Rhodiestoo.thumb.jpg.f3f108fba49017daa325111869844ec8.jpg

Ranunculus.thumb.jpg.5e28c21129a0341fd8715844c01a4963.jpg

PrinceRupert.thumb.jpg.f878aab98fc7180b83939291576eb2d5.jpg

morerhodies.thumb.jpg.70ff10a4635ce28d4455b01fb18b027d.jpg

Hellebores.thumb.jpg.6645c67b68b9c5d908dca6dd0e8f842f.jpg

Earlyspringflowers.thumb.jpg.5d022ed5aca421d275a0819aca66e8fe.jpg

Daffodilsjuststarting.thumb.jpg.ad3c481d64666f824680f30282f9aeae.jpg

Another entrance

Anotherentrance.thumb.jpg.99f782f0a381f3b31884968be0226493.jpg

Walking through town we saw the Northern BC Museum

NorthernBCMuseum.jpg.6afcc8a5d2799a72b8f968b9901976a5.jpg

Lots of crab on these crab boats as we waited in line to re-board the ship.

crabboatsbyship.jpg.80a4a5e5c7dea4c450e3622ce7f20186.jpg

It's an easy walkable town, and they also have a Vintage Trolley that takes you around the area.

Carolyn, thanks for the pictures of Prince Rupert.  We docked so early that morning, in the rain, nothing was open.  We stopped once to empty the melted ice water from the pan in the refrigerator.  All propane appliances have to be turned off on the ferry, so we needed a block of ice to keep the refrigerator cool, and it worked.

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good afternoon.

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Dixie and Ann and @LambKnuckles for the Daily.

Appreciate all you do.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Things are not going well here.  DH refused to go to the neurologist appointment yesterday. I just could not get him to move.  Very hard day.

I finally went by myself and spent one hour with the Doc talking about next steps.  Not sure I want to move as fast as he suggests.  

Doc agrees that I need a break.  i just am not sure i can get it.

Just need some prayers.

Thanks for listening.

Terri

Terri, I'm sorry things are not going well for you, but I'm glad you had a chance to talk to DH's doctor.  While you may not want to move as fast as he suggests, it might possibly be better for both of you.  It's a hard decision, especially when it is all up to you, and we're here for you no matter what you decide.

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good afternoon from the Zuiderdam

Last day! Bags are packed, mostly.

it has been a fabulous trip. The crew is outstanding and very upbeat and friendly. 
    We have an early debark and then a mad dash to the airport. I had a 3pm flight which was perfect. Delta changed it to noon. At least it is still direct! Just hope we can get thru immigration and into an Uber quickly. It will be fine!

@Vict0riann a very happy birthday to you! May you enjoy many more!

I wish Debbie, Sue and Sharon a great trip as they board tomorrow. 

stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Charlene, I'm glad the cruise was so good.  Good luck tomorrow, and safe travels.

@dfish  Debbie and Sue, and @Sharon in AZ  Sharon, I'm glad you are enjoying your day in Boston, and are having good weather.

@Haljo1935  Elizabeth, I hope there was improvement with your kitty overnight.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon from beautiful Boston where it’s been sunny all day!  Like Debbie @dfish said we’ve been going nonstop. I forgot how much uphill walking there is here. Whew!  

Excited to get on the ship tomorrow!

Happy Birthday @Vict0riann and @AroundWithMAPTravels

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Hi Lenda - thanks for asking @Quartzsite Cruiser cat 🐈 is about the same - not drinking, eating a little bit throughout the day, and spending his time in my lap. When I'm working at the computer, I put him on his tower. He is taking his meds.

I have a call in to the vet.💔

20240823_153912.thumb.jpg.6b7126809502d4e2aab539415b6f9c8c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 17

I'm home from my appointment and got good news!  It isn't cancer.  The whole thing (the mammogram, ultrasound and waiting for the doctor to look at the ultrasound) took only 30 minutes.  I do admit I was scared because I could see what they were looking at on the ultrasound.  Relief!  

Elizabeth @Haljo1935 I really hoped your kitty would be doing better. 😞  How old is he?  Sending more hugs and prayers.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good afternoon.

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Dixie and Ann and @LambKnuckles for the Daily.

Appreciate all you do.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Things are not going well here.  DH refused to go to the neurologist appointment yesterday. I just could not get him to move.  Very hard day.

I finally went by myself and spent one hour with the Doc talking about next steps.  Not sure I want to move as fast as he suggests.  

Doc agrees that I need a break.  i just am not sure i can get it.

Just need some prayers.

Thanks for listening.

Terri

Terri

Look around and see if any retirement community offers “respite care”. Designed to give caregivers a small break. I had never heard of this before, you may have to belong to a community to take advantage of it. But everyone has to pay a certain fee. 

It is at least worth looking into. Please take care of yourself. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

@JazzyV thanks for asking about my DB.  He called me today and sounded really chipper.  It sounds like he rescheduled his surgeon appointment so he must be doing much better.  Thank you everyone for your prayers and he can come off the prayer list.  

• Like 21

31 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm home from my appointment and got good news!  It isn't cancer.  The whole thing (the mammogram, ultrasound and waiting for the doctor to look at the ultrasound) took only 30 minutes.  I do admit I was scared because I could see what they were looking at on the ultrasound.  Relief!  

Elizabeth @Haljo1935 I really hoped your kitty would be doing better. 😞  How old is he?  Sending more hugs and prayers.

Carolyn, that is indeed good news.

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hi Lenda - thanks for asking @Quartzsite Cruiser cat 🐈 is about the same - not drinking, eating a little bit throughout the day, and spending his time in my lap. When I'm working at the computer, I put him on his tower. He is taking his meds.

I have a call in to the vet.💔

20240823_153912.thumb.jpg.6b7126809502d4e2aab539415b6f9c8c.jpg

Elizabeth, I'm so sorry he is not doing better.  It's so hard when our fur babies are not feeling well.

20 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@JazzyV thanks for asking about my DB.  He called me today and sounded really chipper.  It sounds like he rescheduled his surgeon appointment so he must be doing much better.  Thank you everyone for your prayers and he can come off the prayer list.  

Nancy, I'm glad your DB sounds so much better.  I hope he rescheduled his surgeon appointment, and that everything will work out this time.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

That is good news from your appt today!

The cat is 6. He had stones at about 18 mos - this is his 1st flair up since. Thank you for the positive thoughts and prayers. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Good evening. Pt wasn't too bad. And I am cautiously optimistic that maybe the vertigo is starting to resolve. No nausea for 2 days. Less sensation of spinning, but still if I bend over or move my head too fast I feel woozy. Baby steps.

@Cruising-along Thanks for the sunken gardens photos. And great news on your negative test results.

@bennybear Those flowers are gorgeous.

@TiogaCruiser That seems like a very disorganized way to get passengers off the ship for excursions.

@Cruzin Terri Sorry to hear about DH being obstinate about going to the appointment. Prayers and hugs for you both. When my DM was in a Level 2 personal care home that catered to dementia patients, they had a day care program where people could come for the day and take part in activities while their caregiver got a break. Is there anything like that near you? Do you have a social worker who can help you find resources?

@cunnorl Safe travels home tomorrow.

@Haljo1935 I'm sorry your cat is not doing better. 

@ottahand7 I'm glad that DB is doing better. He's had a tough go of it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

59 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Terri

Look around and see if any retirement community offers “respite care”. Designed to give caregivers a small break. I had never heard of this before, you may have to belong to a community to take advantage of it. But everyone has to pay a certain fee. 

It is at least worth looking into. Please take care of yourself. 

FYI.  Respite care at some locations can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months.

All meant for a break for the caregiver while providing care and evaluations on patient.   All good.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I think that many of us secrete Air Tags in our luggage.

A California woman used one to find out who was stealing her mail.

https://apnews.com/article/airtag-mail-theft-apple-california-bf1f993430216f23efd1528ec0f6a19a

I was thankful that I had AirTag in luggage on a recent trip.

should have been Newark- Frankfurt- Valencia.

however, Frankfurt folks put my luggage on a flight to Los Angeles… I was on a ship headed elsewhere in the Mediterranean.   Thanks to AirTag I was able to (after many NSFW words and many deep breaths) place the luggage in LAX and contact airline with that info.   Happy ending… 14000 miles and only 3 days late, luggage met up with me 2 countries later…. All due to air tag and willingness of airline to use that info

fyi… that day was my “ window”…. Due to closed ports for most of rest of itinerary would not be able to reunite with luggage… so best option would be home in 2 weeks.  Amazing that air tags came to my rescue (with a LOT of unprintable words in between)

• Like 20

I am a long time reader and fan of the daily (since during the Covid shutdown when it began).As a fellow cat owner I would like to urge Haljo1935 to please try using a clean eyedropper to gently get some water ( not cat water) into kitty. A little hydration and taste may entice him to drink.  Also vets can do an under the skin hydration. This is a simple office procedure and takes about 10 to 15 minutes and is an inexpensive treatment. Our cat responded dramatically to this treatment. Praying your kitty bounces back. He seems so loving.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, sugar333 said:

I am a long time reader and fan of the daily (since during the Covid shutdown when it began).As a fellow cat owner I would like to urge Haljo1935 to please try using a clean eyedropper to gently get some water ( not cat water) into kitty. A little hydration and taste may entice him to drink.  Also vets can do an under the skin hydration. This is a simple office procedure and takes about 10 to 15 minutes and is an inexpensive treatment. Our cat responded dramatically to this treatment. Praying your kitty bounces back. He seems so loving.

Thank you. He was given one round (is that the correct term?) of SQ fluids before discharge the other day, so I'm hoping they'll say they'll do more rather than admitting him overnight and giving IV fluids. 🤞🙏

I have given him some water w/the dropper when I give his pain med (it's liquid).

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 17

So after this morning’s rant, I’m coming back to say we DID get the full 7 hour tour today, and there was ample time on the tour to not feel rushed. We got back 15 minutes before last aboard. 

Sail in.

IMG_5108.thumb.jpeg.8236c2349c5be65b18bb269bb989e730.jpeg

IMG_5123.thumb.jpeg.2877bfa41ba5270ee4d4ce6190c88732.jpeg

The day was beautiful, and so was Peggy’s Cove. 

IMG_5154.thumb.jpeg.81928b725b69196ca32444235954c9ba.jpeg

IMG_5175.thumb.jpeg.de18d5981ca8f7544c6c24190fc19b1c.jpeg

IMG_5189.thumb.jpeg.1e3e996cad09b59cebdb66134db28bab.jpeg

IMG_5194.thumb.jpeg.8fba28817d07068d98edc97803bf34a8.jpeg

Lobster roll from Subway in Lunenburg. Yes, Subway. And it was delicious. 

IMG_5217.thumb.jpeg.41e89ce0c1bf08b675503bea58642a17.jpeg

IMG_5221.thumb.jpeg.698809b285ad04175c4e074bbed9d288.jpeg

What Lab doesn’t love food?

IMG_5218.thumb.jpeg.366f92b56bfc272a2a7adfd39a3ca4b1.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Update on the ultrasonic rodent chirper:

*plugged in in the attic 2.5 weeks ago 

*I left 4 days later 

*activity not noticeably increased before I left, but definitely less when I returned (info said they would get more active before eventually vacating)

*kept sticky baits in place in garage

*DH "terminated" live catch on a sticky bait this evening (he said it was large & sat up staring at him as he approached it, UGH & ICK)

*no evidence of any in the house 🏠 

*so, do they work? IDK, we're leaving plugged in as best results could be 3-4 weeks

*here's the one we got:

Jahy2Tech Rodent Repellent... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQXGXH1N?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5