Cruising vs Europe vacation

Fogfog

this year instead of three weeks in Italy like last year..we decided to cruise for the Christmas break--seeing it as a generally economical option for a vacation.

Reasoning that the dollar's weakness made Europe unreasonable right now.

Last year we spent three glorious weeks--including 3 through Christmas in Venice..and days all over the north of Italy--even at a resort in the Italian alps...

Great wines are reasonable as is great food. And there is lots to see ....having lived in Italy--we try to get back often to see friends.

Well imagine our surprise after compiling the costs of our cruise, the wine tab, martini bar, excursions, tips etc..

the difference between 3 weeks in Italy (euro at pretty close to todays rates) vs our cruise was...

.only $500. :eek: So much for that economy scale:rolleyes:

Anyone else find this type of thing to be the case?

this year instead of three weeks in Italy like last year..we decided to cruise for the Christmas break--seeing it as a generally economical option for a vacation.

Reasoning that the dollar's weakness made Europe unreasonable right now.

Last year we spent three glorious weeks--including 3 through Christmas in Venice..and days all over the north of Italy--even at a resort in the Italian alps...

Great wines are reasonable as is great food. And there is lots to see ....having lived in Italy--we try to get back often to see friends.

Well imagine our surprise after compiling the costs of our cruise, the wine tab, martini bar, excursions, tips etc..

the difference between 3 weeks in Italy (euro at pretty close to todays rates) vs our cruise was...

.only $500. :eek: So much for that economy scale:rolleyes:

Anyone else find this type of thing to be the case?

Yes and we much prefer to visit the Med on a land trip than on a cruise. In addition to the very minimal cost differential, we love the cities when the day trippers are gone and we much prefer the foods and wines available locally to ship cuisine.

I save quite a bit by pre-paying hotels in USD months before travelling and have found wonderful dining options everywhere I travel that are off the tourist track and a great value. No schedules to follow is also a big plus.

Two very different experiences and I would have no interest in cruising the area again.

Cruising and land touring have there respective merits, but your specific example and premise (that the costs are comparable) is kind of skewed.

You cruised the Caribean at the highest peak fare season (Christmas, probably paying 40% more than a month earlier) vs. touring Italy at nearly the lowest off-peak season (same time), lowest unless you're at a ski resort. Although you mentioned 'mountain resort' you probably didn't stay in a better known ski resort I figure this since better hotels (or 'any' hotel in some) from Christmas to the first weekend in January only accept 7 day reservations (many-most only take 10-14 days then).

You're comparing apples and oranges (I like them both) and even if you were comparing Christmas on a cruise ship to August in Italy you'd still be comparing different experiences.

I think your point - which has merit - is that you can control your costs much more flexibly on a land tour and with a little ingenuity have a great trip that isn't rapaciously priced even when the dollar is weak relative to the euro.

I will be going on my first cruise in Sept 08 in the Western Med. I spent 12 days in Italy in June of 06. Fell in love with Italy, especially Rome.

I jumped at the chance to do this cruise to sample Spain, France, return to Tuscany and Rome and see Crosica, and Northern Africa. I plan on spending the same amount of money that I did on my land vacation. What I am interested in experiencing is unpacking once, returning to the ship every night and finding out what one can discover on these day trips while in port.

My one reservation , from my experiences in Mexico, is the day that the cruise ships are in port everything is more expensive for all tourists. I hope if we get away from the port city we will fine prices that are not inflated.

Thanks for sharing your opinion about your experiences on both land and cruise vacation.

I guess we figured having a cruise was going to be much cheaper than our 3 weeks abroad. We flew in and out of Swizerland--had a car for the time there--and drove south through Como, Liguria,onto Tuscany, Veneto where we rented a nice house....stayed several days in Venice and then joined our friends (who were staying at length) at a resort in the mts...then drove back out through Zurich. to fly back.

One major difference--is fine wines at very economical prices can be had all over Italy vs marked up mediocre bottles on the ship...I still miss being able to go to a cantina overseas and buy great table wines in bulk.

Anther big expense was excursions vs just about everything to see is free in Italy---or you can find bundled admissions to things like museums in Padova etc..vs the excursions prices etc..

Its not a complaint I am making--just and observation that we were surprised--- that in the end--the cruise didn't save us much at all.

We had a nice time but it wasn't a bargain

...the cruise did offer the convenience of unpacking once and no jet lag and long delays with departures/returns etc.

But great stays in Europe can be had if you think and travel like the locals.

My DW and I have taken an annual two week trip to Europe, traveling independently, each of the past seven years. We enjoy being "on the ground", and rent cars to give us freedom and flexiblity in traveling. We spent two weeks in Greece in September, and found travel costs there to be more reasonable (then London, Rome & Paris). We have decided to pursue independent travel as long as we are able (We're mid 50's). However, the Euro exchange rate IS daunting!

We have also cruised 10+ times, mostly in the Caribbean. We love that too. It's really a personal choice. If someone feels uncomfortable traveling in a foreign country, the security of the cruise ship can quiet those concerns.

Another foreign travel option, without the Euro penalty, is South America. We loved Argentina and Uruguay.:)

My DW and I have taken an annual two week trip to Europe, traveling independently, each of the past seven years. We enjoy being "on the ground", and rent cars to give us freedom and flexiblity in traveling. We spent two weeks in Greece in September, and found travel costs there to be more reasonable (then London, Rome & Paris). We have decided to pursue independent travel as long as we are able (We're mid 50's). However, the Euro exchange rate IS daunting!

We have also cruised 10+ times, mostly in the Caribbean. We love that too. It's really a personal choice. If someone feels uncomfortable traveling in a foreign country, the security of the cruise ship can quiet those concerns.

Another foreign travel option, without the Euro penalty, is South America. We loved Argentina and Uruguay.:)

Yes South America is becoming appealing isn't it...we love traveling independently and have done so for about 25yrs (college to present--we're in our mid 40s)

We may look south as well for some of that---The dollar to euro exchange is TOUGH

the Brits we met while cruising were enjoying the strong pound as were the other Europeans with the strong euro--

Ah for the days of Reagan when the dollar was worth 10 FF!!:rolleyes:

There are two big reasons why we won't be cruising or traveling in Europe anytime soon:

1) The weak dollar makes everything in Europe very expensive

2) The cost of air travel to Europe has doubled in the last couple of years

We've cruised Europe three times and we've traveled in Europe over a 100 days total -- too bad, as we really love all that Europe offers.

Kel

We cancelled our Med. Cruise last year in favour of doing a Land Trip instead. We saved at least $2,000 by not cruising and we are now addicted to Europe by Land. We're doing Greece on a ship in September as the logistics of doing that on our own wouldn't have been worthwhile, but after that...land trip all the way.

Hi,

I'm not sure how you guys are doing the math.

I cruised the med in 2007 for 12 nights. Cost $1300 (no air).

Hotels in Europe are $$$$ compared to US or Canada. Even

a small room in a poor hotel chain (3 star) is $300 a night and that includes nothing (no food!!). Food is also $$$$ in Europe. $5.00

for a coke or an ice cream! Cruises are cheap in my opinion.

Yes, the time in port does limit what you see. Airfare is still $$$$ but

I'm going back in 2008 for $1300 again WITH a $200 on board

credit!!

My 2 cents (that I save cruising!)

A skier's perspective - for many years, a europhile could honestly say that for an east coast US resident, it was cheaper or at least financially more attractive to ski in the Alps that the Rockies.

Although off season airfare was 50% more than flying west (now about 100%) once you got to Europe, the lift tickets were comparatively cheap, even in Switzerland, and hotels with their half board arrangements were a much better value (and culinary experience) than the Rockies. Example: in Feb. '95, I stayed in a ***hotel in St. Anton (as a single) and my hotel bill, incl. hot buffet breakfast, 4 course dinner AND bar bill AND a couple long distance phone calls (one overseas) was less than $650 for 6 nights, probably would've been less than $600 in January. In the Rockies you'd have paid that for the hotel alone with meals at eye popping prices. Lift tickets in europe were half the price of the US and lessons 1/3.

Now, you have to go for the cultural experience. Its still worth it on a lot of levels (lift tickets and lessons are still cheaper). Zermatt last New Years was price intense... If I were skiing Italy, I'd probably look to Arabba in the Dolomites and Courmayeur in the east among the places with big lift served terrain for deals. But just like the continent in summer, there are beautiful little places (by the score) with limited but interesting skiing amidst incredible scenery and more interesting culturally. I'd like to ski Champoluc in Italy and Gargellen in Austria.

So many places so little time.

Thursday night Alta! :)

Hi,

a small room in a poor hotel chain (3 star) is $300 a night and that includes nothing (no food!!). Food is also $$$$ in Europe. $5.00

credit!!

I don't mind sharing my math. We always book a balcony...cost at the time on Royal Princess was $3,200 Per Person US for 12 days. Take air out of the equation as we'd pay that regardless. We booked a great place in Provence for $1,200 for the week, surrounded by awesome markets and wine that was 9 Euro for 5 litres..(It was good too ;) ) We then moved on to Tuscany for a week and paid around $1,300 for that rental. We had a car for three weeks which cost us $1,200, but keep in mind, that was three weeks, and we'd have had some of that expense if we'd have done the cruise because we still had pre and post cruise stays booked. We took the train into Florence for 8 Euro rather than the couple of $100 they want on the ship and did Paris and Rome on our own, as well as the Italian Riviera.

So $3,200 x 2 = $6400 + Tips + Excursions + onboard spending

or $1,200 + $1,300 + $1,200 = $3,700. I took around 900 Euro spending on the land trip.

We had the most amazing time doing it on our own. We set our schedule, come and go as we pleased, ate dinner in our bathing suits if we liked, loved every second of it. It should also be noted, I'm Canadian. When we cruised the Med. in 05 we paid as high as 1.65 for the Euro, this trip it was down to 1.45 around the same as you're paying now with the US$.

Hi,

credit!!

We have stayed in very nice 4 star hotels under 150E per night, very nice 3 stars for 120 or so, some less. All included a full breakfast. We very seldom book chain hotels as there are far better options. I have also used Priceline to get 4 stars in Paris and London for $100 USD and these happen to be chains like Meridien and Novotel.

We don't drink coke so cannot comment. As for gelato, the side street shops sell it for about 2 E for a large cone, cheaper than in the states at a Haagen Dazs and far better quality.

We dined and drank very well for about $200 per day per couple and our most recent trip, three months ago to Italy, was the most expensive as we went with friends who needed things like an elevator, front desk, etc. Normally, we would stay at a very nice 3 star property in a great location and not care about elevators and such.

We are going back to Italy again this fall and also to Germany and Austria at the holidays. I have all my rooms booked, all in 4 star pensions or hotels and am not paying more than E 125 per night with breakfast included. One is E78 a night and is in the heart of Vienna.

On a cruise, we choose a balcony or better for some privacy from the masses and dine often in the specialty restaurants for the same reason, as well as better food and service. We pay extra for decent coffee, bottled water, etc and it all adds up. Short port times and expensive transport when on a quick stop like that really add to the cost; on a land trip we generally use public transportation.

With research and planning, we can go to Europe for ten nights for what we spend on a ship for a week in the Caribbean on a line we enjoy (HAL).

Hi,

credit!!

My math comes out about the same. But, it is my guess the OP is booking a suite or mini at much higher prices than our insides. Plus... our bar tap is very moderate while the OP sounds like they enjoy their wine and are will to pay for the premiums.

We found our pre and post times in places like Rome, Venice and London to be much more per day when talking total costs (room / food / tours / transportation).

Both land and sea based touring has its advantages and either can be done top cabin or on $5 a day plan (woops make that $500 a day) ;)

Hi,

credit!!

Which ship is $1,300 for 12 nights? Is that for a single or $1,300.00pp?

OK as for the math

on our cruise for 11 nights we had one balconey and one inside--cruising with a family of 4--NOT CC, NOT suites etc

add excursions--aruba sail swing, cartagena/Lee Miles and panama/canal by ferry for 4 each time

tips + holiday extra -its Christmas--so each one got essential double

wine every night (the chardonnay we drink can be had on land for about $10 a bottle but the San Marco charges $33 PLUS 15%)

martinis plus 15%

Dinner at Ocean Liners Christmas Eve fees, wine etc

and arcade for kids at about $10 a day

parking for vehicle at Ft L

dog sitter for 12 nights (dropped off night before for our early drive to Ft L

versus

4 tickets rt Florida to Zurich

car & fuel rental rt pick up Zurich/drop Zurich

hotels in Como, Liguira, Pisa

house is Veneto..inclusive with lr with fireplace, all linens, washer/dryer etc

Christmas Lunch at arguably one of THE best resturants in all of Venice (arranged by our hotel Mgr who got us a table)

Hotel in Venice for 3 nights over Christmas time--2 days before and one day after

Hotel/spa resort in alps for several days include all spa use and meals (fabulous dinners, fabulous spa)

meals at resturants daily

groceries daily

tickets into special exhibits/ for example taking boys up Tower in Pisa

and special art exhibits in Padua etc

and vaporetto/museum passes in Venice good for 3 days etc etc

Many historic sites, museums and catherdrals are free

gratuties

parking for vehicle in US etc

shake well and ta da--our costs were only $500 apart...

Why can we do them for about the same price (which shocked us)

--Maybe because Good Wines in Italy can be had cheap

--and we know how to find resturaunts etc that locals enjoy

--and we live like we did when we lived in Italy--also renting a house for a week (even with paying the outrageous per day utilities there)

--plus buying groceries for snacks/breakfast at house

yes it shocked us:eek: --That was the point of my post. By the time we added the two vacations up--there was no big difference...

Christmas is considered a mini high season in many parts of Europe because people travel during that break...at least all over Italy

and Christmas is high in the Carribean.

We had expected to save $ cruising--but in the end it was only $500 less overall.

Cruising just makes things simpler. That's why I like it. You get on unpack and don't have to face this again for 12 days. You don't have to waste time getting lost, hauling luggage in train stations, tipping every person that you meet, paying for taxis (at questionable rates).

One of my biggest complaints is that on land you just don't get the service you do at sea.

Also- at restaurants in Europe- you are expected to order courses and the tab can be very high for a meal that would have been just as good and cheaper on the ship.

Just some observations.

I like having a floating doctor footsteps away in case of an emergency (my family has used this service at least once on half of our cruises).

I like having the same wait staff each night to ask about our day. I like dining with the same people each night and making new friends and comparing travel experiences.

What I like to do is spend a few nights at the beginning of a Europe cruise on land (we did Madrid and Barcelona) pre-cruise and then Venice and London post cruise. I think it was the best of both worlds but we still favor the cruise part for the value and convenience.

Hi,

credit!!

yes please share where you found 12 nights at $1300...we'd be interested to know too.

also--we dont drink cokes here in the US--and would bnever pay the 2 euro a coke in Italy.

coffee is 1 euro at any bar service

we buy the water in the grocery stores in markets--the big liter bottles shrink wrapped in packs of 6.....at the markets a 1 lt bottle itself is between 20-40 cents...

gelato is a recreational food not a daily food--but even for the 4 of us its less than 10 euro in the best gelateria at our "hometown in umbria" to pick up and go.

Cruising just makes things simpler.

You don't have to waste time getting lost, hauling luggage in train stations, tipping every person that you meet, paying for taxis (at questionable rates).

One of my biggest complaints is that on land you just don't get the service you do at sea.

Also- at restaurants in Europe- you are expected to order courses and the tab can be very high for a meal that would have been just as good and cheaper on the ship.

Just some observations.

My experiences are nothing like yours.

In 20 trips to Europe, I have never been "expected" to order courses. In Italy, I generally order a pasta and a salad or appetizer or similar. No issues or comments. I have never had a meal on a mass market line to compare with the fabulous, fresh foods I have enjoyed in Italy over the course of 34 years travelling there.

And I find the service to be very good in general.

As for having to constantly tip, I find that to be true on cruise ships.

Taxis are metered and I have only had an issue once, when getting in a non metered cab in Rome. My own fault as I did not check. I have experienced worse in the Caribbean when on cruises.

I find the pace of a land vacation perfect for me. No tenders, no lines, no masses of people, no schedules to keep.

To each his own...

In September 2006 DW and I did Florence Italy for a week. The Euro exchange rate then was $1.29 to 1 We rented an apartment in a 500 year old building that was fantastic, but did have to walk up 4 flights of stairs, for 1000 Euros (prepaid in US $1300 before the trip) for 7 nights. We walked everywhere in Florence except to the airport and took 2 bus tours to Sienna and the Chianti wine country for less than 50 Euros per person. Meals were expensive for dinner, but we did eat at very good non tourist restaurants. Everything is ala carte and dinner with wine was about 125 Euros for the 2 of us per night and there were not tips or taxes added to the bills. Lunch was cheap as we usually shred a pizza for about 10 Euros. At our lunches we ordered a liter of the house Chianti for 8-10 Euros. I would guess that we spent about 200 Euros per day for food, water and snacks, gelato, etc.. The taxi cost to the airport was 25 Euros each way. RT air from Birmingham to Florence was about $900 per person. Looking back at our credit card bills and other receipts (tried to use CC as much as possible as we got better exchange rate) we spent about 2900 Euros for the week and did it what I would consider 1st class. At that time in 2006 2900 Euros was worth $3741 in US dollars, today that would cost about $4400 us Dollars or about $628 per day..

In September we are booked on a 10 day Western Mediterranean cruise on the Century from Barcelona that goes to 5 countries and 8 ports, RT air is about the same as 2006 at little less than $900 per person. We have a 2A balcony cabin and our cruise cost will be $4600 for the 2 of us, tours about another $1200 and tips, wine and incidentals maybe another $1000, ($6800 total) so yes the cruise is more expensive than a 10 day land trip to Florence ($6300) by about $500, but again comparing a land tour to a cruise is not comparing Apples to Oranges. A 10 day land trip to the same 5 countries and 8 ports is not feasible and would cost several thousands more with all the added transportation costs and we would be worn out so much from the hectic travel schedule that we would need another vacation when we got home.

A skier's perspective - for many years, a europhile could honestly say that for an east coast US resident, it was cheaper or at least financially more attractive to ski in the Alps that the Rockies.

Although off season airfare was 50% more than flying west (now about 100%) once you got to Europe, the lift tickets were comparatively cheap, even in Switzerland, and hotels with their half board arrangements were a much better value (and culinary experience) than the Rockies. Example: in Feb. '95, I stayed in a ***hotel in St. Anton (as a single) and my hotel bill, incl. hot buffet breakfast, 4 course dinner AND bar bill AND a couple long distance phone calls (one overseas) was less than $650 for 6 nights, probably would've been less than $600 in January. In the Rockies you'd have paid that for the hotel alone with meals at eye popping prices. Lift tickets in europe were half the price of the US and lessons 1/3.

Now, you have to go for the cultural experience. Its still worth it on a lot of levels (lift tickets and lessons are still cheaper). Zermatt last New Years was price intense... If I were skiing Italy, I'd probably look to Arabba in the Dolomites and Courmayeur in the east among the places with big lift served terrain for deals. But just like the continent in summer, there are beautiful little places (by the score) with limited but interesting skiing amidst incredible scenery and more interesting culturally. I'd like to ski Champoluc in Italy and Gargellen in Austria.

So many places so little time.

Thursday night Alta! :)

We do live on the east coast ==though our airport isn't the biggest bargain hub it could be...:o

Last yr was our teens first experience in snow--and they loved it. The Dolomites are amazing and we will probably go back for them to take lessons and spend a week or so...

The hotel had an amazing spa and the food--4-5 course dinners and huge breakfasts was included in our fare per night. We had two amazing rooms with private baths ..with mt views...

In that region, the menus were in Italian and German--which works for us--we read Italian...The region has a rich and intersting history.

We were in the Anteselva region and at the time

some cross country-bi-atholon groups was training around the lake area...I forget which...

We find that from Fl to fly west and stay in a comparable hotel in the US is far more costly than flying to Europe and staying there.

Last yr our tickets at Christmas time were like $600pp Fl-Zurich.

We keep wanting to see more of the US and go west but have yet to find the deals.

Any tips for ski deals that are family friendly--renting a condo etc would be appreciated...

otherwise Its Europe again for us.

Cruising just makes things simpler. That's why I like it. You get on unpack and don't have to face this again for 12 days. You don't have to waste time getting lost, hauling luggage in train stations, tipping every person that you meet, paying for taxis (at questionable rates).

I think it would greatly depend on your definition of "Simpler". Now don't get me wrong, I think crusing is a great way to see Europe for the first time. You get to see 5 or 6 different countries, and you get to decide where you like and where you don't and where perhaps you'd like to go back to and explore in detail with little investment. You don't like somewhere, just get back on the ship. My idea of Simpler is to wake up in the morning whenever I want without fear of missing a tour and figure out what do I want to do that day. Hit a fabulous market in the morning for cheese and baquettes and lounge by the pool in the afternoon, go wine tasting, or is this the day we'll venture down to Antibes for lunch. Getting lost sometimes is half the fun. We got lost in Chianti, now how bad can that be?

Travel is not always about how much you can cram into one day or one port, sometimes it's about taking it slow and finding those off the map little places that never see a cruise ship passenger.

We do live on the east coast ==though our airport isn't the biggest bargain hub it could be...:o

Last yr was our teens first experience in snow--and they loved it. The Dolomites are amazing and we will probably go back for them to take lessons and spend a week or so...

The hotel had an amazing spa and the food--4-5 course dinners and huge breakfasts was included in our fare per night. We had two amazing rooms with private baths ..with mt views...

In that region, the menus were in Italian and German--which works for us--we read Italian...The region has a rich and intersting history.

We were in the Anteselva region and at the time

some cross country-bi-atholon groups was training around the lake area...I forget which...

We find that from Fl to fly west and stay in a comparable hotel in the US is far more costly than flying to Europe and staying there.

Last yr our tickets at Christmas time were like $600pp Fl-Zurich.

We keep wanting to see more of the US and go west but have yet to find the deals.

Any tips for ski deals that are family friendly--renting a condo etc would be appreciated...

otherwise Its Europe again for us.

Inexpensive Skiing! Good Luck...

All I can do is try to get my family (6) on the slopes once a year. Every few years they'll let me go single - like this weekend.

In the US finding an 'underpriced' condo is the best you can do. Unfortunately (for my wallet) the hassle of transporting kids in winter with ski equipment means that I'm very partial to slopeside accomodations. But...

It sounds like you were in the Val Gardena area in the Dolomites and there is a hamlet Alpe de Siusi on the Sella Ronda circuit around there that has a lot of slopeside accomodations.

http://www.dolomitesworld.com/sellaronda/?ln=EN

http://www.alpineskimaps.com/Italy.htm

Generally, the snow conditions are chancier on the south side of any mountain range and Italy usually falls into that catagory. As a result, I really like the Arlberg in Austria which is a snow pocket. It ends to be pricey but the hotels tend to be either on or very near the slopes. Oberlech is good for slopeside, the Hotel Montana there is not economy (but not pricey by Lech standards) but the restaurant is simply fabulous and you'll end up rubbing elbows with retired Olympic gold medalist Patrick Ortleib whose family owns the place. The Hotel Cresta there is nice, nice people and less pricey.

http://www.lech-zuers.at

I love Murren Switzerland. Its hard to say why except that its little, comparatively undeveloped, just close to heaven. Andermatt is a better snow pocket though. The big watershed passes tend to collect snow, the Arlberg, the St. Gotthard.

What is cool about European skiing though is that you CAN rough it and stay cheap in some spectacular settings. While the skiing in the west may be 'better' strictly evaluating snow and routes, the US simply has no comparable to millenium embedded mountain culture of the alpes.

Check these places out, Italy has a system of 'refugio' also. If you do some research you'll find great places.

http://www.sac-cas.ch/index.php?id=416

or mountain hotels that are Up there. The only trick is transporting luggage. Bort is at a cable car terminus though.

http://www.berghaus-bort.ch/

http://www.wengen-muerren.ch/sonnenberg/

http://www.hotel-kurhaus.arolla.com/

Ski Heil!!

THANK YOU WOODOFPINE!

Wait until Dh gets home and sees all of that helpful info!!

Already looking at next Christmas...

Looking at the site with the trail maps etc...we were in/near Pusteria..

really lovely...

http://www.alpineskimaps.com/htm/italy/cortina/pusteria.html

I went to language school with a guy who's family own a ski resort in Austria...Wish I had his contact info now!:cool:

Here's a great site that has a lot of trail maps... I was trying to think of it before (it's on my favorites at home) then I remembered 'bergfex'

http://www.bergfex.com/italien/

Europe has suffered for global warming more than the US (due to the tempering gulf stream). As a result, early season (ie. December) is chancy even though prices are high during the holidays. In many European ski resorts, its difficult to make reservations outside the Saturday-Saturday 7 day cycle, ne'er impossible during the holidays.

The best price period is January, and conditions are usually pretty good then too. If you can go in January you can find some attractive package deals. If you go earlier, its a good idea to consider a resort with glacier skiing. In the Dolomites, this means Marmolada near Arabba; otherwise, Cervinia on the south side of the Matterhorn ridge (the skiing connects with Zermatt's) off the Val d'Aosta has glacier too. Courmayeur has access to the "Mer de Glace" (Sea of Ice) on the Mont Blanc massiff on the otherside of the Mont Blanc tunnel from Chamonix, but the Mer de Glace isn't really a ski area per se (guided skiing) and isn't part of Courmayeur's lift/marked piste area

Ski school for youngsters in Europe is... well... different. In the US it's 'Let's have FUN!'. I still get an occassional ribbing from my kids for putting them through ski school in Austria. It is highly regimented compared to the US (maybe the Italians are more Vita Dolce about it) and technique oriented to "Prepare you for National Team, Jah!" In Austria, Friday in ski school is ALWAYS ski school ski race day... and yes, they hand out medals... on a podium (gold, silver, bronze) and we wonder why they win all the medals every 4 years! :D Friday evening at the Hotel Montana included the Ortlieb's gushing inquiry, "How did they do in the race?" Patrick's Albertville Downhill Gold in an enormous pyramid display in the background... Yah, ski school in Austria is a 'take no prisoners' endeavor!

Ski Heil!

Archived