The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 25th, 2024

StLouisCruisers

Today is Math Story Telling Day, National Daughters Day, and National Lobster Day

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.--Oscar Levant

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Steamed Garlic Herb Butternut Squash
Drink of the Day - Harry Potter Butterbeer
Wine of the Day - 2022 Riesling, Roots by Wilheim Weil, Robert Weil, Rheinhessen
Destination of the Day - Eidfjord, Norway

Today in History:
1513 Spanish explorer Vasco Nunez de Balboa crosses the Panama Isthmus becoming first European to see the Pacific Ocean
1981 Sandra Day O'Connor sworn in as the 1st female US Supreme Court Justice

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Olivia Majestic Alaska Cruise

Sitka, Alaska   0800-1600

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Glacier Bay, Alaska ?  0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Juneau, Alaska   0800-1700

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens

A Sea Destination Istanbul, Turkey eta 09-26

Noordam --- 14 days, round-trip Great Alaska Explorer

Sitka, Alaska  1200-2100

Oosterdam --- 10 days, one-way from Barcelona to Piraeus-Athens

At Sea Destination Kusadasi-Ephesus, Turkey eta 09-26

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Norse Legends

Geiranger, Norway   0700-1600

Volendam --- 10 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada   0800-1700

Zaandam --- 5 days, one-way from Vancouver to San Diego

Vancouver, BC, Canada   0700-1600

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada   0900-1800

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan

Hiroshima, Japan   0800-2359

image.thumb.png.ab1adc19abec9a79b1d23bb60ffe3087.png

image.thumb.png.90a82daa7537bc252a023323911abd14.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 28

Good morning friends!  It’s already Wednesday and the weather here is unsettled.  Temp now is 70F and heavy rain is going to move in this afternoon.  Scattered showers this morning.  The high will only be about 78.  Yesterday the weather report was wrong and we had rain by 9 am, and then sunshine in the afternoon.  Just the opposite of what they thought it would be. 

Rich @richwmn, thank you for your work in keeping the Fleet Report and Daily going.  It must have taken a long time to prepare all of this ahead of time.  Great days to recognize today.  I think math storytelling is a good way to grab young people's attention and help them to learn.  DD has some great methods that seem to work with her math students.  So let me celebrate daughters today too!  No lobster for me today but I hope some of you can indulge on your BHB's.  That is quite a quote today.  I think I'll pass on the butternut squash, the cocktail and probably the Riesling.  How exciting for Balboa in 1513 when he arrived at the Pacific Ocean!  It was great when a woman was finally sworn in as a Supreme Court Justice.  Thank you again Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports.

Prayers today for Roy, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Vanessa, Ann and Pat, Nancy’s DB Nick, Melisa and her DH, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Jacqui, Jane and her DS, Elizabeth, Dixie, Debbie and Carol and Sam and anyone else in need of them here.  I also don’t want to forget my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and for our men and women in uniform who are protecting us overseas. 🙏 I’m glad to hear Roy’s @rafinmd latest update from his niece and hope he may be getting out of the hospital soon for rehab again.  I hope the remainder of the above list finds an improvement of their condition in the very near future. 🙏 Hopefully Pennie @Nickelpenny will be contacting us before long.  I hope all in the way of the hurricane are ready and come through unscathed.  Cheers to everyone who is celebrating something great today, cruising or preparing to cruise soon. 🎉🎂🚢  We hope you will share it with us.  And thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the C&C lists.  I hope you and the doctors have decided you can go on your cruise with BFF.  Prayers and fingers crossed for you!

The port today is Eidfjord, Norway, one which many of us have enjoyed in the past.  The previous postings of it were on January 9, 2022 and April 30, 2023.  Here are those links to retrieve your photos.  Many of us posted some.  I’ll repost mine next.

Well, I hope you all enjoy your day.  Please stay safe and keep well!  Wrap up in bubble wrap if you have to.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Thank you!!  

The Days to celebrate are great!!!  Here's some Math problems for you!

Solve these math stories! | Math problems for kids, 5th grade math ...

As for Daughters and Lobster -- you'll have to supply your own!!

I love garlic with almost anything!!

Butterbeer -- not so sure...  

Riesling is good!

And I've never been to Norway!

Oscar -- you may have explained many folks I know...  including myself!!!

• Like 36

Thank you Sandi for bringing us today's daily reports.

It is 48°F and partly sunny here.

3 interesting days and thought provoking quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss and never been to today's port.

It was reassuring to hear better news about Roy @rafinmd and Ann's @Vict0riann DH Pat.

I hope everyone else is well and y'all have a wonderful day.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

We enjoyed a visit to Eidfjord, Norway on July 4, 2016 on our Best Norway Cruise Ever.  It was the final port and we were so sad to see it end. 

The Prinsendam eased its way down the fjord at Eidfjord and approached the pier.  What beautiful scenery there is in Norway!  Everyone needs to experience it once at least.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJXpYB91Lxwda3sDevbJf4n?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081950

DH grabbed the HAL umbrella from the closet and off we went.  The umbrella from our Prinsendam closet always held off threatening rain, and it worked again this day. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLId6UTi6t-JYDA-_bGNwBj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081961

This huge hotel is across from the ship but I can't remember the name of it.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJCPwh4hmUwIp69GScZ-8pE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081961

Well it appears from this photo it is a Quality hotel.  Looked very nice by the way.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIrrQf49mdiWqfWfbznodoT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081979

From there we walked to the nearby tourist information center which was quite tiny of course. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_b8Ga_KaRTxJ6tSNzavIt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081988

I liked this display of photos taken of ships which visited Eidfjord in the past.  Seemed like they appreciated cruise ships. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLQXJFH0MJdy1cbg_FnqFPm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081970

The town was surrounded by mountains which always seem to have a swirl of clouds at the peak.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpHzrJaI4hOUnuAkjA9-jB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081999

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKkzbu7MTKMA5rIJKai3SqS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082007

We did not take a ride on the little train.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIt6lPJS9U5iB_aaS7rmqIz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082010

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLIyZMRAbVTeOaL7YghiFP1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082023

I'm seated next to the Eio River which runs between a lake called Eidfjordvatnet and the fjord at Eidfjord.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ88yN6dTab4CzhPVEzQVtH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082101

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLkepJCceVRmNorlK9-4lBr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082034

We kept walking because there were things on our map we hadn't even come close to seeing yet.

We continued our walk to the Eidfjord Kirke, a stone church which dates back to 1309.  Not a typo!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKQ_bZp9fG4w2gUv7gRkgO_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082186

This is one of the inner doors, and then they had glass across the entrance to keep us from going inside and disturbing these very old furnishings.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKS9qThusH8e9pbCY7QaJ46?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082168

Taken through the glass.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIW9_FcklG67wsPGz0nA-Pd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082175

It's in remarkably good shape.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKlzqFy-V5zARh2YJHNh1D?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082194

Next to the church was Trebua Woodshop with a sample of the local art out front.  I heard there was an exhibit of fiddles inside.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2qUwh2N3Z_GwQGdt0D6sW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082212

The art shows the Eidfjord Kirke in it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLxXsk0ao7Vg7LslOQGcQZt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082209

Leaving and looking back, you can see the steeple from the Kirke, and the tourist train which stopped there.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ-L-9LYr7FOrL_wOK8CVQS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082222

A darling house we saw.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTv8uE4MRbPVB5cU3mYk4u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082231

And a more rustic building.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLRw8OewIXyBZfVH6VmPSuC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082131

This seemed to be a government building which had the library inside.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKx76n6HiCDga8Zp6M0FSM5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082020

Early on I learned Bibliotek means library.  I often stop at them to search for Wi-Fi.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLW6D1CsR2KHJDNfbzp6quX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082030

And we found it there!  We decided we'd had enough walking this day and headed back to the ship.  We really enjoyed our day spent in the little town of Eidfjord.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIcw_fzQItV4uVa6tBMjOVJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082056

After lunch and before the afternoon cheese party on deck we got a photo of Captain D.D. on his verandah with the outside bridge wing on the right side of the photo and the Norway flag he always put out in port.  When he wasn't on board the ship he rolled the flag up and slid it behind the sofa in his living room.  No one ever bothered it there he said.  I hope he retrieved it before the ship went over to Phoenix Reisen!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJTU9zaVaJiDrZA5fhHwHTh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082293

Everyone wanted a taste of the goat cheese Captain D.D. had stopped to purchase at Undredal the day before.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLD1_3DJTzMUacKmTSgBDU-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082295

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6yn6QOIe-LaUoJvtXgywC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082303

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI5l027EaNfjsyfIaEo_Tbi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082315

his and her plates00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI0VPWwK4pz_4VMbjLC9Pq_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468083890

We had a beautiful scenic cruise down the fjords that afternoon and we took many photos of the waterfalls and homes, mountains, and wildlife.  But at dinner that night I ran outside at a particularly nice waterfall and saw many of our crew out there enjoying it too.  Recognize anyone?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIqdTjKFRy0XXgVIK9VERAv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082711

View from inside the dining room.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJob8I53PH-U5TzWLHNowY8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468082726

Every day was special on this Best Norway Cruise Ever!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 12

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report!

It's a very humid (98%) morning here in SC with a temperature of 73 degrees. We are watching the tracking of the TS to see if we get any rain out of it. For those in its path, please stay safe!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

299.JPG

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Hump Day Report.

Another wet day here, lots of rain in the forecast.

Interesting days to observe.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Hubby and I were talking about taking another cruise to Norway.  Thanks for the pictures Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day.  Stay dry.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Hump Day Report.

Another wet day here, lots of rain in the forecast.

Interesting days to observe.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Hubby and I were talking about taking another cruise to Norway.  Thanks for the pictures Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day.  Stay dry.

Do it!  You won't regret it.😉

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Cleaning everything off the Lanai, just in case.  This drink is not the one we had at the park. LOL

The Harry Potter series introduced us to all manner of wizardry, from intricate potions and spells to flying brooms and fantastical creatures. But curious drinkers have always gravitated toward one particular invention: Butterbeer. Fortunately, this fictional drink is simple to replicate, so you don’t need to visit the Three Broomsticks bar to try it. Grown-up wizards and adult muggles alike can make this famous Diagon Alley treat right in their own cauldrons, no spells required.
The Butterbeer begins with equal parts vanilla vodka and butterscotch schnapps, which both supply the boozy quotient in this recipe. Cream soda provides the cold, fizzy element, and when combined, the trio yield a drink that is sweet and refreshing.
To create the topping, heavy whipping cream is joined by butterscotch syrup and whipped. Put it all together, and you’ve got a drink fit for Potter and his pals.
How to Make Non-Alcoholic Butterbeer
In the event that underage fans (or lightweight house-elves) want to join the festivities, it’s easy to make Butterbeer nonalcoholic. Simply remove the vanilla vodka and butterscotch schnapps, and replace them with a dash of vanilla extract and butter extract. The flavor will be similar, but without the heady effects.
Ingredients:
1 oz. butterscotch schnapps
1 oz. Vanilla vodka
6 oz. cream soda
Garnish: Whipped cream, Butterscotch syrup, Butterscotch whipped cream
Butterscotch Whipped Cream:
Add butterscotch schnapps, vanilla vodka and cream soda into a frosty mug. Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream and butterscotch syrup drizzled on top, or top with butterscotch whipped cream.

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 6.29.59 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Today’s Care List:

Vict0riann’s DH Pat in hospital, had heart valve replacement 9/24

Rafinmd (Roy) in acute care for heart issues, making care decisions

StLouisCruisers with a health issue, upcoming biopsy

JazzyV battling leg swelling and pain

Kazu with items missing from move, vision problems and leg pain

Safe travels to Cruising-along flying to Bozeman today

Hoping Nickelpenny is ok

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US. Those in the path of Helene.

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Lindaler with family issues

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory and anxiety issues

Lazey1 with a flare of colitis and breathing issues; DS with medical issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie w/breast cancer, NO CHEMO!

Kazu moved into new home; house sold

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for TAW1963 (Eurodam Sept 28 to Oct 5 ) 7d Alaska Explorer

3 days for Haljo1935 (Eurodam Sept 28 to Oct 5) 7d Alaska Explorer – celebrating 35th anniversary

4 days for Doobieb (Oosterdam Sept 29 to Oct 10) 11d Venetian & Dalmation Delight

5 days for JazzyV (Celebrity Eclipse Sept 30 to Oct 11) 11d Boston, Maine & Canada

Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 26
  • Haha 1

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Finally got caught up with my grading. Now on to the next batch. A rather lite day today with on client to be seen. Rain is expected today. My allergies have been acting up over the past few days which is to be expected for me in the fall. Oh well. In exactly two weeks, I will be boarding the NCL Sky for 10 days of relaxation and adventure. I will begin packing this weekend. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy week. 

Wednesday : it's almost, sorta, kind of, close to, just about, nearly ...

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

I've been reading on CC that Glacier Bay permits have been stopped and some of the ships won't be going there.  This was on the WCB Zaandam Live From thread.  Koningsdam is scheduled to be in Glacier Bay today but seems to be anchored off Icy Strait Point right now and it's middle of the night there so...  Anyone reading this know if Glacier Bay is still in the cards for the Koningsdam today?  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi - for Rich! This might be our last nice day for a few days. Yesterday evening at the beach was perfect! But the rains are coming. 

@rafinmd Roy, I was happy to read that you were a bit improved. Just knowing that your niece is with you there is comforting. Sometimes even the strongest spirits need support. Praying that a road to recovery is found. 

Vanessa, praying for your leg pain & swelling to improve - at least enough so you can really enjoy your upcoming cruise. Thank you for keeping track of all us!

Mostly a normal day, but need to get outside and make sure I secure any small, loose things. I need to work a bit on my Egypt trip, too. But the big things are done. 

IMG_3489.jpeg.d901622979a182904f5f9642138c37b6.jpeg

IMG_3478.jpeg.d20229b8419cc74a30dc348226f5e83a.jpeg

IMG_3470.jpeg.6fad6e75add06bec649159f95bb9a04d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying for Tana & Terry (and DB), Roy, Melisa & DH, Chuck & Annie, Bonnie, Jacqui, Ann & Pat, Sandi & DB, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Jane & Tony, Elizabeth, Dixie, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @Vict0riann Ann cheering for Pat’s new valve! 
@Sharon in AZ Sharon, thank you for emailing Pennie! Praying that all is well & she responds. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2022 Riesling, Roots by Wilheim Weil, Robert Weil, Rheinhessen

Another Riesling from Germany. Fairly easy to find. Not too pricey, but I’d love a taste before I bought a bottle. Online prices start at $26.98.

Distributor notes

Founded in 1875, Weingut Robert Weil is one of the Rheingau’s most highly regarded wine estates. It is located in Kiedrich, a village first documented in the year 950. Kiedrich Turmberg and Gräfenberg, the estate’s top vineyards, are among the finest sites in the Rheingau. The estate cultivates 90 hectares (222 acres) of vineyards, 100 percent planted with Riesling. Wilhelm Weil, the great-grandson of the estate’s founder, carries on the tradition of uncompromising, quality-oriented vineyard and cellar practices – a tradition that has been the hallmark of the winery for four generations.    

Winemaker: Wilhelm Weil

Farming: Sustainable

Terroir / Soil:  Village sites in Kiedrich and Eltville

Vinification: The grapes are handpicked, fermented and matured in large neutral oak casks, helping to provide of more full-bodied, yet still mineral-driven riesling.

Tasting Notes: Aromas of stone fruits, flint. 

Notes: Alcohol: 12.0%; Residual Sweetness: 7.9 grams/liter; Total Acidity: 7.8 grams/liter

Total Production: 22,500 cases

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 2

Love todays quote, might like the Riesling, and love math riddles.

My DSIL never shows up for a family dinner without some brain teaser which we all debate over the meal. He has set the bar quite high for mental challenges. All the 3 of the DGS now moan at this. 🥰

Not been to today’s port but loved  the pictures @StLouisCruisersposted. Norway is better than Disneyworld! And it does have a magical feel tom it as well as all that gorgeous scenery. This time last year were packing for a Cruise up the coast of Norway on a Hurtigruten ship, a cross between a large ferry and a cruise ship. It was our second time there and we were ready to go back as soon as we got home. 

This picture, altho not from today’s port, was typical of the scenery in Norway.

IMG_4103.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone!

It is kind of a gray day here in mid-Michigan with a high of 73F forecasted.  We got a good rainstorm last night and really needed it.  I have a routine doctor appointment this morning and I'm going to Farmington Hills this afternoon for a town hall on health care.  I have to do a presentation for a friend who is recovering from Covid.  

@marshhawk It sounds like you got some good advice from the surgeon.  I can understand Chuck being tired of the surgeries, but it sounds like this one is necessary if life expectancy warrants it.  You need to get the oncologist alone and have him be blunt about the situation.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, thank you for letting Roy's niece know how important Roy is to us and how much we appreciate her being with him.  

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for the pictures of Eidfjord.  I think that was our favorite port in Norway two years ago.  We did hike to the lake and enjoyed the scenery along the way. 

Eidfjord.thumb.jpeg.9fe6e4912c0eb3bf2b71aeff9c7edd4e.jpeg

We are excited that we will return to Eidfjord on the Voyage of the Vikings in 2026.

More butternut squash today!  When I read the name of the drink for today I was afraid it, too, might be made with butternut squash.  I would consider today's meal to be more of a side dish and a tasty one at that!   Garlic Herb Butternut Squash

Garlicherbbutternutsquash1.thumb.jpg.72236f66ce2badf76476dba9f4966c9c.jpg

This one is a little different herb mixture.  I wonder if some of yesterday's maple syrup would go well on the butternut squash.  Roasted Butternut Squash

Garlicherbbutternutsquash2.thumb.jpg.3096cbd061b232a317c857294f1092b5.jpg

Time to get moving here.   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 18

Thank you, Sandi, @StLouisCruisers for today’s Daily details. Stay safe. Hope you are not in  the path of this latest storm, although it seems to be making its way right up the middle of Georgia.

So glad to hear promising news about Roy and @Vict0riann’s Pat. Prayers for all awaiting tests and test results. The clock ticks so slowly when you are in that wait and see time warp zone.

@kazu so glad to know you are movd and nostly settled. What an emotional roller coaster! You deserve a break today, and tomorrow, and the next……..🥰

Packing on the agenda today. We are going to fly through ATL to check on the weather on our way tomorrow. Seems to still be a hot summer in Greece.😎

Our dogsitter came by yesterday for a quick walk through. I think Max the dog told us to stay away as long as we want. He was beyond thrilled to see her.  Our neighbors all know her, so she will enjoy the visiting and walking in this area. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the D & FR.  I am happy to be able to share some photos with you today.

The first fjord on our August Best of Norway cruise was sailing into Eidfjord.IMG_0969.thumb.jpeg.d958f34fd47fd5de2d30effaea1c7d1c.jpeg

IMG_0971.thumb.jpeg.19a2b12719930c5ef589be69a4ca2e37.jpeg

IMG_0966.thumb.jpeg.682085dc4bf67fdeb47ebac0f487877d.jpeg

IMG_0975.thumb.jpeg.fc77fba635504200ccecad8870eacdab.jpeg

Notice this bridge actually connects two tunnels through the mountains.

IMG_0978.thumb.jpeg.5040ae82b0b19faa1d2c662040f36b7f.jpegIn Eidfjord we book a tour with Norway Excursions  for $89.  The same HAL tour was $195.IMG_0994.thumb.jpeg.3f7176489d19119d0759da644ab32449.jpeg
The bus followed the Eio river to the “Hardangervidda Nature Centre” to learn about Norwegian nature, the climate and environment. The highlight was a panoramic movie that took us on a visual journey along the fjord, mountains and waterfalls. 
IMG_0998.thumb.jpeg.9fddeb0e61ea97ba0214d8f8bae5f9a2.jpeg

IMG_0999.thumb.jpeg.cc7bd7b601810c4aaeb6be4e94e53164.jpeg

Notice the goats on the roof

IMG_1007.thumb.jpeg.385e0f0ef4df4bf5d22190a257bce656.jpeg

IMG_1015.thumb.jpeg.cb47235b6faa8cf104f903335a522e92.jpeg

We continued towards the Måbødal valley, surrounded by spectacular mountains driving through tunnels and over authentic stone bridges arriving at Hardangervidda, Europe’s biggest mountain plateau. We then continued to the Vøringsfossen waterfall. The waterfall has a free fall of 145 meters and a total height of 182 meters. This makes the Vøringsfossen one of the highest waterfalls in Europe.

IMG_1025.thumb.jpeg.9919513785b3a89da92e83eb33dd6533.jpeg

IMG_1041.thumb.jpeg.56cbbaec43371e4205fa1e472d472adb.jpeg

IMG_1047.thumb.jpeg.ae6d29edd74132923a9d720fe0cd3dbc.jpeg

For the garden club…IMG_1018.thumb.jpeg.22445c60f1e68b1e927fd081a33d5070.jpeg

In honor of lobster day, two meals I had while on the ship. BROILED LOBSTER TAILS
spaghetti with garlic and olive oil, asparagus, warm crab mayonnaise $19 upcharge at CanelettoIMG_1666.thumb.jpeg.fc08665527f96f481ae6bcf521a5da47.jpeg

And the Morimoto Epice Lobster Tails with lemon foam and seasonal vegetables as served in Club Orange $25 upcharge.IMG_1701.thumb.jpeg.0f1180901920fdeb7f4385d06ccdab20.jpeg

We enjoyed Norway so much that we booked another cruise there while onboard for October of 2026. Hopefully we will see the Northern Lights. There are 3 ports above the Arctic Circle.  All ports will be new except Bergen which I hope to see on a sunny day. Anyone want to join us?IMG_1514.thumb.jpeg.e25bee40421d9637fd3176119ebbf1b8.jpeg

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, 

The plumber came yesterday and the problem was a back flow valve. It is code to put them on all new builds. Sounds like a good idea until you see the cheap looking valve that does not work properly. I guess a plumber’s dream as they cause plots of problems. His advice was to not put it back on. I am in a new area with new sewer pipes. My compromise was to put it back on and if it happens again I will keep it off. It is easy to get to if I change my mind. 

I am saddened to keep reading about all the health problems our friends have. My prayers and well wishes go out to all. I hope we hear from Pennie soon. I hope she is on one of her studies and can’t make contact. 

I got my Covid shot yesterday and had a rough night. I feel better this morning. 

Have a great day. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone.  It’s starting out soft and gray today.  Perfect weather to use our new acorn harvesters that got delivered yesterday.  Not a moment too soon either as the red oaks are producing a bumper crop of acorns this year.  I think we’ll celebrate lobster day today by going out for a lobster dinner.  

The quote is pretty funny.

I would like the meal suggestion as a side dish and the drink sounds pretty tasty although a little sweeter than I would normally drink.

I have not been to today’s port but we will next October.  Your photos are very nice!

Praying for those on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events.

• Like 29

Good morning and best wishes to all.  Prayers for those in need.  Roy — prayers for you as your hospital stay continues.  Hope you are home soon.

We went to our dear friend’s funeral on Saturday.  Very sad.  Heartbreaking for me as it is very rare for me to see DH Bill cry.  For those of you who know the area the service was at the church in Valley Forge Park in PA.  Very historic and beautiful.  Our friend loved visiting the park as he lived close by.  A nice choice by his family.

Those of you living near the hurricane that is developing or has developed — stay safe.  It always amazes me the people who ignore their government officials and take a risk with their own safety — sometimes with dire consequences.  Again, please — stay safe everyone.  Katherine

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. I will happily celebrate daughters everyday. DD and DSIL are both off from work this week and have taken turns staying with Tana at night. Sometimes I am up as well as needs arise. This morning we are a little worse for the wear.

I was so happy to read that Pat had the procedure and came through it well. I was also happy to hear that Roy had family with him and hope today is better for him.

@marshhawk, Annie, I hope I am not being intrusive but please corner the oncology doc and perhaps that office can be more helpful to Chuck. I was amazed how quickly our family got help when we were able to honestly speak with the doctors. Believe me it was emotional and scary but in the end  we were able to do what “the patient “ wanted. I wish you were not by yourself in this and send my prayers and hugs to you both.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures today

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5