Live From Crystal Symphony - A New Adventure - Reykjavik to Dover

Keith1010

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks, Keith1010 for another Live from and for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Keith1010 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

On the road again, or should I say on another Crystal cruise again.

After a brief stay at home, Anne Marie and I will shortly begin another new adventure. We begin with a pre-cruise stay in Reykjavik, Iceland, before boarding Crystal Symphony on September 8 for two back-to-back cruises, starting in Reykjavik and ending in Dover, England. We last visited this beautiful city in 2021 prior to embarking Endeavor.

We booked these two cruises for several reasons:

A return to Liverpool, which we visited for the first and only time on Crystal Serenity in 2015.  We enjoyed a “Magical Mystery Tour”. Yes, it was magical, with everything related to The Beatles. It’s not like we didn’t attempt a return to Liverpool. We booked a cruise on Symphony for 2021, which included Liverpool, but old Crystal replaced this one due to the Covid pandemic. We didn’t give up and booked a similar cruise on Serenity for 2022, but the cruise got cancelled when the former owner went bankrupt. In many ways, it’s been “A Long and Winding Road” to figure out a way to “Get Back” to Liverpool.

First time visits to Ijmuiden, Belgium & Amsterdam, Netherlands.

A return to Normandy on the 80th anniversary year of D-Day. On our first Symphony cruise in 2003, we had an overnight in Rouen, France and visited Normandy. We will do the same this time to pay our respects to the brave soldiers, many who lost their lives, who were part of this battle.

A return to Crystal Symphony. Our last cruise on Symphony was in 2018. We had an amazing time. In fact, it was so great while on-board we added a cruise for the latter part of 2019 just to return to Symphony. Unfortunately, we had to cancel because of medical reasons.

As they say, the third time is a charm. This applies to returning to Symphony and to Liverpool.  

To get in the spirit of this new adventure, I created a short video trailer. This includes photos from London where we will spend a few days post-cruise. The same guide who took us on a Beatles tour of London before a previous Crystal Cruise will take us on a tour of the countryside. The Beatles tour included a photo stop at the same location where the Beatles had walked for the Abbey Road album cover. Both the album and the photo stop seem like a memory from “Yesterday”. 

Anne Marie and I look forward to sailing with those of you who will be on board for one or both voyages. I see already that Julia and Whipsnade will be on board.

For those of you who are on this voyage, you are very welcome to post here if you would like.

Bags are packed…..Ready to go…….Can’t wait….

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 5

While living in London, we discovered a great way to get that iconic Abbey Road Studio zebra crossing photo--take the bus!  If you sit at the front seat (or stand briefly if the seats are all taken) on the top of the double decker, you will get the correct perspective from the album cover.  Takes a bit of timing and coordination (plus at least two people) but it is pretty easy to do.  One person boards a northbound bus a stop or two before the studios with the camera.  The other prepares to cross from the studio to the east and steps out into the crosswalk as the bus is approaching.  The bus needs to stop, the photo is taken, and then the subject continues across the street.  The photographer hops off at the next stop and switches places.  (Of course, if you have someone else with you more people can be in the photo.)  Here's the list of buses that pass Abbey Road Studios:  https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/stop/490007938E/abbey-road

We toured Liverpool with Tim during our first visit there.  His tour includes admission to John and Paul's childhood homes (National Trust properties).  A fab experience was had by all:  http://www.pooloflifetours.com/beatlesextravaganza.html.

And have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by loriva
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So glad to see you will be on this cruise, Keith.  I experienced the same setbacks as you did in 21 and 22 trying to get to Liverpool.  I have a private tour booked this time so I can cross the Mersey ala Gerry and the Pacemakers and drive on Lime street to remember the Mersey Murders written by Brian Porter. And, of course, see the Beatle sites.  Can hardly wait to return to the Symphony and see old crew friends.  Julia

• Like 2

When in Iceland I hope you go to the Blue Lagoon;.   It is one of our favorite and most relaxing spots ijn the world.  We were there way back when only a tent next to the lagoon and now a large multi-purpose building.

• Like 1

If you have the time in Liverpool Keith, go to the Cavern Club on your own.  It doesn't matter the time of day as they have extraordinary bands playing non-stop.  Just be forewarned that it will be PACKED!  It's only a 15 minute walk from the ship and you will walk by the bronze statues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RLK33853 said:

If you have the time in Liverpool Keith, go to the Cavern Club on your own.  It doesn't matter the time of day as they have extraordinary bands playing non-stop.  Just be forewarned that it will be PACKED!  It's only a 15 minute walk from the ship and you will walk by the bronze statues.

I don’t think Anne Marie and Keith are known for visiting any place that’s PACKED. I bet they have nice photos of the bronze statues, though, from their last visit.

Bon voyage, Keith and Anne Marie! Wonderful video.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RLK33853 said:

Thank you for the suggestion. We visited there on our first visit and yes band was loud. This is not the original Cavern Club as that was taken down.

We did a great tour which included meeting two of the members of the  Quarrymen, visiting the Casbah where the Beatles also performed and meeting with Pete Best's brother.  We visited the area where Paul met John, Penny Land, Strawberry Fields and even met with Freda who was head of their Fan Club.  We are using the same tour guide again. Now if she could arrange a meeting with Paul McCartney that would be great but since he doesn't live there that is unlikely. 

We will revisit some sites and explore new ones.

Many thanks,

Keith 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, May B said:

I don’t think Anne Marie and Keith are known for visiting any place that’s PACKED. I bet they have nice photos of the bronze statues, though, from their last visit.

Bon voyage, Keith and Anne Marie! Wonderful video.

Muriel you know us well.  We did go last time but that was pre-Covid but this time we would avoid packed places. We do have the nice photos of the statues.

Keith

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ctjon said:

When in Iceland I hope you go to the Blue Lagoon;.   It is one of our favorite and most relaxing spots ijn the world.  We were there way back when only a tent next to the lagoon and now a large multi-purpose building.

Thank you. 

We did visit there in 2003. We did the tour that stopped there and then we saw several other areas in and outside the city. Friends went in the Blue Lagoon and one of them had a glow for the rest of the cruise.  Amazing how things changed.  Your analogy of the tent is similar to mine the first of two times I went to the Great Wall in China. First time was early 1990's when you had very few westerners there and we felt like it was just a few of us there compared to now when there are tourists upon tourists.

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jinn said:

So glad to see you will be on this cruise, Keith.  I experienced the same setbacks as you did in 21 and 22 trying to get to Liverpool.  I have a private tour booked this time so I can cross the Mersey ala Gerry and the Pacemakers and drive on Lime street to remember the Mersey Murders written by Brian Porter. And, of course, see the Beatle sites.  Can hardly wait to return to the Symphony and see old crew friends.  Julia

Julia, this reenforced my view of don't give up. I am glad that you, myself and others who tried so hard to get to Liverpool either for their first visit or a chance to revisit can do so.

See you soon.

Keith

If you have the evening free on either Wednesday or Saturday night before you board the ship, I highly recommend this show at the Harpa concert hall:

https://www.harpa.is/en/how-to-become-icelandic-in-60-minutes

A fun look at Iceland culture and Icelanders.

Also recommend the Cir­culeight exhibit at the Harpa, or one of their guided tours of the building.  Or just to visit and enjoy the design.

Have a delightful time.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you have the evening free on either Wednesday or Saturday night before you board the ship, I highly recommend this show at the Harpa concert hall:

Also recommend the Cir­culeight exhibit at the Harpa, or one of their guided tours of the building.  Or just to visit and enjoy the design.

Have a delightful time.

Thank you very much for the good wishes and for the recommendations.

Many thanks,

Keith

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Have a delightful time.

in addition, I highly recommend a guided tour of the Harpa.  We did this quite a few years ago and would think it’s still being offered.

N

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Thank you for the suggestion. We visited there on our first visit and yes band was loud. This is not the original Cavern Club as that was taken down.

We did a great tour which included meeting two of the members of the  Quarrymen, visiting the Casbah where the Beatles also performed and meeting with Pete Best's brother.  We visited the area where Paul met John, Penny Land, Strawberry Fields and even met with Freda who was head of their Fan Club.  We are using the same tour guide again. Now if she could arrange a meeting with Paul McCartney that would be great but since he doesn't live there that is unlikely. 

We will revisit some sites and explore new ones.

Many thanks,

Keith 

Wow - sounds like you have a great guide.

Yes, the Cavern Club is a replica as the original was apparently demolished due to the subway needing the location.  The new one though is still on Mathew Street and apparently utilized a great number of bricks from the original club that had been demolished.  For others that may read this, be forewarned though - as I said it is PACKED all day long.  We were there post Covid and other than when we were sipping our drinks we wore our masks.

• Like 1

A trip down Memory Lane from first visit to Liverpool.

Outside the Cavern Club.

DSC_4132.jpeg.559bc34858d9c3a5a09b33a1e88da88a.jpeg

Pete Best's brother. The mother was very involved and The Beatles performed at the Casbah.  They painted the interior walls.

DSC_4064.jpeg.6587dbd282989624f1640dfb14bec200.jpeg

We spent time with two of the Quarry Men.  Learned a lot.

DSC_4094.jpeg.6403262c2f33c74f092b0695fa2648e0.jpeg

And Freda. Google it and you can watch the movie.

We met with her where else but at the Hard Days Night Hotel.

Keith

DSC_4127.jpeg.e267086d30ee697d29c06625361d1aa5.jpeg

Keith

• Like 3

Have a great cruise Keith. We are also going to be several days in Island starting at the end of this week. Our ship starts in Hamburg and we are headed to New York. It looks like there is an interesting nature show going on at the moment in Island.

Ivi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

A trip down Memory Lane from first visit to Liverpool.

Outside the Cavern Club.

DSC_4132.jpeg.559bc34858d9c3a5a09b33a1e88da88a.jpeg

Pete Best's brother. The mother was very involved and The Beatles performed at the Casbah.  They painted the interior walls.

DSC_4064.jpeg.6587dbd282989624f1640dfb14bec200.jpeg

We spent time with two of the Quarry Men.  Learned a lot.

DSC_4094.jpeg.6403262c2f33c74f092b0695fa2648e0.jpeg

And Freda. Google it and you can watch the movie.

We met with her where else but at the Hard Days Night Hotel.

Keith

DSC_4127.jpeg.e267086d30ee697d29c06625361d1aa5.jpeg

Keith

The Freda story is wonderful, as is the movie! We loved all the Beatles venues, and the ferry 'cross the Mersy too.😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Have a great cruise Keith. We are also going to be several days in Island starting at the end of this week. Our ship starts in Hamburg and we are headed to New York. It looks like there is an interesting nature show going on at the moment in Island.

Ivi

Well, apparently my specialty is Beatles' tours.  (Our dogs are named Paul and Ringo, so go figure...)

In Hamburg, Stefanie Hempel gives a fantastic tour of the sites where the Beatles' played during their formative years in Hamburg:  http://www.hempels-musictour.de/  We were too late for her seasonal tours but booked a private tour in December--it was COLD, but great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestion. We have got tickets for the Elbphilarmonie in Hamburg. The Pittsburg Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Honeck. Unfortunately we are not staying long in Hamburg this time. But I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind for the next time.

Ivi

• Like 2

As I mentioned, our first voyage on Crystal Symphony was in 2003.  Like the Crystal Harmony Cruise in 2002, we also celebrated our Wedding Anniversary on this cruise and our children joined us for this cruise as they did the prior year.  

As part of this cruise, we visited Normandy for the first time when we had an overnight in Rouen, France like this cruise.

Our adventure has already begun as we flew today to Chicago where we stay overnight in preparation for tomorrow's flight to Reykjavik, Iceland. The last time we flew to Iceland we flew to JFK and later that evening we flew to Reykjavik for a pre-cruise stay before boarding Crystal Endeavor.  This time we thought we would change it up. 

Good news. Flight took off on time. Flight attendant was superb, and food was better than normal.  Flight arrived 25 minutes early and gate was open. Flight was full but most people must have been transiting through since there was one other couple waiting for luggage and only four pieces: our 2 and their 2. We requested early check in at the hotel and we only had a short wait which was great as we arrived a lot earlier than we had projected.

Iceland here we come.

Cheers,

Anne Marie & Keith 

Photos include a collage from that 2003 Symphony Cruise. With an overnight stop in Rosyth, Scotland we were able to see Anne Marie’s sister and husband who lived in Scotland, a cousin who coincidentally was visiting, an evening at the Military Tattoo and a visit the next day to St. Andrews. Another memory which seems like yesterday rather than twenty-one years ago. 

IMG_4369.jpeg.427880d2e5e9c2edd1127db2c18de483.jpeg

IMG_4938.jpeg.25d27af4f9b7284a380d0640d1f588f5.jpeg

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 4

Bon Voyage!   Looking forward to hearing your report from Symphony. We first sailed on her in 2003 as well. Our sentimental favorite😍 Hope you have a wonderful trip!

• Like 1

Greetings from Chicago O'Hare where we are waiting for our flight over to Iceland.

We are at the Club Lounge.

It's been many years since we were at O'Hare.  

Check In was a breeze and a very friendly agent.

TSA pre-check was fast and efficient.

Walk over to the Concourse was easy as was getting to the lounge.

Lounge is fine

When we sailed out of Iceland in 2021 on Endeavor we flew from home city to JFK and later onto Iceland.  At least in 2021 I was shocked at how crowded JFK was and the airline lounge was a zoo.  

From another thread I was thinking of change including technology.

How nice at the hotel that we could use our iPhones to know when the room was ready and to unlock the door and to check out and to get our bill via e-mail.

And the airline App has such good information. 

Yes, flying itself is not like it used to be.  I am glad I did all the business travel when it was easier and on board amenities nicer.  But it is so nice to see the continued enhancements of technology.

Do you remember when you had to book your air travel through a travel agency?

Do you remember when you might visit your local hotel to have them make a reservation for you at a sister property so as not to make a long distance call. Now I was young for that but I remember going with my father and how they used a teletype to confirm the reservation.

And do you remember when on cruise ships there was no internet?  In fact, that is why we started cruising because unlike al land vacation when I would tell Anne Marie you and the kids enjoy and I'll meet you in an hour but the hour turned into hours because of e-mail and phone calls on the cruises I could disconnect.

As they say, we've come along way baby.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

On 9/2/2024 at 3:51 PM, Ibis said:

Bon Voyage!   Looking forward to hearing your report from Symphony. We first sailed on her in 2003 as well. Our sentimental favorite😍 Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thank you for the good wishes.

Keith

Update from the flight deck we are scheduled for landing in 23 minutes. Left gate a few minutes late at Chicago O'Hare but arriving about 15 minutes early in Reykjavik, Iceland.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3