Best Time Of Year - Weather Carribean

poffles

Hi ... first time cruiser here. Looking at a Carribean cruise next year or year after and only port destination that I am most sure to include is St. Thomas, any other port is up for consideration.

I like hot weather and want to avoid hurricane seasons, what would be the best time of year for me to consider a cruise? The calendar year is wide open. It would be nice to keep the costs at bay too as I don't want to pay top dollar for the "perfect" time of year. Also want to avoid spring break times.

From what I've read so far I don't get a good sense of when others prefer .. seems to be all over the place. I realize it is a personal choice but am interested in opinions and why others choose the time they do.

Thanks to all the experts out there.

Hurricane season in the Atlantic tends to be June through November. So, given that you want to avoid the hurrican season and you still want it to be relative hot then May might be your best bet. But, if it were me I would look at June as well. Yes, there could be a hurricane but it is not the height of the season anyway.

Keith

The best/cheapest time is the end of Janaury begining of February- Something about leaving the cold behind and arriving in the warm sun is unbelievable.

Gone is the humidty of the summer months.

Hurricane season offers the best prices too-- Sept- but its also highpeak time and you take your chances of missed port. rare do cruises get cancelled because of a hurricane.. you get missed days or ports.

You might want to check out the groups board to see if anyone is heading out during your time.

I am waiting for pricing for February 2009 if you want to wait and see what gets avalable.

SAiling in May or June will start the family sailing season- so you will be sailing with lots of kids.

Sept - Nov you could run into a hurricane. If you are set on going to St Thomas and that is on the itinerary, I woulldn't go in those months. If WHERE your'e going is not all that critical, ships will vary the itinerary if weather dictates, so even going in "hurricane season" usually isn't a huge problem, if you don't mind a change of itinerary. You will get a good "deal" in those months, as well. December (up to the 20th or so, rates are pretty good too. Most folks are preoccuppied with the holidays and the rates are good. The holiday sailings will be pricy, early Jan prices are less and late Jan through the rest of the winter is "the season". That's when folks from the cold climates like to get away. Being from Nova Scotia, I would think you would LOVE to stay where you are, May - Sept and put your sights on a Caribbean cruise some other time of the year.

Both of our Caribbean cruises were in early to mid April. The spring break crowd seems to peak in March, so by the time April rolls around the spring breakers are fewer, unnoticeable on some cruise lines.

We have found the rates to be a little bit lower in April than they were in January - March. Like someone previously stated, most people like to get away from home when the weather is cold and wet or snowy. This means January/February for most. By the time April rolls around folks are starting to stay home and work on their landscaping, I suppose.

The Caribbean was nice in April. It was warm - mid 80s to mid 90s - but not as muggy as it can get, or so I'm told. We managed to get sufficiently sunburned both times.

How is the Caribbean in December...we're looking to go around the 2nd week of December. :)

We've done Nov.-March and had decent weather each trip,and our next is 12/3. The air and water temps run in the 80's. Plus the prices are about as cheap as they will be all year.;)

Good Day All.

We sailed at the end of January- Early february this year and WOW...weather was incredible (that was the western caribbean)...I also sailed in April this year (short trip with friends) over easter and the wind was almost unbearable. They said that the wind always tends to be bad that time of year (never again for me)...tried to lay out and they had chairs tied down and I was looking for a cubby area that wouldn't have too much wind (still did) and covered up with a towel to say warm.

We are looking to sail the Eastern Caribbean and the kids do not want to sail during school this time so looking at spring break...which is march....or over Christmas break....any advice?

We have cruised/vacationed in the Caribbean every month of the year and have had good and less good weather during any month. We've had glorious beach weather at Half Moon Cay (HAL's private island in the Bahamas) on Christmas Day and had rain and wind and miserable weather in August. No predicting. Been to the beach at least a part of every cruise/vacation every month of the year.

Archived