Charge for Princess medallion lanyard?

seahorse001

Sorry for posting again

Does anyone know if there is a charge for the medallion thingy you use to open cabin door charges etc . I mean if you are NOT purchasing the premier or any other package ?

Sailing Barcelona to UK 

Thanks 👍 

There is no charge for the medallion and you get a plastic ring shaped holder ( that it clicks into) that is attached to a ribbon to wear around your neck at the check-in counter on cruise day.

If you want it posted out to you, you will have to pay a fee if you don't have a package, but I don't think they post them to Wales anyway.

You can of course get special backgrounds for it outside the usual normal Captain's Circle colours but you will pay a price for this in the app.

It also only takes a few moments to get it on embarkation day and you don't need fancy designs to make it work so no extra cost is needed if you don't want to.

I have found that one of the watch bands or other accessories sold onboard come in handy but again not really needed, just nice to have.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The medallion and lanyard can be picked up for free at the port.  If you check in later, there are few crowds and it won't take very long.   If you want any other holder (wrist, etc), they sell them on amazon for cheaper than you can purchase through Princess. 

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

Lanyard?  I don't need no stinkin lanyard.  Or any other accessory.

I pick up my medallion at the pier - no stress about arriving on time - and have never waited more than an extra minute or two for a clerk to get it.

It then goes in my pocket each day.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

There is a mailing fee of $10 if you do not have a package this is for the medallion we throw the lanyard away. You can always pick it up at the pier at no charge 

11 minutes ago, memoak said:

There is a mailing fee of $10 if you do not have a package this is for the medallion we throw the lanyard away. You can always pick it up at the pier at no charge 

Thanks 

Can't be posted in the  UK . I'm happy to pick up on check in 

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Lanyard?  I don't need no stinkin lanyard.  Or any other accessory.

I pick up my medallion at the pier - no stress about arriving on time - and have never waited more than an extra minute or two for a clerk to get it.

It then goes in my pocket each day.

Agree.  I gave up wearing lanyards decades ago at some kids camps.  Medallion goes in pocket.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nasa1974 said:

My last two Princess cruises I was surprised on how many people were wearing a lanyard.

It has seemed to me that more people use the lanyard than don't. We have never used one but it seems to be a popular thing to do. I'm always surprised when I see people wearing them on shore. I keep my Medallion in my pocket. My wife often carries a very small bag with her tatting. If she's carrying that her Medallion goes inside. Otherwise she clips it on.

Just now, Thrak said:

It has seemed to me that more people use the lanyard than don't. We have never used one but it seems to be a popular thing to do. I'm always surprised when I see people wearing them on shore. I keep my Medallion in my pocket. My wife often carries a very small bag with her tatting. If she's carrying that her Medallion goes inside. Otherwise she clips it on.

We use them but not when going ashore; medallions go in a zipped up pocket.

the last lanyard I wore was at a NASCAR race about 20 years ago when the tickets were actually a nice ticket you wanted to keep and the lanyard was a perfect way to keep it clean.

Firecracker 400 tonight - 8/24 - Daytona - 7:00pm ET - USA Network

28 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Wife "clips it on"?  How is that?

I love this thread because I was wondering how people manage the medallions. I've never used a Princess Medallion so I have no idea what to expect for size, weight, handleability, etc.  

I'm surprised how many keep them in their pockets -- I can't imagine trusting something so important to the lame pockets found in most women's casual wear.  I can slip a card in the back pocket of jeans and not worry about it falling out or being broken when sitting in a seat.  Not sure about a medallion?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Need-a-vacation said:

I'm surprised how many keep them in their pockets -- I can't imagine trusting something so important to the lame pockets found in most women's casual wear.  I can slip a card in the back pocket of jeans and not worry about it falling out or being broken when sitting in a seat.  Not sure about a medallion?

My wife once lost her Medallion walking around Aruba. It was great that someone else found it and turned it in at the Princess check in spot at the foot of the gangway.

You won't break a Medallion by sitting on it.

We use Air Tag holders. Princess sells a plastic clip on holder one can purchase in advance or on the ship. The Princess clips don't obstruct the passenger name and ship info like these do.

image.jpeg.c8767e5ab18cd5139b82eac9e93be5f9.jpeg

image.jpeg.cb87710819303c9aa2bd774e9542d72c.jpeg

Edited by Thrak

2 hours ago, Need-a-vacation said:

I love this thread because I was wondering how people manage the medallions. I've never used a Princess Medallion so I have no idea what to expect for size, weight, handleability, etc.  

The medallions fit in any airpod holder.  (But, interestingly, airpods don't fit in princess holders!)

I have the same concerns as you.  

I don't want to use a lanyard.  DH will wear a watch type holder.  But I have to wear my apple watch to count my steps and 2 watches will look silly.

I was thinking of one of these pictured below but I am not sure I will have belt loops on all my clothes and although it has a quick release catch I think it will be a pain to pay for things with it. 

Maybe I wll buy a simple leather or more decorative necklace and attach it to that. A little less lanyardy. 

image.thumb.png.98cf8a770f3c253e021053dd865645ff.png

1 hour ago, paddingtonbear said:

Maybe I wll buy a simple leather or more decorative necklace and attach it to that. A little less lanyardy

How does it work  with a necklace or lanyard? Do you have to remove it to scan for your door or to purchase?  I keep having visions of having to smoosh my face to the door to get a neck thing close enough to scan.

I think I need to go find a video of how this thing actually works.  I keep thinking of it like my work badge that has to actually touch the reader on the wall to work 

You can purchase a holder on Amazon that will fit onto your Apple watch band. Just go to Amazon and do a search such as "princess medallion holder for apple watch" and you will find a number of them. They only work on bands that come apart so I can't use them on any of my watches but Apple watches have bands that have a latch that comes apart. The holders are not expensive.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Need-a-vacation said:

How does it work  with a necklace or lanyard? Do you have to remove it to scan for your door or to purchase?  I keep having visions of having to smoosh my face to the door to get a neck thing close enough to scan.

I think I need to go find a video of how this thing actually works.  I keep thinking of it like my work badge that has to actually touch the reader on the wall to work 

I just walk up to my door and the Medallion in my pocket unlocks the door and displays a welcome message on the screen next to the door. Sometimes when purchasing a drink or something I have to physically scan the medallion but other times I don't. Sometimes they ask my cabin number instead. When boarding or disembarking you must physically place your medallion against a reader. Same for checking in at your muster station before sailing and obviously a slot machine will require you to physically place the medallion against a reader.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

I was surprised to learn that the new Premier Package includes both a complimentary lanyard and a complimentary clip. Not sure if that was the case with the previous Premier? 

Is this "clip" something other than the standard round holder that comes with the lanyard? Everybody gets a lanyard and a holder for the Medallion.

Posted (edited)

I just returned from my first Princess cruise in eleven years. I used the lanyard onboard but in ports, it went into my pocket. Next to last day, I had a little non-refundable OBC left over, so I bought a clip on. Never did clip it on. Felt better in my pocket. 😄

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction

19 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Is this "clip" something other than the standard round holder that comes with the lanyard? Everybody gets a lanyard and a holder for the Medallion.

17 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

I just returned from my first Princess cruise in eleven years. I used the lanyard onboard but in ports, it went into my pocket. Next to last day, I had a little non-refundable OBC left over, so I bought a clip on. Never did clip it on. Felt better in my pocket. 😄

The lanyard and holder both get thrown sway on delivery. You really don’t need anything but some folks want clips to attach to bags etc.   The bartenders and waiters plus your door can read it from many feet away 

I think a lot of you guys forget that most women's clothing do not have pockets, and even as a guy, I hate bulky stuff in my pockets. I bought the little watch band looking holders that I might wear, but honestly the lanyard will get used, as well. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I think a lot of you guys forget that most women's clothing do not have pockets, and even as a guy, I hate bulky stuff in my pockets. I bought the little watch band looking holders that I might wear, but honestly the lanyard will get used, as well. 

Wearing a lanyard in ports just screams”pick my pocket “. Just my opinion