Arrival Gift for Cabin Steward?

mt_goodrich

More tipping police telling someone that they're not tipping enough.

That's my biggest fear about auto tipping and including tips in the fare, that people will still want everyone to tip more and more and the whole stupid system starts all over again.

If you pay the auto tips, or tips are included in the fare, that is all that is required. Anything over that is generous.

But no someone gets berated here for ONLY tipping $2 EXTRA

Oh, come one now. If the poster had said in the first place the $2 per day was over and above, no one would have mentioned it.

I still don't know why you fear anything. You make your choices as to what you do, no one can make you pay anything more. Even IF some would want another to tip more, it's all talk and all you have to do is ignore them and stay away from all tipping threads..

Edited by iheartbda

Oh, come one now. If the poster had said in the first place the $2 per day was over and above, no one would have mentioned it.

I still don't know why you fear anything. You make your choices as to what you do, no one can make you pay anything more. Even IF some would want another to tip more, it's all talk and all you have to do is ignore them and stay away from all tipping threads..

As always, those fear those who tip over the standard gratuities is that those folks will get extra.

That $2.00 is in addition to the daily charge by the cruise line.

Thanks for clarifying ... I'm glad that it is "over and beyond."

Just a little concerned that because this is in the first time cruisers forum, that newbies would assume that $2 to the cabin steward was either (a) not included in the auto-gratuities or (b) you should remove them and only tip $2 a day to the cabin steward.

More tipping police telling someone that they're not tipping enough.

That's my biggest fear about auto tipping and including tips in the fare, that people will still want everyone to tip more and more and the whole stupid system starts all over again.

If you pay the auto tips, or tips are included in the fare, that is all that is required. Anything over that is generous.

But no someone gets berated here for ONLY tipping $2 EXTRA

$2 a day extra IS generous, but they didn't state that it was extra. Get over it.

i gave my two waiters a tip and my steward , was talking to a worker on the cruise who said the tipping as much as you don't have to in Aust is built into the cruise anyway , knowing this i still tipped and if that means they get triple off me like that fine they did a great job [i was solo and you pay double for traveling solo for your cabin

$2 a day extra IS generous ... ...

I'm glad to know that since after a 7 day cruise with an awesome cabin steward I'd given him $20 extra at the end of the cruise and after reading in another thread what others give extra I was feeling I should have given more.

i gave my two waiters a tip and my steward , was talking to a worker on the cruise who said the tipping as much as you don't have to in Aust is built into the cruise anyway , knowing this i still tipped and if that means they get triple off me like that fine they did a great job [i was solo and you pay double for traveling solo for your cabin

Gratuities are not doubled for solo cruisers

I'm glad to know that since after a 7 day cruise with an awesome cabin steward I'd given him $20 extra at the end of the cruise and after reading in another thread what others give extra I was feeling I should have given more.

I give more than that but I don't see how anyone can call someone out for giving an extra $20. It is after all, extra. I usually give an additional $50 to my room steward and $75 to my waiter and $50 to my assistant waiter. I guess I've never got out of the habit of cash tipping. I also look to them as an "excursion". They give me pleasure all week and to me it is worth it. That doesn't mean anything less is, well less. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you leave your auto tip on and give them anything extra it is a nice gesture. Just make sure it is cash and not food, a magnet or t-shirt.

Gratuities are not doubled for solo cruisers

The meaning in saying that is I past the price of two people not one in my fare, and if you read the but where I was told that they are built into your fare then that's where I meant I paid double my half and if I had a friend but I Donny's half if that makes sense and if what I was told was true, any way I have a lovely note of thanks and a tip whether it is or isn't built into the fare

The meaning in saying that is I past the price of two people not one in my fare, and if you read the but where I was told that they are built into your fare then that's where I meant I paid double my half and if I had a friend but I Donny's half if that makes sense and if what I was told was true, any way I have a lovely note of thanks and a tip whether it is or isn't built into the fare

The confusion is that it built in to many fares in Australia, none, or almost none in US.

I wonder what the Steward gets for a solo fare, one lot or two?

Ive never pre tipped, never had other than excellent service.

I am however not very demanding and try to be nice to those servicing me.

It seems to work fine both at sea and a home.

But maybe some are more demanding than me.

• Like 1

I'm with you. I see no need to tip at the beginning as we also have always had excellent service without the bribe. We are friendly to the crew and we keep our cabin relatively clean and try to not get in Stewart's way if he is still cleaning when we return. Same with our waiters. I see no need to be rude to someone that is there to please me.

The confusion is that it built in to many fares in Australia, none, or almost none in US.

I wonder what the Steward gets for a solo fare, one lot or two?

yes thats what i meant and yes i wonder i hope they get a decent amount they work hard . as do the waiters saw one lady who was asked politely if she would like a drink she rudely said no with no manners in saying thank you at the end of that no in the tone she used and as he walked away said to her friends were was i after i was rudely interrupted , she wasnt rudely interrupted but she was rude in her response in my books and those waiters need some of the extra stuff for how they cop some of that rubbish too , he happened to be my waiter so he certainly got some from my table that i do know , he was greatly appreciated by us as was the other one at the table he got a share as well

a friend does why i am not sure , to me after is better , i always try to be out of the way , though i watched my fellow work on the last sea day was interesting i like the way he does the windows , quick and easy way of getting the soapy stuff on to wipe off using a cup

• 3 weeks later...

I've got very diverse taste in music (I was in the business for years) and record/rip music onto a micro SD card that I'll enjoy listening to [using an inexpensive MP3 player] while traveling to where I'll be boarding my ship as well as for the flight(s) home at the cruises end. The hours of ripped music is very diverse and includes selections of oldies, folk, classical, pop, jazz and everything in between (no rap). I do this with two identical players and SD cards.

Upon checking out of my stateroom I give my steward a little extra cash for what is usually outstanding service and one of the MP3 players that's been fully charged (with a copy of the instructions) and that's loaded with one of the pre recorded 4G SD micro cards I brought (the steward supplies their own headphones ;)).

I've received thank you letters from some of my stewards thanking me for my wonderful gift and saying that they loved the music selections I'd chosen. If they didn't care for the selections they can of course record anything they want on the card.

An inexpensive MP3 player and a 4G SD card will set one back as little as $10.00 if one does a little cruising around in ebay.

Time expended to rip an SD card with hours of music from ones personal music files can take as long as 20 seconds.

One sure can buy a lot of happiness for a hard worker for $10.00 ;).

Mom makes the best chocolate chip cookies and she will pack a tin full of them. She said she gives it to the cabin steward when they first meet and she swears that the service is second to none after that.

Does anyone else do anything like this?

Has she ever not bribed the stewart w cookies and determined if she gets bad service. If she has not done this, her data is meaningless.

DON

Has she ever not bribed the stewart w cookies and determined if she gets bad service. If she has not done this, her data is meaningless.

DON

True. I had the technician at my eye doctors office fix my DGS's glasses for me for free. The glasses needed another adjustment so we took his glasses back. This time we took a cookie as payment. Guess what. It took him longer to fix the glasses. You know why? Because he kept getting cookie crumbs on the lenses. :rolleyes: Cookies aren't always the answer.

I've got very diverse taste in music (I was in the business for years) and record/rip music onto a micro SD card that I'll enjoy listening to [using an inexpensive MP3 player] while traveling to where I'll be boarding my ship as well as for the flight(s) home at the cruises end. The hours of ripped music is very diverse and includes selections of oldies, folk, classical, pop, jazz and everything in between (no rap). I do this with two identical players and SD cards.

Upon checking out of my stateroom I give my steward a little extra cash for what is usually outstanding service and one of the MP3 players that's been fully charged (with a copy of the instructions) and that's loaded with one of the pre recorded 4G SD micro cards I brought (the steward supplies their own headphones ;)).

I've received thank you letters from some of my stewards thanking me for my wonderful gift and saying that they loved the music selections I'd chosen. If they didn't care for the selections they can of course record anything they want on the card.

An inexpensive MP3 player and a 4G SD card will set one back as little as $10.00 if one does a little cruising around in ebay.

Time expended to rip an SD card with hours of music from ones personal music files can take as long as 20 seconds.

One sure can buy a lot of happiness for a hard worker for $10.00 ;).

And yet, the crew member can't buy a bit of clothes, medicine or send a MP3 player home to help feed his family.

And yet, the crew member can't buy a bit of clothes, medicine or send a MP3 player home to help feed his family.

The cash I physically put in my stewards hand when I depart can easily put food on his or her table for several days, buy a few cloths, medicine and even a cheap MP3 player - postage included. Sadly the rest of the crew won't be be fairing as well.

• Like 1

Gifts and cash- we actually do both. We bring something symbolic of where we are from (last cruise it was pralines) and hand the gift off the first day- along with a cash tip. This allows us to tip ahead of time without just tossing cash at the room steward. A few cruises ago we had a ton of luggage and my DH also tipped the young lady who delivered all of our bags- the gesture literally brought her to tears.

• Like 1

Gifts and cash- we actually do both. We bring something symbolic of where we are from (last cruise it was pralines) and hand the gift off the first day- along with a cash tip. This allows us to tip ahead of time without just tossing cash at the room steward. A few cruises ago we had a ton of luggage and my DH also tipped the young lady who delivered all of our bags- the gesture literally brought her to tears.

I would suggest looking through the eight pages of this thread. The "something symbolic" won't mean anything to most of the workers.

I realize this thread was started very long ago but want to comment I still dislike the idea of providing gifts or tips upon boarding. It feels like a bribe to me. You will get the good service from a good steward without necessity of embarrassing both of you.

IMO......