Is it necessary to have to have the app?

mek

On 9/2/2024 at 8:22 PM, mek said:

Can I board, get on and off the ship in port, and in general function just fine onboard without it?

You can. But the app is the key to all ship information from your room bill (monitor misc charges daily) to activities to making reservations. You “should” have the app and use it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

You can. But the app is the key to all ship information from your room bill (monitor misc charges daily) to activities to making reservations. You “should” have the app and use it. 

Can't you do all those things through the television?

Just now, julig22 said:

Depends on the ship. Some of the older ships do not have a connection to your account on the TV.

We were on the Prima. That allowed us to do those things through the tv.

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Last I looked, Prima is not exactly an older ship LOL. 

I was not implying it was. I was only stating that we were on the Prima as the reason I asked about doing things through the television.

Just now, ontheweb said:

I was not implying it was. I was only stating that we were on the Prima as the reason I asked about doing things through the television.

In other words, it is NOT necessary to have the app.

• Thanks 1

Necessary? No. Convenient? Definitely. I used it to check activity schedules quite frequently and all account info (fees charged to it). And - I think if you have the internet package - you do need it to access the internet (but not sure - I don't use the internet package).

I used my app all the time. Daughter/son never once  used their apps. And no - it isn't required for getting on/off the ship or anything important like that. But if you have a smart phone, why NOT have the app downloaded in advance in case you want it?

Edited by JSar

12 hours ago, JSar said:

Necessary? No. Convenient? Definitely. I used it to check activity schedules quite frequently and all account info (fees charged to it). And - I think if you have the internet package - you do need it to access the internet (but not sure - I don't use the internet package).

I used my app all the time. Daughter/son never once  used their apps. And no - it isn't required for getting on/off the ship or anything important like that. But if you have a smart phone, why NOT have the app downloaded in advance in case you want it?

I'm the OP and I probably will download the app but more than likely won't use it - I don't have any problem with having it on my phone, but my original question was if it was essential to be on the ship, which has been answered. 

I recall two years ago, right after ships started sailing agin, Royal was having us do muster on their app - that was the reason I asked.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zqvol said:

The app might be useful if you carry your phone around. Mine never leaves the cabin so the app does me no good. 

I don't carry mine around either but when I'm on a ship that does not have account info on the TV it can be quite useful.

6 minutes ago, Eggs2Go said:

On the ship, how do you access the App? Do you need the ship's wi-fi service or internet? Can my phone be in airplane mode when using the App? 

Yes, you need your phone in airplane mode to prevent it from roaming on the ship cell service that is very expensive. Always keep airplane mode turned on

You connect your phone to the ship wifi network, the wifi name is something like NCL_Internet_ShipName 

wifi internet package is not needed nor required. the app works without the internet 

Thanks. You make info clear and easy. I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth to smartphone usage. (But prefer phone turned off and in the safe; yet I understand could be useful, especially to follow my account.)