If you cancel cruise Royal takes the airfare booked with them also

cruisefrost

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Are there any airlines that don't at least give you future credit when you cancel?

Not usually a problem if you book a publicly available, airline marketed ticket.

But these are heavily discounted bulk fares that come with their own rules and restrictions - and because it’s Royal that bought the ticket not you, Royal is also free to impose its own rules and restrictions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisefrost said:

I had to cancel a cruise last minute and the air sea program took the airfare I paid also which is not right as that is not the cruise fare. Any thoughts on this

Of course they did.

Air2Sea are highly discounted consolidator tickets negotiated years in advance and sold to their cruise passengers. You buy a cruise, they offer to sell you air. You cancel cruise, the entire thing is cancelled. 

Otherwise, why not plan a trip to Europe. Buy a 14 day cruise, buy the highly discounted air, cancel the cruise portion and still take the 14 day holiday in Europe. That's not gonna happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Are there any airlines that don't at least give you future credit when you cancel?

I use United and I purchase the regular fare (not the cheapest) and get no change fees and if I cancel, I receive a future credit.  Credit needs to be used within one year.  I was reading somewhere that future credits will go beyond one year, but not sure if I read it correctly.

Most of Royals air through A2S is refundable and there are cancellation penalties (generally a couple hundred a person) as opposed to the loss of the full fare associated with the tickets.  OP needs to check with A2S directy to find out the penalties as agents on the phone dealing with the cruise will not have a clue and tell you the entire amount is non refundable when in fact a good portion of the air may actually be refundable

2 hours ago, cruisefrost said:

I had to cancel a cruise last minute and the air sea program took the airfare I paid also which is not right as that is not the cruise fare. Any thoughts on this

Was this after final payment?

Did you want to cancel the cruise and keep the air? 

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

And you'd have to be crazy to book basic economy fares on any airline.

lol my 5 kids love to travel, in their 20’s, 3 still in college, basic economy, frontier, spirit, international travel with layovers, heck domestic travel with layovers, just a backpack.

7 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

lol my 5 kids love to travel, in their 20’s, 3 still in college, basic economy, frontier, spirit, international travel with layovers, heck domestic travel with layovers, just a backpack.

Yep, and they're crazy😀

But in that era of my life, I was crazy, too, around budget travel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Of course they did.

Air2Sea are highly discounted consolidator tickets negotiated years in advance and sold to their cruise passengers. You buy a cruise, they offer to sell you air. You cancel cruise, the entire thing is cancelled. 

Otherwise, why not plan a trip to Europe. Buy a 14 day cruise, buy the highly discounted air, cancel the cruise portion and still take the 14 day holiday in Europe. That's not gonna happen.

I'm not sure about the highly discounted. I wanted a flight from rome to orlando and called my TA and direct and cheapest ticket for 1 pax for a one way flight was $1510. I booked myself not thru air2sea. ... money grab imo not discounted. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm not sure about the highly discounted. I wanted a flight from rome to orlando and called my TA and direct and cheapest ticket for 1 pax for a one way flight was $1510. I booked myself not thru air2sea. ... money grab imo not discounted. 

Whilst Air2sea does not have the same user-friendly platform that it used to have, it is still a consolidator. You used to be able to put in multiple airlines, dates, airports etc and find a good fare, especially for one-way international fares. Now it won’t quote you online for one-way (at least not for the last two repositioning cruises I tried) and I believe you have to do the legwork yourself in advance and then call to see if they have a matching or better price. 

There are certainly advantages and disadvantages to using them. Did you check the independent price and route you found independently before booking? I would not consider them for domestic flights but they are worth comparing with other options for international. 

5 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Air2Sea are highly discounted consolidator tickets

Definitely not highly discounted. Often times, what they have is more expensive than what the airline offers (for the same fare class).

The only time I've seen discounted fares are to Europe and Alaska, and even then not that great.

Plus I can't imagine they negotiate years in advance when schedules only come out a maximum of 330 days in advance and even then are volatile until 1-2 months prior to the flight date.

Edited by smokeybandit

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Every flight is different.  Some are more and there are lots that are less

• Like 1