Celebrity Eclipse Sky Lounge closed during 12 day cruise

quicklabs

1 hour ago, Liao said:

So the guy comes in to do his job and setup for it’s intended purpose, and this is wrong how?

Agree, that seems a bit much…and what about us poor saps that might want to have a drink in said lounge? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canderson said:

How much of the ship's space should any private entity (or good grief, even more than one private group at a time!) take over during a non-charter cruise, depriving pax who weren't warned and didn't expect to run into this of space they expected to use during their cruise? 

As much as Celebrity will let them given the price they're willing to pay. For X, it's a risk reward scenario. Based on the "GFY" responses posted in this thread, the reward is greater than what Celebrity perceives to be the risk.

1 hour ago, 39august said:

I sent my note yesterday. I expect no, or a canned, response.

At least you voiced your concerns. As I have. If it goes on deaf ears, oh well at least we escalated our displeasure instead of just whinging about it here on CC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Kind of answered your own question here. Relax in peace and quiet, ie underutilzed area not producing money.  The ships various locations are meant to make money, 20-30 pp okay maybe some more than that, l in there during day, when bar is not open, or mainly not drinking does not make the ship money.  I have no issue with it being used by PW.  Like others mentioned this has happened before with large trade groups on board have taken up the Sky Lounge area.  As much as people dislike PW, there are others who enjoy the art.just not on this board it seems.  I only purchase if I like it, not for investment.  Honestly is this any different than all the folks who decided to camp out at Cafe Al Bacio all day and play cards, this was a big problem on my last 2 cruises.  

Pretty sure after a few years of running Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse and Silhouette they realised that very few people use the massive space that is the sky lounge and figured they could make a lot more money by carving part of it out to turn into suites as they did with the Reflection. And even on Reflection, what is left of the sky lounge is still a massively underutilised piece of real estate. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, OysterD said:

Pretty sure after a few years of running Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse and Silhouette they realised that very few people use the massive space that is the sky lounge and figured they could make a lot more money by carving part of it out to turn into suites as they did with the Reflection. And even on Reflection, what is left of the sky lounge is still a massively underutilised piece of real estate. 

not underused on sea days. On our last TA (Reflection) it was packed most days not only with passengers just relaxing but numerous quizes and a late night party band.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, the penguins said:

not underused on sea days. On our last TA (Reflection) it was packed most days not only with passengers just relaxing but numerous quizes and a late night party band.

Indeed.  If they tried to shut it down on a TA at-sea day, there would be a mutiny.  We find it to be a fairly popular place on those cruises vs. others.  Which is both predicable and odd at the same time.  Predictable that in that on a TA, pax are often looking for a good spot for some R&R with a view, the shipboard experience being a primary driver for even being there, and odd since a TA at-sea day provides the least amount of actual things to look at of any cruise one could take!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

And Celebrity calls themselves Relaxed Luxury?  🤣

Too many questionable business practices here for a luxury accommodation ...

They can call themselves Relaxed Luxury all they want, but they are still a premium cruise line.  Premium is fine by me but a rose is still a rose...

Got to tell you, I never quite got the alignment between sailing on a beautiful ship, to wonderful destinations eating excellent food and drinking smartly prepared cocktails ... and ... the sale of overpriced "Art".  It just does not work for me.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, SteveCascio said:

Got to tell you, I never quite got the alignment between sailing on a beautiful ship, to wonderful destinations eating excellent food and drinking smartly prepared cocktails ... and ... the sale of overpriced "Art".  It just does not work for me.

Nor I, but apparently it does for quite a few therefore none of my business to be critical.

• Like 1

I have no problem with people buying art.  Go right ahead.  What place will be closed off next?  The pool?  One of the restaurants?  We’re not talking about an hour.  We’re talking about most of a cruise.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Oville said:

Nor I, but apparently it does for quite a few therefore none of my business to be critical.

To each their own ... just not for me ... not critical.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I have no problem with people buying art.  Go right ahead.  What place will be closed off next?  The pool?  One of the restaurants?  We’re not talking about an hour.  We’re talking about most of a cruise.

Do you really believe Celebrity would close the pool or a restaurant on a sea day? I guess it never rains on the pool and people don’t need to eat in your assumption.

5 minutes ago, Oville said:

Do you really believe Celebrity would close the pool or a restaurant on a sea day? I guess it never rains on the pool and people don’t need to eat in your assumption.

Well let me think.  They closed a lounge for days at a time.  Is there anything else they could close?  No. I guess not. They are probably already writing the apology emails for closing the Sky Lounge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, canderson said:

Expensive in absolute $, but the cabins are much larger, there aren't upcharges for everything, basic excursions are free, and Elite on Celebrity get free laundry and dry cleaning and automatic cruise fare discounts as part of the status match now. 

Their newest ship class is equivalent in GT to the old Celebrity Horizon class, but with a lot less passengers and lots of crew.

I agree with this.  When you add in all of the charges for wine,  excursions, room service,  and the list goes on, etc for X.  Frequently the all-inclusive lines can be less.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oville said:

On a Royal C cruise on Brilliance, PW  took over the main atrium area for the art by day..Turned to small chaos when unruly pre teens spilled choc syrup over the railing onto the scene.! 

Pool would be iffy due to weather & solarium environment might be bad for so called "art".

14 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well I might be they are expensive and smaller too.

As for bars, overall I find it annoying that when a trivia or a talk of some kind, then bartenders really make no effort to try to be a bit quiet.  And the ones at the back of the theatre do not realize their noise carries as well.  

The noise from the back of the theatre, the bar stool type seats just as you enter, is beyond just annoying for those of us who have to use the disabled seats just in front of them. We have asked numerous Cruise Directors to make a friendly announcement asking for passengers to respect the performers and other guests by not talking during the performance or to move to a different venue- none have done it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

On a Royal C cruise on Brilliance, PW  took over the main atrium area for the art by day..Turned to small chaos when unruly pre teens spilled choc syrup over the railing onto the scene.! 

I knew there was a reason that I don’t like Viking.  Good job kids!  😂

11 hours ago, Liao said:

They can call themselves Relaxed Luxury all they want, but they are still a premium cruise line.  Premium is fine by me but a rose is still a rose...

Celebrity is not a Premium cruise line.

Celebrity is the highest level of the mass cruise lines.

Premium and luxury lines use smaller ships, are without ship within a ship, treat all customers very close to the same, have longer and more exotic destinations.

• Like 4

On 8/25/2024 at 8:51 AM, sheeng said:

We expressed our concerns, disappointment and frustrations with all the closures of Sky Lounge to the Hotel Manager in writing.

Below is the response.

IMG_6420.thumb.jpeg.8414cc009061eebd277e167d1c67c4ce.jpeg

In other words, your opinion is like so many others on this sailing and we will file in the appropriate circular filing cabinet!  I'm on this sailing and not only due to this poor decision but many other shortcomings, we are done with Celebrity for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, as3369 said:

In other words, your opinion is like so many others on this sailing and we will file in the appropriate circular filing cabinet!  I'm on this sailing and not only due to this poor decision but many other shortcomings, we are done with Celebrity for the foreseeable future.

No they’re going to forward it!

50 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Celebrity is not a Premium cruise line.

Celebrity is the highest level of the mass cruise lines.

Premium and luxury lines use smaller ships, are without ship within a ship, treat all customers very close to the same, have longer and more exotic destinations.

I can’t convince my spouse to try a luxury line after small ship Viking.  He likes the theater and wants to know what he’ll be doing all evening.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oville said:

They do seem to have a total disregard for the customer and will chase any increased revenue ...

I can see PW using the Sky Lounge for a couple of hours at most,  but not all day.  Just imagine them closing down Eden for most of the cruise.  As others have said when it starts raining outside,  everyone comes in and it is crowded.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3