I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

My husband and I are also staying at the same hotel and he also uses a sleep machine. We are sailing on the same cruise as well. I purchased a Travel Smart by Conair. The set has a small converter box and multiple plugs to attach to the american plug so that it can be used in European outlets. I got the set at ACE hardware. I used this set last year in southern Europe and it worked fine. You can also contact the hotel manager, Anders.Dannemann@firsthotels.dk. I have found him to be very helpful.

I have a question that I haven't seen asked here yet but I am wondering about the customs rules entering Denmark.

I am thinking of picking up a bottle or two of Russian Vodka to bring back as gifts for friends, at home. I know it will be held by the cruise line till we disembark, and that is fine, but will we be likely to have any problems going through customs bringing it in to Denmark? Also, since we will be staying in Copenhagen for a few days after the cruise could we bring back some to use ourselves for those days?

@ critterchick

I´m sending you a email. :)

@ EuropeNow

Islands Brygge is one of the nices area to live in Copenhagen so I´m guessing that the hotel is nice to but i must admit that i have no idea.

@ josiebrown68

In denmark we use a standard european socket with 230 V with either 2 or 3 "legs", I´m sorry that i don´t know the name but look at the picture in this Wikipedia link.

http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stikkontakt

@ sunshine 229

A few bottles of Vodka should not be a problem.

Coming from a plane or ship from outside the EU (Russia) you are allowed to bring anything worth 3.250 DKK without paying taxes.

1 litres of alchohol (over 22%)

4 litres of wine

2 litres of sherry, Champagne.

16 litres of beer.

But you are not living in Denmark so i don´t now if the same rules apply for you.

Hi Danish Viking,

You gave me very good information about a hotel I had booked earlier but have now changed my hotel to the Crown Plaza near the airport. (Guaranteed lowest rate or free night! Got the free night!)

My question is about getting to Freeport from the hotel. We don't know if we will have difficulty getting there by metro and bus on a Monday. Is there construction going on that is impacting the commute? Are some stops closed? If they are what do you recommend? Thanks again for the previous answers.

Sharon

The best option is to take the Øresund train to Østerport and the take bus 26 towards Færgehavn Nord.

The busstop at Kalkbrænderihavnsgade is located just outside the gates to the Freeport terminal.

The train goes every 10 minute and the bus every 20 minute.

Go to rejseplanen.dk and use the English option.

The starting point in the search engine is Ørestad station and the finishing point is either the bus stop or Orientkaj and Sundkaj.

Hi Danish viking. I just wanted to tell you I recently got back from our CPH to Stockholm cruise and had a wonderful time. Thanks for your help. I didn't see as much of Copenhagen as I wanted to, but loved what I did see. Just fyi, you were right about the port site - port site had us coming into Lang. and cruise line Freeport. It ended up being Lang.

From the airport we took the train to Central Station, and that was really easy! We then took a cab to the Marriott, which of course wasn't far, but with bags was just a bit too far for us old folks to manage. We gave the cab driver a little tip, even though it's probably not customary, just because he may have wanted/expected a longer trip. We loved his cab - stopped every time he came to a stand still and started back up immediately when he put his foot on the accelerator!

I was amazed at all the bikes, and also by the fact that even if there's no car/bike traffic in sight, the Danes will politely stand at crosswalks and wait for the "walk" sign! That would never happen here.

We were taken to the ship on Saturday, but then I went back out. I just walked to the Mermaid, Kastellet, and then down to where I could catch the city water "bus."

Very enjoyable city. On Friday evening we went to Tivoli (who doesn't?) and were too jetlagged to stay for the 10 PM performance (Tim) but enjoyed walking around. Before going in, we ate at Wagamama (excellent) and were then too full to ride any of the rides. One thing I'd mention to people is that the pantomime theater is not just for kids, and that peacock curtain is wonderful to watch open and close! I couldn't see the theater times posted, although you could download more info to your phone if it worked in Europe (mine didn't) or certainly you could ask when you bought tickets. I barely saw the curtain close, as I didn't know the schedule. We got a kick out of the beer six pack carriers, too.

We also enjoyed our day on the island of Bornholm - rented a car and explored much of the island. Loved it.

Anyway, thanks for helping all of us tourists!

This may have been covered at some point in the last 4164 posts, but I promise I used the search function and couldn't find the answer. We are sailing out of Copenhagen next year on the 25th of May. Vision of the Seas. My assumption is that we will be departing from Frihavn. (Life would be a lot easier if we left from Langelinie...but I don't believe that to be the case.) I understand the #26 bus terminates before Frihavn on the weekends, and we depart on Saturday, so that is not an option. As such, I'm guessing a taxi would be our best bet (though I honestly prefer public transit, both for the cost savings and the experience of it all, so if there is an alternate way to get to Frihavn by bus or train, please advise). I realize rates could change between now and then, but what would be an average fare for a taxi from the area near Kongens Nytorv to Frihavn?

Danish Viking,

Thank you for the information regarding public transportation from Crown Plaza to Freeport. There was one part on the Rejesplanen English translation that is still in Danish and I couldn't figure out if it would impact our travel - "Important information: Bus 26 - Stoppested nedlæggelse: Stoppestedet Christiansborg kan ikke benyttes.Det skyldes Metro byggeri."

roothy123,

Thanks for posting! I feel a lot more comfortable about dragging our suitcases through the metro. Two weeks to go!

Thank you both again.

Sharon

@ lazyk

Its only the busstop at Christiansborg that are closed because of construction of the new metro line.

@ rasybanks

Usually its at the freeport terminal but check cmport.com for the correct info.

http://www1.cmport.com/en/Ships%20in%20Port/Cruise%20Ships.aspx

Aldi and 7-Eleven is located at Nordhavn station close to the freeport terminal.

@ joyride21

The cruise list for next year is not updated with docking information but there are 8 ship scheduled for 25th of may so it will be a busy day.

A taxi is probably around 150 DKK.

Hi Danish Viking:

We'll be leaving in 3 days. We think we have a pretty good idea what to see, but wonder if you can help us with a couple of questions?

We read that the Cop Card only offers discount on the Grand Tour canal rides if we board at Nyhvn. However, it is free if boarding elsewhere. If so, where?

We'll buy a 72-hr Card. We plan to use it for our commute between the airport/hotel, Central Station/cruise terminal, and sightseeing. Does it provide unlimited usage for transportation within that time?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Cecilia

I'm posting right now from Copenhagen. I arrived this AM around 6:10 and followed Danish Vickings directions for taking the metro from the airport to the Nyhaven area (Kongens Nytorv stop) then walked a few blocks to my hotel. Everything was easy even at what was probably the start of rush hour on a Monday morning. The only problem I encountered in the whole thing were the cobblestone sidewalks...not very Friendly to wheeled luggage ...still doable just kind of bumpy and a little slow.

I,be already been to Nyhaven, taken some pictures and a canal tour and am really enjoying everything so far.

Thanks Danish Viking for your help.

We read that the Cop Card only offers discount on the Grand Tour canal rides if we board at Nyhvn. However, it is free if boarding elsewhere. If so, where?

Cecilia

I contacted DFDS canal tours to find out which one was included in the Copenhagen Card. Here is their response:

The Copenhagen Card is only valid for The Grand Tour from Gammel Strand.

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Lars Edvardsen

Marketing Assistent Canal Tours A/S

Strömma Danmark A/S

Trangravsvej 13

DK-1436 København K

E-mail: hs@canaltours.dk

STRÖMMA Danmark A/S

Sendt: 19. august 2012 18:19

Sendt til: sightseeing

Samtale: Copenhagen Card

Emne: Copenhagen Card

Per the Copenhagen Card's website, Canal Tours Copenhagen is included. I cannot find that information on your website. Can you please let me know which tour is included?

Update to previous post.

Ordered my Copenhagen Card online on August 17 and received it in the mail today. They also sent the booklet to show all of museums and places included with the card. There are two canal tours included:

Nettobadene---Take the blue Netto boats from Nyhavn or Holmens Church or

Canal Tours Copenhagen only from Gammel Strand.

I apologize for asking 2 questions that have probably already been covered, but couldn't find the answers using " search" and there are too many posts. So, here goes:

Can we use a U.S. bank debit card (non chip) to get cash at an ATM at Kastrup airport?

Can U.S. bank credit cards (non chip) be used at all in Copenhagen or should we plan on using cash for everything? If we run out of cash, are they ATM's that we can access with our US cards?

Thanks Danish Viking for all your great advice - you have been a great resource for all on this board.

Mary

Hello Danish Viking:

This may be a silly question from an ex-resident of "Gamle København", but are there any disabled parking spaces/areas in the Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn area? :confused: :rolleyes:

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York.

22 & 23rd cruises - Sapphire Princess B2B, 04 - 11 May & 11 - 18 May, 2013, California Coastal & Wine Country

24th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

25th cruise - Emerald Princess, 01 Oct. - 16 Oct. 2013, 16 Day Cruisetour, Toronto Via Quebec City to New York City

Archived