35 day Maasdam cruise with 3 kids? Help! Advice! Please!

feonad

Kids are 9, and 8 and 2. The two year old is in a stroller and all excursions must be light weight stroller friendly.

If you can recommend any thing fun for us to do at any of these ports?

We are traveling on the 35 day cruise leaving Boston on July 5.

We booked it because it required no flying and it sounded nice with a two year old not to fly. Also I am dying to do extended cruising.

We are 3 adults and 3 children (age 2, 8 and 9) We were thinking of taking a cab or two and going out on our own to explore.

Also any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Boston, Massachusetts CHECK IN STARTS AT 0100P 07-05-2008 05:00 PM AT SEA 07-06-2008

Sydney,Canada Corner Brook, Newfoundland 07-08-2008 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

St Anthony, Newfoundland 07-09-2008 10:00 AM 07:00 PM

Qaqortoq, Greenland 07-11-2008 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

AT SEA 07-12-2008 AT SEA 07-13-2008

Isafjord, Iceland 07-14-2008 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Akureyri, Iceland NO AIR TO THIS PORT CITY 07-15-2008 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Seydisfjordur Iceland 07-16-2008 08:00 AM 05:00 PM AT SEA 07-17-2008

Lerwick, Shetland Islands 07-18-2008 08:00 AM 05:00 PM Stavanger, Norway 07-19-2008 08:00 AM 04:00 PM Oslo, Norway 07-20-2008 12:00 PM 08:00 PM AT SEA 07-21-2008

Rotterdam, The Netherlands 07-22-2008 07:00 AM 05:00 PM

Cherbourg, France 07-23-2008 10:00 AM 05:00 PM

Milford Haven, Wales, UK 07-24-2008 10:00 AM 07:00 PM

Dublin, Ireland 07-25-2008 08:00 AM 11:00 PM

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK 07-26-2008 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Belfast, Northern Ireland 07-27-2008 07:00 AM 06:00 PM

Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, UK 07-28-2008 10:00 AM 05:00 PM Torshavn, Faroe Islands 07-29-2008 09:00 AM 06:00 PM AT

Reykjavik, Iceland 07-31-2008 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Nanortalik, Greenland 08-03-2008 08:00 AM 04:00 PM AT SEA 08-04-2008

St.Johns,Canada 08-05-2008 12:00 PM 08:00 PM

St Pierre, France 08-06-2008 10:00 AM 07:00 PM AT SEA 08-07-2008

Bar Harbor, Maine 08-08-2008 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Boston, Massachusetts 08-09-2008 07:00 AM

I give you loads of credit. Three kids confined in a cabin on a ship for more than a month? I hope you have a great cruise.

I've been to many of the ports listed and to be honest, not many are at all kid friendly. Sydney is a lovely port town, but not much for kids to do. It's great for beautiful views and great seafood. Iceland will be quite cold and there's not anything that would interest young kids. Same for Lerwick and Stavanger--nothing that would interest kids. Oslo is a lovely, clean city and you could do one of their maritime museums. In Dublin, I suggest seeing St. Patricks' Cathredral, Trinity College and the Book of Kells, and a stop at the Guinness factory. Nothing I can give about either the stop in Wales or Belfast, even though I've been to both, there's nothing that would interest a family other than basic sightseeing. In Boston, you could take in a Red Sox game. To be honest, this itinerary, while great for adults, is not at all interesting for kids. The stops are mostly for basic sightseeing without much in the way of interesting tours that would hold the interest of kids as young as yours. I really don't think even older kids would find this itinerary to be something fun and interesting. I think you're going to be ready for sainthood once you get home from this ambitious cruise with three kids as young as yours. I truly wish you an excellent cruise with loads of wonderful memories.

I've done the Voyage of the Vikings three times, and visited most of these ports at least once---some many times.

Frankly, I can't think of much of anything to interest kids while ashore. If I were you I would start researching the ports to make plans on what to do.

You are aware there are several tender ports, I hope.

Oh, the older kids may be able to swim in the Lido pool. Since it's enclosed the temp is usually ok.

Good luck.

Well despite all the naysayers here I think it sounds fabulous! I envy you and hope you have an amazing, memorable experience with your family. I'm sure you will have lifelong memories and your 9 and 8 year old in particular will be able to see and experience things most kids never do. You will find that often people here are very negative about children on cruises, especially a cruise like this. Please ignore the thoughtless comments and consider posting your question on the Family Board. The people there are much friendlier to families and have great advice for those traveling with children.

feonad,

Have you checked on the Voyages of the Vikings July 2008 Roll Call? Many of us going on the 35 day cruise have linked up on that thread. There are lists of tours and you can get a flavor of who is doing what. I would also suggest you go to the HAL site and check the tours for this cruise as well as the ports. Some are tenders so they aren't those down the gangway and onto the pier ports. When our children were younger we were always amazed at the things they liked and still talk about as adults that we didn't even really notice. A park in Bermuda where we ate lunch and there were all sorts of feral cats and kittens on the fringes, a playground near a school on another island where there were chickens. Rocks they found that were pretty or special or seashells; shops where people talked with them and made them feel important. Travel isn't just seeing things - it is being there and that will make even relatively boring places seem interesting to your little ones. Just having a place where they can run and make noise and jump around will make some ports memorable them after the relative quiet of the ship. Yes, this is a pretty strenuous sort of cruise for little kids - some of the ports even for grownups take a lot of imagination but are an experience. There are bound to be a few younger kids on the ship and as another poster said the crew will probably make a great deal out of them since there won't be big numbers of young kids aboard. Come join our Roll Call. We're having a get together once we all get aboard! margretha

feonad,

In the Roll Call-Holland America - then check Maasdam thread on page 4 of the July 5th Voyage of the Vikings 35 day cruise there is someone asking to get in touch with others who have young children. They have a 7 and 9 year old. Just thought I'd let you know.

margretha

I guess it is good to know it is a bit a challenge.

I am starting the research now. I have seen the pictures and they are breath taking so I know the 8 and 9 year old with appreciate it. It is impossilbe not too.

My two year old was the nicest behaved in our group including me.

How do I join the roll call? You can wave to us on board the ship. My sister in law has long blond hair. She is with the 9 year old. I have short brown hair and I have the 2 year old and the very tall 8 year old. Certainly we won't be missed on that ship.

I don't understand why everybody is so negative about bringing 3 kids on a cruise. I think it's a lot easier to handle 3 kids on a cruise for 35 days then at home where you are busy cooking, cleaning, doing the laundry etc. Now you can spend your time freely with the kids as there is nothing you need to do.

Tendering with kids doesn't seem a problem at all for me. The staff is more than willing to carry the stroller for you to the tender and the kids like tendering probably more than the adults.

Maybe an idea while you are in Reykjavik, go to the blue lagoon. http://www.bluelagoon.com/

Your itinerary is amazing. My DH and I would love it.

However 35 DAYS :eek: with 3 children... I'd make sure that one of the adults is always willing to skip a port to give the kids a break from all the stress of touring, getting up early, missing down time, missing regular meals etc. Because adults can tour, follow strict schedules and meet deadlines, dress for dinners etc. doesn't make it easy for kids. For any age. I'd try to make this as relaxing and "vacation like" as possible for the kids. And it definitley will take sacrificing from the adults. Sure it can be done. But I'd have as much planned ahead of time, to avoid as many unforeseen "events" as possible. Even if there is a kids center, with that length of cruise, there aren't going to be a whole lot of kids aboard. But when possible I'd make sure your kids can interact with other kids as much as possible. They are going to miss their friends at home and their usual summer activities.

Definitely go to the Family board. The 2 yr old will need a lot of accomodations.

Have a great time. GULP!;)

Good for you taking the kids on such a great adventure. Many years ago we took our child "on the road" with her fathers band. Everyone though we were crazy. Sometimes we were away from home for 3 months at a time. Our daughter loved being on the road and living in hotels. She always was treated like a princess by the other band members and hotel staffs as well. Granted she got a little spoiled, but by 3 years old she could hold a conversation with an adult better than most adults could. What your kids will gain from this experience will far, far out way any stress you will encounter. When and if things get a little crazy, just remember that the stress will fade from your memory, but the fun will be the memories you keep forever. One word of warning-all that traveling as a child never really left my daughters soul. She now works for a cruise line as an entertainer, so I only get to see her a couple times year, that makes me sad, but she loves what she is doing, so that makes me very happy. Have a great time and don't even give it a second thought. The kids will be fine, even if they have to entertain themselves at times.

I think it is fabulous that you are taking the three kids on this cruise.

Some of my husband's most talked about trips were the transAtlantics he did as a child (at least one was on HAL).

I am excited for you and the kids.

Kids would love the Blue Lagoon...I know I did! Not sure about all day, though. The Grand Circle tour in Iceland definitely would not be stroller friendly. EM

Where is the Blue Lagoon?

We are not dressing up too much. I have some nice tops that wash easy and some black pants. I have to concerve luggage space for dvds. I don't have the energy to be dressing kids up.

I think you and your family will have an amazing and wondeful time!

We are a family of 3 adults and 3 children also, and we NEVER have any problems traveling with the children and they always enjoy it.

I have cruised on the Maadsam ~ it's a beautiful ship. It's very small, but nice.

Have a great trip!

Archived