🐾🐾 Sea Dog is Live! Tiki, Tacos and Tequila: Navigator, October 18-25

On 10/20/2024 at 8:08 PM, DaKahuna said:

Unfortunately, from what little I saw it was a one sided game with the Chief's dominating. 

Sad 49er day.  We had a shot 4th Quarter till the ugly interception in the end zone!!!

On 10/20/2024 at 6:19 PM, Sea Dog said:

Line of the day!

@taznremmy and I were talking about watching the football game and I remarked “ I usually don’t day drink unless I’m watching football.” Pat replied “I usually don’t day drink unless I’m on a cruise.” said the Pinnacle with over 1400 points. We both cracked up really good!

Love it!!  LOL!

Congratulations Pat!  Looking forward to seeing you on Wonder, along with Greg and Linda, and the whole Bella group!🛳️

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So I am standing in line waiting for our Cabo Luxury Day Sail and this couple were standing in front of us. The wife sees my sea pass card and remarks “No way.” She asks “is that your name”? to which I replied yes and she says “that’s my husband’s name spelled the same way.” What are the odds you would meet someone with the same name spelled out the same way. 

Funny to meet someone like that. Someone with DH’s exact same name lived in the same building as his mother. Someone with my exact name lives about 30 minutes north of us. I found about her because the dealership she bought a car from had my information on her car and kept contacting me about a car that isn’t mine. It took a while but I finally got them to remove my information from that car.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I must say I have enjoyed meeting and talking to the Bamboo Room lead bartender Thulio from Brazil. He and I have bonded talking about tiki cocktails and I ended up getting his email and sent him some of my tiki resources. I think he really appreciated that.

While a lot will miss bartender Raj. I think we all are in good hands. He even created the famous Bamboo Room Rainbow Shots for all of us to have. Very impressive. I am still at a loss how he did that. Cheers!!

Awesome!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Our middle grandson introduced me to a Tequila Old Fashioned.  
I have been drinking New Fashioned (a rum based old fashioned similar in recipe to the one at the Bamboo Room) but first time I have had one made with tequila.  It was surprisingly decent. 

A tequila Old Fashioned with a good Reposada is excellent.

2 hours ago, barbeyg said:

And I found it, but won’t be serving any of these at our home bar.  I think you have to be completely sober to pull this off…and I probably won’t be if I’m bartending at home. 😁

https://cocktail-society.com/barkeeping/how-to-make-rainbow-shots/

Thank you. I gotta try this.

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

The Bamboo Room looks like a very cool place to hang out.  

Great picture of you in your tiki shirt Greg. 

Thanks Deb! I had to wear my McBiff shirt. He’s a famous tiki designer who is an illustrator for Disney.

• Like 3

Cabo Luxury Day Sail.

IMG_0535.thumb.jpeg.c51f3857403726194bc72ca692e4f096.jpeg

How many times have you booked a sailing excursion only to experience motoring? We have been on multiple catamarans only to motor because of lack of wind or most likely it’s easier to motor than to sail. For this excursion we did both.

IMG_0563.thumb.jpeg.570ad13d5777a5d2104e6233cd2b9dd8.jpeg

Cabo is a tendered port so we left the ship with ample time to get to the dock where we would meet up with our excursion team.

IMG_0499.thumb.jpeg.4897b2dccb995916f114be744b776030.jpeg

It was a short 10-15 minute ride into the port area lined either some of my other yacht’s I wished I owned. 

IMG_0516.thumb.jpeg.71243b28062001b96da1d2a4c44bc401.jpeg

It was hot! Frying an egg on my bald head hot.

IMG_0520.thumb.jpeg.39c8d5bf8cd0bc8a23d0799a861eca4b.jpeg

Now you already heard the story of me meeting another passenger with the same name and spelling as mine. I later found out there are at least 3 of us on this ship with the same name. I wouldn’t be surprised if my name was Dave Smith but my name is a little unique.

IMG_0528.thumb.jpeg.74e51f6ee4ad62c91211266313b0d105.jpeg

It was finally time to board our 50 foot sailing boat. We had a smaller group so it was very manageable.

IMG_0530.thumb.jpeg.20143bda0a2f8169fa0554886362c92f.jpeg

After safety information and an explanation how the head works we were off.

IMG_0542.thumb.jpeg.ee88e340e6cafbafa06648f5d24edb62.jpeg

The iconic arches of Cabo are very beautiful. It was crazy to see how many other boats and tours were in the area.

IMG_0541.thumb.jpeg.eff2bc4b713531d2677f448502763f73.jpeg

How someone doesn’t hit another boat as they crisscross and jockey for the best photo op is beyond me. After sightseeing some we headed down the coastline.

IMG_0556.thumb.jpeg.6fbdd0dac9a020349a47b6575f3fdfc8.jpeg

I’m sure I saw Sammy Hagar’s place but I couldn’t tell you which one it was.

IMG_0552.thumb.jpeg.1d732abda5e973da00854ba6c36c263e.jpeg

We were served unlimited alcoholic beverages and had appetizers of shrimp skewers, guacamole and chips and salsa.

IMG_0555.thumb.jpeg.8228a0642d429327ce26cfeb22ea84d1.jpeg

We headed to a little bay called Santa Maria and dropped anchor for 45 minutes of swimming, snorkeling and paddle boarding.

https://youtu.be/iee1uoGvjt8?si=3BFvBKBSWYxiRtgq

The water was warm and so clear. I was extremely impressed at the quality of it. There were lots of fish swimming around us and they didn’t seem to care we had invaded their homeland.

After returning from swimming I realized I did the dumbest no I mean stupidest thing I ever did on a cruise.

I took off my life vest and realized my sea pass card in my lanyard that I should have taken off like any other half way intelligent cruiser would do had fallen out and was probably sinking to the depths of Davy Jones locker.

I panicked. What do I do? How do I get back on the ship? Will I be banned for life? Linda comforted me by saying just tell them what happened, show them your drivers license and get a new seapass card. Luckily I saw the captain in the water with snorkel gear on. I yelled to him asking if he happened to see a seapass card lying on the bottom. He snorkeled a little bit then suddenly did that pelican dive to the bottom. Lo and behold he found it and brought it back to the surface. Needless to say I thanked him profusely and apologized beyond my already sunburned red face and tipped him a $20. It was the least I could do.

IMG_0557.thumb.jpeg.9ae37317b86ae9970c75ab755532d6cf.jpeg

After under way we had more food consisting of chicken caesar salad, fruit, ceviche and some chocolate. This felt like it was actually  was a luxury sail.

IMG_0561.thumb.jpeg.063f9b8a41c43763df7552aca2f3db93.jpeg

Later the sails went up and we actually did sail letting the wind carry us along at about 7 knots. 

IMG_0570.thumb.jpeg.e46ad04f2ad4c654a0895a67dab31194.jpeg

We returned happy and content. So far on this cruise we are batting 1,000 on quality of excursions. If you are in Cabo San Lucas and want to have a great experience I highly recommend this excursion.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 22

Alert! Security came not once but twice to our cabin.

Admit it you thought I was going to be arrested for losing my sea pass card in the Pacific Ocean didn’t you????

Actually they came around yesterday and knocked on door. Of course we were getting ready and practically naked. It was security asking to check their master key on our cabin. Why do that? They checked and went away.

Today they came back and of course we were getting ready and fairly bare clothing wise. Same thing this time. After they left I went down to the Diamond Lounge to meet the gang. I realized I forgot something and went back to the cabin. Stuck my card in and got the dreaded red light. I knocked and Linda let me in.

We figured something the security team did screwed up our card access. We tried Linda’s key card and same thing no access.

So down to Guest Services I went. New cards later back up and again more red lights. I felt like I was in Amsterdam. Same with Linda’s card. So back down I went. New cards again this time they worked but what happened? I don’t know why security had to test our cabin and not anyone else’s. In the end it got solved and the loyalty ambassador is going to look into it.

Always an adventure!

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Chops

I love Chops and it’s one of my favorites. I had to get my usual hits.

IMG_0575.thumb.jpeg.f609e77006d9aba514f4a660ed4cfa8f.jpeg

Beef Carpaccio 

IMG_0577.thumb.jpeg.c456b405abb53ca6e72d83826a3284ce.jpeg

Crab Cake

IMG_0578.thumb.jpeg.c43b05a09a6eb94db17ccc622b9331f9.jpeg

Fried Goat Cheese Salad. Best salad ever.

IMG_0579.thumb.jpeg.134587a625ee27d04da25e37b7cf2411.jpeg

9oz Filet medium rare ( it did look slightly smaller than a 9oz, more like 8oz. It did taste fantastic. The flavor was great and seasoning perfect. Nice and hot just the way I like it.

IMG_0581.thumb.jpeg.9ee04f03626dfe99706effbf54295f1d.jpeg

Sides of Cheese Tater Tots

IMG_0580.thumb.jpeg.f3173c3debeca0ff5ce58d8b67003c10.jpeg

Baked Potato that was really tiny. I asked for it loaded but I don’t think they know what loaded is. It just had butter on it.

IMG_0583.thumb.jpeg.2807b807958e43ac554a8c1d1c273182.jpeg

And Mac-n-Cheese which was not hot but cool. Not good.

IMG_0584.thumb.jpeg.4e818ca8ea730e55c03b133c2592fa53.jpeg

Warm chocolate cake which I love and I always like a glass of cognac at the end of a good steak dinner

IMG_0585.thumb.jpeg.e402ac99893ad0c5968430898e3944a0.jpeg

It was the biggest fail and a huge pet peeve of mine.

Cognac in a cocktail glass instead of a snifter. That’s like serving a fine French wine in a sippy cup.

But the steak was the star and made for an enjoyable meal.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 12

@Sea Dog You are one of the few people who identifies what is on the plate .   I’m happy for you that you and Linda are having such a great time on this cruise.  The weather seems perfect, too. 

When you are on the west coast it gets lonely on here past 7:00 pm . 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

My husband lost his sea pass card and his license.  We had to tell the people checking in at the port gate., They had to call seurity to come get us.  Then security checked his name against the log and then manually beeped him in.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

It was the biggest fail and a huge pet peeve of mine.

Cognac in a cocktail glass instead of a snifter. That’s like serving a fine French wine in a sippy cup.

I did not know that some bring their own wine glasses with them on a cruise, instead of settling for what the ship may provide (was just reading that on another thread)!

I guess you may need to start packing some glassware.

Me?  I would probably drink anything, in any kind of a container.  After all, I have been known to drink wine from a box and a screw top bottle. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

33 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

My husband lost his sea pass card and his license.  We had to tell the people checking in at the port gate., They had to call seurity to come get us.  Then security checked his name against the log and then manually beeped him in.  

Wow!  That had to be nerve wracking.

18 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I did not know that some bring their own wine glasses with them on a cruise, instead of settling for what the ship may provide (was just reading that on another thread)!

I guess you may need to start packing some glassware.

Me?  I would probably drink anything, in any kind of a container.  After all, I have been known to drink wine from a box and a screw top bottle. 😂

I do think the reason it was served in that glass is because Chops is up on deck 11 with a the Windjamner. I’m fairly positive that the Windjammer bar probably doesn’t have fine glassware. Chops on an Oasis class is in Central Park and near the Trellis Bar which I think makes their drinks and I know they have the right glassware.

• Like 2

Bamboo Room Tres

The Bamboo Room had an event there earlier and was pretty crowded after dinner so I didn’t get back there till late to try some of their Cocktails from their menu.

IMG_0593.thumb.jpeg.0545f01f3953ebe670d19813c555f1c6.jpeg

Saturn Landing is  another gin based tiki cocktail but this was fantastic. Using Bobby’s Gin which is botanical gin using juniper and spices. Plus using All spice dram gives this cocktail character and depth. Very creamy as it’s mixed without ice. 5 out of 5.

IMG_0594.thumb.jpeg.89c53e7edac17676da025857272abaf9.jpeg

IMG_0003.thumb.jpeg.2e2c21e0685525169840c6171e814a29.jpeg
Recipe Courtesy of PG Cruiser

Also since is was late and slow I got to have a more in depth discussion with Thulio who is the lead bartender of the Bamboo Room about Tiki cocktails and both our love for fine bourbons. Man do I like this kid.

We discovered that both of ours favorite cocktail is the Old Fashioned. He said he makes the best and makes it without syrup. He asked if he could make me one. Do you think I turned it down after a night full of cocktails? 

Instead of using simple syrup, or doing it classic by muddling a sugar cube and Angostura bitters he actually muddles an orange and cherry together with a little bit of bourbon. What a novel and great idea. Let the fruit carry the sweetness with a hint of the bourbon.

Sorry I did not take a picture. I started drinking this outstanding cocktail right away.

@Tree_skier I told Thulio you would be on Navigator soon and that you two should hit it off. Dave I think he will be an excellent replacement for Raj and you will enjoy his cocktails.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Ken at the beach said:

My daughter will pour her wine that she brings on board into one of the coke cups to walk around the ship.

I have no problem with that. Sometimes stealth is good.

Honey, I Shrunk the Food!

IMG_0598.thumb.jpeg.83efb95ccf60c0c60b6c6b34b5007bf3.jpeg

Look it’s a baby omelette.

One thing I have noticed on Royal Caribbean ships is that food portions are a lot smaller.

I understand people waste food and there is no reason for Royal to waste food either. You can’t but notice the plates and bowls are smaller. 

It’s hard to tell by the picture but this omelette was very tiny. It was made to order in the WJ. It was hot and good but it was smaller. I’m ok with that only because I have been eating a lot all week. Don’t know if the smaller size will help my waist line but it can’t hurt.

IMG_0597.thumb.jpeg.0cdba3f975e9533862a6f4b193a5bfe6.jpeg

Breakfast in the Windjamner is growing on me. Food is hot and plentiful. I may have found a new favorite place for breakfast.

• Like 5

@Sea Dog We like the Windjammer for all our breakfasts except the last morning when we have the Key breakfast.  We are early morning people so it usually isnt crowded.  There is a good selection of foods that we both like. 

We like it for lunch or the solarium Bistro.  

• Like 1

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Honey, I Shrunk the Food!

IMG_0598.thumb.jpeg.83efb95ccf60c0c60b6c6b34b5007bf3.jpeg

Look it’s a baby omelette.

One thing I have noticed on Royal Caribbean ships is that food portions are a lot smaller.

I understand people waste food and there is no reason for Royal to waste food either. You can’t but notice the plates and bowls are smaller. 

It’s hard to tell by the picture but this omelette was very tiny. It was made to order in the WJ. It was hot and good but it was smaller. I’m ok with that only because I have been eating a lot all week. Don’t know if the smaller size will help my waist line but it can’t hurt.

IMG_0597.thumb.jpeg.0cdba3f975e9533862a6f4b193a5bfe6.jpeg

Breakfast in the Windjamner is growing on me. Food is hot and plentiful. I may have found a new favorite place for breakfast.

I think the last time we did the dining room was over 10 years ago.  I love the selection and that we can all get vastly different things and more or less of certain things.  We tend to be there early so miss the chaos that can be found at peak times.

• Like 1