Is nyc ship as bad as reviews say??

sullyd

2 hours ago, sullyd said:

Booked a balcony on deck 14 is this a good location?

I assume you mean Meraviglia. I have honestly rarely see negative reviews on that ship, so not sure what you are reading...but I see a lot of great posts about that ship

• Like 1

We have sailed on the Meraviglia twice, both times in the YC. Wonderful ship. Not sure where the negative reviews come from. We have also sailed on the Davina and Seashore in the YC. We thought the layout on the Meraviglia with the central promenade was wonderful. Meraviglia has a smaller YC bar area, but it is still nice.

Deck 14 will be below the buffet and some of the pools, so it is a short climb on the stairs to access these locations.  Not sure of your location, possible noise from deck chairs being put out in the early am? I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Again, and for thread posterity, "assuming Meraviglia", In 2021 it was my first cruise and still one of my favorites. You really have to force yourself to take reviews with a grain of salt - they are for the most part subjective and you don't know the experiences or expectations of the people writing them.

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Like 3

When reading reviews, remember that trolls post negative reviews as clickbait, often for ships they have never sailed. I sailed on the Meraviglia in January 2024 and while it was too noisy for me, I think it is probably a splendid ship for the right (younger) demographic.

18 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

I question the original question. What is a NYC ship?

That's an important question that OP hasn't come back to answer.  As of this date, though, Meraviglia is the only ship sailing out of NYC that would have any reviews.

24 minutes ago, MonsterJoe said:

That's an important question that OP hasn't come back to answer.  As of this date, though, Meraviglia is the only ship sailing out of NYC that would have any reviews.

At least on this board.  But he could be lost and be referencing Carnival, NCL…

• Like 2

On 8/24/2024 at 10:09 PM, Scottdalfonso said:

I assume you mean Meraviglia. I have honestly rarely see negative reviews on that ship, so not sure what you are reading...but I see a lot of great posts about that ship

Just back from a great Meraviglia cruise to Bermuda. Great ship, great weather!
Meraviglia… 👍 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

Just back from a great Meraviglia cruise to Bermuda. Great ship, great weather!
Meraviglia… 👍 

That's what I hear!! We do Seascape in December and if it goes well, we will definitely be booking Meraviglia next! 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I love the Meraviglia! Don't believe all the bad reviews. I have sailed on her four times so far and have two more booked!

So glad you chimed in because I wanted to ask you about getting to the port.  Being that you are located in NY, did you drive and park or were you dropped off?  We just booked Mera for NYE and have never cruised out of New York.  We have to fly in so looking for the best option to get to the port.  Also, I'm assuming it will start off cold, get warm/hot, and then get cold again?

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

56 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

So glad you chimed in because I wanted to ask you about getting to the port.  Being that you are located in NY, did you drive and park or were you dropped off?  We just booked Mera for NYE and have never cruised out of New York.  We have to fly in so looking for the best option to get to the port.  Also, I'm assuming it will start off cold, get warm/hot, and then get cold again?

So far, we have not driven to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, but that will change in October, as that will be our first time driving. We have typically taken Uber/Lyft, but did once have a friend drop us off. We just returned to the Brooklyn terminal (on a Princess repositioning cruise, not MSC) on Saturday and for that one, we took a Lyft from the terminal to JFK. It was almost $100, but I suspect that was because our disembarkation was late and it was complete chaos at the terminal. Typically, we have been able to Uber/Lyft to/from JFK or LGA for about $75-$80. Definitely recommend Uber/Lyft. We asked a Taxi driver how much it would be to JFK on Saturday and he said $160!!!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

So glad you chimed in because I wanted to ask you about getting to the port.  Being that you are located in NY, did you drive and park or were you dropped off?  We just booked Mera for NYE and have never cruised out of New York.  We have to fly in so looking for the best option to get to the port.  Also, I'm assuming it will start off cold, get warm/hot, and then get cold again. 

Best bet is Uber/Lyft from the airport to Brooklyn. I've sailed out of Brooklyn 3 times with Princess. I've taken a car service from NJ to Brooklyn. It will be cold sailing out of Brooklyn. Just might  get some snow.  It will probably start warming up once you get down the Carolinas/GA.  And vise versia. 

Edited by Princess Cruiser27
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I sailed Meraviglia in March and drove to and parked at the port as I live about an hour away. Parking for me was no cost as I have friends in the right places. If not, I would have taken a car service. Happy to answer any of your questions.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I sailed Meraviglia in March and drove to and parked at the port as I live about an hour away. Parking for me was no cost as I have friends in the right places. If not, I would have taken a car service. Happy to answer any of your questions.

Appreciate that. Hate to hijack the thread so I will add that when we last sailed Meraviglia we had a wonderful cruise!  OP, I highly recommend. 

@RichYak we will fly in on a Friday before embarkation to give us enough time to counter potential weather issues. Planning on staying in Brooklyn as it is close to port and more cost effective than Manhattan. Will we still be close enough to things like the 911 Memorial and other tourist spots?

8 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Appreciate that. Hate to hijack the thread so I will add that when we last sailed Meraviglia we had a wonderful cruise!  OP, I highly recommend. 

@RichYak we will fly in on a Friday before embarkation to give us enough time to counter potential weather issues. Planning on staying in Brooklyn as it is close to port and more cost effective than Manhattan. Will we still be close enough to things like the 911 Memorial and other tourist spots?

9/11 memorial is easily accessible from Brooklyn as is the rest of Manhattan. Normally I would advise to stay in Manhattan but I'm sure that time of year can be cost prohibitive.

On my March sailing, after morning laps around the walking track on day 2, it was surprisingly warm enough to lay out on One Pool deck by around 11am. I doubt that will be the case in late December. Days 3, 4, and 5 will be your outdoor days with the others being pretty cold.

Unfortunately, your sailing is right between DD1 and DD2 weddings leaving my travel budget nonexistent. Otherwise I might be tempted to join you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichYak said:

Unfortunately, your sailing is right between DD1 and DD2 weddings leaving my travel budget nonexistent. Otherwise I might be tempted to join you.

Just think of the raise you’ll get after those weddings are over!  Much as I’d love to have you join, a cruise after all the wedding festivities is just what you’ll need to relax and unwind. 😊

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Just think of the raise you’ll get after those weddings are over!  Much as I’d love to have you join, a cruise after all the wedding festivities is just what you’ll need to relax and unwind. 😊

Thanks. We're still traveling though. We have land vacations planned for right after each wedding.

• Like 1