Pacific Dawn webcam

Kiwi_cruiser

Hi everyone, you can watch on sailwx.info ( a great site for all ships)

exactly where she is at present.

Past Bali in the Flores sea , heading toward Arafura sea.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Sorry, but that track is almost a month out of date :)

Ah, that explains why Sky's call sign changed when it went to Spain. It was GYYP when it was registered in London, and it's different now. I thought call signs stayed with the ship for life, but you learn something new every day!

The radio callsign of a ship/aircraft or whatever is representative of the country of registration and is in line with the letter/figure combinations allocated by the international body in Geneva.

There are thousands of combinations and each callsign is unique to its country of origin

AS an example all Australian radio callsigns are prefixed by V - usually VH, VI, VJ or VK.

Possibly the most well known example of that [or at least to the Melbournites and Blue Heeler watchers :p :D ] is VKC Victorian Police Headquarters.

If its going to British Registry its a fair bet that the radio callsign will be 4 letter starting with G - as in GXXX

I cant comment on the Star or Sun, but the SKY was switched to British Registry with her home port being London.

Not sure about that logic - Pacific Star is registered in London, and her callsign is MKRB6 - as seen here on the bridge of the ship.

Not sure about that logic - Pacific Star is registered in London, and her callsign is MKRB6 - as seen here on the bridge of the ship.

I have no idea why you wish to be so pedantic, but if you read my post again I said it is a fair bet the call sign would start with G.

I did not state categorically it would.

If you want to split hairs, British radio callsigns can start with the following:

G, M, VS, ZBZJ, ZNZO, ZQ, and 2.

Satisfied? :rolleyes:

And Pacific Sun, also registered in London, is MNPJ3

Regal Princess is there - Liberian registration - Callsign ELVK6, hasn't been changed to Pacific Dawn yet.

You can use this website to seach for Ship's Callsigns, although it doesn't cover all ships, as I can't get it to bring up the call sigh for Sky Wonder (Pacific Sky).

According to this page, Sky Wonders call sign is 9HOC8. Although can it start with a number?

At the risk sounding pedantic again, no it wouldn't start with a 9, but it would start with a 9H - which is the prefix for Malta, Sky Wonder's country of registry.

List of ITU prefixes here

Thanks Sam I was curious as to what Sky's new callsign was.

At the risk sounding pedantic again, no it wouldn't start with a 9, but it would start with a 9H - which is the prefix for Malta, Sky Wonder's country of registry.

List of ITU prefixes here

Yep - 9H series callsigns are allocated to Malta.

Your link shows that Sky Wonder is registered in Malta.

thanks for that guys. Just wasnt too sure about it when i posted it.

Thanks Sam I was curious as to what Sky's new callsign was.

no probs. I knew id seen it on the sight somewhere before so i did a bit of searching.

And Pacific Sun, also registered in London, is MNPJ3

Regal Princess is there - Liberian registration - Callsign ELVK6, hasn't been changed to Pacific Dawn yet.

Regal Princess Callsign is ZCBU4, and she's registered in Bermuda.

You can usually get good info from the US Coastguard at http://psix.uscg.mil/PSIX/VesselSearch.aspx

You just have to be careful because there may be several vessels with the same name.

I found Pacific Dawn's call sign - on the Sydney ports page that I check for work it has the specifc details of vessel movements, and I also discovered it lists the callsigns.

Dawn's is MZCE9

If anyone is interested in more technical stuff, I compared details of Pacific Dawn and Sun Princess..they've got very similar dimensions.

Bow to Bridge on both is 46m

Beam (width) of both is 32.25 (Pacific Sun is 31m)

Length - P.Dawn is 245 and Sun P is 261.

and they also list the measurement from "keel to truck". I know what the keel is, but truck?:confused:

I guess it's the term for the top of the mast though, because Pacific Dawn's measurement is "60.25m or 55.5m with mast lowered" and Sun Princess is "56.74 with mast lowered".

So Pacific Dawn is only 1.24m lower than Sun Princess - should make for some exciting sailaways under the bridge! :)

Yes..not too much room under the Sydney Harbour Bridge for PD..when we arrived on Regal Princess 2/10..I was in cabin looking out as we passed under SHB at 0430...I reckon about 3 metres clearance we had.

Regal fitted through Panama Canal with 2 metres either side, we were told. I don't think PD will ever have to return to South America.:confused:

and they also list the measurement from "keel to truck". I know what the keel is, but truck?:confused:

I guess it's the term for the top of the mast though,

Good call Riffraff.

The truck is often a small piece of wood at the top of a mast or a flagpole - usually with a hole in it for a halyard to be run through.

A fairly old nautical term and not often seen these days.:)

Mmmmm minties :) I get a nasty sweet tooth round this time of day :D

Pretty sky she's sailing into :) Is it definatley updating Geoff? You capturing it?

Am still at work Jo.

Will start capping in around 1\2 hour. Will be prettier at sunset.

Haven't checked to see if every frame is picking up, but I have seen several updates since I posted.

Cheers

Geoff

Mmmmm minties :) I get a nasty sweet tooth round this time of day :D

Pretty sky she's sailing into :) Is it definatley updating Geoff? You capturing it?

Update: Definately updating and definately capturing.

Cheers

Good evening everyone,

I was just looking at the pacific dawn cruise cam, and I think I spied land. Any idea wot I'm looking at?

Nev.

Hi Nev,

Not sure, Neilius may be a bit more clued. Lot of Islands in the area, making for an interesting evening.

Cheers

HI all PD fans,

Guess what is working again!!!!!!!!!

(copying for live, and an attachment for the cap I saved)

Definately a minties moment, not a minxys moment! :p

pacificdawn_bridge.jpg

Cheers

Geoff

Maybe a minxy moment after all. I have caught up on this post the last 2 days at work, and the scoop of a working webcam was not showing on my work PC. My work PC is more heavily filtered, so I do not see picture links from several sites there.

Sometimes there is a downside when the info is posted in pictures, and not all can see.

Cheers

Geoff

Archived