Still trying to understand why power strips would be banned...

VentureMan_2000

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, yes, but what I was saying is that you were responding to a post that talked about the circuit breaker on the power strip being a hazard, and saying that this was the "real issue" with power strips.  Even a non-surge protected US consumer power strip, in my opinion, is a (albeit small) hazard on a ship because of the above mentioned circuit breaker problem.  The ship's crew will use a European plugged, 220v power strip, because the breaker opens both legs upon tripping.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

24 minutes ago, May1cruiser said:

Bottom line, surge protectors do have a life span. They can fail and will start a fire. Had a good friend almost loose their entire house. I have removed all surge protectors from our home and know the "why" cruise lines do not allow. 

I use Tripp Lite surge protectors that cut the power when they wear out. Then you know it needs to be replaced. 

22 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Thank you chengkp75  for the great insight.  We only plug in our USB chargers into the strip, usually 3 total, so have never given any thought to what others might plug into the power strip.

Great information you shared.

I have busted tenants plugging surge strips into surge strips. 

19 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

As to the original question, this is what Sir Google told me: 'This is because on a cruise ship, both the "live" and "neutral" wires carry current, while a standard surge protector only breaks the circuit on the "live" wire.'

That is... sort of accurate.

In a normal house - both hot and neutral carry current, but only hot has voltage relative to "ground". There is a 120V RMS sine wave on hot relative to neutral, with neutral at ground.

On a ship - both hot and neutral carry current, and both hot and neutral have voltage relative to "ground". There is a 60V RMS sine on both hot and neutral, 180 degrees out of phase to create a 120V RMS sine wave between hot and neutral.

normal_110.GIF

16 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And this is why you need to treat google with a few grains of salt.  Both wires in every circuit, whether on ship or land, carry current.

No - the ground wire should NOT carry current, except in a ground fault situation. It is purely an EMERGENCY ground that is not intended to carry current under normal operation.

1 minute ago, aborgman said:

No - the ground wire should NOT carry current, except in a ground fault situation. It is purely an EMERGENCY ground that is not intended to carry current under normal operation.

Did I say the ground wire carries current?  Nope.  Said "both" wires, meaning the "hot" and "neutral".

16 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

A surge protector doesn't "break" any circuit, it opens a circuit from the "hot" lead to the ground lead to take the unexpected voltage to ground.  Surge protectors deal with voltage, while circuit breakers deal with current.

That is... very dependent on the "surge protector" in question, and how it is electrically implemented.

Not every "surge protector" just uses a TVS/MOV passive suppressor to ground, although it is the most common thing in el-cheapo "surge protector".

Oh... and this is part of the reason I hate the term "surge protector" - a circuit breaker IS a surge protector. It's a current surge protector.

An MOV/TVS/Crowbar circuit is also a surge protector.. it's a voltage surge protector.

Edited by aborgman

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Did I say the ground wire carries current?  Nope.  Said "both" wires, meaning the "hot" and "neutral".

True - but both ignores that every 120/240V circuit has three wires. 

1. There are those who follow rules.

2. There are those who try to break rules.

3. There are those who provide analysis for the rules. 

I used to be a 2.  Now I tend to be a 1. 

Unless I decide the rule is unneccessary, breakable, and inconsequential.

24 minutes ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

This is an example Amazon says is okay.  As you can see, it has outlets, USB ports but no surge protector.

Okay on what lines?  This thread was all about Royal Caribbean banning power strips even though this is a Carnival forum.

This power strip is banned on Royal Caribbean (and sister line Celebrity) as they have been for a while. If they see it, it WILL be confiscated on those lines.

It should be acceptable on Carnival (and most other lines).  But I have seen non surge protected power strips confiscated on several lines when the "inspector" could not easily see it had no surge protection.  I doubt telling them that "Amazon says is okay" would make a difference.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

Sponsored Ad - Cruise Essentials,6 Ft Power Strip with 3 Outlets and 4 USB Ports(1 USB C), Non Surge Protector for Cruise ...

This is an example Amazon says is okay.  As you can see, it has outlets, USB ports but no surge protector.

You can't believe that what the description on Amazon says. You have to follow what your cruise line says is allowed. Royal Caribbean changed what is allowed a few days ago to prohibit those. Will Carnival change what is allowed? My guess is probably. If I was buying today I would not buy one of those. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Royal Caribbean changed what is allowed a few days ago to prohibit those.

There was a news article several days ago that made it seem like this was new information.  They (Royal and Celebrity) have been banning power strips and extension cords for several years.  I had my first extension cord confiscated in 2019.

3 hours ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

Sponsored Ad - Cruise Essentials,6 Ft Power Strip with 3 Outlets and 4 USB Ports(1 USB C), Non Surge Protector for Cruise ...

None of them are "cruise line approved". Cruise lines don't approve them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

These are banned. The only kind allowed as someone earlier said are cubes where you plug in usb plugs.  ..the ones like this where you can plug in a plug are banned.

My problem is I just bought a cube, a power converter for my Europe hotel room. Still new in the box to plug things into in rome. Converters also apparently are banned. I dont even plan on using it on the ship. So the problem is more complicated. .. but the ones allowed are cubes where you only plug in usb ends... not regular plugs .. at least right now. I think royal needs to back off. This is a step too far. Banning power converter cubes. If they take I I will have to get off and retrieve it. I'm on for 2 legs to complicate retrieving a confiscated item. 

The pictured one is banned.

1 hour ago, Pyrate13 said:

With a career as a ships engineer, I'll a take an answer from chengkp every time over anyone else.

Eh... with a 25+ year career as an Electrical Engineer - I'd trust him over just about anyone on here on most ship topics, but I'll trust myself when it comes to electronics.

Power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, banned electrical devices or devices determined to pose a safety hazard, will be confiscated and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

The above is from the Carnival FAQ section under electrical outlets (just copied so the above is current, so to speak).  

On 9/26/2024 at 12:42 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

They clarified it.  No power strips what-so-ever if it contains an electrical outlet that can be plugged into.

However, it can be a power strip that only contains USB ports... so a power strip with only a USB box.

It is a BS move with a BS reason

• Like 1