Crown & Anchor D+ amenity selection is a royal nuisance

I just spent 50 minutes on the phone with RCI to select my Diamond Plus Amenity. What a nuisance for a cheap bag or bottle of wine or snack! And if you don't call, you get nothing. How do I know? I was on several cruises as D+ before realizing we were entitled to this amenity. While onboard on my last cruise, I asked the loyalty person about it, and he scolded me for not requesting the perk in advance, and said he couldn't do anything about it. I think they should have a default selection, so at least you get something when you become eligible. If they normally provide some sort of "welcome to D+" message with instructions, we did not get it. It's also hard to understand why they can't allow a selection to be made online. An intern could write that code: Pick one and only one of these items. Done. I can't imagine this is a good use of their phone reps' time. But alas, on to the phones.

The amenities flyer / PDF says "To update or change your amenity preferences, please call your dedicated Crown & Anchor Society team." I called the number provided, and they warned me of a 20 minute hold time. Without hanging up, I called the main RCI number from another phone. Same prompts, same wait time. The first rep to answer said she couldn't handle the request because I'm in a group booking (I booked one cabin through a travel agent), so she would transfer me to C&A. But I called the C&A number! After another ~20 minute wait, someone answered who had been given no context for the call. I provided my info again, and she did seem to understand the request quickly and said she recorded it.

The whole process seems terribly inefficient and unnecessary. In the old days, they picked a perk and left it in your room. Most of the items we got in the early 2000s as a lower-tier cruiser were nicer than what you get now, and you would get one per person.

Advice: If you need to select an amenity, make sure to make a selection for everyone in your home. The C&A rep informed me that they go by the preferences of the "lead passenger," which may change on each booking if you (or your TA) are not consistent, or if you sail separately.

• Like 1

We became D+ in 2022 and my husband called, waited maybe 5 minutes on hold.. and that was it.

How do you know how it was in the old days if you weren’t D+ till recently?

Edited by Tatka
  • Haha 1

Interesting that some people got default selections. The on-board loyalty person I spoke to acted as if I asked for a free car and was very dismissive since I had not made a request in advance.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tatka said:

We became D+ in 2022 and my husband called, waited maybe 5 minutes on hold.. and that was it.

How do you know how it was in the old days if you weren’t D+ till recently?

Yeah, the irony is that there were loyalty gifts to levels below D+, like ball caps, hanging toiletry bags, etc.

1 minute ago, EricJ said:

Yeah, the irony is that there were loyalty gifts to levels below D+, like ball caps, hanging toiletry bags, etc.

Those are not benefits, but random gifts. 
This amenity is for a guest to pick.

BTW, don’t forget

- at 340 points you can pick 2 

- at 525 points you can pick 3

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I just spent 50 minutes on the phone with RCI to select my Diamond Plus Amenity. What a nuisance for a cheap bag or bottle of wine or snack! And if you don't call, you get nothing. How do I know? I was on several cruises as D+ before realizing we were entitled to this amenity. While onboard on my last cruise, I asked the loyalty person about it, and he scolded me for not requesting the perk in advance, and said he couldn't do anything about it. I think they should have a default selection, so at least you get something when you become eligible. If they normally provide some sort of "welcome to D+" message with instructions, we did not get it. It's also hard to understand why they can't allow a selection to be made online. An intern could write that code: Pick one and only one of these items. Done. I can't imagine this is a good use of their phone reps' time. But alas, on to the phones.

The amenities flyer / PDF says "To update or change your amenity preferences, please call your dedicated Crown & Anchor Society team." I called the number provided, and they warned me of a 20 minute hold time. Without hanging up, I called the main RCI number from another phone. Same prompts, same wait time. The first rep to answer said she couldn't handle the request because I'm in a group booking (I booked one cabin through a travel agent), so she would transfer me to C&A. But I called the C&A number! After another ~20 minute wait, someone answered who had been given no context for the call. I provided my info again, and she did seem to understand the request quickly and said she recorded it.

The whole process seems terribly inefficient and unnecessary. In the old days, they picked a perk and left it in your room. Most of the items we got in the early 2000s as a lower-tier cruiser were nicer than what you get now, and you would get one per person.

Advice: If you need to select an amenity, make sure to make a selection for everyone in your home. The C&A rep informed me that they go by the preferences of the "lead passenger," which may change on each booking if you (or your TA) are not consistent, or if you sail separately.

It's too late now but in the future if you ever want to change your amenity just have the LA do it on board.  They can't change your current sailing but they can easily change your preference for future sailings

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Even if you select, you still may not get what you selected.  I selected 2 bottles of either pinot grigio or chardonnay, however, I get either a bottle of red and a white.  Sometimes my 2nd is champagne. And sometimes I only get 1 and have to chase down the 2nd.😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have called to select/change my wine selection a few times without any issues and with very little to no wait on the phone. I still have a few dozen bottles of wine I got on a ship at home that I have not drank yet. 

That's because they're not drinkable! 🤣😉

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Ken at the beach said:

It's too late now but in the future if you ever want to change your amenity just have the LA do it on board.  They can't change your current sailing but they can easily change your preference for future sailings

That is exactly what I do.   And in fact am about to find Diego on Serenade to change my selection again today before we disembark on Tuesday.  They are always very happy to help.   Never had a problem.  

4 hours ago, Kbonner said:

How about RCI switch back to the old hassle-free procedure? You could change your amenities ONLINE

That would be nice. But ranting for four paragraphs and multiple posts is just over the top. IMO, of course. YMMV. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

that is the old list, this is the current one and as usual it is a down grade.     

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/cas-amenities-jan-2024-final.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3