Distilled water change

3 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

Looks like you can now order distilled water in the online store, and it's only 50% more than it was before!

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/carnival-cruise-line-makes-onboard-change-passengers-demanded

🤑

Seriously, good add, but hacking up the price that much seems like another scam.

So how much is it now 

Yup, just ordered yesterday. $5 per gallon and .90 delivery charge. I would normally just use tap water for a shorter cruise, but need distilled for 25 nights.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Distilled water retails for no more than $2.00 a gallon. Unfortunately, I've yet to find it in smaller quantities.

Found it on Amazon, but significantly more expensive.

11 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Distilled water retails for no more than $2.00 a gallon. Unfortunately, I've yet to find it in smaller quantities.

Not sure what the relevance is to what it retails on land for, like people saying a burger is not as good as their fav restaurant.  I have never seen distilled water in anything less than a gallon anywhere…even on land.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sanger727 said:

This is the first that I've heard of a cruise line charging for distilled water.  I would expect something like this to be provided for free. 

Maybe the crowd that kept putting vodka in wine bottles and re-corking them or wearing rum runners under their clothes on embarkation flavored the view.  Have also heard that people were drinking it (the distilled water…..yuck).

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Maybe the crowd that kept putting vodka in wine bottles and re-corking them or wearing rum runners under their clothes on embarkation flavored the view.  Have also heard that people were drinking it (the distilled water…..yuck).

That's where they went wrong, vodka is the wrong color to pass as wine!😁

I've seen a 6 pack of .5L bottles of distilled water by Smartwater at the grocery store but it sells for almost $8... not exactly the bargain anyone is searching for LOL. A gallon for $5 and a delivery fee of $0.90 is not much cheaper than if you were to try to get just a single gallon delivered to your home through instacart or something, except I think they have a $10 minimum order for delivery. All said and done you're paying ~$3 to not have to lug a gallon of water onboard yourself which doesn't seem like a terrible value to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nc762shooter said:

That's where they went wrong, vodka is the wrong color to pass as wine!😁

I've seen a 6 pack of .5L bottles of distilled water by Smartwater at the grocery store but it sells for almost $8... not exactly the bargain anyone is searching for LOL. A gallon for $5 and a delivery fee of $0.90 is not much cheaper than if you were to try to get just a single gallon delivered to your home through instacart or something, except I think they have a $10 minimum order for delivery. All said and done you're paying ~$3 to not have to lug a gallon of water onboard yourself which doesn't seem like a terrible value to me.

And what's an extra couple of dollars when you are already spending four figures to take the cruise? 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sanger727 said:

This is the first that I've heard of a cruise line charging for distilled water.  I would expect something like this to be provided for free. 

Carnival gives away free cruises instead.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Softservekid1 said:

1. Why cant you guys use tap water for a week in your CPAP's? I do it all the time when traveling.

2. Carnival is $30 BILLION with a B in debt. No guessing why they nickel and dime us for everything.

30+ billion not good enough to adjust prices a little?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Softservekid1 said:

1. Why cant you guys use tap water for a week in your CPAP's? I do it all the time when traveling.

2. Carnival is $30 BILLION with a B in debt. No guessing why they nickel and dime us for everything.

Distilled water inhibits bacterial growth. I'd prefer not inhaling bacteria for 8 hours a night.

2 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

Distilled water inhibits bacterial growth. I'd prefer not inhaling bacteria for 8 hours a night.

been doing it for 40 years. I use distilled water at home only use tap water for a few nights at a time. I did order a gallon to be delivered to my stateroom though😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The article is incorrect in saying that Carnival did not offer distilled water prior to this. It has always been available in the cabin shortly after boarding. DH requests it ahead of time with Special Needs, I remember it costing about $4. The difference is now you can preorder in the online store (And the price has increased)

• Like 1

Their debt is not my problem.

You can bring on distilled water with your CPAP.

Otherwise, you are at the mercy of Carnival. It's $5.90 today - it might be $10 a gallon by the time you actually cruise. Carnival seems to be hiking the prices of everything they sell every few months here lately.

I have to admit I have seen a lot of cheerleading on here - but thanking Carnival for a price hike is a new one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Their debt is not my problem.

You can bring on distilled water with your CPAP.

Otherwise, you are at the mercy of Carnival. It's $5.90 today - it might be $10 a gallon by the time you actually cruise. Carnival seems to be hiking the prices of everything they sell every few months here lately.

I have to admit I have seen a lot of cheerleading on here - but thanking Carnival for a price hike is a new one.

No Doubt the prices will continue to rise and rise. Now the Ports are charging the cruise lines a "cover Charge" to enter their boundaries. Pretty sure this will be my last cruise. 

16 minutes ago, Softservekid1 said:

No Doubt the prices will continue to rise and rise. Now the Ports are charging the cruise lines a "cover Charge" to enter their boundaries. Pretty sure this will be my last cruise. 

The nickle and diming is getting to be too much, that's for sure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Softservekid1 said:

Everybody has options for their vacation travel,  We all speak with dead presidents.  I can tell you land travel has gone up just as much as cruise travel, it is what happens when demand is so high.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Everybody has options for their vacation travel,  We all speak with dead presidents.  I can tell you land travel has gone up just as much as cruise travel, it is what happens when demand is so high.

Most of my discretionary funds go to hunting trips for vacations. I'm an old, retired guy, been on many cruises in my younger years and enjoyed them very much. Now, I just don't like crowds, lines, drunk people, loud people, yada, yada. I'm doing this for my girlfriend who deserves it for putting up with me.😉

• Haha 2