I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Good Morning, We will be flying into CPH approx 9.30am for a cruise on Vision of the Seas, We have previously ended a cruise but had to get to the airport so took the train to the airport, this time we do want to see a little of the area, can you tell me whether its walkable from the ship to do any sightseeing, we will probably go straight there with our luggage but then have about 2-3 hours in the afternoon, or, would you advise if there is anyway to store our luggage and then go to the ship?

Thanks in advance.

Danish Viking:

I wanted to thank you for all the help you gave us pre-cruise and let you know how it went. We arrived early morning and took the metro, from the airport to the Kongen Nytrov stop and walked a few blocks to the Hotel Bethel. Just for your information, if others ask, we loved this place. Granted it is not fancy, but it is exactly what we like; small, friendly, boutique type hotels. The location was perfect for us.

We are in our late 50’s and enjoy walking. This location on the Nyhavn Canal is beautiful. We enjoyed eating here and on Friday night there was live music. During our 3 days we walked to the Little Mermaid, stopping at the Palace, Marble Church, and the Kastellet. We walked to Christianshavn and climbed the golden church spire. We walked to and toured Rosenburg Slot. We walked to Tivoli one evening and of course we went up and down Stroget a couple times. :)

We had wonderful weather with the exception of some sprinkles one morning that we had planned a canal tour so we did pass on that.

The Hotel Bethel also includes a nice breakfast with the price of a room. Four of us shared a taxi to the pier and it was $23US. I had bought train tickets for us to get to the airport after the cruise, but we were lazy and took a taxi. ($65US)

We loved your city! Thanks again for all your help. :)

Maybe Danish viking knows - I don't. However, you'll no doubt get a kick out of the carriers you can buy there, filled with 5 glasses of beer! I think it cut down on concession lines - good idea!

What are the carriers? How much and were do you buy them!

Thank you

Please forgive me for jumping in here mid-thread, but I've started reading this amazing thread, and it will take me a very long time to try and find my answers. So, I'm jumping in with the questions, and I appreciate all of the help here.

My husband and I will be in Copenhagen post-cruise for 3 full days of sightseeing + a 4th day - that only a partial day, however, as it is our day of debarkation from the ship. We will have the better part of the 4th day to sightsee since we can disembark the ship early after docking at 8:00 a.m. Once we deliver our luggage to our hotel and check in, we will be free to explore for the rest of the day. I'm trying to determine whether I have enough days to spend one outside of Copenhagen visiting the Frederiksborg Castle and grounds.

In order for you to answer this, I realize that you need some idea of what else we intend to see in Copenhagen. In a nutshell, we plan to see the following: walk throughout Copenhagen taking in Nyhavn, Stroget, the City Hall, Amalienborg Palace, Ny Glyptotek, Christiansborg Palace, Christiania, Rosenborg Castle, Museum of Danish Resistance, Danish Jewish Museum, National Gallery of Denmark, one-hour canal tour and Tivoli in the evening. I know -- it's a lot! My questions:

1) Is it possible to fit Frederiksborg Castle in with all of these other sights, or should I keep my sightseeing just within Copenhagen with no day trips? Is there something that I have listed above that I should eliminate in order to have time to visit Frederiksborg Castle?

2) Can you give me specific directions how we reach Frederiksborg Castle? Ordinarily, we sightsee on our own. Where that's not possible, however, we usually have a private guide. I've read that we can get there by train, but I'm not sure how to do that. Could you please share specific directions on how we reach the Castle AND how we return to Copenhagen.

Thanks!

Shelley:confused:

@ Nermal123

Copenhagen is a very compact city so as long as your hotel is located in the downtown area (indre By) and Vesterbro around the central station you are good to go.

@ Nothingtodowithcruise

As noticed elsewhere you are for some reason only having a free trip if you board the ship at Gammel Strand.

Or take Nettobådene from Nyhavn or Holmens Kirke.

Yes the transportation is unlimited.

@ sunshine 229

You are welcome :p

@ marymcgol

There is a thread about atms and non chip/pin cards that probably covers it all.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1641561&highlight=credit+card+copenhagen

@ Donna's Dad

I can´t find the info on the website but here is the email soyou can ask for yourself.

KundeserviceParkering@okf.kk.dk

@ welshrich

You can keep your luggage at the luggage storage at the central station.

Only Nordre Toldbod and Langelinie Pier is walkable from the downtown area.

@ Coolcruise02

Thank you very much, and I´m glad that you enjoyed your stay here in Copenhagen.

@ ShipRiders

One beer costs 45 DKK, between 19:00 and 20:00 on Fridays just before the concerts you can buy them for 10 DKK and the beer stalls around the outdoor stage.

@ MalibuCA

I think that you can do it in 2 days but they will be full packed. :D

The town hall square is not a must see unless you can climp the tower.

Christiania is very unsafe at the moment so do not bring a camera, the police isn´t patroling the area atm because of gangs selling drugs on the socalled Pusher Street.

If you avoid Pusher street its safe enough.

S-train line E will take you directly to Hillerød where Frederiksborg Castle is located.

From here you can take one of 2 busses that together goes in a 10 minute schedule (probably less on a weekend)

301 towards Ullerød/Ålholmparken and 302 towards Sophienborg Alle/Sophienlund will get you to Frederiksborg Slot bus stop just outside the castle.

You can also walk in around 20 minutes.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Hiller%C3%B8d+st,+Hiller%C3%B8d&daddr=55.9314545,12.2990262+to:Frederiksborg+Slot,+Hiller%C3%B8d&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.284908,11.710779&sspn=2.177438,4.916382&geocode=FYtgVQMdkNm7ACnr50g9uUBSRjFOHajvrpSZwg%3BFT5yVQMdEqu7ACmpfiBnlkBSRjGRBodW75k-xA%3BFTCAVQMdw7O7ACFICilZt_egPCnhQSl2l0BSRjFICilZt_egPA&oq=frederiksborg+slot&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=15&via=1

If anyone is interested, I've posted my recent pictures of Copenhagen here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123 There are actually 2 galleries. In the first, Copenhagen is early on in the gallery; in the second, it's at the end.

I only had about 24 jetlagged hours, so didn't see nearly as much as I would have liked, but enjoyed what I did see very much.

Thanks again, Danish viking!

you mentioned above that a taxi to central copenhagen would be 250DKK, but we're wondering how much to budget for the final journey from Freeport terminal to the airport. We want to leave enough money...

Would a taxi from the airport to Frihavn be about the same? We are staying at the Park which is near the airport?

Thanks much!

Hi Danish Viking! My wife and I will be arriving in Copenhagen a couple of days prior to sailing on Vision of the Seas. I've started making plans for the trip and found this wonderful thread.

We will be staying at the Scandic Palace Hotel. I looked online at the Metro information but I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly. If we take the OR 1027 train from the airport for 3 stops, we get off at Kovenhavn H and walk about 10 minutes to the hotel? Or is it more complicated?

Also, I was trying to research local jazz clubs and found several venues. Could you make a recommendation (based upon location to the hotel, safety and tourist-friendly) between: La Fontaine, Jazzhus Montmarte, Copenhagen Jazzhouse or Charlie Scott's.

Many thanks for your assistance!

No the town hall square where the hotel is located is just on the other site of Tivoli so an easy walk from the central station.

Just make sure that you walk left around Tivoli because its much shorter.

Jazz is not my thing but I have only heard good things about Jazzhouse and Montmartre.

Thanks so much for the directions to the Castle and for the safety tips on Christiania. One question - If I need to stay off of Pusher Street, how do we get into Christiania? From what I read, that's the "main drag." I'm not sure how to access the area safely without using Pusher Street. Please advise, and many thanks in advance.

Shelley

Danish Viking

A couple of questions if you have the time.

Eight of us will be coming to Denmark next June. We are looking at staying at the Adina Apartment Hotel. Reviews show it is about a 20 minute walk or an easy bus or train ride to the tourist area or Tivoli.

Can you give us an idea as to how easy it would be to get to the airport?

Also - one of the things we are looking at doing is to go to the Viking Museum (30 km) away and go out on the fiord in a replica. Have you ever done this and is it interesting or just touristy?

Thanks very much for all your reviews - everyone appreciates them!!!

Just a question. We will be in Copenhagen next June on a cruise. I know my husband and our friend would like to do the Carlsburg tour and of course I like beer too. What is the best and most cost effective way of getting there? Appreciate all your advice.

Thanks

Danish Viking

A couple of questions if you have the time.

Eight of us will be coming to Denmark next June. We are looking at staying at the Adina Apartment Hotel. Reviews show it is about a 20 minute walk or an easy bus or train ride to the tourist area or Tivoli.

Can you give us an idea as to how easy it would be to get to the airport?

Also - one of the things we are looking at doing is to go to the Viking Museum (30 km) away and go out on the fiord in a replica. Have you ever done this and is it interesting or just touristy?

Thanks very much for all your reviews - everyone appreciates them!!!

From Adina Apartments, it's quite simple to get to the airport. Walk to Østerport station and take a direct train from Østerport to the airport. The trains run every 10 minutes. From Adina Apartments to the airport, it's a 15 minutes' walk (maybe a bit longer with luggage). Of course you need to be able to handle your luggage yourselves. Østerport station has a "back entrance", which is a footbridge crossing the tracks at the platforms. Using this back entrance will save you some walking, but there are no elevators here. There are elevators at the main entrance from Oslo Plads. Also, the ticket office is at the main entrance, but you can always put your luggage on the platform and then let someone get up to the ticket office to buy tickets.

It should be easy to follow the route on Google Street View. Note that the footbridge connecting the platforms is not the "rusty-red" one, it's the next one (which is difficult to see on streetview), and the access is behind the bus loop.

Thank you for all of the information on this board. We purchased the Copenhagen card before we left. It was very easy to take the train from the airport to Central Station. It was a very easy walk from the Central Station to the Marriott. We enjoyed a canal tour from Gammel Strand with our Copenhagen card last night. Luckily the boat was covered since it was raining.

@ MalibuCA

You can access Pusher Street but hide away your camera while there because they get angry if they mistake you for taking a photo.

But as you can see on this map you can avoid Pusher Street.

http://www.google.dk/imgres?imgurl=http://christianiaboerneteater.dk/CA.ABC.kort.tal.o.lil.total.gif&imgrefurl=http://christianiaboerneteater.dk/CA.ABC.kort.halv.htm&h=798&w=700&sz=362&tbnid=h9wzmuOcD6NZeM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=75&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dkort%2Bover%2Bchristiania%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=kort+over+christiania&usg=__DxI1qt0GsOdkEwo7GmF7WfiufDs=&docid=cBGt67xO6x6LqM&hl=da&sa=X&ei=KZ5MUJTgJYmm4gSquICACg&sqi=2&ved=0CCQQ9QEwAA&dur=250

@ RLK33853

Chrismo already provided alot of info but i will add that Bus 26 stops just outside the hotel at Pakhusvej (the bus to and from Færgehavn Nord) and Søndre Frihavn (to and from Langelinie) bus stops.

Bus 26 stops at Østerport and København H for connection to the airport trains and Kongens Nytorv for the airport Metro line M2.

I have never tried the viking boats but it should be something unique.

Almost all regional and intercity trains from Østerport stops at Roskilde.

Only the ICE/EC trains for Berlin and Hamburg and the regional trains for Nykøbing F on the same departure times does not stops at Roskilde.

@ donnogirl

It depends on where your hotel is located, from the central station bus 26 towards Ålholms plads will get you pretty close if you get of at Kammasvej bus stop.

Enghave S-train station on Line B, C and H (towards Høje Taastrup, Ballerup and/or Frederikssund) is also located pretty close.

As you can see on this map Kammasvej is way closer than the S-train station.

http://map.krak.dk/query?what=map&mop=yp&advert_code=993580

Thanks for the info Danish Viking and Chrismo. Very much appreciated.

quote=Danish viking;35269662]@ MalibuCA

@ RLK33853

Chrismo already provided alot of info but i will add that Bus 26 stops just outside the hotel at Pakhusvej (the bus to and from Færgehavn Nord) and Søndre Frihavn (to and from Langelinie) bus stops.

Bus 26 stops at Østerport and København H for connection to the airport trains and Kongens Nytorv for the airport Metro line M2.

I have never tried the viking boats but it should be something unique.

Almost all regional and intercity trains from Østerport stops at Roskilde.

Only the ICE/EC trains for Berlin and Hamburg and the regional trains for Nykøbing F on the same departure times does not stops at Roskilde.

Archived