Princess Plus or Premier Purchase on Day Two

We have an upcoming 7 night cruise on the Ruby Princess.  The Princess website is showing a cost of $915.60 to upgrade from standard to Plus (for 2) or $1373.40 for Premiere for 2.  Not sure if the increased cost is due to an increase in the cost of the Princess Protection Plan, or if they're adding gratuities for the beverage plan.

If we upgraded to Plus on board, would we still owe $915.60 for Plus, or would it be $840?

• Like 1

@jennaja 

If you get the Princess Vacation Protection, only then will your insurance increase by a rate of 9% if you purchase the Plus cruise package ahead of time. Basically by adding the plus package you’re increasing the cost of your cruise so therefore the insurance goes up a little bit.

Everything for the plus plan is included already, no extra fees.

If you wait until you get onboard within an hour or so up to 48 hours, you may pay to upgrade from standard to plus($840. total for 2 passengers for 7 day voyage) . You may do this on your app or with a crew member once onboard and use the credit card you have on file.

Edited by arizonaperson

On 9/11/2024 at 9:09 AM, voljeep said:

boarding without a package .... 7 day cruise

1st day charges

6 beers or so, couple glasses of wine, martini(s)

pay the 14.99 to use ocean now

grats

buy a day of wifi/internet

lunch at alfredo's

Dinner at Crown Grill

sticker shock when we view folio - decide to purchase Premier90

DO ALL THOSE DAY 1 CHARGES "GO AWAY" SINCE WE ARE CHARGED THE FULL (7) DAYS OF THE CRUISE FOR PREMIER IF WE PURCHASE THE MORNING OF DAY 2??

In regards to your question about prior charges "going away" after purchase of a drink package. I just had an experience with that situation a few weeks ago on the Emerald.

I purchased the package immediately upon boarding (at least I thought I had), the crew member scanned my medallion, called me by name, said thank you, and  off I went to the closest bar. Later in the day I noticed several bar charged on my folio, I went straight to customer service and was told that I had not purchased the package and they had no history of me attempting to purchase the package. Customer service put the package charge through, but advised that they could not remove bar charges accrued prior to purchase of package. I asked to speak to a manager, the manager removed the charges, after explaining the policy again.  However, they would not remove the Boston City Tax that is applied to drinks purchased while in port. So...be prepared to protest if you purchase the package on the 2nd day, and prior drink purchases are not removed.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, windstar said:

In regards to your question about prior charges "going away" after purchase of a drink package. I just had an experience with that situation a few weeks ago on the Emerald.

I purchased the package immediately upon boarding (at least I thought I had), the crew member scanned my medallion, called me by name, said thank you, and  off I went to the closest bar. Later in the day I noticed several bar charged on my folio, I went straight to customer service and was told that I had not purchased the package and they had no history of me attempting to purchase the package. Customer service put the package charge through, but advised that they could not remove bar charges accrued prior to purchase of package. I asked to speak to a manager, the manager removed the charges, after explaining the policy again.  However, they would not remove the Boston City Tax that is applied to drinks purchased while in port. So...be prepared to protest if you purchase the package on the 2nd day, and prior drink purchases are not removed.

Even when you have a package you will have to pay any local taxes on drinks you get while in port 

5 hours ago, memoak said:

Even when you have a package you will have to pay any local taxes on drinks you get while in port 

I know in the Canadian ports PCL only have one bar per deck open. Are there Canadian taxes or only in US ports? If so is it all US ports? 

6 hours ago, memoak said:

We've never had to pay LA county sales tax when having the package and ordering drinks in port. When we didn't have the package, we did have to pay the taxes.  Same with San Diego, San Francisco, etc. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

We've never had to pay LA county sales tax when having the package and ordering drinks in port. When we didn't have the package, we did have to pay the taxes.  Same with San Diego, San Francisco, etc. 

it tends to be hit and miss. Some ships hold all invoices until they hit the open seas to avoid the taxes. I have had packages every cruise since Princess started them and sometimes they show up and sometimes they do

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, paddingtonbear said:

Sorry I can’t edit my post above. We have Plus Packagr and I was wondering about the ports on the Canada and New England cruise ports. 

We cruised last year FLL to Quebec City with Plus and no taxes on drinks in port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dog, our cruise is 10 days. So I gather the Premier package would be $900 for the week. I know at one time the Plus (guess that is what it is called) package was $60, but I gather it is no longer.

Someone just ask if there were two people in the room if they could have different packages, but I thought???? that I read where they both had to have the same package, but I may be wrong.

14 minutes ago, beshears said:

Dog, our cruise is 10 days. So I gather the Premier package would be $900 for the week. I know at one time the Plus (guess that is what it is called) package was $60, but I gather it is no longer.

Someone just ask if there were two people in the room if they could have different packages, but I thought???? that I read where they both had to have the same package, but I may be wrong.

You both have to have the same fare package but not the same beverage package (called the same thing!)

Beverage package only includes drinks, nothing more, unlike the fare package.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beshears said:

Rosevew, thank you. We were not planning on just getting a drink package, but the "whole" package, or more than likely the Premier package.

The first two in the cabin must get the same Plus or Premier Package.

Did I say something different?

5 hours ago, beshears said:

The premier package is $90 per person per day. The plus package is $60 per person per day. First two in each cabin must have the same package 

6 hours ago, beshears said:

$900/ per person for 10 day voyage.( Premier)

yes, the first two people in the cabin need to have the same cruise fare package.

Princess Premier
Best Value

Sail as carefree as possible

Only $90 per day per guest

Princess Plus

Save on things you’ll probably do anyway

Only $60 per day per guest
Edited by arizonaperson

On 9/11/2024 at 1:54 PM, startedwithamouse said:

Princess Plus or Premier Purchase on Day Two, Do you get charged for day one?

We know how to do the math, have all the handouts, etc.

Is there someone who has purchased the bundle on day TWO, are you charged for day one? 

Not interested in hearsay, or speculation from cruisers who haven't cruised in many years.

We were just on a B2B and had only purchased the package for the first leg of the cruise.  We had a lot of OBC for the second leg so, decided to wait to buy the package.  
We had gifts of wine from the first leg and even a complimentary specialty dinner for the second leg so, we chose to buy the package on day 2 of that cruise.  This was less than a month ago so, it is current information.  The package WAS prorated so it did NOT include any package charges the first day.  
That’s may change but this was my experience one month ago.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We were just on a B2B and had only purchased the package for the first leg of the cruise.  We had a lot of OBC for the second leg so, decided to wait to buy the package.  
We had gifts of wine from the first leg and even a complimentary specialty dinner for the second leg so, we chose to buy the package on day 2 of that cruise.  This was less than a month ago so, it is current information.  The package WAS prorated so it did NOT include any package charges the first day.  

Thank you! You answered our question.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Did you pay the crew appreciation separately for the day 1 without the package?

On 9/14/2024 at 3:19 PM, startedwithamouse said:

You are correct!  We’ve never paid taxes on our drinks while in port when we’ve had the package.  (Except for in the situation below)

On 9/14/2024 at 12:53 AM, windstar said:

We were erroneously charged for wine corkage on the last night of the cruise while in port overnight on a bottle of wine we bought onboard.  When I sent in for the refund after the cruise, I explained the charge was not valid.  They refunded me the corkage and service charge for the corkage but not the Los Angeles local tax.  That was fine as I realized they already paid it to the county/city.  I was really more concerned with the nearly $25 charge.  

On 9/14/2024 at 8:33 AM, memoak said:

Not in my experience.  I’ve NEVER been charged for local taxes when I have a package while ordering a drink while the ship is in port.  

11 minutes ago, dog said:

Did you pay the crew appreciation separately for the day 1 without the package?

Yes.  We didn’t have any other charges.  
Of note, we were each refunded $10 for the shipping of the medallion when charged for the package, even though it was a B2B.  Now I mention this, they will probably get right on fixing that in their system.  😂 

Anyway, that more than covered the gratuities for one of us.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Thank you! You answered our question.  

I had a feeling that is exactly the information you were looking for.  I asked the same question onboard through someone trying to tell the packages.  One said no and the next one said yes!  So, I think they are even confused.  I promised the sale would go to the one who said yes and he was correct.  
One could even look at their app and will see the prorated amount on day 2.  

Edited by Cruise Raider