The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 27th, 2024

richwmn

Apologies for the multiple posts, I hate to clutter up the daily but that way you could see three great untouristy sites.  We were amazed that there were such interesting places so nearby that are barely visited in comparison to Ephesus.  

We have enjoyed our time there. 

IMG_2938.jpeg

IMG_2866.jpeg

IMG_2864.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

thanks you for explaining this as I was thinking of Megan M.  ha ha

And thanks for your comments on prior post which I can't reply to because for some reason CC is closing down quickly.   Nice to hear you have all those P&O cruises booked.

I am doing Anthem next year when she goes to Alaska.  Will be my 4th time on her. Love that ship.

Thank you.

We have been on Anthem twice from Southampton.

The North Star and dodgems were excellent.

• Like 9

Good afternoon, friends! The PT this morning agreed that I no longer needed the walker - yay!. Of course, I had ditched it after I got home from church Sunday afternoon. Glad to have confirmation that all is going well. 

Ephesus! The perfect place to buy a gift for DS who is very hard to shop for. OF COURSE we got him a "genuine fake watch" - a "Rolex"! I think that was DD DH's favorite part of the trip - bartering with the shop keeper. We also went into the terrace houses - the whole place is breathtaking.

I went into a shawl booth in Kusadasi when we got back, thinking I would do just a "grab & go." The shop owner had other ideas! We received the lecture on the various qualities, were served tea by a family member, and just learned to slow down and enjoy the moment! And had several nice shawls to gift our family members!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Kusadasi is an easy town to walk around unless you decide to climb up to the flag and statue of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk which a friend did.  We're not that adventurous.  While the vendors in the different stores and stalls wanted to sell us something, they were not as pushy as those in many places, especially if you took a minute to talk with them.  And many bargained, which is always good.

A palace on an island at the entrance to the harbor

DSC06270.thumb.JPG.bcf827c01df6248efd7ceefdf5fd5aaf.JPG

The statue of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of the modern, secular republic of Turkey after the fall of the Ottoman Empire.  He became the first president of Turkey in 1923 and held the office until his death in 1938.  He was given the honorific Ataturk by the Turkish parliament in 1934.  The title Ataturk means "Father of the Turks".

DSC06276.thumb.JPG.e52c1c84245d22bbff140328bbfb1c0b.JPG

DSC07812.thumb.JPG.d7755963d4dc86f8775024c2f994ec8c.JPG

DSC06278.thumb.JPG.4048280b5b6e82349a1cada2a10ae348.JPG

The new cruise terminal and a dance troupe greeting us.  

DSC06203.thumb.JPG.a6f0cc8be9a42571dc00da14feeeb780.JPG

Truth in advertising is good, and this was not the only store that had similar signs.

DSC07815.thumb.JPG.61d1daa8e12aec2cd8b09f0ddefe5a56.JPG

Scenes from our walks around town

DSC07817.thumb.JPG.417d9907d44a9cbd46927f3ae9000b0b.JPG

DSC07818.thumb.JPG.833256c37b77ab0b53f05ba105ca4a20.JPG

The mosque, which is located in an area near the port and surrounded by shopping streets.  You have to really look for the street that leads to the mosque.

DSC07819.thumb.JPG.0c5d6dd51626ea79665fe8d653c6dce5.JPG

DSC07820.thumb.jpg.4fa6e265fe9a05d72bf4d332a06bf9d1.jpg

DSC07821.thumb.JPG.285d8425b56dcd12ced6dfb6e0121589.JPG

The main street in front of the port, with shopping and restaurants

DSC07823.thumb.JPG.51703c27676d770c6d2773f567ac793c.JPG

A friendly merchant

DSC06269.thumb.JPG.5b7339ff760c7a71e1c4d02934cf2993.JPG

A pretty fountain near the entrance to the port arcade with many more shops, and where you can get private tours or rent a car.

DSC07827.thumb.JPG.5bf287a17fc2c7700c304940b3c44fc3.JPG

Lenda

Excellent collection of photos Lenda.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Good afternoon, friends! The PT this morning agreed that I no longer needed the walker - yay!. Of course, I had ditched it after I got home from church Sunday afternoon. Glad to have confirmation that all is going well. 

Ephesus! The perfect place to buy a gift for DS who is very hard to shop for. OF COURSE we got him a "genuine fake watch" - a "Rolex"! I think that was DD DH's favorite part of the trip - bartering with the shop keeper. We also went into the terrace houses - the whole place is breathtaking.

I went into a shawl booth in Kusadasi when we got back, thinking I would do just a "grab & go." The shop owner had other ideas! We received the lecture on the various qualities, were served tea by a family member, and just learned to slow down and enjoy the moment! And had several nice shawls to gift our family members!

My Kusadasi genuine fake Rolex still keeps perfect time after 12 years.

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

Good morning all , it looks like another nice day in the Daily neighbourhood , thank you Rich and friends .
We have been a half dozen times to Ephesus from Kusadasi and I expect a lot of pictures today of beautiful Ephesus.

In 2015 while on the Zuiderdam for a wonderful cruise in the Mediterranean we stopped in Kusadasi once more and I thought to surprise my DW with a different day out , I had booked a guide and with two other ladies we first did some touring around in the morning saw some Roman ruins , went to the obligatory carpet factory and before we went to a small local market to buy fresh supplies for the cooking class I had booked at the guides home with his wife so without further ado I will get to the pictures and they will do most of the talking I believe . 

To wake up and get acquainted some Turkish tea .
IMG_0434.thumb.jpg.d0783d3bd82ee4aa42b7eef1fe927908.jpg

DSCN4544.thumb.JPG.846fb980b6002e4dcb777663b1a06026.JPG

IMG_1209.thumb.jpg.53bae72f84d87f497a907250060231ca.jpg

For a couple of cigarettes from our guide to the local farmer we were allowed to take some pictures of the stork at a farmhouse right next to the van  ……...

DSCN4550.thumb.jpg.a8edf1753d65dfba2f6f97c310e116f7.jpg

2102196694_DSCN45462.thumb.jpg.26f56545af87e4a776e575749065afad.jpg

Getting our supplies for what was coming ...............

DSCN4554.thumb.JPG.e66fb9d976dcd142c2b868efb8d9ed43.JPG

DSCN4557.thumb.jpg.fb455a48b5ff5651d3dadbabcfff1e0d.jpg

IMG_1238.thumb.JPG.90d9f20d89c5f76bb75a0436a81e77d9.JPG

But first we had to go through the sales pitch
DSCN4566.thumb.jpg.385e8279336b0c93fe095fb3f25d9fcc.jpg

DSCN4569.thumb.jpg.995b1bcfdd633e82d2d81641952f40a9.jpg

DSCN4576.thumb.jpg.dc0cdca98dff990f406dc6f224c70c93.jpg

Meeting the guides wife in the very nice outdoor kitchen , our instructor and starting to chop .
DSCN4580.thumb.JPG.27ad5229ad6a17b3e476f25160dff13e.JPG

DSCN4584.thumb.JPG.591bdad48e24646a318801d59f3ebbfb.JPG

Getting right into it 

DSCN4587.thumb.jpg.2767a867caf3f70ac41384e2790635e9.jpg

Filling the peppers 

DSCN4586.thumb.JPG.d7d4f88ca38e583f7fbde98055189920.JPG

IMG_1282.thumb.JPG.b6a7d5a6760a17bcea73fdfa813a108a.JPG

Don’t worry they also kept me busy besides taking pictures I had to harvest grape leaves and do some chopping and rolling …..

IMG_1275.thumb.JPG.dcddf9d41aba0cc8cb82e4eec0ebee21.JPG

IMG_1278.thumb.JPG.fbef02dadd88cf8f64eb072163b70a03.JPG

Testing and tasting .......mmmmmmmm ! 

IMG_1289.thumb.JPG.51b954fc3b20231648af82bf153c252d.JPG

The final touches
DSCN4594.thumb.jpg.d5ce7a23a81b56d03bcf72795784bc5b.jpg

IMG_1284.thumb.JPG.fa7bc465476970353f6c50aa00bee263.JPG

We dug right in so not too many nicely plated pictures 

IMG_1294.thumb.JPG.bd775b2f9635f529e275a6e07528bb5f.JPG

DSCN4595.thumb.JPG.d340ed0158e41cc657024058250c94e2.JPG

DSCN4597.thumb.JPG.3e3875a760e4fd548b0eec44022b0eb2.JPG

It was all delicious , we had such an amazing day and while DW did not know in the morning what was in store for her that day in Kusadasi ................ she just loved it ! 

Tony 😍
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 7

4 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Did not like the public toilets at Ephesus! IMG_0760.thumb.png.a1d63c7d704ee0124e61135d968862af.pngthe public toilets at Ephesus!

I bet you that you tried if it fits .......

Looking forward to your Redneck reply .....

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

Good afternoon from a comfortable central Texas.  It is 87F, and while it feel like 93F in the sun, it is still pleasant in the shade with the 5mph breeze.  It was a busy morning, but in a different way than I expected.  After the grocery store, I managed to book a much needed haircut for Friday morning.  Friday at Costco, my debit card would not work, and I had to leave everything there.  I called the company, it turns out that when I called to activate the card something went wrong, and it was never activated.  The woman I talked to today discovered the problem, and says it's now activated.  To be safe, I'll also take either cash or my checkbook the next time I go to Costco, since this the only card I have that they will accept.  On a brighter note, I just spent a wonderful hour visiting with my nextdoor neighbor.

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

A bit of a rant, if I may. This is not really directed at @superoma, just that she happened to make a comment today that is often repeated.

It is not easy to come up with 365 different meals (or a least something edible) to feature each day. Despite searching for seasonal meals, comments get made that a salad that might be featured during the winter is a better summer meal, or that a soup is a better winter meal. In addition, meals having a common ingredient (butternut squash, carrot dog) getting featured close to each other. When the list was first created (last November) it was provided to Debi so another set of eyes could view it and suggest changes. The same goes with the wine list and ports.

Anyone is welcome to take over creation of the meal list and create one for next year

Rich, I may comment from time to time about an ingredient being repeated in the meals, but it's is meant in fun.  I have found some new recipes to add to my menus, and thanks to Debbie's @dfish hints and suggestions, I am also more comfortable making changes.  This would not have happened without your hard work assembling the meals, drinks and wines of the day.  Like everyone else, I appreciate all your hard work researching and compiling all the lists for us.

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning to all. Cool here this morning with temp of 48 when dogs and I ventured forth. High today in the mid-70's. Looks like the weather is cooling down but it is also drying out again. Will turn the sprinklers on again tomorrow.

Have not been to Ephesus. I am enjoying the pictures since I had to cancel my Med cruise. I know I would have trouble handling the walking and the crowds. But it all looks wonderful. The shopping looks great too although that is the last thing I need to do these days. I am trying to thin out the closets.

Spent most of yesterday trying to rehome a very sweet older lab-mix gentleman whose owner has had to go into a nursing home which does not allow large dogs. I think I have been successful and am feeling much relieved. He will join his new family this morning and it should be a good fit. If not we have rescue on standby.

Best wishes to all, hope the day treats everyone well. I have nothing special on my schedule except to catch up with what I planned to do yesterday and did not get done. There is lots of that.

Susan

Susan, I hope all your efforts to rehome the dog work, and he is happy in his new home with his new family.

3 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I am back. I have been so busy this summer I haven’t had time to keep up. I spent two weeks helping a friend after her knee surgery and decided she was her own worse enemy. I got back from my week in Tucson and spent 8 days with new friends and got the rest and relaxation I needed. I have missed spending time with the grands and will get some of that today as I pick them up from school. 

I will be home for two weeks and then off to Minnesota my 50 year high school reunion. I am hoping more people sign up. Of the 150 or so who have only a few of the people I want to see are going. It’s a long drive so I may still back out. 

I am sad to see so many of the group have had issues this summer. I will continue to pray things improve. Murphy is on low flow oxygen during the day and CPAP at night. It has freed her up to explore outside the home during the day. Her mom is due to deliver baby two any day now. 

Have a great day!

Lorraine, welcome home after a busy few weeks.  I hope you go to your 50th reunion.  I'm glad Murphy is doing so well, and can explore more of this world she is a wonderful part of.  Best wishes to her mom on a successful delivery any day now.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Today we'll get up only to the low 60's, but then it will heat up to close to 80 by the weekend and lots of sunshine.

Interesting days.. the last cinema we went to was with the DGSs this summer.  I'll pass on the carrot dog, the drink sounds good and I love Albarino wine.  Don't agree with the quote.  We've been to Kusadasi twice.  The first time was only our second cruise in 2006 and we took a HAL tour to Ephasus.  The second time was in 2008 and we sailed with my DS and DBIL.  We got adventurous and took local transportation to Ephasus that time (and guess which time we enjoyed more?) Lots of great memories of our DIY to Ephasus.  

DH is working today, I think I'll get out and do some shopping (not my favorite activity) and probably more gardening.  I have a honey-do list for him the rest of the week. 😉  Looking forward to seeing Rich on Saturday.

Welcome to the Daily @Stpatsirish!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers thank you for the adorable photos of the twins and little Ellie.

My photos of Kusadasi and Ephesus are all pre-digital and similar to the great photos already posted, but here's a photo from online showing Ephesus before they started excavating and now -- still not completely excavated.  

1220251368_Ephesusbeforeandafterexcavation.jpg.8b59fc8f4ae8eec34552da1d16a5c73e.jpg

My carpet we bought in Ephasus -- although I hate shopping at ports, I do still love this carpet. We have it in our bedroom.

carpet.thumb.jpg.03a0440e35fa517a37609519391f3f52.jpg

Celsus Library

Ephasuslibrary.jpg.4933eca489303624a12cff8e3609de18.jpg

My favorite photo of my sister and me relaxing (DIY that day) in Ephasus.

JaniiceandCarolyninEphasus.thumb.jpg.2ecdbb6ed179f171d7e4d1c9a8754cb2.jpg

Great picture of you and your sister, Carolyn.  The other pictures aren't too bad either.  😉

47 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Edi, that is good news about ditching the walker.  

45 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Excellent collection of photos Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Nothing particularly surprising from my appointments this morning.

Roy

Roy, I'm glad there were no surprises at your appointments today.  Could you please email, at your convenience, at mscrystal70 at gmail dot com.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon, it's another hot one here today.  Just had a little shower roll through, the sun is out again.  

Just had to say that today is the 60th anniversary of the Mary Poppins film!  I do remember seeing it as a child.  We took the grands to see the remake a few years back. We also watched the original movie...they said "that's not Mary Poppins!"  I read an article that said the spoon full of sugar song was inspired by the Sabin Polio vaccine...it was in a sugar cube!  

Thanks for all of the pictures today, I'm seeing another tour without being there!  

Thanks to @richwmnfor all of the information and lists, you do a wonderful job! I sure couldn't come up with 365 meal ideas, we have the same things frequently!  

Have a good afternoon. 

• Like 20

31 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

I bet you that you tried if it fits .......

Looking forward to your Redneck reply .....

Maybe with a shoe horn, a really big shoe horn. 

Someone told me how to remember the city near Ephesus. It’s called

“Kissa my tushy” 😀 or something like that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, quilty964 said:

Just had to say that today is the 60th anniversary of the Mary Poppins film!  I do remember seeing it as a child.  We took the grands to see the remake a few years back. We also watched the original movie...they said "that's not Mary Poppins!"  I read an article that said the spoon full of sugar song was inspired by the Sabin Polio vaccine...it was in a sugar cube!  

I  grew up reading the Mary Poppins books (and still have a few of them).  I was very disappointed that they chose Julie Andrews to play Mary Poppins.  She's nothing like the woman in the books, much too sweet.  

My favorite, the Birthday Party

MaryPoppinsbook.jpg.fe38963ef281b3615df5d518c280667e.jpg

Interesting about the spoon full of sugar!  I remember getting my sugar cube 😉  

• Like 20

I am back from all my appointments.

PCP added a chest X-ray and Echo Cardiogram.  Do not have those results yet.

Doc thinks that the spike in C-Reactive Protein may be a result of having Covid.  He also said that it is not unusual that recovery from Covid could take up to 2 months or longer these days.   He is raising Prednisone only by 1 mg. To see if that will help.  Will see him in 6 weeks.

Ortho visit thinks that Physical Therapy will take care of the partial Rotator Cuff tear and he does not think there is a need for surgery.  If PT fails then we will revisit surgery.  I am thanking God very much right now.  Believe me!

Chest X-ray and Echo were ordered because of the fatigue, Shortness of Breath.  While Doc thinks it is a result of Covid, he just wants to be sure.  Waiting on those results.

So that is where I am.  Thankfully better than what I expected.

Also have a referral to Travel Medicine to make sure we are all set for the Cruise to the Amazon.  

At next visit he will prescribe Paxlovid as a preventative measure because I told him that Oceania charges $2000 for the prescription if one gets Covid on the cruise.  So I can take it with me.  We will do the same for DH’s doctor when we see him in Sept.

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Excellent article. Last year I took upon myself to research info from one of these types of report and boy was I wrong. Even the surgeon was won. But the oncologist was right. Bottomline, I will never play Doctor on my own again and just let the experts let me know what needs to be done!

I always check my routine tests online, but my doctor typically emails the same day with his interpretation. Most often it is only to assure me that a result one point outside the reference range is of no importance.

I haven't had the opportunity to view the results of any major tests online, so I don't know what I would do. One medical group here makes everything available, but the other makes nothing available. The patient is supposed to wait about three weeks and then call the doctor's office, where a receptionist will try to avoid bothering to look for the results. When I had an MRI for a shoulder injury, the doctor was on vacation when the results came in and his office staff would tell me nothing, but a rogue physical therapist read the report to me.

• Like 20

OK, I admit, like the rogue PT that helped Paul, I am usually the person who translates for the non medical people in the family. I would not do this for anyone else but waiting is awful and it has been helpful. It was tough when I was reading DD DH’s path reports, etc as he wanted to know things right away and knew I would explain it. I think a lot of us do somewhat better when we have the information we need.

• Like 24

Good afternoon, everyone!  

Rich did send me the dinner lists to

look over and make changes last fall.  Somehow the second carrot dog recipe got by me.  That is hard to believe as you all know how much I “love” carrots.  You’d think it would have jumped off the page at me, but it didn’t.  Or maybe I thought the true carrot lovers would appreciate it.

I take the comments as tongue in cheek and in good fun.  I make them, too.  I know I missed other repeats as well.  Just wait until I get back.  We will be learning 18,000 ways to prepare zucchini.  It is that time of year!!

Sydney was lovely today.  Sharon @Sharon in AZ and I went to Mudic Island where they sang songs of Nova Scotia and served mussels. Then we pier shopped.  They have some good offerings from n the pier.  

• Like 21
  • Haha 6

@Cruising-alongThe article I read this morning said the Mary Poppins books were much different from the movie.  Sounded like the book Mary was a bit grumpy.  Never did read those books, maybe I should!  Our school did a production of Mary Poppins this spring, they did a very good job!  

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, quilty964 said:

@Cruising-alongThe article I read this morning said the Mary Poppins books were much different from the movie.  Sounded like the book Mary was a bit grumpy.  Never did read those books, maybe I should!  Our school did a production of Mary Poppins this spring, they did a very good job!  

Yes, she was grumpy!  As a child she even scared me a little, but I, like the children in the book, came to love her grumpy ways.  Julie Andrews just ruined it for me, sorry but true.  My sisters agreed with me -- we could not picture Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins. 😂

• Like 12

@Cruzin Terri greats news from your appointment this morning; hopefully your shoulder cooperates and surgery will not be necessary. I think it's wonderful you're able to proactively get Paxlovid JIC.

I'll continue 🙏 and positive thoughts for you both.

• Like 18