paranoid about traveling same day on cruise

Sushiman58

the family booked a July 19 Imaganation Cruise The cruise leaves at 4:00 We booked thru carnival as i won fun ship dollars. I asked for a non stop from Islip NY to Miami or FLL

Well we got a 1 stop that leaves NY at 7:00 gets to PHil at 8:00 and leaves Phil at 10:00 and gets into FLL at 1:10

just hoping no issues and we get to the boat in miami on time

We took Travlex light insurance.

First cruise I need drink to calm down

Steve

the family booked a July 19 Imaganation Cruise The cruise leaves at 4:00 We booked thru carnival as i won fun ship dollars. I asked for a non stop from Islip NY to Miami or FLL

Well we got a 1 stop that leaves NY at 7:00 gets to PHil at 8:00 and leaves Phil at 10:00 and gets into FLL at 1:10

Steve

Hey, Steve... if this was December or January I'd be concerned. However, the weather is pretty good and you're flying into Ft Lauderdale... I'll bet you a DoD you're gonna be fine.

Check in when you get back and let us know how your cruise was... and when I can collect on that bet...

;)

Mach

Always try to get a flight as early as possible. They say they will only start letting you board at 2 or so, yet we have been there at noon and we could board. Try not to worry too much but it is a good thing you have travel insurance, just in case.

At least the port is close to the airport, you can hop a taxi and be there in 15 minutes.

Looks like he actually needs to get from FLL to Miami - I would be a little worried about that arrival time - by the time you get in, collect luggage, and make it to Miami it will be very close to last boarding time.

Hopefully there will be no flight delays or traffic problems to Miami.

Looks like he actually needs to get from FLL to Miami - I would be a little worried about that arrival time - by the time you get in, collect luggage, and make it to Miami it will be very close to last boarding time.

Yikes, I dont have all the ships and their ports memorized. I assumed if he was flying into Ft Lauderdale, he was going out that port, my bad.

That sure is cutting it close. Cant afford even to hit a bad traffic accident on the way thru Miami and traffic.

I see a flight out of Phil that gets into Mia at the same time 1:05 that would save me the travel time to the port from FLL

I used Carnvial for the booking wonder what happens if we miss the boat

I hope you have insurance if that happens. More than one person who had flights thru Carnival missed their ship and Carnival doesnt give you a free cruise or anything, its on you.

I know there is some kind of "deviation fee" you can pay to Carnival to ensure direct flights/leaving the day before, etc. It may be worthwhile speaking to them about that, or asking to be switched to JFK or LGA, which has tons of non-stops leaving each a.m. Islip is definitely limited to where the planes fly, and many are non-direct flights. I would also be nervous about all the variables involved on getting there in time - especially if you have to go from FLL to Miami . Flying out of a NY airport - we have NEVER left on schedule - always delayed. Good luck, and let us know what happened.

Plus you have the connecting flight to worry about, I am a believer in traveling at least one day before the cruise.

Think "Murphy's Law".

There have been more and more threads about missed cruises both on this board and the RCL board. Flight delays, Cancellations, etc. My travel agent has everybody fly in the day before. It has saved at least six couples from missing their cruises in the last three months.

With the reports of cancelled/changed flights and a 1PM (at the earliest) arrival time at an airport that is 20+ miles from the cruise port I would be checking out the deviation fee for at least an earlier flight that goes in to MIA.

Just my 2¢

Charlie

Steve

Steve, I feel your pain--having to go thru Philly... I do that nearly every week.

What you might want to do is go onto your airline's website and see what flights come after your connection time in Philly and when they arrive in FLL. If something should happen to your flight, you want to know ahead of time that there might be another flight to get you there.

Secondly, you are leaving in the morning. USUALLY the morning flights are better than ones later in the day and have less delays.

You *could* change and fly from LGA or JFK instead of Islip. I don't believe there is a direct flight from Islip (unless it's with Southwest perhaps).

The other thing you could do to speed up your time is carry your luggage onto the plane so you don't have to wait for baggage claim... just a suggestion.

Do you have a limo or car service scheduled? That might be another thing you could do--those people are always there waiting when the plane arrives.

Keep us posted. I hope all is well and you make it. I feel confident you will.

Steve

You need to be onboard at 2.30.

Make sure your insurance covers the airline you are on.Some policies thru several companies exclude some airlines.

To the OP

You really need to change that flight. The odds are greater than 50% that you miss the ship. By the time you get your luggage in FLL it is going to be 1:45. It is about an hour or so from the airport to the port in Miami. That gets you there at 2:45 at the earliest. You have to be on board an hour before sailing. Which is 4:00 p.m. If you are the slightest bit late you are not getting on the ship.

Unless your into adrealine rushes, go a day early. We had a 4:00am flight canceled once, with no notice. We got lucky and got another flight, but not before a major melt down. From now on, it one day early for me. Waiting and dreaming of our cruise for over a year each time, and then to miss it, well, I would never be the same.

We fly from Detroit and I always get a direct flight now . Too many problems can be had with connecting flights. We had a connection on our flight to Moscow 3 years ago in Atlanta and of course our flight was delayed leaving Detroit by 30min. and we arrived in Atlanta watching our connecting flight just leaving. Only flight available was to Denmark and then Moscow, what a lousy way to start a vacation!!!! I hate connecting flights!!!

I also think that getting into Ft. Lauderdale that late is really cutting it close to get to Miami port.

i spoke to customer service who said that they think I should not have a issue i need to call back tomorrow to the Fly Aweigh department and explain my concerns. If i have to pay a deviation fee to get to Miami earlier I might

Will let you the outcome

Unless your into adrealine rushes, go a day early. We had a 4:00am flight canceled once, with no notice. We got lucky and got another flight, but not before a major melt down. From now on, it one day early for me. Waiting and dreaming of our cruise for over a year each time, and then to miss it, well, I would never be the same.

I understand completely - that sinking feeling that you might miss your ship is awful!

And you can't count on just knowing what other flights are available - even when you fly the day before. When it happened to us everything was booked for the next 18 hours.

The funny thing is that the cruise lines seem to cause most of the problems - by booking air through them. The one time I did this I almost missed my flight home, we had to run through the airport and got on just as they were closing the doors! Not a very good way to end a great vacation.

DaveOKC

Hi We've cruised 3 times and after our 1st we decided that going down at least 1 day early is the way to go. You can usually find a hotel that will provide free tranportation to the dock and you will be so much more at ease. Our next cruise leaves on a wed. but we decided to go down on sunday and have a nice 3 day stay in Fl. Whatever you decide have a great time. John and Pam, Franklin Wi.

i spoke to customer service who said that they think I should not have a issue i need to call back tomorrow to the Fly Aweigh department and explain my concerns. If i have to pay a deviation fee to get to Miami earlier I might

Will let you the outcome

Do not believe them. If you get into FLL at the time you mentioned you are going to miss the ship.

Archived