Elite breakfast / happy hour questions

pepele

11 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Cruise ship bagels are worse than Florida bagels.

I'll bring a hockey stick with me next time so I can use the bagels as a puck. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I'll bring a hockey stick with me next time so I can use the bagels as a puck. 

I thought hockey pucks where the fried hash brown patties in the buffet? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Omelettes or eggs, bacon, pancakes or toast.  I can't remember the last time I ate cereals. Cruise ship bagels are worse than Florida bagels. I'm not interested in a charcuterie board for breakfast but it would be nice in the afternoon. We get the drink package so I can get a Mimosa with real Champagne and not made with the headache water they use for the free stuff.

If you need omelette and bacon you won’t like the spa cafe breakfast, either, so stick with the mDR or buffet

12 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Yes, we have also had great breakfasts in Asian hotels. My go to breakfast is grilled salmon and rice.HK4.thumb.jpg.71641362030a164b6d2ae8d7be86950b.jpgHK2.thumb.jpg.ba8556d22d2ecf93c89b801718336030.jpgHK3.thumb.jpg.1e43db900e97756d15a2ac7ff65f46e2.jpg  

Yes, I could enjoy that! To my mind trying the food in different places is part of the pleasure of travel. I do remember one morning, however, on our Far East cruise deciding to just have scrambled egg and toast. The toast was really sweet and the scrambled eggs really spicy! The hardest thing about the buffet on this Star Cruises cruise was that no one understood queuing…The majority of cruisers were Chinese with a few Europeans like ourselves…On entering the relatively small buffet area extended Chinese family groups would scatter to look at the offerings at each stand then yell to the rest if they found something good resulting swathes of guests migrating en mass to gather at that station and then move on. It really was a fantastic experience…We had booked it as an ‘add on’ to a Singapore and Thailand land stay. So pleased we did. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

Wot!?! No kippers!?!

They did have some smoked fish but tiny and full of bones. I think I entertained the adjacent table who were (through sign language and the one word ‘Eat!’) encouraging me to eat the whole little fish which I simply couldn’t do. I dissected the first one and gave up after that. Much as am quite an adventurous eater I can’t cope with my food staring at me so much of the fish wasn’t an option! I couldn’t cope with the baby octopus either served whole on the plate…

Edited by chemmo

43 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Can you get a take out cappuchino etc from Elite Breakfast 

Since they do not have paper cups, there, I would say no. Maybe if you brought your own Tumblr you could but it’s really not part of the Captains Club breakfast experience.

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I thought hockey pucks where the fried hash brown patties in the buffet? 

Never tried the hash browns but the bagels are the worst of anything I've tried plus they frequently run out of bananas which they use as a topping.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gold1953 said:

not allowed to take any food out. I tried

Hmmm.  I only did it once but while having my breakfast by myself on Millennium, I asked the waitress for a 'to go' order of the fruit plate and she brought it to me with one of those plastic covers they use when they carry food from the kitchen to the wait stations in the dining room.  

36 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Never tried the hash browns but the bagels are the worst of anything I've tried plus they frequently run out of bananas which they use as a topping.

Bagels have been hit or miss for me on cruises.  At home I normally get an Asiago Cheese bagel, toast it, and spread crunchy peanut butter on top.  Occasionally I'll switch it up and put some cream cheese on it instead of peanut butter, depends on my mood. 

Most of the time I will skip the bagel and toast and have myself a delicious pistachio roll or almond croissant.  Those two are addicting so be careful if you start eating them. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Hmmm.  I only did it once but while having my breakfast by myself on Millennium, I asked the waitress for a 'to go' order of the fruit plate and she brought it to me with one of those plastic covers they use when they carry food from the kitchen to the wait stations in the dining room.  

Bagels have been hit or miss for me on cruises.  At home I normally get an Asiago Cheese bagel, toast it, and spread crunchy peanut butter on top.  Occasionally I'll switch it up and put some cream cheese on it instead of peanut butter, depends on my mood. 

Most of the time I will skip the bagel and toast and have myself a delicious pistachio roll or almond croissant.  Those two are addicting so be careful if you start eating them. 

I do love croissants especially the almond ones but unfortunately I'm now at a stage in my life where I avoid anything made with white flour. I now eat whole grain breads and have adopted a more healthy diet. 

31 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I do love croissants especially the almond ones but unfortunately I'm now at a stage in my life where I avoid anything made with white flour. I now eat whole grain breads and have adopted a more healthy diet. 

I should do the same but have not quite developed the discipline that I need.  Cruises are my weakness. The food is so good, there is a lot of it, and they feed you so often.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

If you need omelette and bacon you won’t like the spa cafe breakfast, either, so stick with the mDR or buffet

Oh we do. Last cruise on Royal Caribbean we hit the MDR at 7:00am. We were the only one in there and we were done before it started to fill up at 8:00. This was on the Anthem. What was also nice is that they had a small buffet set up as well with all of the classic breakfast offerings for those who wanted a buffet without the commotion.

On 8/25/2024 at 4:53 AM, cruisestitch said:

It’s a lovely quiet way to start your morning away from the crowds. 

Its never crowded.Fast service and usually a refined crowd.

On 8/25/2024 at 8:03 AM, drakes2 said:

In the morning I get a Pistachio latte from Cafe El Bacio then on to Elite breakfast same deck on E class ships for a fruit plate or salmon bagel and a mimosa. Every third day or so I go to MDR for a big breakfast minus the Danish.  Came home the same weight after my 15 night TA this April. 

I eat and drink whatever I want.Hope to die young.Who wants to be an old man?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Can you get a take out cappuchino etc from Elite Breakfast 

I’ve never been able to. No takeaway cups 

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Edsny said:

Its never crowded.Fast service and usually a refined crowd.

I'm usually there between 8 and 9 am before it gets too busy. I can get enough to eat to fill me to lunch time then its to the pool on sea days if I have an excursion then I go to the MDR.

On 8/24/2024 at 1:55 PM, drakes2 said:

Done many Elite breakfasts and never seen a child not even a baby.

Had to laugh.  My kids came to the Elite breakfast exactly once.  They said it was both boring and too early.  The buffets was more their style.

On Celebrity have sailed with a Zenith.  Joined them at Zenith events

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gold1953 said:

if elite numbers are high it will be buffet style, I like that they often have mango and papaya. They will serve your bagel toasted if youask

I never eat cooked breakfast and my hubby just wants a grapefruit juice as he goes straight to the gym most mornings! Love the breakfast offered and a glass of sparkling wine.Most times they will bring toast and butter which I prefer to bagels with the smoked salmon.Lovely and peaceful start to the day.

We've been on several cruises with elite status, but never been to Happy Hour or Breakfast. We are going on an Alaskan cruise Sept. 2025 and I'm making it my mission to at least try the Breakfast and Happy Hour. Sounds wonderful to me.  

10 minutes ago, pattyj 1204 said:

We've been on several cruises with elite status, but never been to Happy Hour or Breakfast. We are going on an Alaskan cruise Sept. 2025 and I'm making it my mission to at least try the Breakfast and Happy Hour. Sounds wonderful to me.  

I've always enjoyed the Elite breakfast not the Happy hour as much since they don't have it in the Sky lounge any longer on S class ships. The Martini bars are too crowded, noisy and IMO not enough bartenders to serve the amount of guests they have. 

30 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I've always enjoyed the Elite breakfast not the Happy hour as much since they don't have it in the Sky lounge any longer on S class ships. The Martini bars are too crowded, noisy and IMO not enough bartenders to serve the amount of guests they have. 

The next time you cruise, you will find that they will have an elite happy hour on the S class ships in the sky lounge two or three times on your cruise

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The next time you cruise, you will find that they will have an elite happy hour on the S class ships in the sky lounge two or three times on your cruise

Good to know. I'm doing a 10 night Caribbean on Eclipse end October. 

Toasted bagel takes the hockey puck feeling away.. I can only have 1/2 anyhow..carb count..  Toasted with a  cream cheese shmear,  lox, onion, tomato,  capers..that's a NY Bagel.

• Like 1