Carnival cruise ships to avoid.

This is a list recently in the news. Some of the ratings are not much different than local restaurants. However, I will not cruise on the Elation. Partly because of the ports and it is just not that nice.

However, 11 vessels did not break into the 90s range, including two that failed to pass:

1. Crystal Serenity — Crystal Cruises, scored 89 (inspected February 3)

2. Carnival Elation — Carnival Cruise Line, scored 89 (inspected March 14)

3. Adventure of the Seas — Royal Caribbean International, scored 89 (inspected January 23)

4. National Geographic Sea Bird — Lindblad Expeditions, scored 88 (inspected July 25)

5. Carnival Miracle — Carnival Cruise Line, scored 88 (inspected April 21)

6. MSC Magnifica — MSC Cruises, scored 86 (inspected May 17)

7. Evrima — Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection, scored 86 (inspected February 9)

8. Carnival Breeze — Carnival Cruise Line, scored 86 (inspected March 21)

9. Caribbean Princess — Princess Cruises, scored 86 (inspected March 20)

10. Hanseatic Inspiration — Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, scored 62 (inspected September 29)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Diamond-56-Plus said:

Reading this article and I found a few things that I agree with and some not so much. 

My curiosity has me wondering what the cruise critic members think. What ships to avoid and why?

Carnival Cruise Ships to Avoid (msn.com)

Clickbait from people who don't cruise.  While I have ship amenity preferences, the ship is only part of the equation. 

• Like 3

@trummyI read your comment about how you think that 99% of enjoying a cruise is attitude. I absolutely agree with that idea. Lots of people in this website are very prone to complaining. For example you hear a lot of: “This is too expensive.” or “I didn’t have a good time in the boat because of one single staff member who bumped into me.” I love that you think this way, and I just wanted to let you know. Keep it up!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, deckrbert said:

@trummyI read your comment about how you think that 99% of enjoying a cruise is attitude. I absolutely agree with that idea. Lots of people in this website are very prone to complaining. For example you hear a lot of: “This is too expensive.” or “I didn’t have a good time in the boat because of one single staff member who bumped into me.” I love that you think this way, and I just wanted to let you know. Keep it up!

Thank you. That means a lot. You have a great week. 

• Thanks 1

I have been on at least 25 cruises. I become Diamond in November. I have enjoyed all my cruises, some better than others. I also enjoy some cruise ships more than others. The question was about ships to avoid, not about a good time. I have taken cruises on at least 6 Fantasy ships. My first was on the Elation in 2011. I went on the Elation in 2023. It is definitely showing its age and I prefer to avoid based on the ports and the age. I also cruised on the Ecstasy before they announced that it would be scrapped. I had decided I would not cruise on it again before the announcement. Also, I have cruised many time out of New Orleans, mainly because of convenience. I also like some of the ports (Mahoney Bay, Cozumel and the Caymans). However, I am bored with the Conquest class of ships. Probably because I have been of this class so often. 

• Thanks 1

We only go on newer ships based on early cruising experiences we had in the 90’s.

Those ships have the most recent bells & whistles along with better staff.  

I'm another nonfan of Elation. The ole girl is just worn out wherever you look. I will say I have avoided most any ship on a five-day cruise as we have gotten older and just tired of the worn-out ports that a five-day cruse allows. Those five-day cruises are where Carnival has gotten the reputation of a party ship /Walmart of the seas, especially during spring break Another ship I have avoided is the Vista with all her mechanical problems. Just too many complications and missed ports.

Based on these boards, any of Carnival's ships doing a <4 day itinerary as those are likely to be "booze cruises" and a bit on the wild side (even in comparison to short RCL cruises).

Edited by notscb

17 hours ago, deckrbert said:

Some of this is related to ingrained personality -

see: Maximisers vs. Satisficers

We once had a wonderful cruise on the Fascination out of San Juan. Our TA tried to warn us off because the old ship lacked "bells and whistles". But as I said, we had a wonderful time with fine ports, great other passengers, and lots and lots of dancing which especially made DW happy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We once had a wonderful cruise on the Fascination out of San Juan. Our TA tried to warn us off because the old ship lacked "bells and whistles". But as I said, we had a wonderful time with fine ports, great other passengers, and lots and lots of dancing which especially made DW happy.

Commission is a percentage of the fare, so on average, travel agents make more when you book newer ships that have higher fares.

• Thanks 1

I didn't click the clickbait link, but for me personally, I avoid the Conquest, because it mainly only does short Bahamas cruises, and the clientele on the Conquest is different from any other ship. Definitely not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I’ve had great luck with the Fantasy class ships as well, going on one next month for possibly the last time (no idea how long the remaining examples have left).

• Like 1

. Recently on the Venezia and loved it so I would be fine with that class of ship, other than no way would I book the Vista. I don't know why out of that class of ship that the Vista seems to be the main problem child but it's turned me off enough to not consider it.

My wife loves to play the quarter pusher. Some ships have removed the quarter pushers such the Excel Class. It also seems that some of the Costa converts may not have the machine. I have to also consider this in booking a cruise. Some nice ships may be excluded due to personal preferences and entertainment offered. I would also agree with another poster that excludes ships with constant mechanical problems. 

15 hours ago, mz-s said:

Depending on the cruiser's expectations. 

20 hours ago, trummy said:

I can have a good time on any cruise. 99% is attitude.

Possibly these two things are correlated...

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1