Vancouver - USD or CAD

Need-a-vacation

Will I need to acquire CAD for 48 hours in Vancouver? I would use my credit card for most purchases, but should I plan too need CAD for small purchases and tips (like for tour guides)?

Also, if I want to do laundry at my hotel, what will I need? 

Any recommendations on the least bad way to get CAD of I need that? 

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Easy way to get CAD is to use an ATM once you arrive.  If you just need a tiny bit of cash for tips, gratuities, etc, take $40 CAD of the ATM

This. The best exchange rate you'll get is at an ATM. But make sure is is an ATM that is part of an actual bank-- not a third party ATM. 

• Like 2

From a convenience factor, getting some Canadian currency from an ATM is probably the most convenient.  But you need to be knowledgeable of your financial institutions/account's fee schedule:

Some banks may charge a fee to withdraw from a non-network ATM or a foreign ATM. 

Some may charge a forex fee on the currency exchange (similar to the credit card forex fee). 

The local ATM (even if it's a big 5 Canadian bank ATM) may charge a fee (ie $2-3) if your card is not from their ATM network.  

Alternatively, if you are near these currency exchanges, I would recommend them to exchange greenbacks to loonies:

Charlie's Currency Exchange on Granville Street

Vancouver Bullion and Currency Exchange on West Pender (about three blocks from Canada Place).

1 hour ago, Gsel said:

I agree, never needed to change money and dollars were readily accepted.

I spend a bunch of time in Vancouver and I would not say that dollars are readily accepted. In the relatively low instances where they are, mainly only in tourist spots, it's an absolutely terrible way to spend money right now as they will accept USD 1:1.

$1 USD right now is currently worth $1.36 CAD. Just throwing your money away by using USD. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the input. 

As long as I can get through the airport and getting to my hotel near downtown without CAD, then I can figure out how to get a little bit. 

I did the ATM thing last time we passed through Vancouver because I thought we'd need it for bag storage fees at Amtrak.  It seems like it turned out to be a lot of extra headache (and schlepping around in the rain dragging our bags) and I don't think we needed it for the bags.  Although we seem to have none left, so we must have spent it somehow!

2 hours ago, Need-a-vacation said:

As long as I can get through the airport and getting to my hotel near downtown without CAD, then I can figure out how to get a little bit.

If it were me I would get $50 or $100 out at an airport ATM when I arrive-- the majority of where I typically would need cash (vs being able to pay with a credit card) would be tipping getting from the airport to my hotel room. 

14 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

If it were me I would get $50 or $100 out at an airport ATM when I arrive-- the majority of where I typically would need cash (vs being able to pay with a credit card) would be tipping getting from the airport to my hotel room. 

Or, just go to the International Currency Exchange at YVR and purchase some CAD.  Currently, they'll give about 129 CAD for 100 USD; the currency exchange I usually use in Ottawa will give me 134 CAD.  If a person only wants to get some 'walking around' money immediately upon arrival in Canada, just pay a bit of a premium for the convenience of doing it at the airport.  

If  a traveller wanted to exchange a few thousands of dollars, I'd suggest there are better alternatives.

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Bank ATMs generally have better rates and especially fewer fees than Currency Exchange kiosks-- even for smaller exchanges. 

Yes, I agree.  I'd suggest it's easier and quicker to walk out of the arrivals hall, go to the foreign currency exchange desk likely located nearby and swallowing the two or three dollars on the exchange just to get a few bucks in whatever denomination you want.

When you use your credit card, if the merchant offers to charge you in US$ say NO and ask to be charged in CAD. Your credit card will use the interbank rate to make the conversion from CAD to USD and will give you a better rate than the merchant will.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Need-a-vacation said:

Thank you everyone for the input. 

Getting to downtown from YVR only needs a credit card (with no foreign transaction fees) via a taxi (fixed price) or the Sky Train (ticket kiosks).

18 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I spend a bunch of time in Vancouver and I would not say that dollars are readily accepted. In the relatively low instances where they are, mainly only in tourist spots, it's an absolutely terrible way to spend money right now as they will accept USD 1:1.

$1 USD right now is currently worth $1.36 CAD. Just throwing your money away by using USD. 

Yes, this is true, but I did not mind it for smaller transactions.  If I can afford to be in Vancouver, I can afford the .36 cent loss. 😲

5 minutes ago, julia said:

Yes, this is true, but I did not mind it for smaller transactions.  If I can afford to be in Vancouver, I can afford the .36 cent loss. 😲

To each their own. I travel professionally and spend close to 300 night a year away and much of that in foreign countries. I can assure you doing things like that can add up quickly.  

If it's your 3 days a year in Canada and that's how you want to spend money-- totally get that and that's your choice. But for a forum like this it's not sound travel advice for others. 

8 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

To each their own. I travel professionally and spend close to 300 night a year away and much of that in foreign countries. I can assure you doing things like that can add up quickly.  

If it's your 3 days a year in Canada and that's how you want to spend money-- totally get that and that's your choice. But for a forum like this it's not sound travel advice for others. 

The OP already had their "travel advice" and can plan accordingly.

Thanks to everyone for such helpful information and insight.

I may have a few coins leftover from our last trip and that might be enough to at least buy a water or something on my way to the hotel if I need it. 

I plan to mostly use credit cards, but I want to have a little bit for small purchases.

If I have some leftover, will princess accept it onboard and apply it to my folio account?

12 hours ago, julia said:

Yes, this is true, but I did not mind it for smaller transactions.  If I can afford to be in Vancouver, I can afford the .36 cent loss.

And thank you for pointing out this truth.  It's easy to get caught up in trying to optimize all the time, and lose sight of the big picture - that spending $15 USD for something that might have cost $10 USD if I did the exchange may not be worth the effort in the overall picture of life.  Pocket money for a soda or souvenir will probably not matter what exchange rate I get.

On 9/16/2024 at 1:47 PM, julia said:

We've spent LOTS of time in Vancouver and have never once used CAD. While the above advice is sound, please know that CAD is not necessary.

Please know that the CDN$ is the only legal currency in Canada.  Yes some touristy spots will take the USD but give you a very unfavourable exchange rate.

Be a nice and respectful tourist, if you have to use cash get some CDN$.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseryyc said:

Please know that the CDN$ is the only legal currency in Canada.  Yes some touristy spots will take the USD but give you a very unfavourable exchange rate.

Be a nice and respectful tourist, if you have to use cash get some CDN$.

Don't forget these stalwarts of the Canadian economy.  Like Bank of Canada notes, they've largely been replaced by electronic 'money' much like credit and debit cards.

image.png.7bcff40b49c8253e1c03e4b31bd3d038.png

• Haha 1