COVID After Cruise

Murray's Pop

5 hours ago, Murray's Pop said:

We have done 3 post COVID cruises and our daughter has done one.  ALL of us have tested positive for COVID after returning from these cruises.  No symptoms at all during the cruise but within 2-3 days after getting back had symptoms, took test and was positive.  Fortunately all cases were very mild with no complications.  

I was just wondering, how often is this occurring generally.  Have we just been "unlucky" or is this happening often.   

I've done at least a dozen cruises since the restart (not all on Princess).  I've only tested positive for COVID-19 once after a cruise.  I suspect I got it last year sometime, but didn't test to confirm it.  That one was a long way away from any of my cruises.

I suspect I've been a little lucky in this regard and you've been UNlucky.  I'm glad all your cases so far have been mild and hope it continues. 🙏

P.S.  Thanks everyone for the stories and memories.

I think it’s much easier to avoid colds, flu and of course norovirus on a cruise because those are more likely spread by touch. Which with good hand washing can pretty much avoid it. I’ve never got those illnesses while cruising.

With Covid, it’s an airborne virus so much harder to avoid.
Since the restart of cruising, I’ve been on 6 cruises and one land vacation to Hawaii. I got Covid once after my Princess 10 day cruise. 

• Like 2

you can take all the precautions you like such as wearing masks, hand sanitising...etc... but if other passengers are going to go to the theatre, buffet, bars, pool area while they are sick / unwell then their germs will spread to others... simple as that.

there are probably some people on cruise ships who think that because they've paid thousands of $ for their cruise, they're not going to let a little thing like covid get in the way of their enjoyment.

• Like 4

Reading this thread so far you would think that EVERYONE catches COVID ALL THE TIME on a cruise ship. This is not true.

We've been on 14 cruises since 2021 and 142 days. Had to post this - NO COVID for either of us. We do get the vaccines but do not go out of our way wearing masks or sanitizing everything in sight. We just live our lives and don't worry about it.

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

you can take all the precautions you like such as wearing masks, hand sanitising...etc... but if other passengers are going to go to the theatre, buffet, bars, pool area while they are sick / unwell then their germs will spread to others... simple as that.

there are probably some people on cruise ships who think that because they've paid thousands of $ for their cruise, they're not going to let a little thing like covid get in the way of their enjoyment.

People can be sick and not know it and show no symptoms but spread it. Thats what makes Covid so different, 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

People can be sick and not know it and show no symptoms but spread it. Thats what makes Covid so different, 

Just as I mentioned, the day we got home I made us a Shrimp Louie salad with a really flavorful homemade dressing.  It wasn’t until I couldn’t taste a thing I was eating that I realized I had Covid.  I just hope I didn’t spread it to anyone else while not knowing I had it.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

yes this is true..... I'm mainly talking about the people who are coughing / sneezing and clearly unwell.

these people should use common sense and stay in their stateroom until they feel well again

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just as I mentioned, the day we got home I made us a Shrimp Louie salad with a really flavorful homemade dressing.  It wasn’t until I couldn’t taste a thing I was eating that I realized I had Covid.  I just hope I didn’t spread it to anyone else while not knowing I had it.  

You could have but if you don’t know, you don’t know.
When I got it after my cruise, same day I got home, I felt fine except I had to keep clearing my throat.

I  was returning to work the next day so I thought I would take a test just to be safe and it came up positive right away. I felt fine the entire time I was quarantining at home. I’m sure I unknowingly spread it around too on the last days of my cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muffinz said:

yes this is true..... I'm mainly talking about the people who are coughing / sneezing and clearly unwell.

these people should use common sense and stay in their stateroom until they feel well again

Again though, coughing & sneezing are not necessarily an indicator of being sick. I know one of my family members medication they took made them cough all the time. 
If people are really sick, of course they should stay away from others. I understand that’s what you’re saying.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I know one of my family members medication they took made them cough all the time. 

That would be me, also.  One of my medications has a dry cough side effect.  Yes, people look at me when I cough now.  Sorry, I can't help it.  If I were having other symptoms (runny nose, loss of taste, whatever) I would stay in my stateroom, otherwise I'm out and about.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Murray's Pop said:

I was just wondering, how often is this occurring generally.  Have we just been "unlucky" or is this happening often.   

I haven't been on a cruise since 2019. Our first cruise post covid is next week. I have had vaccines and boosters and had covid 3 times starting in 2022 two years after the original out break. The last time I had covid was mid August this year.  There is no way of telling if you got sick from the cruise or from traveling to and from the cruise.  Covid is not what it was in 2020. I didn't even run a temperature or was all that bothered by it this last time. The latest vaccine wasn't even out when I got it so now I don't see the need for a vaccine. I have had the latest mutation naturally. At home we didn't take any precautions as my wife was hoping to get it before our cruise. She never got sick. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

I evaded Covid for two full years then promptly hit the jackpot twice from cruising. Mild symptoms both times. First time I sat next to a woman in the theater who was clearly sick with all the Covid symptoms. I was vaccinated, had my N95 mask on and thought I was safe. Big mistake. Should have gotten up and left. Second time I likely caught it from an unsanitized karaoke mike after countless people sprayed droplets all over it singing. DW didn't go karaoke and was totally fine. Needless to say, I no longer go karaoke on cruises any more.

10 hours ago, Muffinz said:

Sad but true, lady on the elevator told another passenger her husband was sick the last three days, but she wasn't being stuck in the cabin with what it cost 😢. We got off the elevator.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Sad but true, lady on the elevator told another passenger her husband was sick the last three days, but she wasn't being stuck in the cabin with what it cost 😢. We got off the elevator.

I don't blame you for getting off the elevator, however, cabin mates don't have to quarantine.  They didn't even tell my dh to wear a mask (although he was already doing it so maybe that is why).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Muffinz said:

We recently returned to cruising and sadly we came home with Covid too. Not wanting to spread the virus, we isolated ourselves in our room for the remainder of the cruise.  
After 4-1/2 years of avoiding Covid, we walk on a cruise ship and 5 days later we both had Covid.  We took every precaution, masked in elevators or crowded areas, washed our hands frequently, avoided crowded areas and we still caught Covid.

I wonder if the virus is in the ship’s ventilation system?

What are your thoughts?   

16 hours ago, crawford said:

Covid is occurring all the time. Fortunately, symptoms are generally mild.

not for all of us. Hubs got it on April cruise and June cruise this year alone. April covid was very tough, loads of awful cough and general misery. June variant just brought a lot of misery.

Hubs is healthy and under 50, vaxxed and boostered as well.

• Like 1

Just now, Itchy&Scratchy said:

not for all of us. Hubs got it on April cruise and June cruise this year alone. April covid was very tough, loads of awful cough and general misery. June variant just brought a lot of misery.

Hubs is healthy and under 50, vaxxed and boostered as well.

That’s why I said generally. You never know. Some of the most healthy young people I know had a terrible time with it. You do the best you can, with the resources/information available.

• Like 2

My wife and I have each had Covid twice.  All four instances were after a trip!  We both got it after being in Vegas (we think on the flight home), my wife got it after being in Iceland, and a month later, I got it after a cruise.  So since this is Cruise Critic, maybe the responses here are cruise heavy?  My in-laws just got it, along with many others, at a wedding.  The lesson I am taking from this?  May as well get it doing something fun instead of something mundane!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We have cruised quite often since cruising has resumed back in 2021.  I’ve had CoVid 4 times and must say, one time from family, once from the San Diego airport and twice from cruises.  Thankfully, all cases have been relatively mild.  The last time I got it, I wouldn’t have even known I was sick except I couldn’t taste anything, so tested.  Sure enough, it was positive, so I isolated.  My DH has never gotten it!  I think he has super immunity or something.  
I’ve had much worse reactions to the vaccine, so don’t think any further vaccines for CoVid are in my future.  

It takes approx 5 days from exposure to symptoms, how can you narrow it to an exact location 

• Like 1

Just now, antsp said:

It takes approx 5 days from exposure to symptoms, how can you narrow it to an exact location 

You can't narrow it down and since this is a cruise site naturally there will be more cases reported here that lead back to a cruise. Seems like norovirus has become extinct since covid came took over.

In 2022, I avoided covid on a vacation in Ireland and another vacation in London.  While I avoided crowded restaurants (and Irish pub singalongs 🙁), I was on planes and public transportation and in some crowded venues.   No issues!  Then later that year, I caught it presumably at the office, as many of us tested positive at the same time.  I was a week out from a Princess coastal California cruise, which I had to cancel and file an insurance claim for.  Symptoms were mild, thankfully.  

It's everywhere, and there is no guaranteed way to avoid it.  I've had numerous trips since.  I travel with OTC meds and covid tests and hope for the best. I get every booster as soon as it is available.  There is too much I want to see now in my retirement years to stay home.  As everything has gone well so far, I gleefully toss out the unused covid tests when packing to go home.  

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Seems like norovirus has become extinct since covid came took over.

Not extinct. Incidence of Noro increases in winter months when people congregate indoors, but it has been greater in the southern hemisphere where winter is now ending. It will come back north soon, sorry to say.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Murray's Pop said:

We have done 3 post COVID cruises and our daughter has done one.  ALL of us have tested positive for COVID after returning from these cruises.  No symptoms at all during the cruise but within 2-3 days after getting back had symptoms, took test and was positive.  Fortunately all cases were very mild with no complications.  

We've been on 4 cruises - 1 during Covid in 2021, 3 after. Our son caught it on the cruise in 2022 that we were on. He and his girlfriend both caught it. A few days later we came down with it as well. Symptoms were like a bad cold. Other than that one episode we've been lucky. OTOH, I've caught it 3 times in my local town of about 15,000 people - my suspicion is the gym in each case. So anywhere where you're close to to people is a possibility. No hiding from it no matter where you are.

58 minutes ago, antsp said:

It’s actually 2-14 days according to the CDC.  Nevertheless, the family party was early on and was easy to know where I got it because other than going there, we were self isolating for an upcoming cruise.  We got a call right after the party that two people tested positive.  Four days later, I also tested positive.  The San Diego airport one was a no brainer .. everyone was packed in like sardines and there were several people coughing and sneezing without covering their faces. 4 days later, I also became symptomatic.  
The times I got it on a cruise were longer sailings and we rarely get off the ship.  Both hit me on disembarkation day.  The last time, I didn’t even know I had Covid but by that afternoon, I couldn’t taste my food.  Sure enough, it was CoVid.  But, I’ve had colds that were worse than that.  

I just want to note that I’ve been on 40 post CoVid cruises so, 2 times out of 40 cruises is not too bad.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1